I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:48 am

Post by Xdaamno »

Sarcastro wrote:
Xdaamno wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:To be honest, I'm not planning on thinking too much about this stuff until at least after the first subgame. For now, I'm just interested in playing the subgame and thinking about what the mafia would do in it later.
Any particular reason?
Well, a combination of laziness and the fact that I don't think it'll be very easy to anticipate what the scumtells for a game like this will be. I also question the wisdom in telling the scum in advance what we expect them to do (this doesn't apply to everything, of course, but it's still a concern).

Also, you're scum.
You do that like every game -_-

(Otherwise fair enough, but I slightly disagree.)
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 am

Post by Xdaamno »

Fiasco wrote: Discuss: should any N0 choices in the first subgame depend on pregame behavior?
Actually, I don't think that's a very good idea. There's no benifet to doing so; it'd just clue in the scum on who the power roles are, IMO.
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 am

Post by Xdaamno »

EBWOP: Wait... power roles? What am I talking about -_-

Disregard that.
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:04 am

Post by Fiasco »

Why? It's a fair point. If I said "I suspect mith because of his pregame behavior" and then mith died N0, scum might deduce from that that I'm a vig and kill me. So you have to be unpredictable about it.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:08 am

Post by Xdaamno »

There's much less harm when there's no power roles (Which there obviously aren't), so I'm not too bothered now. It was just my first reaction.
Cracking Idea Mafia
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:29 am

Post by Fiasco »

Why do you say that "there obviously aren't"? There are power roles in the first three subgames, just not in the metagame. If those subgame power roles are in the hands of metatownies and they die, on average, that's a bad thing.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:44 am

Post by Max »

Fiasco I'll just treat C++ as a closed set-up It'll keep me sane unless I end up being an innocent child *fingers crossed*
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:48 am

Post by Max »

EBWOP: how about I just pretend it truely is close setup
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:08 am

Post by Xdaamno »

Fiasco wrote:Why do you say that "there obviously aren't"? There are power roles in the first three subgames, just not in the metagame. If those subgame power roles are in the hands of metatownies and they die, on average, that's a bad thing.
I'm saying the info from today could the scum info on who to kill. But there are no power-meta-roles, just meta-roles. Unless I mis-read what you were saying? That's what I meant, anyway.
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:11 am

Post by Xdaamno »

Max wrote:Fiasco I'll just treat C++ as a closed set-up It'll keep me sane unless I end up being an innocent child *fingers crossed*
I wouldn't say that's not an entirely bad idea; the only real help is knowing (very little) about what roles
could
exist, of course. If we pay too much attention to the possible setups, it's likely we'd just be distracted.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:57 am

Post by Fiasco »

Xdaamno wrote:I'm saying the info from today could the scum info on who to kill. But there are no power-meta-roles, just meta-roles.
OK, I think I see what you were getting at. Meta-townies with power-sub-roles dying is still bad, though; any given meta-townie is more likely to be on a sub-team in which meta-townies are overrepresented... if that makes sense.

One of the weird things about this game is that some of the time, you're working against your own team without knowing it. But you're working with it more often than against it, so the right play is still to play for the subgame win unless you have a lot of metagame information.

Max, treating it as closed with a limited role list should be safe.

Everyone, impressing me with useful pro-metatown content may help you avoid being a night target in game 1. Hint, hint.
Bapa Bail
Bapa Bail
Townie
Bapa Bail
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:50 am

Post by Bapa Bail »

Hi everyone /confirm
SomeStrangeSimenon
SomeStrangeSimenon
Townie
SomeStrangeSimenon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:54 am

Post by SomeStrangeSimenon »

Hi. This is Sim. Any suggestions to whatever way makes it easier for us to communicate which one of us is speaking?

