Newbie 920: Mafia in Newbietown (Game over! Town wins!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newbie 920: Mafia in Newbietown (Game over! Town wins!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:05 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Newbie 920: Mafia in Newbietown

Most of you are new to this and are distressed to find out that several of your fellow Newbietown members have been murdered.

What exactly are you guys going to do about these murders? Why the most rational thing of course! Lynch the offenders with extreme prejudice!

Players living:

Julano
Fiyr
mariomaster777
FluffyGiggles
Kyiv
Legions

Unsight (SE)
McGriddle (SE)

Players Dead:

Carl Sagan
Mafia Roleblocker
lynched day 1
Netopalis (IC)
Town Doctor
killed night 1

The IC(s) are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.
Last edited by Zachrulez on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

General Rules

Do not talk about the game outside of it unless your role allows you to.

Do not edit or delete your posts in anyway. (Assuming you have the power to do so.)

Do not quote any moderator pms sent to you by me. (This includes role pms.)

Feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns you have. I will make in game announcements if appropriate.

Do not use any font size other than normal please. I will warn violaters, and will modkill repeat offenders. Don't try to hide text or make it difficult to read either. (Also, absolutely no encrypted text of any kind.)

Once you're dead, stop typing. (I will allow one contentless "bah" post as an exception.)

Please treat the other players in the game with respect. I do not want to have to intervene if the game starts to get personal, but I will if I have to.

Do not talk about ongoing games please.

This is my color, don't use it.

I reserve the right to add, remove and change rules as I see fit to improve the quality of the game. I will also clarify the rules as needed. (Exceptions are rules that have a * next to them. These rules are required of newbie mods and not within my power to change. I will clarify them as necessary though.)

Modkills will end the day. (Breaking or pretending to break any rule on my ruleset may be grounds for this at my discretion. Your role will be changed to neutral survivor and you will automatically lose the game if you are modkilled, so be forewarned.)

Gameplay Rules

Each day the town decides on a lynch. You will require one half of the living players plus one in order to achieve a lynching majority. I will go out of my way to make sure you are aware of this number.

To vote please do so in this format
Vote: Lien
Please bold your vote and try to put it at the bottom of your post. (Not required but appreciated.) Failure to vote in the bold format may result in the vote not being counted. (At my discretion I will determine vote intent.)

Unvoting is appreciated, but not required. Please post it in bold if you do it.

No lynch is also allowed, under the same format.
Vote: No Lynch
A majority vote for no lynch will send the game into night without a lynch.

*Newbie games require a 3 week deadline from the start of the day. Generally, extensions are not allowed except for extreme circumstances. Be aware of this.

You are subject to a mod prod after 72 hours of inactivity. Players may request a prod after 48 hours themselves if they you haven't posted in that time frame. You will have 48 hours to respond to a prod before I start searching for a replacement. I will not acknowledge whether or not a prod has been picked up, but I will announce the prod.

If you are unable to meet the minimum posting requirements for any reason. Please let us know in thread. Don't leave us hanging.

Once a majority is reached, that player is lynched and can not be saved with unvotes. All players including the lynched player are free to continue posting until I get around to locking the thread.

Night will last a maximum of 3 days under normal circumstances. In order to prevent metagaming I will mass pm all living players when night falls to make sure everyone is still active in the game and has an opportunity to submit a night action.

Last and Most importantly, have fun!
Last edited by Zachrulez on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Role PMs are out. Day 1 will begin once everyone has confirmed.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Everyone has picked up their role pm, and I am only waiting on one confirmation, so I won't hold up the start of day any further.

Day 1 begins. Deadline will fall on March 16th at 9am.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:27 am

Post by Netopalis »

Hello, everybody, welcome to the game! I'm Netopalis, your IC for this game. As your IC, my primary role is to teach you all how to play the game and answer any questions. As per the site rules, as an IC, I cannot lie about my position on basic game theory issues, such as WIFOM, claiming or similar ideas. However, if I am in the mafia, I will be playing to win.

I should also warn you all that I have an extremely unusual playstyle as compared to most of my fellow members of this site - My play is based strongly on solid, logical arguments as opposed to gut feelings and emotions. If you want to persuade me, give me good reasons to follow you, not just that you have a "bad feeling" about someone.

