Author Topic: Episode 11: Jake Used Chevrons! They're Super Effective!  (Read 3488 times)

Burton Guster

• Spectator
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 11
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2020, 01:36:31 pm »
And rust just destroyed it.

Kate Macer

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2020, 01:49:04 pm »
And then Penelope.

Burton Guster

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2020, 02:05:58 pm »
The "bot" in gamebot certainly is meant to convey a robotic nature, in other words a one-track mind perhaps lacking in human emotions.  If we can agree on that, what do we then mean with the prefix "game"?  I think that the gamebot sees everything as game: their human opponents as game pieces and their human interactions as game moves.  Altogether, not a flattering term. 

This is what I feel gamebot means. Being strategically minded isn't necessarily enough for the term to hit, since well, everyone has to talk strategy and I've even had entire games with people where conversations were almost entirely game talk and I wouldn't consider them gamebots. I think it's meant to refer to someone who just views people as chess pieces and the like, or at least that's how you think they perceive the game.

The question of whether that 2 dimensionalizes a 3D person is interesting though. Less in that I think it definitely does do that and more in the way that in order to get across ideas quickly in the game reducing people to less nuanced personality traits is often likely, especially when we only have so many in game interactions with them and rarely enough time to see all the different facets of a person. Like is there a way around that?

Burton Guster

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2020, 02:48:05 pm »
Uh, what is scruff, that is a ridiculous performance.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 10:03:39 pm »
I must've been lucky, I managed to go around and talk to everyone and examine/pick up the stuff I could find without really running into an issue.  Shame about the problems, because it was an interesting and unique challenge. 

I wouldn't have wanted to lose the challenge so I would've probably just had people do a google form, and then when they enter their information to start the clock, it just paste dumps the entire text of the game:
Spoiler
Lounge
The lounge is full of relaxing furniture. Two sofas sit perpendicular to the a fireplace with a coffee table between them. Along the wall is a chest of drawers. Cephrir is here.

Chest contents:
A telegram addressed to Mina. It warns her that the finances of Mati Energy Drink LLC are worse than the public realizes and that the company is likely to go insolvent any day. Fingerprints: PEG and Reck

Cephrir statements
1. I am not proud of my behavior this weekend. The fear of losing all of my money has really had me in the worst mental state. Why, I had a serious fight with Broseidon in the ballroom and I almost shot him. Part of me feels he would have deserved it, but I still would have felt awful.

At any rate, I'd begun to piece together information about the energy drink company and knew I was in danger of financial ruin. I needed help and I made the mistake of asking PEG. All I'll say about PEG is that his temper will get him in trouble some day.

2. There has been a ton of suspicious behavior this weekend.

I looked in the Lounge and saw PEG hiding a paper in the ornamental cupboard. I meant to go back and look but never had an opportunity. I got distracted by the phone ringing.
I picked up the phone extension in the Study and overheard Reck laughing with his banker about how much money he was going to make and how nobody would dare to stop him.

It finally made sense why Mina pulled me aside in the Lounge earlier. She urged me to back out of the MATI deal, but wouldn't tell me why. Looking back, I think she was frightened

3. One or or another, Reck had involved everyone in this MATI Energy business. He even persuaded Broseidon to help with his scheme, although Lord knows how he managed to do that.

After dinner I couldn't bear to be in Reck's company. He has this really annoying habit of vaping after every meal; he says it relaxes him but of course it's just another classic example of him having no regard for anyone nearby. So I went to find Mina. She was in the Conservatory but so was PEG. I had no interest in hanging out with him so I went to the Lounge and chilled with Bro but then PEG came in again. We remained there until we heard the news about Reck.

Cephrir comment on rope: "Rope? Presumably you mean the sort you hang yourself with? No, I haven't seen any. Things might be bad for me but they're not quite that bad."
Cephrir comment on candlestick...
Cephrir comment on gun...
etc
[close]
and so on, for every room.  All of it

I think giving them everything at once and losing the exploration/investigating detracts a lot from the challenge.

I was 100% prepared to do it over Discord with me c/ping the outputs, though.

Kate Macer

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2020, 11:44:46 pm »
Poirot/Lennie/Judy seem like the most cohesive group right now. The relationships of everyone else are more chaotic. I want to know what Scruff is thinking right now.

Alexandra Cabot

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2020, 04:22:22 am »
right well it's about time i find out what's happening in this game. these people better reply to me

Kate Macer

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2020, 08:42:05 am »
I just had my second night in a row where I dreamed about this, except that it was irl and had little relation to the actual events and players.

Kate Macer

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2020, 09:07:16 am »
who is the vote?? who knows!

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2020, 10:45:04 am »
I am loving Jake's graph and the fact that his graph is being shared.

Tachikoma

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2020, 10:46:43 am »
why is jake telling everyone about all of his alliances

Kate Macer

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2020, 10:57:09 am »
The result is the only people who trust him are scruff and leon.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2020, 10:59:23 am »
In my first game, I not only sent out a drawing of an alliance map, but also a fake alliance map that went to the person I wanted to vote out.

It, uh, turns out people compare notes.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2020, 11:42:09 am »
In my first game, I not only sent out a drawing of an alliance map, but also a fake alliance map that went to the person I wanted to vote out.

It, uh, turns out people compare notes.

Oh hey look at that.

Quote from: Penelope
Also, side note, Jake is doing weird things with diagrams where he sends me one that shows me not connected to anyone, painting me as like needing him. Then he sent one to Pika/Rust with them connected to him (is he trying to hide that he had alliances with them on BAU for some reason???) and me barely connected to them. It's really weird and selective and I can only imagine him scribbling like 10 different diagrams while at work, and it's frustrating me.

Tachikoma

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2020, 12:01:12 pm »
i am hot for the marginalized players figuring it out immediately and trying to do something about it