What element are you?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

What element are you?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:54 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

This was an interesting thread out of the SA embassy thread in GD, but has much more relevance to Mafia:
Xythar wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:So how does Mafia-play determine your element? Sort of Fire = likes to lynch quickly, Air are talkers...?
In all honesty it's something we cooked up like, a day ago on IRC (so it's not exactly serious, to say the least). We drew up a political-spectrum-like chart ranking everyone on a scale of serious to not serious (the X axis) and calm to emotional (the Y axis).

Serious & Emotional = fire (red), Serious & Calm = earth (green), Not Serious & Emotional = air (yellow? the only air player who's come here so far is Ecco and s/he hasn't used a colour yet), Not Serious & Calm = water (blue).

I guess you can be heart if you're directly in the middle like Mills is.

Air is the rarest one since usually people who aren't serious by definition don't really get emotional about it. It's a tricky one to pull off.
Full thread is here: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... &start=119

There's already been some theories about how different scummers would fall into this scale. There's also some "variants" like mud (water+earth, or mostly just plain calm) and steam.

I'm pretty sure I'd be
Earth
, although lately I've had tendencies toward emotional play. What would Earth+Fire be??
Retired as of October 2014.
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:57 am

Post by Xythar »

Mr. Flay wrote: What would Earth+Fire be??
Lava
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:58 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Oh, right. Para-Elemental Planes FTW!

(sorry, I'm getting ready for my next D&D session this week)
TheNinthLayer
TheNinthLayer
Townie
TheNinthLayer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:58 am

Post by TheNinthLayer »

How do you know if you're Water?

Ask yourself, "Have I ever fucked up a mafia game for cheap laughs or otherwise goofed around when I shouldn't have because it was funny?"

If the answer is yes, you are definitely water.
Last edited by TheNinthLayer on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue][b]WATER[/b][/color]
Aisar
Aisar
Townie
Aisar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:01 am

Post by Aisar »

How do you know if you're Earth?

Ask yourself, "Have I ever been in a game where somebody fucked it up for cheap laughs or otherwise goofed around when they shouldn't have because it was funny? And if so, was I pretty chillax about it and had a laugh?"

If the answer was yes to both questions, you are definitely earth.

Show
[color=green]Earth

Member of Team chillax, Fellow brosefs (and Sisef) of the chill: Tuckfard, Braki, Golden Zucchini, Kloaked, Wuntvor,[/color] [color=blue] and Alasdair[/color]

PM me if you wish to be added to the list
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:04 am

Post by gorckat »

I'm a little goofy, though I restrain myself in games. I back out before posting off the wall all the time. Most games here do come with a long-term commitment, so I'm not about to screw someone else's enjoyment.

I sometimes get emotional, but most of the time stay cool.

So, a little Water, a little Fire and mostly Earth?
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:05 am

Post by Adele »

TheNinthLayer wrote:How do you know if you're Water?

Ask yourself, "Have I ever
fucked up a mafia game for cheap laughs
or otherwise goofed around when I shouldn't have because it was funny?"

And I doubt you'd be welcome here. There are times to piss about, but (partly because we play long, slow games and so we feel invested in each one) to muck up a game is disrespecting and misusing fellow players.

One player messed up two games here - according to him, the first was not his fault and the second was idiotic but not meant maliciously. He feels bad about it. Nevertheless, he's banned from the forum. That speaks to what we think of the game here. Make fun of
people
all you want (but don't be offensive), but hold at least a minimum respect for the game.
TheNinthLayer
TheNinthLayer
Townie
TheNinthLayer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:08 am

Post by TheNinthLayer »

This thread isn't about high horses or ivory towers it's about elements, keep it on topic thanks.
Aisar
Aisar
Townie
Aisar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:09 am

Post by Aisar »

Adele wrote:

And I doubt you'd be welcome here. There are times to piss about, but (partly because we play long, slow games and so we feel invested in each one) to muck up a game is disrespecting and misusing fellow players.

