Newbie Game #489 - Murder in Smallburg (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Newbie Game #489 - Murder in Smallburg (Game Over!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:03 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Good people are being brutally murdered in Smallburg (home of small, defenseless newbies), and it's up to the seven of you to figure out whodunnit.

Players:
  • Alive:

• desolator
    Selande,
    Townie

• Boggzie
    Wolfbullet,
    Cop

Dead:

• mcpaltp,
    Townie
    , was lynched Day One.
  • sk407
    Flameaxe,
    Townie
    , was killed Night One.
  • zazq
    Franzie,
    Mafia
    , was lynched Day Two.
  • NabakovNabakov,
    Townie
    , was killed Night Two.
  • coxy52k
    martini,
    Mafia
    , was lynched Day Three.
It is now Day Three; with three alive, just two votes will be needed to lynch.
Last edited by Mr. Flay on Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:31 am, edited 17 times in total.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:04 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Of course, this would all be a lot easier if you weren't so sure that some of you haddunit. Two of you, in fact, though you're not sure who else is what. Here's the possibilities:

2 people are
Mafia:
The Mod wrote:You are , along with your partner _________. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only you remain; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). You may talk with your partner when it is not Day, and send me a choice via PM of who you wish to kill.

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no kills will happen until Night One.
Either 1 person, or nobody, is a
Doctor:
The Mod wrote:You are the , and you can protect people from harm. Each Night, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the Mafia, they will live. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and try to lynch correctly during the Day.

Note: Doctors are 100% effective in Newbie Games (the person they protect will never die on the night they are protected). You may not protect yourself.
Either 1 person, or nobody, is a
Cop:
The Mod wrote:You are the , and you can tell good from bad. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day.

Note: Cops always get a correct result in Newbie Games (no sanity issues). You cannot investigate yourself.
The rest of you (3, 4, or 5, for those keeping count) are
Townies:
The Mod wrote:You are a , and you've got no special powers at Night. No investigations, no protection, no gun to shoot people. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Help lynch Mafia during the Day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.
This is commonly known as the setup, for reasons mostly known to Norinel.

Even though many games start with Night, newbie games begin with Day once everyone has confirmed that they understand their role. Scum are allowed to talk by PM in the pre-game stage, but no other "night actions" may be taken.

Rules:
  • Votes should be in bold for them to count, like this:
    Vote: Peter
    . Unvotes should likewise be bolded (
    Unvote: Paul
    ) so that I can spot them easier.
  • A simple majority of votes (1/2 the number of living players plus one, rounded down) will achieve a lynch and end the Day. Unvoting after that point will not save someone's life. If a deadline is imposed, the required number of votes may be lowered, so be careful.
  • Nights will last up to 72 hours, but may be shorter if all night choices are in before the deadline.
  • Dead men tell no tales. If you get killed, stop talking until the game is over (a single "Bah!' post with no game information is acceptable).
  • Do not discuss this game with other players outside of this thread, unless your role PM specifically stated you could do so (as scum, and then only at night).
  • Do not directly quote any PMs you receive from me; I have already posted the roles above, but this holds true for any future messages you receive from me as well.
  • If you see something you don't understand,
    ASK!
    Newbie games are here for people to learn and understand; either I or one of the other players will respond to your question. If it has to do with your role, feel free to PM me directly.
  • Treat this game as a commitment; if you're going to be gone for longer than 48 hours (not counting weekends),
    let us know
    . I will replace severely inactive players, but your fellow players may choose to lynch you themselves first.
  • Have fun; don't be an ass;
    participate
    !
Boggzie
Boggzie
Goon
Boggzie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:11 am

Post by Boggzie »

confirmed
Go Tribe!
sk407
sk407
Townie
sk407
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:17 am

Post by sk407 »

Confirm!
Wow, the 5555th member, lol. If that's not luck of the draw, I don't know what is.
Just so we're not confused here, my SK actually stands for Simpsons King. It does NOT stand for Serial Killer, lol. Although, it could be both at times...
zazq
zazq
Goon
zazq
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:43 am

Post by zazq »

Confirm
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:16 am

Post by NabakovNabakov »

/confirm
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
desolator
desolator
Townie
desolator
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:27 am

Post by desolator »

Confirmed!
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
coxy52k
coxy52k
Townie
coxy52k
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:26 am

Post by coxy52k »

confirm
coxy52k
coxy52k
Townie
coxy52k
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:28 am

Post by coxy52k »

Just one thing i am going to be away for 24hrs from now (i didn't expect to get a game so quick but thank you!) but after that there will be no problems!
mcpaltp
mcpaltp
Goon
mcpaltp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:50 am

Post by mcpaltp »

/confirm
mcpaltp
mcpaltp
Goon
mcpaltp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:52 am

Post by mcpaltp »

That's what I get for only checking daily. Sorry for the delay.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:51 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

No worries.

It is now Day One; with seven alive, four votes will be enough to lynch.
zazq
zazq
Goon
zazq
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:54 am

Post by zazq »

Well bam!

Hi I'm zazq! this be my 4th game, so i'm only quazi new now.

Boggzie is scum because his is the only name that is capitalized! Capitalization nazis = scum!
Vote: Boggzie!

ps> Is you name pronounced like the Boogy Monster or like the Bog Monster?
mcpaltp
mcpaltp
Goon
mcpaltp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:05 am

Post by mcpaltp »

lynch all jokevoters.

