Mini #717 - Alpha Centauri Smalltown (Game Over!)

iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #850 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:40 am

Post by iamausername »

"Therefore a wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him."

-- Niccolo Machiavelli, "The Prince", Datalinks

-=Vote Count #27=-

Not Voting (5) - charter, Claus, Occam, ortolan, Raging Rabbit

3 to lynch.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #851 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:34 am

Post by ortolan »

charter (849) wrote:Crap. I just reread win conditions. I was thinking of some scenarios where the worst case would be everyone dying (desired by no one), but I think a lot of them still wind up with a town loss because mafia or SK still win if they go to night with themself and a townie alive. I was thinking I could vig them if we lynched wrong, but that will still result in a loss, sooooo...
I think we have to lynch right today.
Oh, we do have to lynch right today, that's not in dispute. And the only chance of that happening is an Occam/Claus lynch. It is of course slightly possible RR is scum but as I said I don't see his motivation at all for clearing you if he is. Plus it's not like anyone would vote for him over me anyway. Thus I am assuming you both are town.

And yes, if I'm scum then if you lynch Claus/Occam then town will lose, either because everyone dies, scum/mafia is left with the last townie tomorrow or because the townie is left in a king-maker decision between lynching the SK and lynching the mafia tomorrow.

What I am saying is if I am scum I have no motivation to ask you to vig me tonight if Occam/Charter flips town, because that would automatically make my win condition impossible. And town is screwed if they don't lynch Claus/Occam anyway (because I am town).
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #852 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:25 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Trying to figure some stuff out in my head -

If we mislynch today, that leaves me, charter and two scum. If Claus is left alive it's 100% town loss, otherwise (if he's lynched and turns town) there's a chance for Occam and ort to crosskill, or for them both to hit the same townie and put us in prisoner's dillema where they have another chance to crosskill or possibly end up with everyone dead. So in the only case it matters, the dominant strategy for charter is clearly to no-kill.

ortolan's suggestion made him look very good at first glance, but then I figured he's the obvious vig target for charter anyways if he decides to vig after a mislynch, so it can also be an attempt at the "he's too willing to die to be scum, so I won't kill him" WIFOM game. So it doesn't tell me much, really. The thing that does slightly work in his favor is him being a doctor, and therefore capable of preventing a kill tonight if we lynch right and he's town. A sucessful protection allows us an extra townkill to find the last scum tomorrow. Still, it's kinda a minor difference. We should definitely focus on lynching whoever's scummiest.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #853 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:37 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

I reread Gremwell and ort's early posting, Gremwell I find odd but not the least bit scummy (I think unlike MM, he seemed totally aware that the "let's kill 'em both" plan will attract bad attention and can't see how that's a good thing for him as scum to pull off), and ort feels town but it's sorta a mafia tell that he says very little about Oman and Cephrir in his big catch-up posts.
I remember having slight SK vibes from both DP and Occam, will reread them both and take another look at ort when I'll have the time.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #854 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:03 pm

Post by charter »

Actually, I don't think we should do much of anything but rereading and keeping our thoughts to ourselves until Claus has posted a lot of substance. He's been an entire non-entity and to be honest, DP didn't do a whole lot either.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #855 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Dunno about saying nothing, freezing a game like that can be crippling. We definitely need to hear loads more from Claus.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #856 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:15 pm

Post by Occam »

There must be a way we can plan our night actions so as to make it impossible for scum to win - as long as we lynch right today, that is.

Remember that conversation we had way back when about whether or not it would be dangerous to have a bulletproof scum? Well, I have a feeling we've hit that point in the road. I
think
we need to lynch Claus in order for any sort of night action coordinating to be effective, so I advocate that for the moment - but I'm going to need to think through and see if it's possible to use our night actions FTW - I think there's got to be a way.
Slice.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #857 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:23 pm

Post by charter »

Well, claus is only going to be gone one more day supposedly. After thinking about it, I'm not so sure how helpful his thoughts will be. It will be easy to give them knowing the alignment of most of the people, so who knows. Scratch my say nothing until Claus posts idea.