One player messed up two games here - according to him, the first was not his fault and the second was idiotic but not meant maliciously. He feels bad about it. Nevertheless, he's banned from the forum. That speaks to what we think of the game here. Make fun of
people
all you want (but don't be offensive), but hold at least a minimum respect for the game.
I don't think you understand (SURPRISE). Alasdair played a game on here where he was scum with one other person. He claimed cop on day 1, and furthermore that he got a night 0 investigation of his scumbuddy which said he was scum.

Of course, Alasdair "forgot" that in the OP is said clearly that there were no night 0 actions. They lynched Alasdair, and absolutely ignored his scumbuddy. His scumbuddy flew under the radar for the whole damn game because of that.

That is pure Water play. And it's pretty awesome.
Show
[color=green]Earth

Member of Team chillax, Fellow brosefs (and Sisef) of the chill: Tuckfard, Braki, Golden Zucchini, Kloaked, Wuntvor,[/color] [color=blue] and Alasdair[/color]

The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:09 am

Post by The Fonz »

Fire. Easily.
TheNinthLayer
TheNinthLayer
Townie
TheNinthLayer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:09 am

Post by TheNinthLayer »

gorckat wrote:I'm a little goofy, though I restrain myself in games. I back out before posting off the wall all the time. Most games here do come with a long-term commitment, so I'm not about to screw someone else's enjoyment.

There are different degrees of Water.

There's "eh Mafia is just a game" all the way to "lol let's play a Mafia game where all our content posts are in other people's games."
Ecco de Facto
Ecco de Facto
Watcher
Ecco de Facto
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:09 am

Post by Ecco de Facto »

Er, to mess up a game doesn't mean to break the game, or break the rules; to mess it up is to do something like lie as a townie, or give yourself a secondary win-condition that goes alongside your primary one (like, if you are town, having player X lynched by Day 4 regardless of alignment or something).

Not maliciously destroy a game, just be a jerk about it.
^--- This is an important post; read it and weep, scum and/or town and/or third party!

[color=purple]Team Air is objectively the "best" team, but we don't brag about it, since the other Teams know their respective places[/color]
Thin_Man
Thin_Man
Goon
Thin_Man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:11 am

Post by Thin_Man »

TheNinthLayer wrote:
gorckat wrote:I'm a little goofy, though I restrain myself in games. I back out before posting off the wall all the time. Most games here do come with a long-term commitment, so I'm not about to screw someone else's enjoyment.

There's "eh Mafia is just a game" all the way to "lol let's play a Mafia game where all our content posts are in other people's games."
Most of the 'mafia is just a game' players I know use it as an excuse for the fact they are shitty at it.
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:12 am

Post by Xythar »

Adele wrote:

people
I was in the Harry Potter game at SA where the general sequence of events went like this:

1. Alasdair decides to lie and say he investigated me night 0 and got a guilty result (this was apparently because he was Snape and he thought I had softclaimed Dumbledore and you know the rest).

2. Due to this, we end up lynching the player who claimed bus driver and said that he had switched me with someone else who was obviously town. Although I was against this of course.

3. Alasdair decides to then vig kill me overnight for some reason

4. The other guy who I was swapped with in the bus driving gets vigged by another player who believed Alasdair's investigation result and arrived at the only possible conclusion

5. because he ended up vigging town, the vig involved in 4) gets lynched as well.

total townie death toll was about 4-5 depending on how you look at it.

It was kind of annoying at the time but I guess we mostly got over it. Mostly. Earth and water didn't really care that much and fire was kinda pissed off to say the least, but the past is the past and I hate holding grudges.

Anyway, that's
extreme
water. You can still be water and play the game properly if you just try and have a bit of fun on the way. DGB might be a good example of a less extreme water player I think?
Last edited by Xythar on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheNinthLayer
TheNinthLayer
Townie
TheNinthLayer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:12 am

Post by TheNinthLayer »

Thin_Man wrote:
TheNinthLayer wrote:

Most of the 'mafia is just a game' players I know use it as an excuse for the fact they are shitty at it.
I thought all the "good" Mafia players kept stats to back up their trash talking, where are yours.
Mexal
Mexal
Goon
Mexal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:15 am

Post by Mexal »

I'm mostly earth. I'm serious but I stay calm when it comes to the game. If someone is being a jackass though and tries to screw the game, I will get pissed.
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:15 am

Post by Xythar »

Aisar wrote: I don't think you understand (SURPRISE). Alasdair played a game on here where he was scum with one other person. He claimed cop on day 1, and furthermore that he got a night 0 investigation of his scumbuddy which said he was scum.

