Mafia 79 - "The Amish Mafia" GAME OVER... WHO WON?

ZombieSlayer54
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:35 am

Post by ZombieSlayer54 »

EA: Any form of bandwagon that gets even slightly large is reckless because there are two kinds of people who can push that bandwagon over the safe edge at an L-6 point.

1. Scum.

2. Townies who come in after not being around for a few days, decide to not read any of the pages, see who has the most votes, and then goes and votes for them.
HIS NAME IS SIR JEREMY WILKINS, AND THAT IS HOW YOU SHALL ADDRESS HIM!
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:26 am

Post by Korts »

All this conversation's fine and dandy, but this debate about theory and such eventually leads to nowhere. Today's lynch is Mellowed Man, come on, people!
scumchat never die
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:38 am

Post by The Fonz »

ValiantValant wrote:
Surye wrote:Bandwagons are good for the soul.
Unvote Vote: Korts

Oh, and
FoS: VV and Korts
as scum buddies, VV seems to be playing a very n00b bussing on him, and it just reeks to me.
Surye, if I were a busser, would I really be the FIRST ONE to cast a vote on a fellow Scum, with no guarantee of any sort of bandwagon occurring?
WIFOM WIFOM WIFOM WIFOM. Oh noes, scum couldn't POSSIBLY do that!

There being no guarantee of a bandwagon actually makes it easier to vote your buddy. It's been noted, empirically, that scum, and especially newbscum, tend to 'random' vote their buddies more often that would be the case with genuine 'random' voting.
Please do correct me here, but bussers normally vote for a Scum, hope he's lynched, so they can say "SEE! Korts was Scum! Surely Mafia wouldn't vote for fellow Scum, would they?" Yet, when I voted, there was absolutely no guarantee of any Bandwagon occurring. In fact, it was the first post of the game, so absolutely no bandwagon was guaranteed. I unvoted him in fact, due to a misunderstanding about the amount of votes needed for a lynch. To make matters worse, I specified that it was a random vote. Why would I take the vote off if I was a busser?
Yeah, 'distancing' is a more applicable term than bussing for the RVS, really.

But it's entirely in character for scum to vote their buddies when they're under little pressure, and not when they're really in trouble.

Why would you take your vote off if it were really random, and the player in question is in no real danger?
ValiantValant wrote:
Surye wrote:
ValiantValant wrote:The reason why I responded was to continue the discussion. Discussion helps Townies catch Mafiosos, as it gives more of a chance for them to slip up.
So do bandwagons.
Point. I'm just not that big on random Round 1 bandwagons. I'm not upset that there is a bandwagon, I just don't wish to join it, as there doesn't appear to be particularly strong support for it. Like I said, should something come up, I will vote for the person being bandwagoned.
DING DING DING!

Scumtell!

"I'm not bandwagonning because other people aren't, but if other people are, I will!"
Surye wrote:
ZombieSlayer54 wrote: FOS Surye.

This random vote bandwagon is getting too serious. You seem to be supporting it.

And bandwagons never help anyone, besides Mafia. It is as bad as quicklynching.
WRONG. It is the single most useful source on information on day 1. Thanks for playing.
mr. incrediball wrote:

oh, and can someone explain what bussing means?
The act of attacking one's scumbuddy, in order to make it seem less likely that the pair of you are in cahoots.
Celebloki wrote:I don't see how not wanting to incriminate yourself is necessarily a scum trait when townies don't want to get false incrimination on themselves either.
The point is, in theory, townies are actually pro-town, so can't 'incriminate themselves.' Though they can make mistakes that others take to be incriminating.

As a more general point, town players should be doing their best to stir up discussion, take positions, try to figure things out, since they WANT other players to get a read on them. Scum don't want town reading correctly, so can be tempted to avoid contributing to avoid giving themselves away.

nswhorse wrote:Sheesh. It seems anything other than random voting or OMGUSing gets chucked in the WIFOM basket. The whole point of this game is that one side has information and the other doesn't. The side that doesn't, must of necessity engage in speculation and second-guessing of motives, or else sit around until a mafia confesses out of sheer boredom.