I'll be posting some questions for everybody within a few hours, as well as a quick "How to play Mafia" guide that I'm working on. I'm looking forward to playing with each of you!
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:53 am

Post by McGriddle »

Vote: Netopalis
for being an ass in another game.. Lol jk
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:04 am

Post by Netopalis »

Alright. Questions to all players:

1) What experience, if any, do you have in playing the game of Mafia?
2) Please describe your playstyle. Do you feel that you are more biased towards logic or gut? How would you describe your reasoning process?
3) Why do you play Mafia?
4) Is it an African Swallow or a European Swallow?
5) Would you prefer playing as town or as scum? Why?
6) Would you agree with the statement, "Lynch all Liars"? Why? How about the statement "You appear to be too townie, therefore you must be scum" or "Never lynch a claimed power role on the same day that the player claims"?

I will be giving my answers after everybody else has answered, as to avoid biasing the answers of everybody else.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:11 am

Post by Netopalis »

How to Play Mafia: A Beginner's Guide
by Netopalis

Welcome to the game of Mafia! Understanding advanced Mafia strategy can be difficult and daunting when first joining the site. Luckily, once you start to get the hang of it, it becomes much, much easier. Since not everyone may be familiar with the style of play and rules on this site, what follows is a basic overview of how the game works. If you've played Mafia before, feel free to skip it.

At the beginning of the game, there are two factions: Mafia and The Town. Each has a different goal: The goal of the mafia is to eliminate all non-mafia players. The goal of the town is to eliminate all Mafia players. Each faction has a tool which it can use to achieve its goal. For the town, this tool is the lynch. At any time, a majority of players voting for another player to be lynched will eliminate that player and reveal whether or not they were in the Mafia. This also ends the "day" phase. The game is organized into "day" and "night" phases, and it is during the night that special actions are taken.
During this night phase, the Mafia will choose one person to eliminate. This is generally someone that the Mafia feels will be a threat to their continued existence, but there are many reasons that the Mafia can eliminate someone. Additionally, some players may have additional roles, such as the Cop, the Doctor and the Roleblocker. In Newbie games, the roleblocker is a mafia-aligned player who chooses another player at night. If the roleblocker chooses the doctor or the cop, that player's actions do not have effect during the night. The Cop has the ability to investigate one targeted player per night, identifying whether they are aligned with the town or the mafia. Finally, the doctor has the ability to protect one person per night. If the doctor chooses the person that the Mafia chooses to eliminate, no elimination happens that night. Regardless, once all night actions have resolved, the game reverts to the "day" phase.
The game continues until one of two situations happens. In the first scenario, the town lynches the final Mafia member. In this case, the town obviously wins. In the second scenario, the town lynches incorrectly at a point where, after the mafia kills, the mafia will have a majority and can openly direct the lynch. A doctor can prevent this scenario from occurring, but only if that doctor correctly targets the same person as the mafia.

Ideal play is heavily dependant upon the faction with which you are playing. To understand how to correctly play as town, though, you need to understand how to play as the mafia. The mafia has three motivations during the game. The first and most important motivation is to avoid detection. This is paramount above all other needs and is the primary driving force of mafia play. The second motivation is protection of teammates. If a mafia member can help steer the town away from his teammate without drawing suspicion on himself, he gains a huge advantage. Finally, the mafia needs to eliminate players that are a threat to their play.
Avoiding detection is easier than it sounds. Most players that are lynched are lynched due to poor reactions to suspicion. To successfully play as a member of the mafia, you must ALWAYS keep your cool. Personal attacks are never warranted, nor is excessive aggression. You need to at least appear to be the voice of reason in the town. Played correctly, the lynch can be as useful of a tool as the night kill - successful pressure put towards the right votes and against the right votes will gain credibility and put a superior mafia player in a hugely advantageous position.
One common question that new mafia-aligned players have about their play is how to choose who to kill at night. As a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I believe strongly in the elimination strategy, both for finding scum and figuring out who to kill. Start by taking a list of players from the front page:

Player 1
Player 2
Player 3
Player 4
Player 5

In this case, assume that player 1 is in the mafia. Therefore, you can eliminate him as a potential kill. This leaves you with the following list:

Player 2
Player 3
Player 4
Player 5

Next, you need to look at who it would be disadvantageous to kill. Player 3 has been, in this hypothetical, largely suspected by the town on the previous day. It's likely that they will be lynched in the future. Therefore, it's at the mafia's disadvantage to kill this player.