Of course, Alasdair "forgot" that in the OP is said clearly that there were no night 0 actions. They lynched Alasdair, and absolutely ignored his scumbuddy. His scumbuddy flew under the radar for the whole damn game because of that.

Actually this is a good example. Here's the game, for reference:

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=574960

A lot of people referred to Alasdair's play as a "slipup" when it was completely intentional. Reckless, yes, but it worked pretty well :) That one's classic Water.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:17 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Aisar wrote:Alasdair played a game on here where he was scum with one other person. He claimed cop on day 1, and furthermore that he got a night 0 investigation of his scumbuddy which said he was scum.

Which "here" are you talking about, MS or SA? If it's here on MafiaScum, please link to the game, I want to see how this worked... that's pretty awesome if true.
Nevermind, Xythar simulposted with me. That's pretty clever, even if it was a Newbie Game.
Last edited by Mr. Flay on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:18 am

Post by Xythar »

I linked to it just above

The funny thing is that on SA we're all so used to Alasdair pulling that tactic that it never works anymore. Except on the n00bs.
Last edited by Xythar on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aisar
Aisar
Townie
Aisar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:18 am

Post by Aisar »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Aisar wrote:Alasdair played a game on here where he was scum with one other person. He claimed cop on day 1, and furthermore that he got a night 0 investigation of his scumbuddy which said he was scum.

Which "here" are you talking about, MS or SA? If it's here on MafiaScum, please link to the game, I want to see how this worked... that's pretty awesome if true.
Xythar linked it right above.
Show
[color=green]Earth

Ecco de Facto
Ecco de Facto
Watcher
Ecco de Facto
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:22 am

Post by Ecco de Facto »

Well everyone, let us remember that this isn't about skill, it's about playstyle; someone can be Water and be a very good player, for instance. It's just how one views a game when going into it, and how one interacts with the game as a whole.

So I guess I'll join in:

How do you know if you're Air?

Ask yourself, "Do I tend to wear my emotions on my sleeve? Do I play a game just to play around and have fun, and then go from happy to angry to sad and back to happy at the turn of a post?"

If the answer was yes to both questions, you are definitely air.
Last edited by Ecco de Facto on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup
Watcher
Tomato Soup
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:24 am

Post by Tomato Soup »

Ecco just post in purple so I can actually read that shit :(
[color=green][b]EARTH[/b][/color]
Aisar
Aisar
Townie
Aisar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:27 am

Post by Aisar »

Xythar wrote:
I linked to it just above

The funny thing is that on SA we're all so used to Alasdair pulling that tactic that it never works anymore. Except on the n00bs.
Yah, it works differently on SA. We know he's fucking with us, so he reverse fucks with us. He can pretty much help seal a lynch against a townie if he does something like claims that townie is his scumbuddy during twilight.
Show
[color=green]Earth

Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:27 am

Post by Fiasco »

Guess I'm an Earth.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Ecco de Facto
Ecco de Facto
Watcher
Ecco de Facto
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:31 am

Post by Ecco de Facto »

See, the problem with the classifications is that Earth has the more appealing traits: calm and serious, in a Mafia game, is universally a sign of a good player, someone who is deliberate, thoughtful, and therefore wise and experienced. It's why there are so many players on our map thing concentrated down by Earth; anyone who thinks highly of themselves pushed to be in Earth, unless it is patently obvious they belong in Water or Fire.

vOv I dunno, I just find the whole thing tacky.
^--- This is an important post; read it and weep, scum and/or town and/or third party!

[color=purple]Team Air is objectively the "best" team, but we don't brag about it, since the other Teams know their respective places[/color]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”