Newbie 732 - Abandoned

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:18 am

Post by Erratus Apathos »

Vote Count

Furpants_Tom: (3) orangepenguin, roflcopter, Infinis
Honko: (1) blizzire
blizzire: (1) Furpants_Tom

Not voting: Actarus, secret agent, luchs, Honko

Five votes to lynch. Deadline: February 14
Do you want your possessions identified?
blizzire
blizzire
Townie
blizzire
Townie
Townie

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:02 pm

Post by blizzire »

Unvote

changing votes just makes you more suspicious
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:45 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

roflcopter wrote: no matter what, ignoring him completely as a scum candidate based on an out of game event is a very bad idea.
True. But if he's not posting at all, there's no information we can gather about him, so I'm happy to ignore him while there are others to squeeze.
roflcopter wrote:there are subtle differences in the way that town and mafia act, even before bodies start piling up.
Probably. I just don't think there's anything we're likely to be able to reliably use. And chances are we will lynch the wrong person - I'd rather we acknowledge that today instead of getting the idea we can solve the puzzle right off the bat. That way leads to instalynching their hammerer tomorrow for no good reason.
roflcopter wrote: its way too early to accuse anyone of lurking, the game has barely gotten started. second, voting lurkers is a very safe scum play. you've got a ready excuse for the vote (you were lurking!) and if the player continues to lurk, or flakes altogether, your vote just sits there gathering dust and you don't have to get involved in the real arguments which make it possible to discern motives.
It's never too early to prompt people to post more. If we're going to have a chance of hanging scum tomorrow, we need 15 or more pages of conversation - and votes - to analyse by the 14th. It's pretty clear I don't believe in leaving my vote hanging around, and I've hardly been reticent about getting involved in debate, have I?
roflcopter wrote: and your ready acceptance of honko's non-answer to your inquiry looks like you're not actually interested in discerning his alignment, you're just moving your vote around to look like you're participating in the scumhunt.
I'm not interested in discerning his alignment. I'm interested in making him talk, so I can try to discern it later. I'm not Machiavelli, I don't have the perfect question, I just want more raw data from him. And he's not going to play along. Fair enough, but he's left me more suspicious than I was before.

roflcopter wrote:i'd also like to hear your thoughts on the vote for you placed by infinis. you completely ignored it. hoping it will go away if you don't say anything?

so, my vote stays, because i think you have a much higher than random chance of being scum.
I don't hope it'll go away. I hope the mafia pile on and hammer me (I'm at 3), then you guys take them out in quick succession over the next two nights. In that scenario I'm on the winning team, but that's not too likely, barring extreme incompetence. In other news, I fingered him as scum for no good reason; so of course he voted for me. That smells kinda townie to me; but I'll reserve judgement for now.

I'm more interested in his statement that I'm scumbuddies with you or Actarus. I'm interested in where he got that impression from.
Any comments?
blizzire wrote:changing votes just makes you more suspicious
True, but you haven't answered my question. Who do you think is guilty?
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:51 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

blizzire wrote:
Unvote

changing votes just makes you more suspicious
Not if it has good reasoning attached to it.
blizzire
blizzire
Townie
blizzire
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:07 am

Post by blizzire »

I don't really suspect anyone at this point
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:42 am

Tucking Fypo replaces secret agent.
Tucking Fypo
Tucking Fypo
Townie
Tucking Fypo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:49 am

Post by Tucking Fypo »

3 weeks seem like a long time for a day. I am used to playing a day that last 24 hours on a different site, so this should be interesting.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Yeah, 3 weeks is a whole mess of time. That means more airtime for the town, though, so I'm all in favour. Incidentally, now you're here, what do you think of the game so far? Any suspicions, niggling questions or glaring guilty verdicts?
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Unvote
Vote orangepenguin

Now I would like to know a little more about you, orange. How's the game been treating you so far?
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

3 weeks is hardly nothing. I am not a big fan of long drawn out days, personally, since I am an impatient person, but 3 weeks is very fast in mafia scum terms. I've had a game that was on the same page for a month, and on the same day for about 3. It was so frustrating, cause nobody would ever post. Bleh. rofl was in that game, and was fortunate enough to be lynched the day before that though.

How has the game been treating me? Meh. Page 3. No reads on anyone really. This isn't the worst batch that I've had to IC for, so that's good. I think it will be a pretty fun game, if everyone is dedicated enough, and the game never stalls. You can't really control that kind of thing though.

vote: tocking fiper
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:08 pm

Post by luchs »

Tucking Fypo wrote:3 weeks seem like a long time for a day. I am used to playing a day that last 24 hours on a different site, so this should be interesting.
I know, I've played at a site that its 24-48 hours sometimes 72, and if no one is lynched its either the person with the most votes, or random.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Come on, guys; quit playing so conservatively. If you lot don't start throwing some mud around, we'll never see what sticks.

I've given you all plenty to work with, so far - if there's a pattern to my accusations, you'll continue to get a steady stream of data to discern it. But blizzire, Honko and orangepenguin, you're giving us next to nothing to go on. Infinis and Actarus, it wouldn't hurt to have a bit more info from you two, as well. And tucking fypo is brand new, so some initial thoughts would be appreciated. roflcopter and luchs, I like the way you work, keep it up.

Oh, and specifically - Infinis, what makes you think I'm scumbuddies with Actarus or roflcopter?
Infinis
Infinis
Goon
Infinis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:08 pm

Post by Infinis »

Furpants_Tom wrote:Come on, guys; quit playing so conservatively. If you lot don't start throwing some mud around, we'll never see what sticks.

