Newbie 626 - Completed Successfully (dependent on town POV)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Indigo Heron
Indigo Heron
Goon
Indigo Heron
Goon
Goon

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:40 pm

Post by Indigo Heron »

Well, first time out just glancing over the 7 pages that we have - which isn't much, considering the person who talked the most besides neko was lynched, and a lurker was assassinated, the scummiest person that I have now is MamaLuigi. He is a loose cannon, and he admitted that he may or may not be scum. His 'hiding in plain sight' tactic may be him calling our bluffs.

Besides that, the general content of his posts are not helping us one bit. It could be that he is scum trying to sow discord among us by doing so.

In conclusion, his behaviour may be such an obvious candidate for scum, it doesn't seem like he is scum, for which he may very well be. I will have to do a detailed re-read to ascertain it.

However, for now,
FoS: MamaLuigi.

Also, another thing that I wish to discuss is the choice of player being assassinated. It's something that I should applaud. What better way to keep a game bare by assassinating a lurker? Sound tactical move, that one was. It's also something that I'm going to be looking into more closely.
最愛心。。。
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:15 am

Post by MeMe »

Vote Count
:

MamaLuigi
(1):
neko2086

not voting
(6):
Amor, Freckles, Indigo Heron, MamaLuigi, Mispeled, New Coldness

Takes four to lynch today.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Indigo Heron
Indigo Heron
Goon
Indigo Heron
Goon
Goon

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Post by Indigo Heron »

Okay, there isn't much to go on here, but I think we ought to analyse Kang's post history in this game to see if we can get somewhere...

Post #12: Voted randomly for Occult.
Post #34: Declares that everyone is fair game to be scum to him, and considers Freckles' L-2 vote to be something trivial. Also believes that hitting an L-2 would be good, as scum would be afraid to go for the quick-hammer.
Post #42: Quotes Mamaluigi, saying that refusing to give information is an anti-town act, and a good reason to be lynched. Casts his finger of suspicion on him. Also asks Vipza, Mispeled and Occult to come forward with more activity. Believes that Freckles' mistake was a mistake and urges everyone that scum may escape undetected while we run in circles. States his random vote with a little more conviction.
Post #53: Quotes Mamaluigi, declaring that none of his posts make sense. However, he admits that Mamaluigi is very possibly a townsperson, because he thinks that his scummy behaviour can be attributed to just plain newbie values. However, he states that it could be either way. Makes a declaration to have everyone put forward a suspicion list (is that what scumdars are?).

Of the posts included, the person whom he makes the most references to is Mamaluigi. He believes that Mamaluigi has such a scummy feel to his behaviour, he might very well not be one. However, I beg to differ.

vote: Mamaluigi

Again, quoting my previous post, he may be bluffing us, and until he actually defends himself or comes clean, or if there is someone scummier, or if someone convinces me otherwise, my vote is on him. Another thing that motivated my vote on him is that there is no one else to go after, or there is no amount of cutting evidence that proves that they are scum compared to his.
最愛心。。。
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:42 am

Post by neko2086 »

Makes a declaration to have everyone put forward a suspicion list (is that what scumdars are?).
Sometimes. Most people who refer to their scumdar are talking about gut suspicions. Anyway, it's not always a good idea to ask everyone to list all their suspicions, as it gives the scum a good idea of who to nk. Usually a top 2 or 3 is a better option.

Another thing that motivated my vote on him is that there is no one else to go after, or there is no amount of cutting evidence that proves that they are scum compared to his.
Unfortunately for you, I'd say your predecessor was one of the most suspicious coming out of D1. I'm disappointed he didn't stick around to answer my questions. I have a question for you, though. Are you voting ML primarily because of his D1 behavior or because Kang was nk'd?
In Tartiflette We Trust
New Coldness
New Coldness
Goon
New Coldness
Goon
Goon

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:13 am

Post by New Coldness »

How long does ML have to pick up his prod? My voting finger is getting kinda twitchy here.
As Town: 2-3
As Scum: 1-0
Indigo Heron
Indigo Heron
Goon
Indigo Heron
Goon
Goon

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:44 pm

Post by Indigo Heron »