I've definately been throwing around lynching claus today regardless of if I find him scummy too, Occam. I've been trying to come up with some way for town to win regardless, but so far I can get maybe a guaranteed tie.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #858 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:22 pm

Post by ortolan »

well, feel more than free to vig me if he flips town charter
RR (852) wrote: ortolan's suggestion made him look very good at first glance, but then I figured he's the obvious vig target for charter anyways if he decides to vig after a mislynch, so it can also be an attempt at the "he's too willing to die to be scum, so I won't kill him" WIFOM game. So it doesn't tell me much, really.
This is besides the point. It's obvious at this point that if I'm scum I'm going to lose. I will either get lynched today or vigged tonight if I am scum. I have absolutely nothing to gain by offering myself up for a vig- as I said, all it accomplishes if I am scum is causing town to lose, but I also lose in the process.

The problem is, when Claus-SK gets lynched today, I can still foresee you throwing away the game for town by lynching me instead of Occam tomorrow.
RR (853) wrote:I reread Gremwell and ort's early posting, Gremwell I find odd but not the least bit scummy (I think unlike MM, he seemed totally aware that the "let's kill 'em both" plan will attract bad attention and can't see how that's a good thing for him as scum to pull off), and ort feels town but it's sorta a mafia tell that he says very little about Oman and Cephrir in his big catch-up posts.
I remember having slight SK vibes from both DP and Occam, will reread them both and take another look at ort when I'll have the time.
This is quite unfair. Most of my posts have been to get the heat off Gremwell, as a huge number of people suspected him when I replaced in. My posts were in response to people like charter wagoning the fuck out of me. So if you thought Gremwell was town then finding me scummy is rather unfair because my posts were in response to others perceiving him as scummy. I don't think I've done anything properly scummy the whole game.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #859 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:04 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

ortolan wrote:This is besides the point. It's obvious at this point that if I'm scum I'm going to lose. I will either get lynched today or vigged tonight if I am scum. I have absolutely nothing to gain by offering myself up for a vig- as I said, all it accomplishes if I am scum is causing town to lose, but I also lose in the process.
Scum-you has absolutely nothing to lose, either. It's obvious you're by far the most likely vig target if we mislynch today (assuming charter chooses to kill), whether you offer yourself up for it or not, so it's definitely a viable option for you to offer yourself up in order to maybe get charter to reconsider.
Also, a no vig is a very viable choice after a mislynch - probably the one that maximizes the town's small chances of winning, as far as I can tell - so asking to be vigged is kinda an empty gesture.

ortoaln wrote:This is quite unfair. Most of my posts have been to get the heat off Gremwell, as a huge number of people suspected him when I replaced in. My posts were in response to people like charter wagoning the fuck out of me. So if you thought Gremwell was town then finding me scummy is rather unfair because my posts were in response to others perceiving him as scummy. I don't think I've done anything properly scummy the whole game.
I was talking how about your long catch-up posts say very little about both Oman and Ceph, which makes you slightly more likely mafia since they have a tendency to ignore their buddies.
Something in the above paragraph reads authentic to me, though. It sounds like you genuinely feel mistreated.

That's twice now that you tried to "confirm" yourself by unconvincing measures, completely ignoring the motivation for scum-you do to the same. I'm starting to think you're genuinely convinced that they really clear you, since knowing that you're town you just never tried to look at things from the prespective of people who don't know your alignment and think of possible scum motivation for the very same things you do as town. The arguments themselves are unconvincing, but if you truely believe them they're a strong towntell. I need to think this through.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #860 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:05 am

Post by Occam »

Yeah I really don't like the way ort is putting himself up as a vig target. If you were town you'd want to live through a night that could potentially equal a town loss if we mislynch today - so you clearly aren't too concerned about the town winning.
Slice.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #861 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:36 am

Post by ortolan »

Occam (860) wrote:Yeah I really don't like the way ort is putting himself up as a vig target. If you were town you'd want to live through a night that could potentially equal a town loss if we mislynch today - so you clearly aren't too concerned about the town winning.
That's obv crap logic. I clearly said I am willing to assume RR and charter are town because town is screwed if they are not- thus lynching me is as bad as lynching either of them.