I stick to my opinion that the mafia wouldn't be dumb enough to bandwagon someone straight up, so it is in my opinion chasing the wind to go after someone on that basis. Call it WIFOM if you will, I call it eliminating unlikely possibilities to concentrate on more likely ones until there is more information to work with. This includes the possibilities of the scum being stupid or brazen. If they are, well it won't keep them alive in the long term.

unvote: Korts
vote: Erratus

For jumping on the lurker.
Except, of course, that plenty of people will make this kind of argument, and therefore it won't necessarily prevent them surviving in the long term.

You say scum wouldn't be that dumb. Because people are willing to make that argument, it isn't actually that dangerous, so it isn't that dumb. WIFOM.

Voting the same people isn't a scumtell. But it's not a towntell either.
killa seven wrote: i come with terms this is how ea plays, he will vote 10 times in a row onto the easiest lynch, anyways im here, need 2 read, lots of wagons and crazy veiws goin on.
That's fairly antitown , and I don't like accepting meta excuses for such actions.
ZombieSlayer54 wrote:EA: Any form of bandwagon that gets even slightly large is reckless because there are two kinds of people who can push that bandwagon over the safe edge at an L-6 point.

1. Scum.

2. Townies who come in after not being around for a few days, decide to not read any of the pages, see who has the most votes, and then goes and votes for them.
That's... well... laughable.
Surye
Surye
Mafia Scum
Surye
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:54 am

Post by Surye »

Unvote, Vote: VV
See? A bandwagon was useful, it's cast you into WIFOM, broken logic, and probably ZS as scumbuddy.

Predictions: VV, ZS, and Korts as scum, in that order.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:16 am

Post by q21 »

Korts wrote:All this conversation's fine and dandy, but this debate about theory and such eventually leads to nowhere. Today's lynch is Mellowed Man, come on, people!
I could get onto a Mellowed Man wagon, same for VV for his wifom and over-defensiveness, but I'd prefer Celeboki because he's a self-professed lurker who's tried to justify his lurking with, "I want to see what's going to happen."
Celebloki wrote:I would say your right on that, Like I stated before I have seen people play overzealously and get noticed heavily, then accrue votes, then be revealed to be town.
I am not defending VV at all but as for myself I am not going to claim a side and remain neutral at this time. I just haven't seen any heavily incriminating play yet.
The underlining is mine. To me it basically says that he's not going to get involved until there's an opening for him to get involved without looking scummy at all. Anyone agree/disagree with me on that?[/u]
"I can't not give mad props to the murderbot 9000 that was q21." - Spyrex, after Scummies Invitational 2010.

You know those times when you wish you could think of something really funny or interesting to say, but just can't?... Yep, this is one of those times.
Surye
Surye
Mafia Scum
Surye
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:02 pm

Post by Surye »

I am sort of seeing the same thing as q21, Celeb's refusal to participate in scumhunting, and looking for a "safe" time to participate is very suspicious to me. So
FOS: Celebloki

But for today, VV seems like a better path, he thinks L-5 is scary, lets see how he reacts to real fire.
ZombieSlayer54
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:07 pm

Post by ZombieSlayer54 »

Surye wrote:
See? A bandwagon was useful, it's cast you into WIFOM, broken logic, and probably ZS as scumbuddy.

Defending someone automatically means that if they are scum, I am scum? Maybe I just do not see the logic that others give?

Of course, you could just have JDodge logic. I luv me sum JDodge logic.
Surye
Surye
Mafia Scum
Surye
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:09 pm

Post by Surye »

ZombieSlayer54 wrote:
Surye wrote:

Defending someone automatically means that if they are scum, I am scum? Maybe I just do not see the logic that others give?

When you defend someone with equally broken logic, yes, it's pretty likely.
Riceballtail
Riceballtail
Mafia Scum
Riceballtail
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:24 pm

Post by Riceballtail »

q21 wrote:To me it basically says that he's not going to get involved until there's an opening for him to get involved without looking scummy at all. Anyone agree/disagree with me on that?[/u]
/agree

FoS: Celebloki

Also curious as to Rigel, whom has been quiet (computer trouble is a good excuse, but it didn't really stop me). Still waiting to see something else to make any real judgments though.
ZombieSlayer54
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:25 pm

Post by ZombieSlayer54 »

Surye wrote:
ZombieSlayer54 wrote:
Surye wrote:

Well, consider this.

