mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Mini 521 (SMSM, Ended)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:52 am

Post by mith »

It is Subgame 2. Deadline for Day 2 is 1/7.

Links:

Rules, Players

Pre-Game: Trapped in the Basement Part 1, Part 2
Sub-Game 1: C9++, Postal Scam (D1)
Voting Phase 1
Sub-Game 2: C9+2+Pie
Last edited by mith on Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:29 am, edited 26 times in total.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:38 am

Post by mith »

Rules:

The basic idea

A bunch of open/semi-open Mafia games within a "Meta" Mafia game.

How it works

Each player is assigned a metarole - either Mafia or Townie. The setup for the metagame is 3 Mafia and 9 Townies. The metagame alternates between two phases: a subgame, and a voting phase.

During each subgame, all living metaplayers will be assigned a subrole (a role within the subgame). The subgame will then be run as normal, with quick deadlines (one week maximum).

At the conclusion of the subgame, the voting phase commences. Players will have 72 hours to discuss in the thread, while submitting a vote in private, condorcet style (with tiebreakers: Smith/IRV), among the losers of the subgame. At the conclusion of the voting phase, the voting lists will be revealed, and one or two players will be eliminated from the metagame based on the results of the condorcet submissions.

During the first two voting phases, the metamafia will also have the opportunity to kill one player from among all living players (not just the losers of the subgame).

The subgames will be:

12 Players - C9++ (Two eliminations, plus one Mafia kill)
9 Players - C9+2 with a slice of Pie (One elimination, plus one Mafia kill)
7 Players - Double Cop (One elimination)
6 Players - Crush Nightless (One elimination)
5 Players - Vengeful (One elimination)

Once we are down to four players, if neither side has won (that is, if there is exactly one metamafia member remaining), the metagame will continue as a nightless game with ordinary voting and no subgames.

Participation

All players are expected to post
game-relevant
posts at least daily on average. The occasional off day is excepted and acceptable, but lurking and flaking will result in prods and replacement as the moderator sees fit.

If something unexpected comes up in the middle of the game, notify the moderator ASAP.

Post Content

Voting and Unvoting should be posted in bold at the bottom of the post. Unambiguous misspellings will be counted as if they were correct.

Do not quote communications with the moderator. Role PMs will be public, so quoting them is acceptable (though unnecessary).

Questions should not be directed to the moderator in the thread. If you have any question about the game, ask it by PM. If it is something that everyone needs to be aware of, the mod will make a public announcement.

Timing

Days in each subgame will last a maximum of one week. If no one reaches a majority in that time, no one will be lynched.

Nights will last a minimum of 24 hours and a maximum of 48 hours. Choices not received before the deadline will be lost. Players are encouraged to send choices early, where possible.

The voting phase of the metagame will last 72 hours.

General Rules

1. Have fun, and don't be a jerk.
2. Read all the rules carefully and make sure you will be able to follow them. Unexpected things do come up, and in that case, let the moderator know as soon as possible so a replacement can be found, but if you just flake, expect to be barred from future mith games for a while.
3. No editing or deleting your posts.
4. No invisible text; no extraneous formatting tags.
5. When you're dead, you're dead. No posting in the game thread until the game is over, unless you role specifies otherwise. This includes "Bah!" posts.
6. No talking outside the thread, unless your role explicitly allows it.
7. No talking in the thread at night, even if the mod forgets to close it.
8. The moderator is always right, even when he isn't. Accept the moderator's decisions, and if you want to discuss them, take it to private messages, or do so after the game has finished.

Sample Role PMs for the Metagame

MafiaYou are in the Meta Mafia with XXXX and XXXX.

The thread will be open until the start of the first subgame; during this time, you may also communicate with your partners privately. Once the first subgame starts, you may not communicate with them.

During metagame voting phases, you will submit an ordered list of the losers of the previous subgame, from the player you would most like to see eliminated, to the player you would least like to see eliminated. You may communicate with your partners during this phase. During the first two metagame voting phases, you will also have a group kill.

Please confirm by posting in the thread or replying to this PM.

TownieYou are a Meta Townie.

The thread will be open until the start of the first subgame for discussion.

During metagame voting phases, you will submit an ordered list of the losers of the previous subgame, from the player you would most like to see eliminated, to the player you would least like to see eliminated.

Please confirm by posting in the thread or replying to this PM.
Last edited by mith on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:41 am

Post by mith »

Players:

Meta-Alive (9)

Adele
Fiasco
kabenon007
mikeburnfire/WaterboyWaldo
ryan
Sarcastro
SomeStrangeSimenon
Something Awesome, replacing Sammich SG2
Xdaamno

Meta-Dead (3)

DrippingGoofball, replacing Thorned Rose VP1, Bapa Bail SG1 (Townie) - killed Voting Phase 1.
Max (Townie) - lynched Voting Phase 1.
PookyTheMagicalBear (Townie) - lynched Voting Phase 1.