Player 2
Player 4
Player 5

Player 4 has generally been actively lurking. It's obvious that he won't be contributing a great deal to the town's correctly lynching.

Player 2
Player 5

Given two players whose killing does not disadvantage the mafia, it's time to make a judgment call. Some factors to consider include the following:

Who suspected who at the end of the last day? On one hand, you want to keep players around who are on the wrong track. On the other hand, by killing someone that suspected you, you immediately open yourself up to suspicion from the remaining players.

Who is likely to be a power role? Is there anyone who has claimed? Is it likely that there is a doctor? If it is likely that there is a doctor, it's a bad idea to kill off a claimed power role, because they'll most likely be protected. Instead, if a roleblock is available, use that on the claimed player. Otherwise, kill off confirmed innocents as soon as possible.

Who is the town's leader? Successfully offing the top player for the town makes the town scramble to find new footing. This can be incredibly useful.

Of course, there are a number of other criteria, but this should get you started.

When playing as town, you face a much more difficult task. Mafia members are, by nature, difficult to identify because they are trying to avoid just that. However, this very avoidance can be used against them. Some factors that might lead you to think that someone is scummy might include the following:

Very little content in posts - Mafia members often avoid trying to say anything seriously definite or productive because it is their goal to avoid detection. Publicly stating things which later turn out to be wrong can often lead to identification and lynching.

Waffling - Very similar to the above, but the mafia player likes to shield himself or herself with the majority. It's hard to attack someone for voting the same way that a majority of the town did. However, if someone seems to twist every time there's a shift in opinion, that player is either indecisive or mafia.

Generally trying to hide something - Often times, when reading someone's post, you get the feeling that they're trying to hide something from you. This can be indicative of either a power role or of mafia alignment.

Aggressiveness - Mafia members sometimes like to be aggressive because aggression often ends the day early with very little information going to the town. A player who is overly aggressive can sometimes be mafia, or they might just be an overzealous townie.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. Realistically, the game of Mafia comes down to a matter of opinion. You will probably get a gut reaction while reading player's posts. Your job after getting this reaction is figuring out why you suspect that person. There's usually a good reason. Reread the game and try to logically support your argument because, while you may be right, you need others to vote with you if you want a lynch.

Finally, I want to mention an important resource. There's a link at the top of the page to the MafiaScum Wiki. This is a wiki which contains information on various roles, (limited) player histories, strategy articles and a plethora of other important information. If you're unsure of the meaning of a particular word, role or phrase, consult the Wiki.

I hope this helps! Happy Scumhunting!

-Netopalis

McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:15 am

Post by McGriddle »

Netopalis wrote:Alright. Questions to all players:

2) Please describe your playstyle. Do you feel that you are more biased towards logic or gut? How would you describe your reasoning process?
6) Would you agree with the statement, "Lynch all Liars"? Why? How about the statement "You appear to be too townie, therefore you must be scum" or "Never lynch a claimed power role on the same day that the player claims"?

I will be giving my answers after everybody else has answered, as to avoid biasing the answers of everybody else.
1. I am SE/IC so about 6 games under my belt on this site.
2. I am pretty aggressive, and I am biased off of logic which isn't always helpful so sorry in advanced. My reasoning is based off of experience and tests.
3. I love this game because it makes me happy :P
4. European all the way,
5. Scum, I am better at it, and it is more fun.
6. No. It is not always scum that lies. The first statement is scum sticking up for his buddy, or a moron. The second is situational.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:05 am

Post by Unsight »

1) I've played two games on mafiascum.net and a few in other places but I still consider myself a newbie.

2) My playstyle is... inconsistent. Different settings and people make the game very different so playstyles have to be different. I'm still trying to find the right balance for mafiascum.net.

3) Because it's fun. ^_^

4) Yes.

5) On mafiascum.net I have no preference. In other places, definitely town.

6) Depends on the situation I think, but that's probably a much bigger discussion.
Games are meant to be fun.
Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:17 am

Post by Unsight »

I have questions too!

