Newbie 521: Game over, SCUM WINS!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Newbie 521: Game over, SCUM WINS!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:33 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Welcome to newbie 521! I hope you like killing, because you're sure going to be doing a lot of it.

Alive: 3

2)
Sierra

4)
Xtoxm

7)
Thok

Dead: 4

1)
Twister
, mafia goon, lynched d1

3)
Godot
, cop, nked n1

5)
Franzie
Vanilla townie, lynched d2

6)
Kison
, doc, NKed n2

The setup is the Pie E7. It consists of the following roles:

SCUM:

One person recieves this role:
You are a mafia roleblocker, along with your partner _________, who is a mafia goon. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. You may talk with your partner at Night, and send me a choice via PM of who you would like to kill/roleblock (your team can do both if both of you live; if only you survive, you must choose one action or the other).
One person recieves this role:
You are a mafia goon, along with your partner __________, who is a mafia role blocker. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. You may talk with your partner at Night and send me a choice via PM of who you would like to kill (if your partner also lives, they can send in a separate choice to roleblock someone).

TOWN:

3 people receive this role:
You are a Townie, and you've got no special powers at Night. No investigations, no protection, no gun to shoot people. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Help lynch Mafia during the Day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.
1 person recieves this role:
You are the Cop, and you can tell good from bad. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day. (your sanity is confirmed: That is to say your results will always be correct.)
1 person receives this role:
You are the Doctor, and you can protect people from harm. Each Night, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the Mafia, they will live. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and try to lynch correctly during the Day.
Last edited by Thestatusquo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:19 am, edited 9 times in total.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:35 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

The Rules
:(also shamelessly stolen from meme)
  • Votes must be in
    bold
    . If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted.
  • Please be attentive and
    unvote
    , if necessary, before casting a new vote. This is not
    required
    , but I’d appreciate it.
  • Executions will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, his pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. You may
    vote: no lynch
    – majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.
  • The game is not to be discussed outside of the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so.
  • Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing.
  • Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts
  • Don’t quote any PMs from me.
  • If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you – if you do not submit a choice to me, tough! No choice will be made.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:45 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

/Confirm
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Sierra
Sierra
Goon
Sierra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:46 pm

Post by Sierra »

/confirm!
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by Thok »

/confirm
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Godot
Godot
Townie
Godot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:17 pm

Post by Godot »

Godot Special Blend #42. The perfect way to start the day.
/confirm
Twister
Twister
Townie
Twister
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:20 pm

Post by Twister »

/confirm
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:51 pm

Post by Kison »

/confirm
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:47 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Franzie confirmed via PM, so have at it, guys.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by Thok »

Hi all, and welcome to Mafiascum!

Random vote: Xotxm
for having an xcess number of x's.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Sierra
Sierra
Goon
Sierra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:20 am

Post by Sierra »

Hi, have fun everyone!

Vote: Godot
for only joining this site 2 days ago.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:07 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Hi all, have fun too.

vote: Thok
for spelling my name wrong! :evil:
Twister
Twister
Townie
Twister
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:01 am

Post by Twister »

Have fun!
vote: Xtoxm
for OMGUSing! (Oh My Gosh You Suck - voting for someone because they voted for you.)

btw - How much experience does everyone have?

This is my first game, but I have been keeping up with my brother's game - Newbie 507.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:06 am

Post by Kison »

Vote : Twister
, because this is a random vote.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:48 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Twister wrote:Have fun!
vote: Xtoxm
for OMGUSing! (Oh My Gosh You Suck - voting for someone because they voted for you.)

btw - How much experience does everyone have?

This is my first game, but I have been keeping up with my brother's game - Newbie 507.
I did not vote him because he voted me, read the whole post!!!

I'm in a couple that are on day 1, this is essentially my first game.
Sierra
Sierra
Goon
Sierra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:17 am

Post by Sierra »

I played and finished (and won 8-)) a couple of games already, but those were on another site. That was a smaller community where players knew eachother pretty well, so it was often easy to spot if someone was behaving suspiciously. Since I don't know any of you at all, I reckon it will be a little harder here.

Also, I never played this setup before. Any advice on tactics to follow? I figured the doc and the cop should definitely not claim day 1. If we lynch the roleblocker day 1 and they both live to see day 2, they should both claim and the game will be practically won already. If we don't lynch the roleblocker day 1, cop should only claim if he found scum or we're about to lynch the townie he found innocent; doc should only claim if there was no nightkill and we're about to lynch the townie he protected. They of course should also claim when we're about to lynch them. When a mafia falsely claims cop or doc, the real powerrole should immediately reveal himself. Obviously, it's never wise for an ordinary townie to falsely claim cop or doc.