If I WAS a Mafia, why would I defend a fellow who is obviously dooming himself? Would I not just let him die of his own stupidity, and maybe make it look like others were actually supporting him, rather than trying to defend him?
Surye
Surye
Mafia Scum
Surye
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Post by Surye »

ZombieSlayer54 wrote:
Surye wrote:
ZombieSlayer54 wrote:
Surye wrote:

Well, consider this.

If I WAS a Mafia, why would I defend a fellow who is obviously dooming himself? Would I not just let him die of his own stupidity, and maybe make it look like others were actually supporting him, rather than trying to defend him?
Oh, gag me with a WIFOM.

I didn't say you were acting like smart scum.
ZombieSlayer54
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:01 pm

Post by ZombieSlayer54 »

Surye wrote:
ZombieSlayer54 wrote:
Surye wrote:
ZombieSlayer54 wrote:
Surye wrote:

Well, consider this.

Oh, gag me with a WIFOM.

I didn't say you were acting like smart scum.
WIFOMs are, actually, quite a good strategy.

And always, ALWAYS presume that the scum who are playing are SMART scum. Stupid scum will always reveal themselves in one way or another. Besides that, always think that the scum is SMART. Doing otherwise will only lead to your downfall.
ZombieSlayer54
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:37 pm

Post by ZombieSlayer54 »

Let me explain what I mean by WIFOMs being a good strategy.

Say you have a WIFOM. Obviously, poisoned. However, any and all Mafia-related WIFOMs will have a poison which ONLY kills Mafia.

I.E. WIFOMs are used to make Mafia slip up. When used on a Townie, it will do nothing but show that they are a Townie, since they did not slip up. In fact, I can not think of a single instance where a WIFOM which I used against someone did not give me accurate results.
Surye
Surye
Mafia Scum
Surye
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:19 pm

Post by Surye »

ZombieSlayer54 wrote:Let me explain what I mean by WIFOMs being a good strategy.

Say you have a WIFOM. Obviously, poisoned. However, any and all Mafia-related WIFOMs will have a poison which ONLY kills Mafia.

I.E. WIFOMs are used to make Mafia slip up. When used on a Townie, it will do nothing but show that they are a Townie, since they did not slip up. In fact, I can not think of a single instance where a WIFOM which I used against someone did not give me accurate results.
Wow, I don't know where to begin. This is so ass-backwards, a WIFOM is an information poison, which is ANTI TOWN not anti mafia. Either you really don't understand WIFOM, or you're digging you hole deeper and deeper.

Hand over the shovel, and let us lynch you. Now I'm serious about a ZS lynch.

Unvote, Vote: ZombieSlayer54
ZombieSlayer54
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
ZombieSlayer54
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:25 pm

Post by ZombieSlayer54 »

Surye wrote:
ZombieSlayer54 wrote:Let me explain what I mean by WIFOMs being a good strategy.

Wow, I don't know where to begin. This is so ass-backwards, a WIFOM is an information poison, which is ANTI TOWN not anti mafia. Either you really don't understand WIFOM, or you're digging you hole deeper and deeper.

Hand over the shovel, and let us lynch you. Now I'm serious about a ZS lynch.

Unvote, Vote: ZombieSlayer54
Or maybe I just have different experiences than you.

WIFOMs, in my experience, have always served to make Mafia slip up, or Townie confirmation.

They have never led to a something anti-Town.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:06 pm

Post by The Fonz »

ZS, could you link to a game where WIFOM has allowed you to do either or those things? Failing that, a hypothetical example? I just find it really hard to see where you're coming from.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:09 am

Post by q21 »

I have to agree with Fonz and Surye here. I have never seen, neither can I think of, any situation where ambiguous information can help the town. Add ZS to that list of people I'd be willing to lynch.
"I can't not give mad props to the murderbot 9000 that was q21." - Spyrex, after Scummies Invitational 2010.

You know those times when you wish you could think of something really funny or interesting to say, but just can't?... Yep, this is one of those times.
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:41 am

Post by Erratus Apathos »

Prod Marmalade and Psychatrog please.

