Author Topic: Camp Ivanhoe  (Read 6032 times)

Richie Tenenbaum

• Society of Crossed Keys
  •  
    • View Profile
Re: Camp Ivanhoe
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2021, 08:48:54 am »
I am available for the challenge time tomorrow so put me in coach

Duke

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2021, 08:53:06 am »
I don't want to sit out of two in a row, so count me in for this one.

I'm having a little difficulty understanding the rules exactly, but I assume we can discuss it?

Richie Tenenbaum

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2021, 09:04:35 am »
If I'm understanding this correctly, the main point scoring is by empty quoting numbers divisible by 3 on the active pages (10, 15 and 20) in the live challenge thread.  Elsewise this is mostly a shitposting challenge.

We can divvy up responsibilities among our five though.  Like, initial suggestion: two people be responsible for posting agreed upon divisible by 3 numbers and two others responsible for watching for and empty quoting those specific posts.  Then the fifth person is a floater there to try to snipe scoring numbers posted by the other team.

Herman Blume

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2021, 09:32:56 am »
I definitely need to sit this challenge out because A.) I can't guarantee I'd be free at that exact time and 2.) I would not be able to post fast enough on just a phone.

Anthony Adams

• Banned From Set
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2021, 09:35:05 am »
Y'all know the add the digits trick, right?

M. Gustave

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2021, 09:36:38 am »
i'll contribute to this challenge. i think richie is reading the challenge correctly.

i'm not sure my reaction time is elite, so i'd probably be best as a number poster rather than as a quoter or 'sniper.'

pedit: thank you for reminding me about that anthony, that'll help a lot for everyone

Oracle

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2021, 09:47:32 am »
Here is what we have so far:

Definitely in for the challenge: Richie, Duke, Gustave
Definitely sitting out for the challenge: Oracle, Herman, Anthony
Not yet responded: Suzy, Sam, Young Writer

2 of the not yet responded people need to participate or someone in the sitting out category is going to have to go in.

Young Writer

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2021, 09:58:24 am »
Unfortunately I will be unable to participate at deadline tomorrow.

Oracle

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2021, 10:28:37 am »
So we first need to ask if Sam and Suzy are both available and able to participate, and then I think if one or both cannot two of us are going to have to bite the bullet and attempt it.

I personally will not be available due to to work that ends approximately one and a half hours after the deadline is over.

Sam Shakusky

• Banned From Set
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2021, 10:42:07 am »
I am a big question mark on availability that time tomorrow but have a higher chance of making it work than the people who've already requested to sit out.

Basically count me as in but if I don't show up have Anthony sub.

Anthony Adams

• Banned From Set
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 07, 2021, 10:45:32 am »
:) Okay

Anthony Adams

• Banned From Set
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 07, 2021, 10:46:59 am »
So to add to the adding digits trick you can ignore any 0, 3, 6 or 9 while adding since it has no effect on the remainder; if it only contains those, then it's a multiple of 3, I believe

Oracle

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2021, 10:59:00 am »
Currently:

Definitely in for the challenge: Richie, Duke, Gustave
Should be here for the challenge: Sam
Back up in case someone isn't here for challenge: Anthony
Definitely sitting out for the challenge: Oracle, Herman, Young Writer
Not yet responded: Suzy

We shall see what Suzy says.

Young Writer

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2021, 11:08:51 am »
A most interesting and somewhat dissapointing occurence has happened. After returning home in my inventory someone sent me both the dog flu serum and the schematics. Unfortunately the mods won't confirm to me who sent them, and I can only assume they were sent to me to publically disclose what they did.

The Dog Flu Serum was a complete and utter dud, containing flavor text equivalent to my pocket knife. The Schematics themselves was a slight hint to the next challenge, mentioning that anyone who purposely misfires might actually provide a small personal benefit to players if they can reuse the bullets.

The latter is interesting as I don't believe anyone on our tribe misfired here (so thank you whoever had this for not purposely throwing away your shot), but one person did misfire on the other tribe...so we should look out for them.

Suzy Bishop

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2021, 11:14:32 am »
I’m waiting for the train to come home. I can participate in the challenge but haven’t read any of the rules or such.

M. Gustave

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2021, 11:22:27 am »
that's some interesting information, writer. i think it was peter who misfired, or am i remembering wrong?

the question is who you got that stuff from. could kylie have handed it over before she was voted out? that would require her to have actually bid on items instead of putting all 500 in, like i had previously assumed.

Young Writer

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2021, 11:25:31 am »
that's some interesting information, writer. i think it was peter who misfired, or am i remembering wrong?

the question is who you got that stuff from. could kylie have handed it over before she was voted out? that would require her to have actually bid on items instead of putting all 500 in, like i had previously assumed.

The Timestamp from the mods is about 10 minutes after deadline, so I would say while possible with execessive mod delays, it's unlikely Kylie sent them.

Richie Tenenbaum

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2021, 11:27:16 am »
I don't believe Kylie was online at all today so it seems extremely unlikely.

Looking back at the challenge, it's not clear if Peter's miss was a misfire or not.  It's described as missing the target area, rather than misfiring.

Anthony Adams

• Banned From Set
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2021, 11:27:37 am »
Also, both of the items are useless to whoever had them now, so that prolly isn't a coincidence

... I suppose that means they have 3 useful items then?

Oracle

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2021, 11:34:21 am »
Oh wow I just saw all of this. Once again Young Writer thank you for confirming all of this. The more information we have on this tribe about those items the better.

So that means we know two items were duds, one was maybe useful if the person who had it had actually outed it. Kind of weird to be honest. A lot of why and how this happened doesn't make a lot of sense.

Either way, at least we know as a tribe.

Okay so as far as the challenge goes it sounds like Suzy, Gustave, Richie and Duke for sure will participate. Sam in theory will participate, but in case Sam isn't here Anthony is on standby to sub in?

I'm going to read over the challenge momentarily and give my thoughts after, but it sounds like you all have already started giving out thoughts and ideas.

Oracle

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2021, 12:01:46 pm »
By the way I'm eating right now I'll respond to people after I'm done.

Young Writer

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2021, 02:23:43 pm »
Okay so I have an idea for this challenge that should give us a strategic advantage.

The main time sink of this challenge seems to be from figuring out what to post, and deciphering posts by the other tribe. As such this challenge is easiest if we break it up into a couple roles.
As such I suggest we have 2 Posters, 2 Decipherers/Scouts, and one Cherry Picker.

The Posters will post numbers, but should have some sort of predetermined behavior/lists of numbers already made (such as one only posting multiples of 3). The Cherry Picker will quote all of the posts from our side that are multiples of 3, which they should be able to do way faster than the other tribe.

The Decipherers/Scouts will have the hard job of figuring out which of the opponents posts to quote, and should be very careful to note any patterns in their posting habits, since if we're doing it, they might be as well.

M. Gustave

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 07, 2021, 03:54:09 pm »
i'll be a poster, if nobody minds. i was thinking of, for my first post and every three after that (posts 1, 4, 7, ...) i would include a multiple of 3, and for the rest they would be decoy numbers. does anyone think that's too simple of a pattern? i wouldn't want anybody on our side to get confused by my stuff, but opponents stealing our points is just as bad.

Duke

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 07, 2021, 07:54:38 pm »
can I have the dog flu serum

dog flu is a big thing on the isle of dogs

Duke

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2021, 07:55:50 pm »
From what I read on the thread, the posts you quote have to be on that same page, right? And there's only 25 posts total allowed there. I think speed is going to be so important that it's not worth combing through the opponents' posts for multiples of three - it's more important to have everyone working together to score our own guaranteed points.