Does this make sense to you lot?
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:39 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Sierra, main problem I see with your post, what if the real cop claims, and mafia then comes forward as the real cop. A cop claim is just one guys word against another then.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Godot
Godot
Townie
Godot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:18 am

Post by Godot »

Twister wrote:btw - How much experience does everyone have?
I am undefeated, and I intend remaining that way.
Sierra wrote:Any advice on tactics to follow?
The cop should only claim if he gets a guilty investigation or if the doctor claims, so that the doctor knows who to protect.

If the cop claims with a guilty investigation the doctor should definitely NOT claim so that the scum don't know who to night kill.

vote Maria
for trying to defile my perfect record.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:45 am

Post by Xtoxm »

There is no-one with that user in the game...Is it a nickname? Could you please make sure names are clear in the future
Godot
Godot
Townie
Godot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:52 am

Post by Godot »

Maria, Sierra, it's all the same to me.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:25 am

Post by Thok »

Twister, any reason for the experience question?

Godot, you're ignoring the effect of the mafia roleblocker, which means that a cop shouldn't claim just because the doc claims (if he does, scum could block the doctor and kill the cop, or vice versa).

Sierra, you're right that hitting mafia day 1 is fairly important in this set up (even getting the goon dead is important, since the mafia roleblocker can't both block and kill if the goon is dead). You're also right that townies shouldn't falsely claim their roles ever.

On a similar note, if you are close to being lynched and you are town, it's more helpful to try to refute the arguements against you then to such claim "Look at me, I'm a vanilla townie, you don't want to lynch me or you'll lose."
Twister
Twister
Townie
Twister
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:38 am

Post by Twister »

Why is everyone so anxious to role claim? I would think that role claiming would be a good way to get yourself killed.

Sierra
If we lynch the roleblocker day 1 and they both live to see day 2, they should both claim and the game will be practically won already.
I disagree. If we don't lynch scum, our doctor is dead that night.

Sierra
If we don't lynch the roleblocker day 1, cop should only claim if he found scum or we're about to lynch the townie he found innocent; doc should only claim if there was no nightkill and we're about to lynch the townie he protected.
WAY too much of a generalization. There are many factors that could arise that would make me still not want to claim. Be careful about convincing a newbie to throw themselves under the bus way too early. I don't think these were your intentions, but if someone followed your suggestions blindly they could be in a lot of trouble.

Sierra
They of course should also claim when we're about to lynch them.
What good will that do? If you're ready to lynch them and they role claim is that going to change your mind or make them seem more scummy? If you're the cop and you think you're going to be lynched and you investigated someone the night before and found scum, then your claim will help the next day, but I doubt it will save your own life.

Sierra
When a mafia falsely claims cop or doc, the real powerrole should immediately reveal himself.
Immediately? The town may not believe the scum anyway, then what good did your role claim do besides get you targeted at night? Also, like Xtoxm said who's to say scum claims first and not second? I think it's dangerous to assume the second person to role claim is telling the truth. The only assumption you can make is that ONE of them is lying.

Sierra
Obviously, it's never wise for an ordinary townie to falsely claim cop or doc.
What about if... Okay, maybe I'll agree with this one. :wink:

Godot
The cop should only claim if he gets a guilty investigation or if the doctor claims, so that the doctor knows who to protect.
If you're the cop, use your information wisely! You can encourage people to believe the information you know without necessarily having to put a big target on your chest at night.

If I were fortunate enough to get a special role I would be VERY protective of that information.
Twister
Twister
Townie
Twister
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:49 am

Post by Twister »

Thok

Twister, any reason for the experience question?
Just curious about who's actually new and who just switched from different forums.
Godot
Godot
Townie
Godot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:29 pm

Post by Godot »

Ugh, maybe Godot Special Blend #42 was a bit too bitter, it seems I forgot about the Roleblocker.

In that case, I don't think claiming is going to get anyone anywhere unless we lynch scum tonight.
Sierra
Sierra
Goon
Sierra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Post by Sierra »

You all make some good points too. I can't agree with all of them, but I guess everybody plays the game a bit differently, or else it would be no fun, would it? :wink:

Just this one thing I'd like to comment on:
Twister wrote:
Sierra
If we lynch the roleblocker day 1 and they both live to see day 2, they should both claim and the game will be practically won already.
I disagree. If we don't lynch scum, our doctor is dead that night.

If we lynch a roleblocker and a vanilla townie gets killed, there will only be five people left. If the cop and doc claim and there are no counter-claims, that only leaves 3 suspects for the role of mafia goon. We lynch one to leave only 2 suspects. The doc protects the cop, the cop can investigate one of the remaining two suspects. The doc will most likely be killed, but the cop has found out the last suspect. Case closed.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”