Author Topic: Challenge 11: CSI: Lake Gaston  (Read 1127 times)

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Challenge 11: CSI: Lake Gaston
« on: July 21, 2020, 05:04:08 pm »

In Survivor Jeff Probst always asked if rewards were worth playing for. It turns out that some rewards...

...aren't worth dying for.

Gather 'round, detectives, because we've got a mystery.  Last night we got a call from Survivormeet Manor, the big house on the shore of Lake Gaston.  It seems like the owner of the mansion, a guy named Reck, was murdered.  I don't have a lot of details right now but apparently he was running some sort of scam getting people to invest in an energy drink company, and somebody decided to put an end to his scheme.

While Reck was breaking the law, that doesn't mean it was okay for the murderer to kill him, though, so I want you all to do some digging and arrest the culprit.

When you start SNIP, you'll be linked to the entrance hall of Survivormeet Manor.  Navigate the house using basic commands:
Go North/South/East/West
Look at [ITEM]
Take [ITEM]
Ask [PERSON] about [Statement1/Statement2/Statement3]
Ask [PERSON] about [ITEM IN INVENTORY]

In your confessional, post who you think killed Reck, the weapon they used, and where they did it.

SUSPECTS: Broseidon, Cephrir, Kilby, Mina, PEG, Xofelf
WEAPONS: Candlestick, Knife, Lead Pipe, Revolver, Rope, Wrench
ROOMS: Ballroom, Billiard Room, Conservatory, Dining Room, Hall, Kitchen, Library, Lounge, Study

A few bits of advice: The only person who will ever lie is the murderer. The site of the murder will have at least one piece of evidence that can't be explained.

The player who solves the mystery correctly in the shortest amount of time will win immunity.  Good luck!

Times up!!!

PDT5:00 PM, Thu 23 Jul
EDT8:00 PM, Thu 23 Jul
BST1:00 AM, Fri 24 Jul
ACST9:30 AM, Fri 24 Jul
AEST10:00 AM, Fri 24 Jul
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 04:32:54 pm by Joss Carter »

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge 11: CSI: Lake Gaston
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 05:06:15 pm »
(By the by, all scummers mentioned in this game gave permission to be written into the story. The story was written literally over a year before casting was done so don't read anything into that either way.)

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 07:14:04 pm »
Nobody has started yet but I want to make a few things clear with dialog:

Each suspect has three statements. You can hear these by typing literally "Ask Joss about Statement1", "Ask Holly about Statement3", or "Ask Sherlock about Statement2".  Yes, that exact phrasing.

Each suspect can also be asked about the six weapons, but only if they are in your inventory.

There is no other dialog from talking to suspects.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 03:44:08 pm »
The server upon which this challenge is hosted is not the best, and there have been reports of people having the game freeze.

I have found a way around this but it only works on Windows and also requires you to install Quest.  If you have Quest, then you can download the game from the link given in the form and open it in Quest.

This is not mandatory, of course; you are free to do the game in-browser. If it freezes, nothing in the game is "state-dependent"; characters won't "remember" that you asked them about something and therefore act differently or anything like that.

Only two people have done the challenge so far; I will be reaching out to them.

My apologies about this; this is a new challenge format and obviously there are some bugs to iron out.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 03:53:54 pm »
If either of these options are deemed unacceptable/unworkable to you, let me know ASAP.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 04:33:52 pm »
This challenge has been cancelled.

Please be patient while we find a replacement.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 04:42:21 pm »
Screenshot your score, post in confessional

Sherlock Holmes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 04:58:20 pm »
For full details.

Rules for this challenge are the same as every other general flash game

You must include a tab open from this forum in your screenshot

Only your current score in the screenshot will count, your best score will mean nothing (as we don't know if you got this best score today or previously)

You have 60 mins from filling in the form to posting in your confessional, any late submissions will not count

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
  • Welcome to Grouchland, now scram!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 05:08:46 pm »
Thank you mods for trying to find a good workaround, and bringing in a replacement when you couldn't. We appreciate it.
You have the right to scream your head off. Should you give up the right to scream your head off, someone who will scream their head off... will be provided for you.

Scruff McGruff

• Desk Duty
  • Facing a five-course meal of crime.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 09:02:11 pm »
I thought you meant we only had one hour until the phase ends upon rereading and almost had a heart attack.

Leon Kennedy

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 09:45:09 pm »
I thought you meant we only had one hour until the phase ends upon rereading and almost had a heart attack.

I second this.

Sherlock Holmes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 05:01:29 pm »
Today you may not Rabble, you must instead make up a word that rhymes with Rabble and define it

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
  • Welcome to Grouchland, now scram!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 05:02:24 pm »
Crabble, that feeling when you're grumpy that results aren't exactly on time.
You have the right to scream your head off. Should you give up the right to scream your head off, someone who will scream their head off... will be provided for you.

Penelope Garcia

• Desk Duty
  • Enchantress of all things possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 05:02:53 pm »
trabble.

it's when you're in trouble but you're being asked 1 million questions and you just keep rabbling on and on until you slip up