I know that you and Claus will flip scum so it does me no harm to ask to be vigged if you don't- the offer was just for their perspective because it amounts to throwing the game if I was scum.

And notice if I am SK or mafia then the other scum faction obviously doesn't find me scummy otherwise they no doubt would have killed me last night to ensure they were the only ones left in the end-game v.s. town (again WIFOM, but still).
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #862 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 am

Post by charter »

ort, you're being very sure in your RR is town. I've actually been entertaining quite a few thoughts about Occam being the last mafia after his extremely weak hammer of Ceph yesterday.

Ort, can you explain that last paragraph there? I'm not sure I follow it. Empking was the obvious choice (in my opinion) for both their kills. We could have forced one of them to hammer Emp, and when they invariably didn't do it, we could just lynch them. Eerily close to Cephir..
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #863 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:24 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

charter wrote:Ort, can you explain that last paragraph there? I'm not sure I follow it. Empking was the obvious choice (in my opinion) for both their kills. We could have forced one of them to hammer Emp, and when they invariably didn't do it, we could just lynch them. Eerily close to Cephir..
I don't think this logic works, killing emp basically means that whoever in the alternate reality in which he survives is considered second scummiest and forced to hammer emp, simply gets lynched instead. I was actually quite surprised to see emp NKd.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #864 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:27 pm

Post by charter »

You're not Ort.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #865 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Post by ortolan »

First of all, I was just talking in general terms- if I'm scum then the other scum, if they thought I was scum would optimally have killed me last night to be in the end-game against town all by themselves.

This I believe suggests that at least one scum (regardless of whether I'm the other scum or not) doesn't find me scummy.

But although this isn't what you said that argument wasn't too good-not for the reasons you stated but because Empking did look extremely scummy (and they thus would want to remove him), so I may have still been their second preference.

But the fact Empking was supersaint alone doesn't make him an "obvious target" at all, it assumes the town was competent enough to have their second suspect after him be scum- in which case if they kill Empking then this person becomes their number suspect anyway.

Tell me if this isn't clear, but basically, yer I've realised that argument doesn't do too much to clear me.

Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #866 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:19 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

charter wrote:You're not Ort.
Sorry, thought you were raising a topic for general discussion. What were you hoping to glean from his response on emp?
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #867 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:05 am

Post by charter »

Some kind of slip up from him. Anything really. Though your post is good, I just wanted to see what Ort had to say.

Hopefully I can reread this game today and point out stuff I think makes someone scum or stuff that makes them the SK. Do we have a deadline for this day?
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #868 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:58 am

Post by iamausername »

charter wrote:Do we have a deadline for this day?
iamausername wrote:Deadline set for Monday, 16th February.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #869 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:43 pm

Post by charter »

Ok, so not for a while.

RR, can you give me (as of right now) the two people you think are LEAST likely to be SK/mafia please?
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #870 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:50 pm

Post by charter »

And a brief reason for each.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #871 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

charter wrote:RR, can you give me (as of right now) the two people you think are LEAST likely to be SK/mafia please?
Well, we have 5 people alive. I know I'm town, and I know you're town. So the SK and mafia are two out of ort, Occam and Claus. I'm wavering on ort right now, barring another reread I'll go with Claus as SK and Occam and ort being about equally likely to be the last scum.
So the two are you, for being confirmed as far as I'm concerned, and Occam/ ort which I don't find particurlarly scummy but know one of them has to be scum.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #872 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:09 pm

Post by charter »

Ok, I was just seeing if you would say me and you were definate townies. Before you'd said I was 'essentially confirmed' which has been nagging me.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #873 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Technically someone could've blocked ML with a farside gift, but the chance of that is so small I'm willing to consider you confirmed for all intents and purposes.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #874 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:00 pm

Post by ortolan »

more than happy to cooperate with any questions or plans to test my alignment

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”