Newbie 74 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:45 am

Post by mathcam »

JaggedCrags has requested replacement, and I'm on it.

Cam
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:14 pm

Post by Myopia »

..ok then. looks like we are waiting for the replacement. i guess thats somewhat timely given the impending holidays. im here for about the next 12 hours then I will be spending the next 4 days at the beach with no internet access.

merry christmas to all (even the scummy people)
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:16 am

Post by kieron »

Merry Christmas, all!

"For a child is born to us, a son is given to us; upon his shoulder dominion rests. They name him Wonder-Counselor, God-Hero, Father-Forever, Prince of Peace." Is 9:5
Signatures, while sometimes clever or interesting, quickly get boring when seen over and over.
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:23 pm

Post by Locus Cosecant »

I'm leaving until Monday to visit relatives. Please don't lynch me while I'm away.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
Pro-Town: 14 of 17 games
Doctor: 3 of 17 games
Cop: 2 of 17 games
Wins: 12 of 17 games
Lynched Scum: 16 of 27 lynches
Vig-killed Scum: 1 of 1 vig-kills
Survived/NightKilled/Lynched: 5/11/1 games
[/size]
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:22 pm

Post by JDTAY »

Oh, I don't think you have to worry about that, with the pace of the game being what it is.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:51 pm

Post by Talitha »

So who is going to help me lynch inHim? I can't do it all by myself!
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:04 am

Post by JDTAY »

Well, Tally, if a bandwagon on inHim grows large, I wouldn't want to Nader the voting. You're still my number one suspect though.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:38 am

Post by mathcam »

KingEnigma hasn't checked his PM box yet, so unfortunately, we're going to have to wait for another day or so.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cam
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:53 am

Post by kieron »

Tal - I'm not dead set against Myopia...I'm happy to vote for someone else high on my list of suspects!
Signatures, while sometimes clever or interesting, quickly get boring when seen over and over.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:08 pm

Post by Talitha »

Well at this point I guess I feel the same way kieron. Which basically means I'd be happy to lynch anyone except myself, JD, or Myopia.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:09 pm

Post by Talitha »

We do need to hear from King Enigma though.
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:58 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

Locus wrote: Can we trust JDTAY if there's no counterclaim?
Reread tonight and found the above. I'm fairly sure Tal's brought this forth before in her own suspicions, but this comment keeps me happy with my vote. LC seems like he has a good grasp of the game, and should know that JDTAY's claim is good, making this question more of a ploy for us to doubt the doctor.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:41 am

Post by mathcam »

Dmi is replacing jaggedcraggs immediately.

Cam
Dmi
Dmi
Goon
Dmi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:04 am

Post by Dmi »

Hi. On to business. I believe that JDTAY is the doc, since no one seems to counterclaim. Myopia, however, seems scummy to me. I'd vote for her, but I'm not sure if putting a third vote on would be wise. Anyway, I'd like a roleclaim.
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:16 am

Post by kieron »

Well, I'm out of town from tomorrow noon until 1/10 - I thought we'd be wrapped up by then, but it's gone more slowly than I thought!

Please feel free to replace me (or lynch me?) if you don't want to wait...

Kieron
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:34 am

Post by Talitha »

PLEASE don't claim on 2 votes. Claiming should be a last resort.

Why does Myopia seem scummy to you Dmi?
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:41 am

Post by Locus Cosecant »

inHimshallibe wrote: LC seems like he has a good grasp of the game, and should know that JDTAY's claim is good, making this question more of a ploy for us to doubt the doctor.
I've finished a grand total of one game of mafia ever, so, despite what I may believe to be the case, I lack the confidence to make statements about theory with conclusivity, especially since it is not unimpeachably necessary that an undisputed doc claim be certain. Rather, it depends on social convention of under what circumstance people claim.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
Dmi
Dmi
Goon
Dmi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:40 pm

Post by Dmi »

Locus, when a mafioso claims doctor, it would make sense for the real doc to come out and take down the mafia instead of letting a mafioso get away with looking innocent. It's common sense. I think you're trying to look more unaware than you are.
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:55 pm

Post by Locus Cosecant »

Dmi wrote:Locus, when a mafioso claims doctor, it would make sense for the real doc to come out and take down the mafia instead of letting a mafioso get away with looking innocent. It's common sense. I think you're trying to look more unaware than you are.
I agree, if the social convention is that you always believe an unopposed doc claim. However, that's not a god-given truth, just a social convention, which is why I wanted to make sure of the social convention before proceeding.

After all, I still have people voting me after I claimed doc in Mini-140.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:13 pm

Post by Talitha »

Did you miss my question Dmi? Why does Myopia seem scummy to you?
Dmi
Dmi
Goon
Dmi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:34 am

Post by Dmi »

Myopia wrote:After re-reading the (short) thread to date the scummiest behavior seems to be jdtay in voting for an experienced (and impliedly a skilled analyst) player in talitha. However that was so early that I cant put much weight to it at this point. Half a
FOS jdtay

Otherwise, kieron is going out of his way to make it clear he is a new player which means he might be trying to cultivate that appearance to look less suspicious or, shock horror, he might simply be what he seems.
That's a stupid reason. Anyone can be mafia. Kieron was trying to understand the game better, the point of newbie games. As were you, so you're being hypocritical.
Myopia wrote:Hypocritical? Not at all. Im simply posting what are my (admittedly and expressly) initial responses to what is some very limited information.

