Newbie 732 - Abandoned

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:22 am

Post by Actarus »

Hmmm...well, this is definitely going to be a change of pace for me. I'm more used to theme games. Not sure if a random lynch is in order, but I have a feeling that at some point we're going to have to do just that. The question is: is now that time?
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (isolation #1) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:57 am

Post by Actarus »

roflcopter wrote:actarus - what mafia site do you usually play at
Here: http://67.19.230.90/~arles/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=148

Just to let you know, there didn't used to be a mafia section. Mafia games used to be played in the "Dog Pound", then got moved to "Special Dynasties". Finally, a separate mafia section was created fairly recently.

Same username there as here. Right now, I'm playing at GDS "Recess" mafia, themed after the Disney cartoon that I've never watched in my life.

Are the vote(s) on me random? Or...what?
:?
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (isolation #2) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:46 am

Post by Actarus »

roflcopter wrote:guys, don't be so scared of a second vote. for the mafia to quicklynch from that point, they would both have to pile on, becoming extremely obvious.

i'd still like actarus to explain why he thinks we should be
random
lynching. there will be nothing random about any lynch i'm involved with.
You're taking what I said the wrong way. I NEVER said we the town should definitely go for a random lynch. I in fact ASKED the town if this was the time and place for such a thing, no?

I did however suggest that it's likely that at some point we may have to take such a risk however. It depends on a large number of factors, some I probably can't even think of (I'm a very average mafia player, IMO).
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (isolation #3) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:41 am

Post by Actarus »

roflcopter wrote:actarus, what do you consider to be a random lynch, then? any lynch without some kind of info provided by power roles?

if thats the case, we have very different opinions, and you should look more closely at the possible setups we have going because we're almost definitely going to need some of your so called "random" lynches, which i say aren't random at all.

furpants tom, have you played mafia before, and on what website?
I'm confused where you're going with this...

A random lynch to me is exactly as it sounds; with zero information we attempt to lynch so-and-so from the list. Zero
meaningful
information.

We (the town) may be put into a situation where we have to do so, I can agree with you there. In fact, I think the probability of that happening to be quite high. My question for you: is NOW (day phase 1) the time to do so? Because right now, I have no clue who's town and who's scum right now, except for myself, and unless some meaningful information emerges between now and Valentine's Day, my vote would purely be a random vote.

Keep this in mind also, randomly lynching right now may very well be the way to go; that's why I put that question out there in my very first post! If someone wants to lead the town there, I'll happily go there.[/b]
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (isolation #4) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:20 am

Post by Actarus »

roflcopter wrote:ok, we disagree on some basic theory then. i don't think that today's lynch will be without meaning. the discussion that goes on between now and valentine's day will give us plenty of information to work with. have you ever played a totally vanilla setup? if so, how did you do anything nonrandomly? you look at player actions and interactions, and you try to deduce whether these actions would be coming from somebody in the uninformed majority or the informed minority.

unvote, vote: furpants tom

I never said a lynch was without meaning though; even a mislynch has meaning / is a valuable clue. If I stated or implied otherwise, my apologies.

This is indeed my first vanilla setup game, and you're definitely right in that valuable information can emerge between now and the 14th.

At this point however, I don't really see anything but that could just absolutely be me being dense.

:oops:
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (isolation #5) » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:00 am

Post by Actarus »

Furpants_Tom wrote:Come on, guys; quit playing so conservatively. If you lot don't start throwing some mud around, we'll never see what sticks.

I've given you all plenty to work with, so far - if there's a pattern to my accusations, you'll continue to get a steady stream of data to discern it. But blizzire, Honko and orangepenguin, you're giving us next to nothing to go on. Infinis and Actarus, it wouldn't hurt to have a bit more info from you two, as well. And tucking fypo is brand new, so some initial thoughts would be appreciated. roflcopter and luchs, I like the way you work, keep it up.