Subgame 2: C9+2+Pie

Alive (7)

Adele
kabenon007
mikeburnfire/WaterboyWaldo
ryan
Something Awesome, replacing Sammich
SomeStrangeSimenon
Xdaamno

Dead (2)

Sarcastro (Townie) - killed Night 1.
Fiasco (Mafia Roleblocker) - lynched Day 1.

Subgame 1: C9++

DrippingGoofball (Mafia Roleblocker)
SomeStrangeSimenon (Mafia Goon)
WaterboyWaldo (Mafia Godfather)

Adele (Townie) - endgamed.
Max (Doctor) - endgamed.
ryan (Roleblocker) - endgamed.
PookyTheMagicalBear (Townie) - lynched Day 4.
kabenon007 (Doctor) - killed Night 4.
Sammich (Townie) - lynched Day 3.
Xdaamno (Townie) - killed Night 3.
Fiasco (Townie) - lynched Day 2.
Sarcastro (Townie) - killed Night 1.
Last edited by mith on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 12 times in total.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:14 am

Post by mith »

Trapped in the Basement, Part 1

The year is 2011, and mafiascum's number 1 poster, "Kenny", has decided he is finally able to host a meetup. He posts a thread on mafiascum, inviting everyone to come to his home and party.

Some of the meetup regulars can't make it this year: mith is still serving his prison sentence from the attempted Minion Revolution of 2009, Talitha's duties to the citizens of New Zealand outweigh her desire to play games, as she leads her people in their conquest of the eastern hemisphere - and MeMe is working full-time managing the eight Mini Queues and moderating 37 Newbie games. Pooky is coming, however, along with an eclectic collection of meetup virgins.

The first several hours of the meetup go fantastically. Games are played, fun is had by all, and the users gradually get more comfortable with one another. Seeing that the party needs more caffeine, Kenny heads down to the basement for some drinks.

Several more hours pass, and the guests are so absorbed in their gaming that they fail to notice that Kenny hasn't returned. Finally, with caffeine levels running dangerously low, someone gets up to look for a drink.

"Hey, we're out of cokes... wait, wasn't Kenny getting some?"

"Yeah. Where is Kenny, anyway?"

"He went down to the basement hours ago. Has anyone seen him?"

The mysterious disappearance momentarily distracts the players, and several of them get up to go search for Kenny. They walk down the basement stairs. It is dark, and the stairs creak ominously. One of the guests feels around for a light switch. Finally finding it, he flips the switch and gasps in horror.

"Oh my God, they killed Kenny!"

"You bastards! Erm... sorry, it had to be said, that was in poor taste, wasn't it..."

The other guests run down to the basement at the commotion. Soon all 12 are gathered, shocked at the brutal murder of their host.

Deciding there is nothing much to be done but call the authorities, the guests head back up the stairs to find a phone, but before they can exit the basement, a gust of wind slams the door shut. Try as they might, the guests can't open the door again.

"Well, it looks like we're stuck. What should we do now?"

It is now Pre-Game. Metaroles will be sent shortly. You may discuss in this thread until the first subgame starts, in approximately 24 hours.
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: Cannot be disclosed, as it would jeapordize my mission
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:53 am

Post by kabenon007 »

Not only is it in poor taste to say "You bastards!" but it is also in poor taste to kill Kenny! You bastards...

So, am I to assume that subgames will take place here or in another thread...? I've never played with most of you before, I see that there are some veterans I've always wanted to play with... good luck to everyone. Except scum... *curse*
I put the "laughter" in manslaughter.
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:24 am

Post by Xdaamno »

/Confirmafragilisticexpialidocious
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

Post by Fiasco »

Madness? This is SPEED META!

There, now the rest will look profound in comparison. So that was for your own good.

