Newbie 74 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:47 am

Post by Myopia »

Actually I think that jagged has lurked enough that its worth a vote so
vote jagged
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:51 pm

Post by Talitha »

Myopia wrote:I agree that talitha seems like she is lying low. Shes seems a bit more like an impartial observer who chimes in with basis strategy tips - helpful but frankly if she was mafia it would be very hard to tell as she keeps it very close to the chest. Im not trying to bandwagon her Id just like to hear what she thinks.
It's a fair comment. I don't expect that anyone would be able to tell if I am innocent or not at this stage. I'd probably give the same advice that I have given, whether I was scum or not.
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:16 pm

Post by Myopia »

[/quote] It's a fair comment. I don't expect that anyone would be able to tell if I am innocent or not at this stage. I'd probably give the same advice that I have given, whether I was scum or not.[/quote]

:D See what I mean. The statement is completely and undoubtedly 100% correct while simultaneously of no asisstance whatsoever. :D
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:35 pm

Post by kieron »

Myopia wrote:
It's a fair comment. I don't expect that anyone would be able to tell if I am innocent or not at this stage. I'd probably give the same advice that I have given, whether I was scum or not.[/quote]

:D See what I mean. The statement is completely and undoubtedly 100% correct while simultaneously of no asisstance whatsoever. :D[/quote]

T seems on the up and up to me (ie, town helpful)...
Signatures, while sometimes clever or interesting, quickly get boring when seen over and over.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:39 pm

Post by Talitha »

:)

It's a meta-game strategy I guess. If I act differently when I'm town to how I act as scum, I wouldn't do very well in games where I was scum. There are ways you could get a decent idea whether I'm scum or not, but I'm not going to tell you if I don't have to. :twisted:

Sticking with my InHim vote.
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:04 pm

Post by Myopia »

Guys my access will be patchy if at all over the next 72 hours as I have a long weekend and am trying to avoid work during that period.
Jaggedcrags
Jaggedcrags
Townie
Jaggedcrags
Townie
Townie

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:04 am

Post by Jaggedcrags »

Sorry for not posting for a really long time, guys - hardly had any time this week to even go online at all. Anyway, school's finally out, so I hope to post more frequently now.

This game is a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I thought I had a good grasp of strategy after reading through several threads, but apparently I overestimated my analytical skills. I honestly cannot really see how we can tell if someone is mafia at this point. I will say though that I cannot refute JDTAY's doc claim. If no one else claims, is it safe to assume that it's true? His attitude did set me off a bit though...

unvote
for now, I guess. No reason to keep it.
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:33 am

Post by kieron »

Jaggedcrags wrote:[snip]

This game is a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I thought I had a good grasp of strategy after reading through several threads, but apparently I overestimated my analytical skills. I honestly cannot really see how we can tell if someone is mafia at this point.[snip]

unvote
for now, I guess. No reason to keep it.
Well, I agree, basically, which is why I though no lynch would be good. I don't see how we can analyze without any information!

On the other hand, we DO seem to know that JD isn't mafia now. That helps a bit.

Unless...

Wouldn't it be a good townie strategy for a non-doc townie to claim doctor, then have the mafia try to kill him that night, while the REAL doc protects him? And since this would be a good townie strategy, wouldn't it be a good mafia strategy as well (to claim to be the doc)?

I guess this line of reasoning goes on ad-infinitum, so maybe we know nothing at all.

Anyway, since Jagged unvoted me, I'll do the same,

Unvote: JaggedCrags
Signatures, while sometimes clever or interesting, quickly get boring when seen over and over.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:01 pm

Post by Talitha »

It's not reaaly a good strategy for a plain townie to claim doc. The real doc has no way of knowing that the false-claimer is not a scumbag, and the end result would be to expose the doc anyway, and get a townie lynched.

So what are we going to do about the lack of scummy acting people around here? Anyone got an idea?
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:03 pm

Post by JDTAY »

Uh, I have an idea, but you're probably opposed to it.

still voting: Talitha
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:05 pm

Post by Talitha »

Bring it on :P
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:56 am

Post by kieron »

Talitha wrote:It's not reaaly a good strategy for a plain townie to claim doc. The real doc has no way of knowing that the false-claimer is not a scumbag, and the end result would be to expose the doc anyway, and get a townie lynched.

So what are we going to do about the lack of scummy acting people around here? Anyone got an idea?
Why would the end result be to expose the doc? The real doc could stay hidden, assuming the cliamer is a townie - and protect him night 1. This would be a major coup for the town, but may be outweighed by the liklihood that the false cliamer is mafia. If the false claimer is mafia, the doc will know day 2 and the real doc can claim at that point. I guess it all hinges on how likely it is that the false claimer is a townie.

