Newbie 732 - Abandoned

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Post by Erratus Apathos »

Vote Count

Furpants_Tom: (1) orangepenguin
blizzire: (1) Honko
Actarus: (1) roflcopter
orangepenguin: (1) Furpants_Tom
Honko: (1) blizzire

Not voting: Actarus, secret agent, luchs, Infinis

Five votes to lynch. Deadline: February 14
Do you want your possessions identified?
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:19 am

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Pffft, except that Tom of Tom & Jerry is not a cute fluffy little kitten; but a villainous, greedy, predatory cat! A terrible pick for a mafioso. Ergo, I must be a townie. So, uh, unvote me already, and I can switch my vote to a more deserving subject.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:24 am

Post by Furpants_Tom »

I was more afraid that someone was going to pull the "OMG! FURRY!" card right off the bat; because that's usually a good way to score a lulzlynch.

However, I want to take this opportunity to point out that the only furry here is luchs.

Oh yes, I've seen your website.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:46 am

Post by Actarus »

roflcopter wrote:guys, don't be so scared of a second vote. for the mafia to quicklynch from that point, they would both have to pile on, becoming extremely obvious.

i'd still like actarus to explain why he thinks we should be
random
lynching. there will be nothing random about any lynch i'm involved with.
You're taking what I said the wrong way. I NEVER said we the town should definitely go for a random lynch. I in fact ASKED the town if this was the time and place for such a thing, no?

I did however suggest that it's likely that at some point we may have to take such a risk however. It depends on a large number of factors, some I probably can't even think of (I'm a very average mafia player, IMO).
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:00 am

Post by Erratus Apathos »

secret agent has been prodded.
Do you want your possessions identified?
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:37 am

Post by roflcopter »

actarus, what do you consider to be a random lynch, then? any lynch without some kind of info provided by power roles?

if thats the case, we have very different opinions, and you should look more closely at the possible setups we have going because we're almost definitely going to need some of your so called "random" lynches, which i say aren't random at all.

furpants tom, have you played mafia before, and on what website?
soi soi soi

wins: open 69 (townie), mini 592 (sk), mini 617 (mafia rb), open 102 (mafia lover), crackers! (doctor), mini 712 (doctor), mini 715 (townie), mini 770 (inventor), lynch all lurkers (townie), mafia 100 (mason), space mafia (neighborizer)
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:41 am

Post by Actarus »

roflcopter wrote:actarus, what do you consider to be a random lynch, then? any lynch without some kind of info provided by power roles?

if thats the case, we have very different opinions, and you should look more closely at the possible setups we have going because we're almost definitely going to need some of your so called "random" lynches, which i say aren't random at all.

furpants tom, have you played mafia before, and on what website?
I'm confused where you're going with this...

A random lynch to me is exactly as it sounds; with zero information we attempt to lynch so-and-so from the list. Zero
meaningful
information.

We (the town) may be put into a situation where we have to do so, I can agree with you there. In fact, I think the probability of that happening to be quite high. My question for you: is NOW (day phase 1) the time to do so? Because right now, I have no clue who's town and who's scum right now, except for myself, and unless some meaningful information emerges between now and Valentine's Day, my vote would purely be a random vote.

Keep this in mind also, randomly lynching right now may very well be the way to go; that's why I put that question out there in my very first post! If someone wants to lead the town there, I'll happily go there.[/b]
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:49 am

Post by roflcopter »

ok, we disagree on some basic theory then. i don't think that today's lynch will be without meaning. the discussion that goes on between now and valentine's day will give us plenty of information to work with. have you ever played a totally vanilla setup? if so, how did you do anything nonrandomly? you look at player actions and interactions, and you try to deduce whether these actions would be coming from somebody in the uninformed majority or the informed minority.

unvote, vote: furpants tom
soi soi soi

wins: open 69 (townie), mini 592 (sk), mini 617 (mafia rb), open 102 (mafia lover), crackers! (doctor), mini 712 (doctor), mini 715 (townie), mini 770 (inventor), lynch all lurkers (townie), mafia 100 (mason), space mafia (neighborizer)
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:20 am

Post by Actarus »

roflcopter wrote:ok, we disagree on some basic theory then. i don't think that today's lynch will be without meaning. the discussion that goes on between now and valentine's day will give us plenty of information to work with. have you ever played a totally vanilla setup? if so, how did you do anything nonrandomly? you look at player actions and interactions, and you try to deduce whether these actions would be coming from somebody in the uninformed majority or the informed minority.

unvote, vote: furpants tom

I never said a lynch was without meaning though; even a mislynch has meaning / is a valuable clue. If I stated or implied otherwise, my apologies.

This is indeed my first vanilla setup game, and you're definitely right in that valuable information can emerge between now and the 14th.

At this point however, I don't really see anything but that could just absolutely be me being dense.

:oops:
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:05 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

roflcopter wrote: furpants tom, have you played mafia before, and on what website?
Yep; on a university club website at my old uni - www.sutekh.info/forums . I'm not sure if the old threads are still up, or if you'd be interested in digging through them; but to save you the time, I'm generally guilty as sin. Which is why being a townie this game should prove a refreshing change. :lol:

And, just to be contrary, I agree with both Actarus and roflcopter. As roflcopter notes, there will be a lot of information between now and the 14th; all of it with meaning. But as Actarus notes, there's no way of discerning signal from noise at this early stage; so our first lynch is effectively random, barring serious mafia incompetence. Once we have firm, objective reference points - corpses and their roles - then we can dig back through the first day's information and figure out what's meaningful, and what's fluff.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Incidentally, if I was to be suspicious of anyone, it would be the near-lurkers - blizzire, honko, and infinis.