ZombieSlayer54 wrote:EA: Any form of bandwagon that gets even slightly large is reckless because there are two kinds of people who can push that bandwagon over the safe edge at an L-6 point.

1. Scum.

Uh, sure? If VV is town and six scum/morons want to push his wagon to a speedy lynch, great, we subsequently lynch them all and we win. Unless the entire mafia is missing half their chromosomes, then VV's not in any danger and furthermore you need to quit being such a god damn baby over wagons that haven't even got halfway to lynch.
Do you want your possessions identified?
mr. incrediball
mr. incrediball
Goon
mr. incrediball
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:46 am

Post by mr. incrediball »

last time i checked, WIFOM was used by the mafia to confuse the town... or have i got the whole thing wrong?

major fos: ZS
Show
i'm this good at mafia:

wins: none so far (on this site, anyway)

losses: open 72 (as a townie) :(
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:04 am

Post by Korts »

q21 wrote:
Korts wrote:All this conversation's fine and dandy, but this debate about theory and such eventually leads to nowhere. Today's lynch is Mellowed Man, come on, people!
I could get onto a Mellowed Man wagon, same for VV for his wifom and over-defensiveness, but I'd prefer Celeboki because he's a self-professed lurker who's tried to justify his lurking with, "I want to see what's going to happen."
Celebloki wrote:I would say your right on that, Like I stated before I have seen people play overzealously and get noticed heavily, then accrue votes, then be revealed to be town.
I am not defending VV at all but as for myself I am not going to claim a side and remain neutral at this time. I just haven't seen any heavily incriminating play yet.
The underlining is mine. To me it basically says that he's not going to get involved until there's an opening for him to get involved without looking scummy at all. Anyone agree/disagree with me on that?[/u]
/Agree, yeah. I see what you're saying. But Mellowed Man, he's in direct contradiction with himself. Look.
MM wrote: I have a hunch VV is just an overactive player due to his sickness.
First sentence, he accepts VV's defense.
MM wrote: I will Vote: ValiantValant and when he gets well from his sickness (I'm sick but getting better at the moment) I will maybe think about removing my vote.
Next sentence he votes VV for said defense.

On another topic,
unvote, vote: ZombieSlayer
. This whole WIFOM thing is bullshit, unless he provides a link. But after ZS is dead, MM is next, okay?
scumchat never die
Marmalade
Marmalade
Goon
Marmalade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:46 am

Post by Marmalade »

Sorry! Didn't know the thread was open.
ZombieSlayer54 wrote:Dood. Next time, edit the topic name to let us know the game has started. Please?

And, also, Q21, why are you jumping on people for stating that they are random voting? Very bad reason to be jumping on people, you know...

FOS on Q21.

And, along those lines of logic Q21, why not vote for ValiantValant, so as to get a Mafia lynched?

And believe me, I have seen a random votes tally have that happen before.
Um, why aren't you voting for q21?
ValiantValant wrote:Also, assuming that babygirl and I were scum, why would we vote for the same person? That's just going to spell trouble later in the game if one of us (babygirl or I) was ousted, and suspicion would fall onto the other person automatically.
This is WIFOM.
(Also, nwhorse used it too.)
q21 wrote:ValiantValant's vote in the first post of the game proper was most probably random, I just found it interesting that he felt he needed to specifically say so. What I found more interesting were the other two votes I mentioned in post 42, both Riceballtail and babygirl86 placed second votes (Rigel and Korts respectively) and thought that they had to reiterate that those votes were random.
The attacks were just really contrived. Scummy for putting "random" in front of their vote?
ZombieSlayer wrote:FOS Riceballtail

Considering how much I defend myself, especially when I am town, I find VVs actions completely fine.

FOS Surye.

This random vote bandwagon is getting too serious. You seem to be supporting it.

This whole post is just entirely wrong and scummy.

The Celebloki hate is pretty uninteresting.
Zombie wrote:EA: Any form of bandwagon that gets even slightly large is reckless because there are two kinds of people who can push that bandwagon over the safe edge at an L-6 point.

1. Scum.

Wow, fancy being any more careful?
Surye wrote:Predictions: VV, ZS, and Korts as scum, in that order.
Why Korts?