/confirm
Sammich
Sammich
Goon
Sammich
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:11 am

Post by Sammich »

Maybe you should put your old Avatar.
Coming sometime: [i]Kirby Mafia[/i]
Back, yep
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: Cannot be disclosed, as it would jeapordize my mission

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:11 pm

Post by kabenon007 »

Sammich wrote:Maybe you should put your old Avatar.
But then how would they switch it and how would that show which one said which statement, because the avatars change everywhere when you change it once.
I put the "laughter" in manslaughter.
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:10 pm

Post by kabenon007 »

SomeStrangeSimenon wrote:Hi. This is Sim. Any suggestions to whatever way makes it easier for us to communicate which one of us is speaking?
Perhaps you could check and see if the mod would let you guys use separate text styles?
WaterboyWaldo
WaterboyWaldo
Goon
WaterboyWaldo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:20 pm

Post by WaterboyWaldo »

Hello. I am here to confirm, and also to state that Sarcastro is obviously scum.
Sarcastro
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastric

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:42 pm

Post by Sarcastro »

In other news, I'm bored and I still think this pre-sub-game talk is not especially useful.
[color=darkblue]If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.[/color]
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:51 pm

Post by Xdaamno »

sss, just put

~ ssf

or

~ simenon

at the end of your posts, that's standard.
Cracking Idea Mafia
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:18 am

Post by Adele »

SomeStrangeSimenon wrote:Hi. This is Sim. Any suggestions to whatever way makes it easier for us to communicate which one of us is speaking?

/confirm
What, there's two of you talking through the same mouth?

This is a mini. 12-man. If there are two of you behind a single alt, whatever; keep it to yourself. That's your problem, not mine; and if the two of you can't play consistently as the same character, then you shouldn't be playing the same character anyway. :?
SomeStrangeSimenon
SomeStrangeSimenon
Townie
SomeStrangeSimenon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:27 am

Post by SomeStrangeSimenon »

Adele wrote:

/confirm
What, there's two of you talking through the same mouth?

This is a mini. 12-man. If there are two of you behind a single alt, whatever; keep it to yourself. That's your problem, not mine; and if the two of you can't play consistently as the same character, then you shouldn't be playing the same character anyway. :?

what
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:12 am

Post by kabenon007 »

Adele, it was said in the thread by the mod that there could be two-headed players in this game, as it requires a heavy amount of posting.
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:20 am

Post by ryan »

Sarcastro wrote:In other news, I'm bored and I still think this pre-sub-game talk is not especially useful.
Agreed.
[i]Please remove your head from your ass before you vote.[/i]
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:54 am

Post by mith »

Trapped in the Basement, Part 2

There is silence for several minutes as the guests consider their options. Eventually, one hesitantly suggests:

"We... we could play Mafia."

"This
is
a Mafia meetup, that's true. But who will mod?"

"I WILL."

The guests look around at one another.

"Who said that? That was a funny voice."

"I DID."

"But... I didn't see anyone's lips move..."

"OVER HERE. LOOK DOWN."

Under a desk sits an old computer, with dodgy-looking speakers and a printer. A green LED faintly glows.

"...ok. We have a dead host, and a speaking computer. Is anyone else freaked out?"

"HELLO. I AM THE MAFIA OPERATING DEVICE. YOU CAN CALL ME 'MOD'. WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME?"

"Er... sure."

"PLEASE STATE THE NUMBER OF PLAYERS."

"There's 12 of us, right?"

"SEARCHING AVAILABLE SETUPS... C9++ SELECTED. PLEASE STATE YOUR NAMES, ONE AT A TIME. ONCE THE PLAYER NAMES ARE ENTERED INTO THE SYSTEM, I WILL CALL EACH PLAYER OVER ONE AT A TIME TO RECEIVE HIS OR HER ROLE."

And so, the first Mafia game of the meetup begins, as Kenny rots in the floor.
Last edited by mith on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:10 am

Post by mith »

Subgame 1: C9++

Role Selection

7 letters were chosen at random from the following distribution: T (50%), C (15%), D (10%), V (10%), M (10%), B (5%)

Depending on the number of each letter selected, roles are added to the game as follows:

C = sane cop + 3 millers (millerhood is distributed randomly among non-cop, non-scum, non-child)
CC = sane cop
CCC = sane cop + insane cop
CCCC = sane cop + sane cop
CCCCC = sane cop + sane cop + insane cop
CCCCCC = sane cop + sane cop + sane cop

D = doc
DD = doc + backup doc
DDD = doc + doc
DDDD = doc + doc + backup doc
DDDDD = doc + doc + doc