A little bit of both. Kang related the most to Mamaluigi in his posts. Mamaluigi also seems highly suspicious to because of his scummy behaviour. I'm calling his bluff. You never know when those people hiding in plain sight may very well be the ones who are scum.
最愛心。。。
Amor
Amor
Goon
Amor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Post by Amor »

New Coldness wrote:Just letting you all know I'm still here... and I hope ML picks up his prod so I don't have to abandon my suspicion of the person that I think is the scummiest here.
Why would this be the case? Logically if ML did certain things because he was scum the person who replaced him would still be scum. I don't like this post, this could be either foreshadowing that his suspicions will change if ML gets a replacement that can competently defend themselves, or that he's setting up ML's replacement to be cleared of suspicion.

I'm not certain about MamaLuigi personally. I can't say he's been pro-town, but this feels a lot like a newbie mislynch.
Show
Current Record (wins-losses-abandoned)
Town: 3-5
Scum: 2-3-1

For my thoughts on non-scum-related things, see my Twitter or my blog The Eternal Couch Potato.
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:28 pm

Post by Syzygy »

Hi y'all, I'm be replacing someone....don't know who yet :)
"Syz├óÔé¼Ôäós post have been short and to the point, but I think have good points." - sekinj
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:30 pm

Post by MeMe »

Syzygy for MamaLuigi, effective (earlier than) immediately! :)
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:02 pm

Post by Syzygy »

Ok I've read thru the pages, and to be honest I don't know what MamaLuigi was high on was he was in this game.

I generally do not understand any of his actions nor can I offer any explanations. With that I'll like to offer some fresh thoughts.

Right now my main problem with the game is not really knowing exactly who's who, with all the replacements coming in and out and people being active/not active, I can't really identify each player that well, hopefully it'll get better as time goes on. However 2 people did struck me while reading the game.

Freckles; here are the highlights of you

1) Overreaction to the L-2 situation with neko
2) Voting for Grimmy because you believed the case against Grimmy was very 'clear'
3) The forced comment of 'anger' at scum for killing Kang...I mean, I know you are a newbie (my join date is deceiving)...but scumtell much?

I do not like the fact that Indigo Heron is leading us into deep WIFOM territory with the NK analysis, if you go read other newbie games, you'll find that very often, the players who tries to explain the NKs are very often scums themselves; reason? Well, its called the Scum's Conscience, being anti-town, you actively seek ways to behave pro-town like, up to the point of it being obviously forced.

P.S. With Grimmy dead yesterday, neko will probably be under some fire for his case on Grimmy yesterday but I think any discussion should be on his play in general and not specifically his case on Grimmy; it gets extremely WIFOMy when you try to analyze whether neko is scum or not because he killed a townie.

P.P.S. I've prepared a little surprise for the scums...wait for it :)
"Syz├óÔé¼Ôäós post have been short and to the point, but I think have good points." - sekinj
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:09 pm

Post by Syzygy »

With 2 townies dead, I well now do the following.

Okay, the written text below was first used by Mastermind of Sin in Newbie 540. Therefore, while I am using it here, all credit goes to him along with much appreciation. Without further ado:

----------
I'm going to start off by claiming.
I am the doctor
. Now, your first reaction may be, "Why is he claiming that he's the doctor? That's just going to get him killed...". Your second reaction may be to assume that this is some sort of scum gambit. I suggest you think things through carefully before you act on this, though.

My claim does a number of things:

1) If I am not actually the doctor, the doctor should NOT counterclaim me. I repeat, do NOT counterclaim. That would be stupid, and it would only further my own goals if I am scum.
2) Since there is no counterclaim, the mafia do not know if I really am the doctor. They will be stuck in a perilous circle of wifom that will paralyze their actions at night. They will probably try to get me lynched so that they don't have to worry about nightkilling me.
3) Since the mafia have to figure out whether or not to nightkill me, we have some options to complicate things for them. *If* I am not the doctor, the doctor can either choose to protect me to nullify the mafia's kill for the night, or not protect me and let me die. Either way, something good happens (power role won't get killed). I would die as a townie and draw the mafia's kill, or the mafia would not get a kill that night. It all depends on whether or not the real doctor believes I am town pulling this gambit or mafia pulling it.
4) As the real doctor in the open, I can operate on a grander scale than normal and manipulate the mafia, whether they like it or not. Since my claim is already out in the open, there is nothing to hold me back when I take action.
5) The benefits of this plan may not seem obvious to you, and that's good. That means it shouldn't be obvious to the mafia, either. It's not supposed to be. This plan is tricky and hard to pull off, and it depends entirely on what the mafia decide to do about it. I'm counting on the WIFOM behind all this to trick them into making the wrong move, which will allow the town to be victorious.