A) If you're pro-town and someone else that is pro-town votes to lynch you, is someone playing badly? If so, who?
B) If you were pro-town and were almost certainly going to be lynched, what would you do?
C) Under what circumstances is it okay to list or not list your suspects?
D) When someone votes a new suspect, should that person explain why they unvoted their old suspect too?
E) If someone doesn't answer a question, does that make them scum, scummy, or just annoying?
Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:18 am

Post by Unsight »

Oh yeah, I'm Unsight. Nice to meet you all. ^_^
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:31 am

Post by Netopalis »

A) If you're pro-town and someone else that is pro-town votes to lynch you, is someone playing badly? If so, who?

I'm afraid that this is too generic to really answer. There are times when pro-town wagons happen against pro-town players, and it's unfortunate, but it does happen and it's not necessarily indicative of bad play.

B) If you were pro-town and were almost certainly going to be lynched, what would you do?

Usually, if I'm pro-town and almost ready to be lynched, I claim if the case against me is pretty good. However, if I feel that the case against me is crap, I generally respond by saying so. It usually doesn't help much, but I do it anyway.

If asked, always list. The whole "hiding who everybody thinks is pro-town" thing is, in my opinion, bunk.

D) When someone votes a new suspect, should that person explain why they unvoted their old suspect too?

Sometimes, unless they have a much stronger reason for changing their vote than they had for their initial vote.

E) If someone doesn't answer a question, does that make them scum, scummy, or just annoying?

Depends. Inactivity is annoying, intentionally hiding things is scummy.

McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:19 am

Post by McGriddle »

Unsight wrote:I have questions too!

Yes, I would be playing bad, it's not like it doesn't happen a lot lol.

If I were town I would defend myself, or if I am REALLY desperat I would claim a power role under the judgement that we could possibly lynch actual scum that day, and the night kill would be spent on me if I were a Vanilla Townie in this situation.
If you want town to win I expect LoS's any time.

Partially, but mostly what made them figure the other person was a better candidate.
No, none of the above, they could miss a question, or it could be a question that can't be answered without looking like scum. In any case if they don't answer a question I believe in restating and repetition on insisting they answer it.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:31 am

Post by Netopalis »

Yeah, I think that McGriddle gets to the heart of the last question here and leads us to a valuable point - it's just as, if not more important to look at the motivations of people as the actions that they take.

mariomaster777
mariomaster777
Townie
mariomaster777
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:34 am

Post by mariomaster777 »

1. I have played live mafia as a "social builder" for one of my clubs on campus. I have also played a few mafia games on other forums and have hosted a 20+ themed mafia on the same forum 7 different times.

2. I try my best to base decisions based on pure logic. However, I track my gut feelings. If I feel that the logic I come up with for a decision is weak, I may decide off gut feeling rather than making a poor decision based off logic that may be flawed.

3. It's a battle of wits and deception, sometimes with a little probability/statistics thrown in. Sort of like how I enjoy playing poker. Besides, who doesn't like a good mystery?

4. I don't know...... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

5. Tough question since there are benefits to both sides. Being a townie, I get to use my logic to discover the truth. It's like figuring out a puzzle. Being scum, you already know who is "good" and who is "bad" so there is less of a puzzle to figure out (doctors and inspectors are nice to figure out). But then you get to act in a deceptive manner, which is always fun.

6. a) No. A doctor could lie in an attempt to protect himself/herself. And if you're on the town side, lynching the doctor is obviously a mistake.
b) You can't be "too" townie. There are quiet townies, aggressive townies, and all in the between. Since the range is so wide, scum can act in a variety of ways as well.
c) I haven't played in many games where people outright claim a power role. In games with very few scum, if scum attempted to claim a power role, it might be advantageous for the true power role to reveal themselves. Trading a power role for a scum early in the game is a good deal since the numbers advantage is still there. So in this case, no. I would lynch the original claimed power role. Course, it could backfire if people side with the original revealer (who is lying). I would hope though the exchange both people eventually get lynched, leading to the early trade advantage described above. If it's late in the game, losing a doctor for a scum might be a bad idea. Perhaps some math is involved here.
Group co-operation is like a puzzle. If the pieces don't fit, you aren't pushing hard enough.
Julano
Julano
Townie
Julano
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:51 am

Post by Julano »

Hi everyone. My second online game (first on this site) and once again I'm at the top of the player list :mrgreen:
Netopalis wrote:My play is based strongly on solid, logical arguments as opposed to gut feelings and emotions.
I like you already. You are my eternal ally for this game.