Secret Agent probably got vanilla townie, lost interest, and we'll never see them again.

I think Actarus and roflcopter have drawn too much attention too early to be serious mafia contenders.

orangepenguin and luchs are possible. But I think the first 3 I mentioned are better bets.
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:23 pm

Post by luchs »

Furpants_Tom wrote:I was more afraid that someone was going to pull the "OMG! FURRY!" card right off the bat; because that's usually a good way to score a lulzlynch.

However, I want to take this opportunity to point out that the only furry here is luchs.

Oh yes, I've seen your website.
??http://luchs.com/??
Infinis
Infinis
Goon
Infinis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:48 pm

Post by Infinis »

luchs wrote:The random phase is purely to start conversation, it is better if we can avoid a kill. I unvoted mainly to avoid people piling onto someone who we have no proof of anyything and no incriminating posts yet. So lets just keep up the conversation. Even though we do not have much to go on lets all try to say a few things.
1- If you had to lynch someone right now who would it be?
2-Is there anyone you feel might be scum?
3- What ever else we need conversation.
I realize there isn't much to go off yet but lets keep it rolling.
Wow, are u serious? What is there to go off? At this point, it's going to be just guessing which is no better then a random lynch.
Furpants_Tom wrote:Incidentally, if I was to be suspicious of anyone, it would be the near-lurkers - blizzire, honko, and infinis.

Secret Agent probably got vanilla townie, lost interest, and we'll never see them again.

I think Actarus and roflcopter have drawn too much attention too early to be serious mafia contenders.

orangepenguin and luchs are possible. But I think the first 3 I mentioned are better bets.
Lurker...me. Please explain this to me. With two pages of posts and the mod taking up 9 posts, how can you accuse anyone of lurking or near-lurking?

This seems like distancing from your scumbuddy Actarus or roflcopter. But at this point, all things being equal, I am definitely in agreement with roflcopter's last post
vote: Furpants
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:52 pm

Post by luchs »

Infinis wrote:
luchs wrote: I realize there isn't much to go off yet but lets keep it rolling.
Wow, are u serious? What is there to go off? At this point, it's going to be just guessing which is no better then a random lynch.
Accusations would get people talking, and talking helps the two win so talking is good.
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:52 pm

Post by luchs »

town not two....
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:16 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Unvote
luchs
luchs
Townie
luchs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Post by luchs »

furpants, what website were you referring too?
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

It was a joke, there's no website. Just the normal making fun of furries meme; which replaced "Your Mum" jokes somewhere around 2005.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Vote: Honko
Honko
Honko
Townie
Honko
Townie
Townie

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Post by Honko »

unvote

Why put a 2nd vote on me Furpants?
Honk Honk
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:21 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Mainly to get you talking. Who do you think is guilty?
Honko
Honko
Townie
Honko
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:29 pm

Post by Honko »

Nobody has stood out as suspicious to me yet, that's why I didn't post anything. I don't think there's much to say on Day 1 unless someone makes a big mistake.
Honk Honk
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:39 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

OK, fair enough.

Unvote, Vote blizzire

Same question: Who's your pick?
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:53 am

Post by roflcopter »

furpants wrote:Secret Agent probably got vanilla townie, lost interest, and we'll never see them again.
thats a really, really dangerous assumption to make. there are many reasons for someone to flake from a game, especially their first game on this site, and disinterest because of being vanilla is only one of those. if anything, i wouldn't expect a disinterested vanilla to flake until a week or two into the game. i'd say its more likely secret agent signed up and forgot about this website altogether. no matter what, ignoring him completely as a scum candidate based on an out of game event is a very bad idea.
furpants wrote:Once we have firm, objective reference points - corpses and their roles - then we can dig back through the first day's information and figure out what's meaningful, and what's fluff.
if we pay attention, i don't think we have to wait until day two in order to find meaningful information. there are subtle differences in the way that town and mafia act, even before bodies start piling up.
furpants wrote:Incidentally, if I was to be suspicious of anyone, it would be the near-lurkers - blizzire, honko, and infinis.
ok, two things - first, its way too early to accuse anyone of lurking, the game has barely gotten started. second, voting lurkers is a very safe scum play. you've got a ready excuse for the vote (you were lurking!) and if the player continues to lurk, or flakes altogether, your vote just sits there gathering dust and you don't have to get involved in the real arguments which make it possible to discern motives.

the way you're just moving your vote from one lurker to the next really looks to me like you're just trying to find a safe, out of the way place to park it. and your ready acceptance of honko's non-answer to your inquiry looks like you're not actually interested in discerning his alignment, you're just moving your vote around to look like you're participating in the scumhunt.

i'd also like to hear your thoughts on the vote for you placed by infinis. you completely ignored it. hoping it will go away if you don't say anything?

so, my vote stays, because i think you have a much higher than random chance of being scum.
soi soi soi

roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:54 am

Post by roflcopter »

Honko wrote:Nobody has stood out as suspicious to me yet, that's why I didn't post anything. I don't think there's much to say on Day 1 unless someone makes a big mistake.
what do you think of the exchange between myself and actarus. do you think it makes either of us more likely to be scum? to be town?

what do you think of infinis' vote for furpants tom?
soi soi soi

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”