Oh, and specifically - Infinis, what makes you think I'm scumbuddies with Actarus or roflcopter?
/ shrug. There's really nothing for me to add to the discussion, imo, hence the silence. Nothing sticks out as scummy to me. I know infinis scum buddy theory is wrong, at least with regards to me. Interestingly enough, the only other thing I notice is that the will of the town seems to be leaning towards lynching you.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #89 (isolation #6) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:03 am

Post by Actarus »

Alright, I'll fill out the form

A player you think could be scum
: Orangepenguin; I appreciate his logic but it's wrong regarding me.
A player you think could be scum
: furpants tom; if you have actual, concrete information to share then share it.

A player you kinda trust
: luchs, despite his vote on me.
A player you kinda trust
: Actarus, because I know I'm true blue.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #90 (isolation #7) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:05 am

Post by Actarus »

Tucking Fypo wrote: I agree with alot the you said. This game seems to be moving very slowly.
/ nod. General question for non-newbies at this site: are the day phases / night phases here always this long (2-3 weeks)? I'm more used to 24-72 hours phases. At that pace, especially once day phase 2 arrives, information usually (though not always) just seems to trickle down the pipe without too much effort.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #105 (isolation #8) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:01 am

Post by Actarus »

So Tucking Fypo claimed a cop on day 1...interesting.

Furpants_Tom wrote: So, in conclusion, I think Actarus is our best shot at scum. After him, I'd nominate roflcopter and orangepenguin as no. 3. I think Tucking Fypo probably isn't the cop; but if he lives through the night, there's a fair chance he's scum.
And I think blizz won't miss me when I'm dead. :)
Like Orange, I appreciate your effort and logic, but you're wrong.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #111 (isolation #9) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:03 pm

Post by Actarus »

Furpants_Tom wrote:
Unvote
Vote Actarus

*Puts money where mouth is*
Go for it, but my warning to you is that once my role is revealed, it'll make you look VERY bad.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #125 (isolation #10) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:41 am

Post by Actarus »

Tucking Fypo wrote:
Actarus wrote:
Furpants_Tom wrote:
Unvote
Vote Actarus

*Puts money where mouth is*
Go for it, but my warning to you is that once my role is revealed, it'll make you look VERY bad.
This post stands out to me. Seems mafia like IMO. What is your role Actarus?

Right now I have a midterm today and tomorrow so I am busy ATM. I have been trying to keep up with the game as much as possible.

If Actarus isn't lynched then I will investigate him.
My role is vanilla; nothing special about me.

Your right that my post can be seen as scummy, but honestly wasn't intended to be so. IF I'm lynched and my role is revealed, it won't make Tom look good and the town as a whole will be less trusting of him. In my mind, he's working hard trying to build comraderie and gain support; lynching me will fail to accomplish that, and if he is a townie himself, people will not trust his instincts for a moment. Hence the warning; basically "don't say I didn't warn you."
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #134 (isolation #11) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:46 am

Post by Actarus »

Tucking Fypo wrote:How is posting more considered to be scummy? The more that is posted, the more information you get.

I think that if you are a civ, then you should try your best to post as much as you can.

Right now I think Acatarus is mafia. His reactions are very unconvincing and screams mafia IMO.
IF I don't get lynched (I'm curious if it'll go through), you're more than welcome to investigate me.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #138 (isolation #12) » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:19 am

Post by Actarus »

Okay, general mafia question for those that have played more than 5 games (including this, it's my 6th), so.

What's your experience with day phase 1? Specifically conversation-wise?

My experience is that it's somewhat rare for meaningful game-related information to come out. The funniest for me was a full-on role claim in another mafia game I'm playing right now (the theme is the Disney Cartoon Recess). Also, I'll admit that Fypo claiming his role was unexpected. Whether that was a good move or not will be revealed in due time, but I digress.

Generally if there's conversation going on, it's usually not game related. Again, in my experience. Once we get past the first night phase, information starts trickling down the pipe because we'll have something to work with. Whether it's a lynch / mislynch / night activity, there's something to go on to help put this puzzle together.

Also, because it's farther along one can read / interpret one's behavior / body language more easily simply because the game is farther along. Point of interest, patterns, lies, deception, etc. will be evident to some degree.