I think that about covers it. Alright mafia, bring on the votes. I'm ready for ya. :wink:
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Post by Syzygy »

In another game where I tried the above, I got smashed because of LAL, so please all I ask (of townies at the least) is to hold off on the LAL policy (since it is possible* that I'm lying) and really think about it before making rash decisions.
Indigo Heron
Indigo Heron
Goon
Indigo Heron
Goon
Goon

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:54 pm

Post by Indigo Heron »

Well, since Mamaluigi is gone, I feel that our new replacement has given me a pro-town vibe. Finally, we have some discussion going!!!

unvote: Syzygy (if my vote on Mamaluigi is transferred over to him)

@Amor: What were we supposed to do? I wanted to generate some discussion in this 'dead-end' game by voting for him. I was also trying to see which of the scum would follow in my footsteps by adding votes to the vote count for Mamaluigi, bringing him closer (but not enough to actally do so) to lynch him.

@Syzygy: From our game's only lynch, and our current predicament, I don't think that lynching all lurkers (is that what it meant?) will work here. However, your words are probably true. If we keep a cool head, we can eke out a townie victory.
最愛心。。。
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:33 am

Post by Syzygy »

Indigo Heron wrote: @Amor: What were we supposed to do? I wanted to generate some discussion in this 'dead-end' game by voting for him.
I was also trying to see which of the scum would follow in my footsteps by adding votes to the vote count for Mamaluigi
, bringing him closer (but not enough to actally do so) to lynch him.
The bolded part above is scummy as hell. You were obviously not voting me to 'get reactions' from mafia, that plus your NK-analysis give you this
Vote: Indigo Heron
Mispeled
Mispeled
Goon
Mispeled
Goon
Goon

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:38 am

Post by Mispeled »

I fail to see how Syzygy's claim changes anything at all. It doesn't make it any more likely that you're the doctor or town or mafia in my eyes: you're still a wildcard. But I'll see how your "plan" plays out.

There's a couple of points in it that I find very, very anti-town though.
They [the scum] will probably try to get me lynched so that they don't have to worry about nightkilling me.
I think that about covers it. Alright mafia, bring on the votes. I'm ready for ya.
This self-interest makes you no different than MamaLuigi. You're instantly labeling anyone that votes for you as scum.
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:44 am

Post by Syzygy »

Mispeled, please remember that that piece of text was word by word from Mastermind of Sin, yes that last part seems to be a bit selfish, but to think that this whole plan is selfish is just way out there. Because of what I've wrote, I'll most likely be the NK tonight, this being a Newbie game I don't see how scums will let me live to tomorrow.

My claim of course doesn't confirm me. However, whether it'll work depends on 1) whether I'm really the doctor and 2) if I am not, whether the doctor believes that I am town and 3)If I am the doctor, then how the mafia's NK will go tonight.
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:40 am

Post by Syzygy »

mzldr2 wrote:Ok, finally had a chance to read everything a few times:

IMO, Grimmy, and Neko are pushing buttons and that leaves me wondering a little about what is behind it.

Not sure about a lot of the early action from Mispeled and Freckles..still undecided on them and will see how it plays out.

Have doubts about Mama Luigi's intentions based on a couple comments....but low on list

Kang, and Mccleod haven't given me much to go on but
Kang was on my suspicious list until I realized his last post was June 11th from what I could tell.

Occult is a wild card right now IMO and really can't place my finger on it but.
Indigo's Predecessor: lots of fence-sitting, being good to all sides. Not alot of scum-hunting or targetting anyone. Didn't vote on D1, was suspicious of Kang even though Kang had like 4 posts in this game and now he's dead....yea...definitely content with my vote on Indigo Heron.