Boohoo. I've been reading this thread, wanting to have voted for Zombie forever, and now everyone else does. :( Steal my fire, people! But yeah, the WIFOM stuff is pretty horrific, but my vote is primarily for the early stuff.

I like Korts and Surye. I don't like q21 or MellowedMan. I like the VV hate. I find the Celebloki wagon uninteresting.

Zombie is the obvious play at this stage.
vote: Zombie
Sign up for [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8094]Unanimous[/url] today!
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:03 am

Post by Korts »

Gee, thanks, Marm. I think I'm on Surye's list because of the possible connection between VV and me. I'd be suspcious of myself myself if I weren't myself.
scumchat never die
Surye
Surye
Mafia Scum
Surye
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:35 am

Post by Surye »

ZombieSlayer54 wrote:Or maybe I just have different experiences than you.

WIFOMs, in my experience, have always served to make Mafia slip up, or Townie confirmation.

They have never led to a something anti-Town.
I'll explain again more carefully.

Town's only tool is logic.
Mafia's advantage is information.

We agree so far?

Okay, WIFOM is a way to throw logic into an infinite loop, distorting it to provide two mutually exclusive and opposite outcomes as nearly equal possibilities. This makes whatever information used to create the WIFOM useless. That is why it is bad, and always bad, for town.

For pro-mafia, WIFOM cannot make them slip up, because it's not actually claiming anything, it's just putting a possibility out there, but it can put them back in the position of monopoly on information.

But I suspect you know all of this, which is why my vote rests neatly on your head.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:54 am

Post by q21 »

Marmalade wrote:Sorry! Didn't know the thread was open.
ZombieSlayer54 wrote:Dood. Next time, edit the topic name to let us know the game has started. Please?

And, also, Q21, why are you jumping on people for stating that they are random voting? Very bad reason to be jumping on people, you know...

FOS on Q21.

And, along those lines of logic Q21, why not vote for ValiantValant, so as to get a Mafia lynched?

And believe me, I have seen a random votes tally have that happen before.
Um, why aren't you voting for q21?
ValiantValant wrote:Also, assuming that babygirl and I were scum, why would we vote for the same person? That's just going to spell trouble later in the game if one of us (babygirl or I) was ousted, and suspicion would fall onto the other person automatically.
This is WIFOM.
(Also, nwhorse used it too.)
q21 wrote:ValiantValant's vote in the first post of the game proper was most probably random, I just found it interesting that he felt he needed to specifically say so. What I found more interesting were the other two votes I mentioned in post 42, both Riceballtail and babygirl86 placed second votes (Rigel and Korts respectively) and thought that they had to reiterate that those votes were random.
The attacks were just really contrived. Scummy for putting "random" in front of their vote?
ZombieSlayer wrote:FOS Riceballtail

Considering how much I defend myself, especially when I am town, I find VVs actions completely fine.

FOS Surye.

This whole post is just entirely wrong and scummy.

The Celebloki hate is pretty uninteresting.
Zombie wrote:EA: Any form of bandwagon that gets even slightly large is reckless because there are two kinds of people who can push that bandwagon over the safe edge at an L-6 point.

1. Scum.

Wow, fancy being any more careful?
Surye wrote:Predictions: VV, ZS, and Korts as scum, in that order.
Why Korts?

Boohoo. I've been reading this thread, wanting to have voted for Zombie forever, and now everyone else does. :( Steal my fire, people! But yeah, the WIFOM stuff is pretty horrific, but my vote is primarily for the early stuff.

I like Korts and Surye. I don't like q21 or MellowedMan. I like the VV hate. I find the Celebloki wagon uninteresting.

Zombie is the obvious play at this stage.
vote: Zombie
The VV hate wouldn't have happened if I hadn't mentioned him and others putting "random" in there votes. Yet you like the VV hate and dislike me. Why exactly?

Surye
Surye
Mafia Scum
Surye
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:01 am

Post by Surye »

Korts wrote:Gee, thanks, Marm. I think I'm on Surye's list because of the possible connection between VV and me. I'd be suspcious of myself myself if I weren't myself.
Yea, to be honest, the more the game goes on, the more I think VV was TRYING to implicate you. My suspicions are not what they used to be. ZS and VV are the important ones.

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”