Again, these are just my personal experiences and I don't mean to make vast sweeping generalizations. Ultimately, I'm curious. So what's your experience like with day phase 1?
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #156 (isolation #13) » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:54 am

Post by Actarus »

Furpants_Tom wrote:Actarus is looking pretty likely; and I have to say that, barring a switch towards roflcopter, I'll be casting my vote for him/her on the 14th.

Actarus - if you're actually town, that means your thoughts are going to be extremely important on the morning of Day 2; once your status is verified. Do you have any thoughts on individuals you could share with us?
Sorry, but I have no knowledge / insight into anyone else's role at the moment. I shared my feelings on a typical day phase 1, and there's a reason I've voted on no one. If a lynch of me goes through, it'd be a mislynch and should make everyone think twice.

Things should become more evident by day phase 2 hopefully. If the town honestly believes me to be scum, so be it. But ask yourself if this is truly what you believe before throwing your vote down.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #188 (isolation #14) » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:21 am

Post by Actarus »

Tucking Fypo wrote:With this recent rush to try and save Actarus I am all more secure in thinking that he is mafia.

If I die today then I want you guys to look at all my post carefully.
I find it interesting that you'd frame the "recent rush" of activity as an attempt to save me. I see it as people seeing Furpants as more scummy than me.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #191 (isolation #15) » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:03 pm

Post by Actarus »

Vote: Furpants_Tom

Well, this is quite pickle I’m in, lol! Infinis, the hammer is quite literally in your hands.

If I do get lynched, I wish the town luck quite simply because I am town. I wish I could leave a “look at this guy” list, but I said this before and I’ll say it again: not enough to go on right now (it’s day phase 1 people!) for me to judge anyone at the moment.

The ONLY thing I found weird was Tucking Fypo claiming cop the way he did. I’d like to know how many games he’s played, because it COULD be a rookie mistake, or a gutsy risk.

If I DO survive, and if Fypo is a cop, again, I welcome an investigation.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #196 (isolation #16) » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Post by Actarus »

orangepenguin wrote:
Actarus wrote:
Vote: Furpants_Tom

Well, this is quite pickle I’m in, lol! Infinis, the hammer is quite literally in your hands.

If I do get lynched, I wish the town luck quite simply because I am town. I wish I could leave a “look at this guy” list, but I said this before and I’ll say it again: not enough to go on right now (it’s day phase 1 people!) for me to judge anyone at the moment.

The ONLY thing I found weird was Tucking Fypo claiming cop the way he did. I’d like to know how many games he’s played, because it COULD be a rookie mistake, or a gutsy risk.

If I DO survive, and if Fypo is a cop, again, I welcome an investigation.
:? I disagree that we have little to go on. While me may not have as much info as we would in later days, the posts here speak for themselves and if you haven't come to a decision by now, than I don't know what else to say.

I also don't like the subtle cop directing at the end.
unvote, vote: Actarus
Sorry, but you're wrong on both counts. I sincerely hope you start thinking twice about your assumptions when my identity is revealed.

Good luck town.
Actarus
Actarus
Townie
Actarus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #197 (isolation #17) » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:42 pm

Post by Actarus »

Infinis wrote:Sarnath'd but

So the question in my mind why am I the hammer? Maybe people aren't on often enough to coordinate, but I see no reason for scum to be on the same wagon. If they are splitting up to remain hidden then we have this situation, 4 to 4 and a town hammer.

No lynch is a scum bonus but why not just lynch a townie and get their night kill in afterward?

Therefore I have to weigh the split scum vs. same wagon scum. The split up scum is a shot in the dark. The together scum wagon allows me to look each wagon and decide which is scummiest, since half of the wagon will be scum.

With orange switching, I think we may get somewhere. I was going to stick with my furpants vote, since Actarus's wagon is scummy, maybe not scum but scummy play
I meant you were the hammer vote on a lynch; nothing more than that. But that was before orange switched his vote, which I honestly didn't think of.

Oh well...

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”