Sorry, I know you are a replacement, so am I, I guess we
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:47 am

Post by Syzygy »

EBWOP: I guess we get the short end of the deal having to justify other people's crap, lol
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:08 am

Post by neko2086 »

unvote
. I was afraid of that.

I find his claim very believable given ML's actions yesterday. He was obviously either scum trying to wifom us into letting him live, or a power role trying not to get nk'd. My post that ended with "this should not be discussed further" was in response to this, as I was pretty sure bmc (and possibly others) was role-fishing.

Anyway, my suspicions of mispeled are somewhat bolstered, as he has not had a real opinion until now, throwing suspicion on the doc claim.

I also do not buy IH's 'I was only voting ML to generate discussion and get the scum to join me.' Plenty of us felt that ML was pushing the newbie boundary into scum territory, and you were no exception, so this is coming off as quite the backpedal. This, the wifom arguments, and your predecessor's behavior--I'm not at all opposed to an IH-lynch today. I'd like to hear more from everyone first, though.

LAL=lynch all liars, btw. Lying is generally anti-town, but I suppose in the world of MOS it might not be. Fortunately, we don't all live in that world... Anyway, in this case, I highly doubt syz is scum.

syzygy, are you a MOS-alt? :P
In Tartiflette We Trust
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:38 am

Post by Syzygy »

Lol, I'm not his alt. though I do admire his play...I use my Join Date as a guise to join Newbie Games as a newbie and harass newbies, its fun (sorry guys!) :)
Mispeled
Mispeled
Goon
Mispeled
Goon
Goon

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:02 am

Post by Mispeled »

Syzygy wrote:Because of what I've wrote, I'll most likely be the NK tonight, this being a Newbie game I don't see how scums will let me live to tomorrow.
But there's no reason for them to think that you're the doctor. As I've said, your claim changes nothing.

neko2086 wrote:Anyway, my suspicions of mispeled are somewhat bolstered, as he has not had a real opinion until now, throwing suspicion on the doc claim.
There's a difference between people's D1 random votes and someone roleclaiming.

neko2086 wrote:I find his claim very believable given ML's actions yesterday. He was obviously either scum trying to wifom us into letting him live, or a power role trying not to get nk'd.
...or another 13 year old kid who thought that being "sneaky" is the way to ensure survival, with his role being irrelevant.

Actually, I don't think Syzygy's claim could possibly be genuine. If (as he says) one of his goals is to be the mafia's target, and he's actually the doctor, that would simply be anti-town.
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:05 am

Post by Syzygy »

Mispeled, ever heard of WIFOM?
New Coldness
New Coldness
Goon
New Coldness
Goon
Goon

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:40 am

Post by New Coldness »

Amor wrote:Why would this be the case? Logically if ML did certain things because he was scum the person who replaced him would still be scum. I don't like this post, this could be either foreshadowing that his suspicions will change if ML gets a replacement that can competently defend themselves, or that he's setting up ML's replacement to be cleared of suspicion.
I'm not willing to impute anything done by an abandoning player, to his replacement. ML could have just been a noob. If he was scum, then yeah, his replacement is scum. But he might not be.

As for Syz... jeez. I adhere religiously to LAL, I think his claim, if true, or even HALF true, is mindblowingly dumb, and I'm just generally not happy with what he's done.

So we've got three possibilities on Syz:

1. He's telling the truth and probably just cost us a Doc.
2. He's lying and town, in which case my first instinct is to lynch on LAL grounds (illogical as that first instinct is, if this is the case), but we shouldn't because he just got himself NK'd and the town will lose a green instead of a blue tonight, which is cool. But scum could counterclaim Doc, and if we lynched Syz and he was cardflipped townie, the scum would still be immune to lynch unless the real Doc then counterclaimed,
if we have one
. If not, we're boned.
3. He's lying and scum, and just prevented himself from being lynched until MUCH later by claiming Doc. And on the possibility that he's just a townie, the Doc can't counterclaim. In fact, even if the *real* doc gets offed at some point, Syz can just claim townie later on and escape a lynch.
1) If I am not actually the doctor, the doctor should NOT counterclaim me. I repeat, do NOT counterclaim. That would be stupid, and it would only further my own goals if I am scum.
I HATE THIS, for reasons mentioned. There's a reason why LAL is a good idea, and it's this. If Syz is scum and the Doc gets cardflipped, Syz has just immunized himself from an LAL lynch. And if he's scum, we can't lynch him without a Doc being revealed
because he's claimed Doc
. Furthermore, I'd trade a Doc for a scum any day of the week this early in the game. If Syz is scum, a counterclaim would be the best thing a real Doc could do. If Syz is town, a counterclaim would be disastrous.
2) Since there is no counterclaim, the mafia do not know if I really am the doctor. They will be stuck in a perilous circle of wifom that will paralyze their actions at night. They will probably try to get me lynched so that they don't have to worry about nightkilling me.
On the contrary. If I were playing scum, I'd risk blowing an NK on the chance that you're actually the Doc. Even if you're a townie and the Doc covers you tonight, the scum can still get info off of this. Observe:
One of the following four set-ups is used for this game:

a) 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies
b) 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
c) 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Cop, 6 Townies
d) 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies
The Mafia already know whether or not they have a roleblocker. So they know if we're in A or B, or C or D. If they target Syz and he turns out to be the Doc, OR if the real Doc covers him, they'll know the setup instantly, assuming they have a roleblocker, while the town is still left in the dark. On the other hand, if the scum successfully kill him and he turns out to be town, it won't give them any new info. The Doc may not have covered Syz, or we may just have seven townies.

If the Mafia DON'T have a roleblocker, then if Syz turns out to be the Doc, OR if they try to whack him and the kill gets blocked, they know they don't have a Cop to worry about. If he turns out to be town, then it's still up in the air.

In any event, the scum just have to fire off an NK on Syz tonight to be in the clear. Best case scenario for them, they nail the Doc and it's a freebie, AND they learn the game setup. Or they lose an NK, but learn the game setup. Or they off a townie uncontested. That last one is the worst-case scenario for them, because they keep their tempo with regards to their NKs but gain no new info.

Know what's really fun about this? If Syz is scum, his buddy could counterclaim on him and they'd still both be effectively immune to lynches, thanks to the softness of Syz's claim. Then the real Doc would have to counterclaim. With three claimed Docs, one soft and two hard, the town would be paralyzed. If the real Doc got lynched, Syz could still fall back on his softclaim, in which case the prudent course of action would be to lynch him anyway... unless he's a townie running, IMHO, an extremely foolish gambit, in which case we lose a Doc and a townie to hit one scum.

I am EXTREMELY displeased with this.

But I am not displeased enough to try to lynch a claimed Doc. No, not even a softclaimed doc.

In fact, I'm going to operate under the assumption that Syz just softclaimed townie.

IGMEOY: Syz

What I'd really like to do is put Syz under the hammer and get a hard claim out of him. He claims townie, we lynch him. He claims Doc, real doc (if we have one) counterclaims, and we lynch Syz (and then the other claimed Doc if Syz turns out to actually be a Doc). If Syz claims Doc and we don't get a counterclaim, we back off and hope to God we have a Cop. If Syz maintains his Doc claim, gets counterclaimed, gets lynched, and turns out to be a townie, then we spit on his grave and hope that we have a Cop to confirm the other claimed Doc.

Neko, I see your point, but I HATE what Syz has done and will probably end up voting him unless everyone else can convince me that it's a bad idea to go for a hard claim. Syz's actions have caused the town to lose out on information in the long run, have given the scum WAY more information than he says (they can go for an NK on Syz tonight and possibly instantly know the setup) and have almost certainly cost us a Doc.

Best case scenario: Syz gets NK'd and turns up town. Doc (if we have one) stays under the radar.
Intermediate scenario 1: Doc eventually gets killed, Syz is scum and gets lynched.
Intermediate scenario 2: Syz gets NK'd and turns up Doc.
Intermediate scenario 3: Doc eventually gets killed, Syz is town and gets lynched.
Worst case scenario: Syz gets lynched and turns up Doc.

In other words, it's in our best interests not to lynch him as long as his current softclaim stands. Minimax. The two worst possible scenarios involve him getting lynched. This is GREAT for him if he's scum. Not particularly great for the town if he's Doc, 'cause he'll still get NK'd. Horrible for the town if he's townie, because then if we lose the real Doc further down the line, we'll lose a townie by lynching Syz.