V = vig
VV = vig + one-shot vig
VVV = vig + vig
VVVV = vig + vig + one-shot vig
VVVVV = vig + vig + vig

M = innocent child
MM = 2 masons
MMM = 2 masons + innocent child
MMMM = 3 masons
MMMMM = 2 masons + 2 masons

B = blocker
BB = blocker + backup blocker
BBB = blocker + blocker
BBBB = blocker + blocker + backup blocker

TTTTTTT = mafia goon + mafia godfather
TTTTTT = mafia goon + mafia godfather + serial killer (DI, BI)
TTTTT = mafia goon + mafia goon + mafia godfather
TTTT = mafia goon + mafia goon + mafia godfather + serial killer (DI, BI, KI)
TTT = mafia goon + mafia blocker + mafia godfather
TT = mafia goon + mafia blocker + mafia godfather + serial killer (DI, BI, CI, KI)
T = mafia spy + mafia blocker + mafia godfather
0 = mafia spy + mafia blocker + mafia godfather + serial killer (DI, BI, CI, KI, SI, RB)

Mafia GF appears to cops as a townie. Mafia Spy learns one targeted player's role type each night (T/C/D/V/M/B). (The SK can tell the mod how he wants to appear to the Spy; if the Spy investigates the SK, the SK is notified.)

DI = each kill bypasses single doc protect (but not more)
BI = bypasses single roleblock attempt each night (but not more)
KI = survives one kill attempt each night (but not more)
CI = appears to cops as a townie
SI = appears to mafia spy as desired
RB = has a roleblock ability usable once

Notes:

No role can target itself.

All kills are indistinguishable.

The mafia and SK know their own abilities. Mafia and SK abilities, cop sanity, and millerhood are not revealed on death.

Backups are not aware they are backups until they take over the role.

Last team standing wins. If everyone dies, SK wins or mafia and town draw.

Sample Role PMs

Mafia Win ConditionYou win when all non-Mafia are dead, and at least one Mafia member is alive. If everyone dies and there is no Serial Killer in the game, you draw (but everyone will be up for elimination in the metagame).

Town Win ConditionYou win when all threats to the town are eliminated, and at least one innocent is alive. If everyone dies and there is no Serial Killer in the game, you draw (but everyone will be up for elimination in the metagame).

Serial Killer Win ConditionYou win when all other players are dead, whether or not you are still alive.

MafiaYou are in the Mafia with [PARTNER OR PARTNERS GO HERE]. Each night, you may communicate with your partners and choose one player to kill (you must also specify who is making the kill).

Mafia GodfatherYou are the Godfather, and if you are investigated by a Cop, the Cop will receive whatever result he/she would have gotten checking a Townie.

Mafia BlockerYou are also the Roleblocker. Each night, you may block another player.

Mafia SpyYou are also the Spy. Each night, you may investigate another player. You will learn that player's role type each night (T/C/D/V/M/B). If there is a Serial Killer in the Game, the SK will choose how he wants to appear to your investigation, and will be notified if investigated.

Serial KillerYou are the Serial Killer. Each night, you may choose another player to kill.

You also have the following extra abilities, based on the setup:

[SK ABILITIES GO HERE]

TownieYou are a Townie. You have no night abilities.

CopYou are a Cop. Each night, you may choose another player to investigate. You will be told whether they are "guilty" or "innocent". Remember that you may be either Sane or Insane, and that there may be Millers and/or a Godfather, so your results may not be accurate. Your sanity will not be revealed on death.

DoctorYou are a Doctor. Each night, you may choose another player to protect from one kill.

VigilanteYou are a Vigilante. Each night, you may choose another player to kill. Your kill is indistinguishible from other kills.

One-Shot VigilanteYou are a one-shot Vigilante. Once during the game, at night, you may choose another player to kill. Your kill is indistinguishible from other kills.

MasonYou are a Mason with [PARTNER OR PARTNERS GO HERE]. Each night, you may communicate with your partner, who you know to be innocent.

BlockerYou are a Roleblocker. Each night, you may choose another player. Each night, you may block another player.
Last edited by mith on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”