Let's discuss metagame strategy. (He said, without discussing metagame strategy.)
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:41 am

Post by ryan »

And a good day to you fine sir
[i]Please remove your head from your ass before you vote.[/i]
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:47 am

Post by Adele »

whoa

this is goin' be
gooood

metagame strategy? you mean, like, townies falling on their swords in a minigame to ensure that a highly-suspected minigame townie probable metagame scum is up for the cordocet? That seems like something we can better do a bit later than now... you know, once we know who we want to meta-lynch
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 am

Post by Fiasco »

Perhaps, but if there's any discussion that needs to be uncontaminated by subgame alignments, we should probably start it now. 72 hours isn't much.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:01 am

Post by Max »

/in (I meant confirm)
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:44 am

Post by kabenon007 »

and in my overzealousness and excitement over being first to post (I never have been first! 8-) ) I forgot to confirm... I figured it would be auto confirm just for the fact that I am now here and posting sarcasm, but just to be safe... /confirm
There... happy?
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:47 am

Post by kabenon007 »

But should subgame alignments have any bearing at all on our views on the meta game? I mean, we can't blame a metatownie for being scum in a subgame, can we?
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:52 am

Post by Adele »

The trick is to figure out what tactics the scum might want to use - and punish these tactics (BOCWATT).

after all, if the minigames were nor tactically relevant, a mod as wise and fantastic as mith (/crawl, yet true) wouldn't have bothered including them.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:58 am

Post by Max »

The only set-up I don't understand is C++
How does it work someone please explain
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:36 am

Post by Xdaamno »

Adele wrote:The trick is to figure out what tactics the scum might want to use - and punish these tactics (BOCWATT).

after all, if the minigames were nor tactically relevant, a mod as wise and fantastic as mith (/crawl, yet true) wouldn't have bothered including them.
BOCWATT? What's that?
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:46 am

Post by Adele »

"But Of Course, Wifom Applies To This"
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:19 am

Post by kabenon007 »

But what tactics could scum use within the subgames to affect the course of the meta game? Ah... wait. I see something. A scum could possibly see who is attacking or is who is a dangerous townie to them in the metagame and then possibly sacrifice themselves in a subgame so that the dangerous townie is then on the lynch block. Townies can then, of course affect the course of a subgame so that a potential scum is able to be lynched. Because only the losing side of a subgame is eligible for voting, correct?
Sarcastro
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastric

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:32 am

Post by Sarcastro »

To be honest, I'm not planning on thinking too much about this stuff until at least after the first subgame. For now, I'm just interested in playing the subgame and thinking about what the mafia would do in it later.
[color=darkblue]If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.[/color]
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:46 am

Post by Xdaamno »

kabenon007 wrote:But what tactics could scum use within the subgames to affect the course of the meta game? Ah... wait. I see something. A scum could possibly see who is attacking or is who is a dangerous townie to them in the metagame and then possibly sacrifice themselves in a subgame so that the dangerous townie is then on the lynch block. Townies can then, of course affect the course of a subgame so that a potential scum is able to be lynched. Because only the losing side of a subgame is eligible for voting, correct?
Ah... wait. I see something in my magical crystal ball... Kidding :P

How would the scum go about sacrificing themselves for this? And then how would we as a result be able to lynch that player? :?
Adele wrote:"But Of Course, Wifom Applies To This"
Hah, I've not heard that before.
Sarcastro wrote:To be honest, I'm not planning on thinking too much about this stuff until at least after the first subgame. For now, I'm just interested in playing the subgame and thinking about what the mafia would do in it later.
Any particular reason?
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:52 am

Post by Fiasco »

Max: in C9++, basically what happens is you generate a town with some random power roles and then match it to a set of scum that's about equally strong. It may be worth looking at the examples.
Sarcastro
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastric

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:05 am

Post by Sarcastro »

Xdaamno wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:To be honest, I'm not planning on thinking too much about this stuff until at least after the first subgame. For now, I'm just interested in playing the subgame and thinking about what the mafia would do in it later.
Any particular reason?
Well, a combination of laziness and the fact that I don't think it'll be very easy to anticipate what the scumtells for a game like this will be. I also question the wisdom in telling the scum in advance what we expect them to do (this doesn't apply to everything, of course, but it's still a concern).

Also, you're scum.
[color=darkblue]If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.[/color]
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:07 am

Post by Fiasco »

As I see it, Mafia works with any day game, as long as:
  • some people die in it
  • who these people are depends on choices that everyone can see
Usually, the day game is voting. Here, the day game is Mafia itself.

A metatownie who is subscum knows at least one of the subscum is a metatownie. That gives him an incentive to play for a subscum win. A metatownie who is subtown knows at least one of the subtown is a metatownie. That gives him an incentive to play for a subtown win.

Until we develop metagame suspicions, we should play just as if we were playing a typical mafia game.

Discuss: should any N0 choices in the first subgame depend on pregame behavior?
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:17 am

Post by Fiasco »

In case anyone missed it like me, we have about 18 hours left before the first subgame.
Sammich
Sammich
Goon
Sammich
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:29 am

Post by Sammich »

/confirm
As if I hadn't done it enough. =D
Coming sometime: [i]Kirby Mafia[/i]
Back, yep