I've given you all plenty to work with, so far - if there's a pattern to my accusations, you'll continue to get a steady stream of data to discern it. But blizzire, Honko and orangepenguin, you're giving us next to nothing to go on. Infinis and Actarus, it wouldn't hurt to have a bit more info from you two, as well. And tucking fypo is brand new, so some initial thoughts would be appreciated. roflcopter and luchs, I like the way you work, keep it up.

Oh, and specifically - Infinis, what makes you think I'm scumbuddies with Actarus or roflcopter?
I feel you are back-and-forth a lot between the both of them. From my limited experience, it usually boils down to two voices battling it out and the town picking sides Day 1. When a third person gets in the mix, I feel that at least one of these three people is scum, if not more.

That being said, I felt the fear and/or anger over that second vote during random, so I'll
unvote. FoS luchs
instead of vote since he did try to explain his actions.
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:25 am

Post by luchs »

It was not fear or anger, it was trying to make sure that we kept this day going longer to ensure we had the most information to work on while finding scum. I have seen it in the past(on another site I have played on) that everyone piles on really quick the first day and then we get a dead townie or cop.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:00 am

Post by Actarus »

Furpants_Tom wrote:Come on, guys; quit playing so conservatively. If you lot don't start throwing some mud around, we'll never see what sticks.

/ shrug. There's really nothing for me to add to the discussion, imo, hence the silence. Nothing sticks out as scummy to me. I know infinis scum buddy theory is wrong, at least with regards to me. Interestingly enough, the only other thing I notice is that the will of the town seems to be leaning towards lynching you.
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:16 am

Post by luchs »

talking as long as it is on topic, is always beneficial to the town, not talking isn't. (there are a few exceptions)
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:18 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

OK, let's talk some more about lynching me. I wouldn't recommend we do anything before the 13th; but what is it about me that people are getting scum vibes off?
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:54 am

Vote Count

Furpants_Tom: (1) roflcopter
orangepenguin: (1) Furpants_Tom
Tucking Fypo: (1) orangepenguin

Not voting: Actarus, Tucking Fypo, luchs, Honko, blizzire, Infinis

Five votes to lynch. Deadline: February 14

Honko and roflcopter have been prodded.
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:42 am

Post by orangepenguin »

Actarus wrote:

/ shrug. There's really nothing for me to add to the discussion, imo, hence the silence. Nothing sticks out as scummy to me. I know infinis scum buddy theory is wrong, at least with regards to me. Interestingly enough, the only other thing I notice is that the will of the town seems to be leaning towards lynching you.
unvote, vote: actarus
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:43 am

Post by orangepenguin »

You have nothing to add, so you're basically active lurking, which I find scummy.
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:32 pm

Post by luchs »

Actarus you are lurking, so lets bring you actively into the converstion now.

vote actarus

Lurking doesn't help the town start talking and I will unvote.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Alright; still running a little bit cold for my liking. Let's do a deal:

I have a piece of information that I would quite like to share with you all before nightfall. It will be useful to both town, and, unfortunately, the mob. But I'm not keen to tell everyone until I have a better idea of how people think, and since it's the only thing of value I possess, I figure I might as well trade it for some genuine information.

So here are the rules of my game.

Everyone who wants to hear my information should post the following, in the following format:

A player you think could be scum
: 25 words or more on why you think that.
A player you think could be scum

A player you kinda trust
A player you kinda trust

If 6 out of the 8 other players post this information before February 6th, I will reveal my secret.
If everyone posts this information before February 6th, I'll also give you the benefit of the research I've been doing into similar cases on the site where this information popped up.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:21 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

I'll start, to give you an idea:

Potential Scum:

Blizzire
: Because he tells us nothing, and won't tell us why he won't tell us. At least Honko's considered opinion is that there's nothing much to say on Day 1 - Blizzire casts a lulzvote, hints that vote changing is suspicious, and responds to my query in 10 words or less.

orangepenguin
: Welcome to the bandwagon, good buddy. You've pointed someone out, which I appreciate, but your target is predictable - if not the beginning of a anti-lurk bandwagon - and your reasoning virtually cut-and-pasted from mine - squeeze the lurkers for info. Maybe I'm just that convincing; but something smells wrong about this play.

Probable Townies

Infinis
: Because of his overly rattled response to my vote, basically. It's possible he's just an accomplished method actor, but my read is that he was genuinely not expecting to be fingered, and had no support network (i.e. other scum) to run a response through before he posted.
roflcopter
: I like the way he asks questions, even if no-one really answers them. Trying to pull strategic information out of individuals is good town play, but mostly pointless for the mob; so unless his questions are pure fluff, or cunningly designed to sow division and distrust (which they're not), I like him for town. Actually, I kinda like him for Cop.
blizzire
blizzire
Townie
blizzire
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:28 pm

Post by blizzire »

A player you think could be scum: I think No Lynch is a scum because it is mostly the first person to be voted in mafia games. It also never talks yet does not get mod-killed.
A player you think could be scum: Furpants_Tom is suspected to be a scum because he knows a piece of information that would be useful to both town, and, unfortunately, the mafia.
A player you kinda trust: Blizzire is the person I trust because it is the only person who I know exactly what he does and what he can do, and because it is I.
A player you knda trust: I trust no one because I have no idea what it is. It is very very very very very very very very very very frustrating to not know what it is.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:35 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Oh, man, I just realised I actually read orangepenguin and luchs' posts in the wrong order. Urm, well, that sort of invalidates my previous paragraph a bit.

I do think Actarus is dodgy, for the reasons so far mentioned, but I hate feeling like a follower, so I'm not keen to pile on. Scratch my previous remarks about orangepenguin, and I'll come up with another scum-baiting paragraph in the near futar.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”