As far as ideas go, what if we each posted our current % liklihood that each person is mafia, based on their posts to date (with little explaination - at most three words)?

I don't have time to do this right now, but the other game I played in one guy posted it and it was interesting at the very least.

Happy Advent!
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:01 am

Post by mathcam »

Official Vote Count
:

Tally (1, JD)
inHim (1, Tally)
JaggedCraggs (1, Myopia)
Myopia (1, Locus)

Not Voting: keiron, jagged, inHim

Cam
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:22 am

Post by Locus Cosecant »

I think the idea is that pro-town people never lie, so that when you catch someone in a lie, you can be certain that they're mafia. That social convention is probably to the benefit of the town.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
Pro-Town: 14 of 17 games
Doctor: 3 of 17 games
Cop: 2 of 17 games
Wins: 12 of 17 games
Lynched Scum: 16 of 27 lynches
Vig-killed Scum: 1 of 1 vig-kills
Survived/NightKilled/Lynched: 5/11/1 games
[/size]
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:34 am

Post by kieron »

Locus Cosecant wrote:I think the idea is that pro-town people never lie, so that when you catch someone in a lie, you can be certain that they're mafia. That social convention is probably to the benefit of the town.
Agreed, and good point, but how can we possibly catch someone in a lie day one? It'll take at least until the end of the day to catch them.

Anyway, I guess since I'm supposed to vote for someone :roll: I'll pick Myopia...lots of suspecting, obvious newbieness, pointed a finger at me once...overall, doesn't seem to be as much help to the town as, say, the doctor, or Talithia (as an experienced player):

Vote: Myopia
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:52 am

Post by Myopia »

at work on sunday morning :(

kieron wrote:
Anyway, I guess since I'm supposed to vote for someone :roll: I'll pick Myopia...lots of suspecting, obvious newbieness, pointed a finger at me once...overall, doesn't seem to be as much help to the town as, say, the doctor, or Talithia (as an experienced player):

Vote: Myopia
Im not objective but the anti-me logic is just getting crappier and crappier.
Dude if suspecting and fingerpointing is suspicious then are you playing the right game :?

Go back and read the post where I supposedly attack you.

Are you voting on helpfulness or are you voting for someone who you think is scum? I think it is a valid question.

The doctor is dead by dawn. And if you think talitha is being particularly helpful then I really do pity you if she turns out to be scum (which is just as likely as anyone else at this point.

unvote jagged
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Post by Talitha »

I'll re-read and then give my guaranteed inaccurate percentages on who I think is scum.
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:06 pm

Post by kieron »

Myopia wrote:[snip]

Are you voting on helpfulness or are you voting for someone who you think is scum? I think it is a valid question.
[snip]
I have
little idea
who the scum are, so you are as good a target as anyone....here are my % chance of being scum (should add up to 200%, since there are 2 mafia...it's late so my addition may be off):

inHim: 37%
Jagged: 3% (obvious)
JD: 37
LC: 37
Myopia: 63% (already stated)
Tally: 23% (pretty helpful to be mafia)
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:09 pm

Post by Locus Cosecant »

kieron, why do you continue to suspect the claimed cop?
strong FOS
kieron.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:23 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

You mean the claimed doc, right Locus?

And. . . kieron, why is it obvious that jagged is unscummy?

The above doesn't sit right with me.
vote : kieron
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:45 pm

Post by Locus Cosecant »

inHimshallibe wrote:You mean the claimed doc, right Locus?
:oops: My mistake.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:42 am

Post by kieron »

Whoops - I got Jagged and JD reversed. Should be:

inHim: 37%
Jagged: 37%
JD: 3% (obvious)
LC: 37%
Myopia: 63% (already stated)
Tally: 23% (pretty helpful to be mafia)
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:44 am

Post by kieron »

I still gave JD 3% assuming the (very unlikely) scenario I outlined where a townie falsely claims doc...
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:49 am

Post by Locus Cosecant »

kieron wrote:I still gave JD 3% assuming the (very unlikely) scenario I outlined where a townie falsely claims doc...
*eyebrow* If he's a townie falsely claiming doc, he still isn't scum, you realize.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:15 am

Post by kieron »

Locus Cosecant wrote:
kieron wrote:I still gave JD 3% assuming the (very unlikely) scenario I outlined where a townie falsely claims doc...
*eyebrow* If he's a townie falsely claiming doc, he still isn't scum, you realize.
Man, I am really slipping! Go ahead and lynch me for being a dumb-arse.

I guess my thinking was that there is still some small chance he is MAFIA and that the real doc THOUGHT he was a townie falsely claiming doc. WHEW. Maybe I out to lower that % to .3%...

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”