Author Topic: Episode 11: Jake Used Chevrons! They're Super Effective!  (Read 3367 times)

Alexandra Cabot

• Spectator
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 11
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 07:26:54 pm »
oh! i thought i was going to find statements to ask people about and was confused when i didn't

Nick Wilde

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 12:21:52 pm »
Just want to make a quick note of how much I appreciate Lucifer's audio confessional. I've only listened to the most recent one, but it's pretty interesting to hear his detailed thoughts on everything and I feel like it gets across where he was at really well.

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 01:46:30 pm »

Increasingly inscrutable alliance charts are oh so wonderful

Tachikoma

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 02:19:01 pm »
yeah i'm not even sure what the possible use of that is at some point

Tachikoma

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 02:20:07 pm »
also like, how much more obviously can you say "hi penelope, i would like to beat you at the end, here is my plan to control everything for the rest of the game, how does that sound?"

Tachikoma

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 02:23:24 pm »
fortunately jake will probably be removed before he manages to pagong the entire 99th lol

Nick Wilde

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 04:59:42 pm »
Not wanting to spam up the form for y'all mods - what's the flash game?

Officer Jenny

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 05:14:37 pm »
It's Indefinite: Interrogation Game.

Tachikoma

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 05:19:49 pm »
rip challenge :(

i liked it a lot and i want to find a way to make it work in the future

Finnick

• Spectator
  • #blm #acab
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2020, 05:43:29 pm »
it was a lot of fun to go through but yeah the freezing made in unbearable.

there has gotta be a way to make it work because its such a great idea.

also props on the writing! that was genuinely enjoyable

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2020, 06:46:18 am »
I must've been lucky, I managed to go around and talk to everyone and examine/pick up the stuff I could find without really running into an issue.  Shame about the problems, because it was an interesting and unique challenge. 

I wouldn't have wanted to lose the challenge so I would've probably just had people do a google form, and then when they enter their information to start the clock, it just paste dumps the entire text of the game:
Spoiler
Lounge
The lounge is full of relaxing furniture. Two sofas sit perpendicular to the a fireplace with a coffee table between them. Along the wall is a chest of drawers. Cephrir is here.

Chest contents:
A telegram addressed to Mina. It warns her that the finances of Mati Energy Drink LLC are worse than the public realizes and that the company is likely to go insolvent any day. Fingerprints: PEG and Reck

Cephrir statements
1. I am not proud of my behavior this weekend. The fear of losing all of my money has really had me in the worst mental state. Why, I had a serious fight with Broseidon in the ballroom and I almost shot him. Part of me feels he would have deserved it, but I still would have felt awful.

At any rate, I'd begun to piece together information about the energy drink company and knew I was in danger of financial ruin. I needed help and I made the mistake of asking PEG. All I'll say about PEG is that his temper will get him in trouble some day.

2. There has been a ton of suspicious behavior this weekend.

I looked in the Lounge and saw PEG hiding a paper in the ornamental cupboard. I meant to go back and look but never had an opportunity. I got distracted by the phone ringing.
I picked up the phone extension in the Study and overheard Reck laughing with his banker about how much money he was going to make and how nobody would dare to stop him.

It finally made sense why Mina pulled me aside in the Lounge earlier. She urged me to back out of the MATI deal, but wouldn't tell me why. Looking back, I think she was frightened

3. One or or another, Reck had involved everyone in this MATI Energy business. He even persuaded Broseidon to help with his scheme, although Lord knows how he managed to do that.

After dinner I couldn't bear to be in Reck's company. He has this really annoying habit of vaping after every meal; he says it relaxes him but of course it's just another classic example of him having no regard for anyone nearby. So I went to find Mina. She was in the Conservatory but so was PEG. I had no interest in hanging out with him so I went to the Lounge and chilled with Bro but then PEG came in again. We remained there until we heard the news about Reck.

Cephrir comment on rope: "Rope? Presumably you mean the sort you hang yourself with? No, I haven't seen any. Things might be bad for me but they're not quite that bad."
Cephrir comment on candlestick...
Cephrir comment on gun...
etc
[close]
and so on, for every room.  All of it

Tachikoma

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 08:32:13 am »
I told him to mention Agatha Christie, etc. for Poirot

he explicitly was like "yeah you build bonds with people you've spent time with, versus us who just met at the merge".

1. Theres been a bunch of this this game... do people really like having the same conversation with everybody so much that this is fun for them? I think half the fun of this game is talking about sociology with one person and talking "what would you do if you were a dog in space" with another.

2. Why do people say this every game. Can we collectively stop being this terrible at survivor? It's about the same thing as saying "please tilt at me every round until one of us is dead."

Nick Wilde

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 11:49:17 am »
We talked a bit about her perception as gamebot and I said I hate that word/concept (which I do, I think it's dumb lazy shorthand for bad social play but the phrasing just demonizes strategic play and they're two completely different things).

I'm fairly sure this was a reference to my describing Judy as something of a gamebot on the other tribe... Am I the only person who doesn't view gamebot as a bad thing? I've always classed myself as one and I usually just see it as meaning 'is a very strategically-focused player' - you can absolutely be a gamebot and still have a good social game, you'll just be talking more about in-game plans than you will about what everyone's favourite cereal is or whatever.

Or maybe my own perception of a gamebot is off, idk. I know Judy came to me going:

On a personal basis, I do really like you, so I was sad when the narrative in my ear was that you were the one calling me a gamebot first.

and I was just kinda confused about why she was annoyed. She's clearly someone willing to take the lead on votes and who isn't averse to talking strategy a whole bunch.

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 12:56:12 pm »
The "bot" in gamebot certainly is meant to convey a robotic nature, in other words a one-track mind perhaps lacking in human emotions.  If we can agree on that, what do we then mean with the prefix "game"?  I think that the gamebot sees everything as game: their human opponents as game pieces and their human interactions as game moves.  Altogether, not a flattering term. 

Probably in an effort to demonstrate they "get" that Survivor is also an emotional and human game, fans tend to employ the word liberally, directing it at virtually anyone at all who is perceived as nerdy or strategic, even though being a strategic player doesn't preclude one from understanding and engaging in the social components of the game whatsoever.

In fact, one could argue that calling someone a gamebot is itself interpreting a fully three-dimensional person, as we all are, in a two-dimensional perspective, and therefore is hypocritical and reductive.  All in all, it's fairly useless as a term, especially with how widely the label is used, and people should just say "very strategic," "less charismatic," "less social," and so on.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 01:27:29 pm by Scully and Hitchcock »

Burton Guster

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2020, 01:22:39 pm »
Meanwhile Grouch with a ridiculous score for indefinite interrogation. Hopefully that holds up so we can an interesting first round.