If going for a hard claim is not agreeable, then may I ask that the Doc NOT protect Syz (and for the love of God, NOT ROLECLAIM)? We'll lose a townie if the scum decide to hit him, but we'll deny the scum information about the game setup.

If the scum decide to NK someone besides Syz, or just forego their NK altogether... yeah, I'm not even going there. Too much wine.
Indigo Heron
Indigo Heron
Goon
Indigo Heron
Goon
Goon

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:43 pm

Post by Indigo Heron »

neko2086 wrote:I also do not buy IH's 'I was only voting ML to generate discussion and get the scum to join me.' Plenty of us felt that ML was pushing the newbie boundary into scum territory, and you were no exception, so this is coming off as quite the backpedal. This, the wifom arguments, and your predecessor's behavior--I'm not at all opposed to an IH-lynch today. I'd like to hear more from everyone first, though.
My predecessor may have been passive, but well I usually have a more patient and analytical, strategic style.

It seemed that if there is anyone gunning for me, it would be because my predecessor was being a bit suspect and then flaking. I'm not encouraging you all to flatly disregard his posts - rather, to avoid be totally fixated by them. That isn't such a scummy thing to say, is it?

There has been a lot of discussion over whether townies should claim or not. I think the answer is fairly simple: a townie power role claims when they are about to be lynched, but not before. Yes, the mafia will probably NK you if you claim, but seeing as you were about to be killed anyway it doesn't make a difference, and it'll give the town a bit more chance of lynching a scum. Obviously nobody should claim if they're not in very immediate danger of being lynched, otherwise you're just giving the mafia free info. I definitely would not go so far as to say that nobody should claim and we should lynch those that do, though - we should judge every claim by its merits.
最愛心。。。
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Post by Syzygy »

Ok, NC. There are now 7 players in this game, having lost 2 townies on D1 and N1. We have to lynch a scum today or tomorrow it's LyLo. Like I said, if I am not the doctor and the doctor does exist, then it all really depend on whether the doctor believe that I am scum or town pulling this gambit.

NC, you mentioned that this gambit could possibly give the scum too much info, but this game can last a maximum of 4 days assuming we lynch scum today, lynch town tomorrow, and LyLo on Day 4. I do not see how even if the mafia does get information, it helps them in anyway. If anyone try to rolefish EVER, I'll personally nail their behinds and the scums have to choose a NK regardless of which setup it is in hopes of killing the one most likely to be a power-role (again, REGARDLESS of whether power roles exist, they have to try anyways) so IMHO, mafia doesn't benefit from this gambit at all.

In addition, keep in mind that this is a SOFT claim, which means that just because I claimed* to be a doctor doesn't mean that it necessarily give the mafia ANY new info. if anything, it will drive them crazy and in a circle of WIFOM (praying here that one of the ICs isn't scum, let scums be newbies please!)

The last setup that I tried this in was different than this one so I'll have to wait to see how it pans out. However, town will be screwed regardless of my role if I am to be lynched. This is because I know I am pro-town, I can say that much and my lynch today means LyLo tomorrow for town no matter what.

The reason why a Doctor shouldn't counterclaim me is because if I am not a doctor and I get lynched as a townie, there exists the possibility of the doctor (existent or not) surviving to D3 whereas if the real Doctor does counterclaim somehow, he/she will be NKed for sure. The reason is that even if there are multiple Doctor counterclaims, all of them must be made by scums except possibly one since I don't think any townie in this game will be as adventurous as me (if I am a townie) to counterclaim with a fakeclaim as Doctor while being town.

In fact, if we get 2 additional Doctor counterclaims, it'll be a great thing because at least 1 of them will be made by scum (if not both since the other 1 might be the real one).

Thus by logic, I don't forsee any counterclaims today. The key aspect of the gambit is whether the real Doctor (if I am not it) have faith in me despite me lying.

In fact, if we can waste at least 1 of the mafia's NK, we get one extra day and in a game which only last max 3/4 days, to get in another day will be optimal.

I'll put in more details later, kinda busy right now.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”