And now to answer the large number of questions:
Netapolis wrote:1) What experience, if any, do you have in playing the game of Mafia?
1. I play in real life with friends quite often. Our group has grown from about 6 people to up to 12 on some days.
2. Logic. Well, I guess it's gut actually, but that's pretty much based on logic anyway.
3. Fun.
4. European.
5. Probably town because working it out is pretty fun, although I'll admit to being disappointed when I get my role and it's town.
6. "Lynch all Liars" <-- I've seen townies lie, but that's pretty rare so yes.
"You appear to be too townie, therefore you must be scum" <-- That's pretty nasty, frankly
"Never lynch a claimed power role on the same day that the player claims" <-- I guess, though this isn't a question that comes up too much in face to face.

And on to the second set...
Unsight wrote:A) If you're pro-town and someone else that is pro-town votes to lynch you, is someone playing badly? If so, who?
A. Them. I don't really bother trying to appear innocent when I'm town, so they're just reading me wrong :wink:
B. Post my suspicions with some detail so that the town have something to work off when they see my thoughts were legitimate.
C. Again, doesn't come up in face to face so I don't really know.
D. Why not?
E. Yes.
mariomaster777
mariomaster777
Townie
mariomaster777
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:57 am

Post by mariomaster777 »

Unsight wrote:I have questions too!

A. Nope. This situation is likely to happen. There is very little information (if any at all) at the start of a game. Day phase 1 is likely to be very arbitrary in terms of voting content, and you get a whole smorgasbord of reasons behind votes. Not to mention that people interpret things in different ways. Your response to a question might look perfectly fine to you, but someone else may interpret it in a way that makes you look like scum.

B. Give the best logical defense I could. I would argue both sides: reasons I am a townie and reasons I am scum. Then I'd put it on the players to make the most informed decision they could.

C. I do not like sharing my list of suspects in a public setting. It gives scum more information to work with, and can create opportunities to send the townies on a wild goose chase. Of course, if you are scum, sharing your thoughts with your teammates in a private setting is always advantageous.

D. It depends. Sometimes the information you gain to change your vote is enough. "This is just a better vote than my old one." You may still suspect the old vote, but at the time the new vote is for someone you suspect more. Other times you unvote someone because you believe they are not scum, but you don't have a good reason for your next vote.

E. Avoiding a question doesn't mean scum. Power roles on the townie side need to avoid detection as well. Plus, some questions are designed to provoke someone into saying something they might regret, or might be interpreted the wrong way. It could be a good strategy for scum to pose such questions and create a witch hunt.
Group co-operation is like a puzzle. If the pieces don't fit, you aren't pushing hard enough.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:58 am

Post by Netopalis »

...are you sure you guys are newbies? These are some pretty good answers.

mariomaster777
mariomaster777
Townie
mariomaster777
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:00 am

Post by mariomaster777 »

To the people posing questions: It would be helpful if you also answered your own questions. Thanks.
Julano
Julano
Townie
Julano
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:01 am

Post by Julano »

Anyway, I'm thinking Legions is suspicious. Clearly trying to make us forget he's in the game by not posting. Definite mafia there.
Julano
Julano
Townie
Julano
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:02 am

Post by Julano »

mariomaster777 wrote:To the people posing questions: It would be helpful if you also answered your own questions. Thanks.
True 'dat.

I'm not sure quite how questions are going to get discussion started on this game, but it's better than the random voting I've seen in others.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:07 am

Post by Netopalis »

Random voting is unfortunately the norm on this site - I choose not to partake because I feel that its results are questionable. As I said earlier, I'll be answering my questions last, just so that my answers don't end up being everybody else's answers. I once played a game in which I answered first, and the other players basically potsed, "Yeah, what he said." Absolutely unhelpful.

Julano
Julano
Townie
Julano
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:11 am

Post by Julano »

Netopalis wrote:Random voting is unfortunately the norm on this site - I choose not to partake because I feel that its results are questionable. As I said earlier, I'll be answering my questions last, just so that my answers don't end up being everybody else's answers. I once played a game in which I answered first, and the other players basically potsed, "Yeah, what he said." Absolutely unhelpful.
Fair enough.

Also, "Inexperience Challenged" - huh?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”