I think your being overly defensive.
Um, you're the one defending yourself right now. And the responses were hypocritical.
Myopia wrote: I think Jdtray is scum because he voted talitha straight out of the blocks and vote for him then im being silly.
Someone has to be first to vote. That's a crappy reason.
Myopia wrote:Unless I missed something, Jdtay's vote was on talitha (the get the chicks post) rather than me. Seems an uncharacterstic error to me. Isnt a scum more likely to forget who they have voted for (because they dont really care about finding scum unlike a townie)? Might just be because the vote was random but I find this suspicious.
I'd rather stick with analyzing votes and behaviour.
Myopia wrote:We have two votes for jdtay. In him because jdtay's "keep your head down" post to me did not seem to him to be pro-town. Locus because jdtay replied to locus's fos for making jokes with another joke and a vote. Honestly jdtay had to know he had that coming.
Actually, just because someone voted for you does not mean you have to vote for them.
Myopia wrote:The claim seems suss. You were in no imminent danger of dying, why the claim. You practically provoked locus's vote and then provoke the people voting for you again by calling them noobs. If your the doctor then your basically asking to be lynched. If your mafia then I can only infer you thought you were going down and are trying to take the real doctor with you.

Dont think I need to use an FOS at this point.
Hypocrisy. You had said you might vote for JDTAY when he was at 2 votes. Then the mafia might have hijacked the voting and lynched him. JDTAY did not provoke Locus's vote. The reasoning that he is mafia and wants to take down the doc with him is plain out stupid. The doc is not worth dying for a mafia. That would hamper the mafia's chances of winning.
Myopia wrote:Im struggling to establish the reasoning behind your claim. If you are the doctor as you claim then your dead tonight anyway and you dont see morning either way. If your a townie trying to keep yourself alive then your a liar and possible exposing the real doctor to danger.

Bottomline you seem like an intelligent player. Based on that assumption I cant see you playing the way you have if you were the real doctor.

Im 90% sure your scum at this point but as I really dont want to be partially responsible for lynching a doctor day 1 of my first game im going to wait to here what the others say first. Needless to say if there is a real doctor out there they should not reveal themselves.
The point of a mafia game is to make your team win, regardless if you die. If there's a real doc, they should definitely come out. Unless you want a mafioso to get away with looking innocent and manipulating the town. Which may just be what you're after.
Myopia wrote:If there is another real doc why should they come out until every other possibility is exhausted? I thought that if jdtay was mafia then that was exactly what he wanted.

Yeah I pursued jdtay for his claim. Given the inconsistencies in the claim can you blame me?
Because one of the worst possible things is for a mafioso to beviewed as innocent. In another newbie game, I was the cop and the mafioso whom I investigated quickly tried to counterclaim cop and nearly got away with it. JDTAY's claim is consistent to me.

So, Tally- satisfied?
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:51 pm

Post by Talitha »

Not really - it looks like you pulled out all of Myopia's posts, skimmed through them, and nit-picked, rather than objectively looking for scum.

And you seem to throw around the word 'hypocritical' a lot, when there's no real cause for it. It's a negatively loaded word and I really don't think it needs to be used here.

Besides, it
is
a decent strategy for a mafioso to claim doc if they are bandwagoned.
Dmi wrote:Kieron was trying to understand the game better, the point of newbie games. As were you, so you're being hypocritical.
How is it that you can state the intentions of the other players so confidently?
Dmi
Dmi
Goon
Dmi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:59 am

Post by Dmi »

Talitha, it isn't my fault Myopia's posts are contradictory and suggest antitown things.

Usually when someone does one thing but advocates another- that is hypocrisy. Fine, I'll call it a flip flop if you want.

But since no one counterclaimed, either the doc does not know what they are doing or JDTAY is the doc. What proof is there that JDTAY is not the doc?

Because Myopia asked for help, as did Kieron. Then she accused Kieron of trying to look as a newbie. That is hypocrisy.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:48 am

Post by Talitha »

Contradictory? where? JDTAY's claim WAS suss. Didn't others say so too? We were right to be suspicious of him
at the time
. I think Myopia's behavious re the JDTAY situation has been entirely consistent. And I
don't
believe a mafioso would've acted the way Myopia acted when faced with a doc claim.

As for the Myopia vs Keiron thing:
- read it again, there wasn't much of an accusation
- there are going to be times when people say that they thinking someone might be 'acting'. That's what Myopia said Keiron
might
be doing. It's not hypocrisy, it's part of mafia.
- Not taking people at face value is a logical thing when you know that 1/3 of the other players are scum. Looks pretty townie-ish to me.
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:52 am

Post by Locus Cosecant »

So are we waiting for kieron, or replacing him, or what?
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”