Vote:zazq

And how are we supposed to pronounce your name, hmmm?
zazq
zazq
Goon
zazq
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:30 am

Post by zazq »

I picked it for the orientation of the keys on the keyboard. I pronounce it Zahz-que.
Boggzie
Boggzie
Goon
Boggzie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:59 am

Post by Boggzie »

Bog Monster - last name is Boggs, got the nick' in HS.

Jokesters are troubling. :)

This is where I should do the whole OMGUS vote, but to buck the trend -

Vote: mcpaltp
for buddying really quick, and having a handle that doesn't even
look
like it's a real name.

:)
Go Tribe!
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:02 am

Post by NabakovNabakov »

zazq wrote: I picked it for the orientation of the keys on the keyboard. I pronounce it Zahz-que.
So does that make you left handed or just really strong in the pinky?

I'm NabakovNabakov (NabNab, N-N, or The Russian) and I'll be your singluar IC (Inexperience Challenged) player for this game.

Three things I don't want to catch anybody doing:

1) Dissing on Random Votes. We need some way to start the game, and MafiaScum mods are not in the habit of handing out clues. It's actually amazing how 50 page threads can spin off of (supposedly) random actions.

2) Voting No Lynch. There are some times where a No Lynch vote is helpful for the town, but that time is not now and likely won't come in such a small game. All a No Lynch on D1 nets us is one NK'd townie, zero discussion, and the
possibility
of a Cop investigation (but certainly not a guarantee)
3) Placing votes in a stupid manner. I know, this kind of contradicts with 1, but hear me out. Random votes are fine, but placing players in danger of being lynched before people can discuss matters is not. Be wary of L-1 (1 vote until lynch) and especially wary of LyLo (Lynch or Lose) when a single mis-vote can lead to the single mislynch the scum need to win.

In a standard game, these things are considered quite scummy.* If you do any of them (especially after I have warned you) expect to get called out on it. Beyond that, there are no hard and fast rules.

And I won't be toning down my jargon for this game. If anybody needs a tutorial on:

WIFOM
OMGUS
Basic Scumtells
Wagon Analysis
Claiming
...anything else

Just give me a holler.

Vote: sk407
SK = Serial Killer! OMG!

*Scum: The all purpose slang term for Mafia and other anti-town roles. If somebody is in the Mafia, they are scum. If two people are in the Mafia together, they are scumbuddies. If something indicates a player might be Mafia, it's a scumtell. (The list goes on)
Show

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
mcpaltp
mcpaltp
Goon
mcpaltp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:55 am

Post by mcpaltp »

Unvote:zazq

OMG! you ought to know better Nabakov-Squared. There is no serial killer in this game! This shows that you are just trying to confuse us newbies. Coupled with your good taste in signatures and avatar, I'd call this a clear scumtell.

Vote:Nabakov-Nabakov

Don't think I've forgotten you either, zazq! *glares* I see what you've been doing there.
sk407
sk407
Townie
sk407
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:27 pm

Post by sk407 »

Somehow, I knew that picking this name would be a problem, lol.

BTW, Nabakov x2, what is WIFOM? That is the only thing that I can't seem to figure out.

And I'll just go ahead and
Random Vote: desolator
Wow, the 5555th member, lol. If that's not luck of the draw, I don't know what is.
Just so we're not confused here, my SK actually stands for Simpsons King. It does NOT stand for Serial Killer, lol. Although, it could be both at times...
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

WIFOM stands for "Wine in Front of Me"

The Wiki article can be found here. It explains the concept well enough, but it pays almost no attention to how it should and shouldn't be used in a game situation.

Essentially, WIFOM is drawn from The Princess Bride. If you've ever seen it, it's the scene where Vazini is forced to choose between two wine glasses and he is told that one is poisoned. The type of logic he uses in that scene ("You are a strong man, so you will not fear death and put the poison your own cup! But you are also a smart man and you knew I would know you are a strong man, so you must have put the poison in my cup!") is circular and useless.

An essential element of Mafia is deception. During the day, the scum will try to blend in with the town, and during the night, the scum will try to confuse and destroy the town.

An argument like "But I'm playing too scummy to really be scum. Real scum would play better!" Is riddled with WIFOM. Maybe real scum would play better. Maybe he's bad scum. Maybe he's really good scum who is tricking us.

Another: "Player B was NK'd. He was really after Player A yesterday. Player B must have been on to something. Let's lynch that A bastard."

Maybe A is scum and B was on his trail. Maybe they're both town and the scum are trying to trick us. WIFOM

WIFOM is basically involved whenever your argument says "Here's what the scum were/are thinking" or "Here's how scum would play." Good scum are aware of all those conventions and might just be trying to trick you.

But here's the interesting thing about WIFOM. It always has to work as a negative. You can never prove anything by shouting "WIFOM!" you can only make an argument worthless. Is this helpful? Sure. It gets rid of all the crap arguments before they can harm the town. But I will caution the overuse of WIFOM. It is a very broad concept, and doesn't have to be applied in all the places where it can be. In this setup with only 7 players. You
could
say that the guy who caught a scum red-handed could be tricking us and "bussing*" his partner. But with only two scum, that's unlikely.

*Bussing: A variation on wagoning where one member of a scum team "catches" another and gets them lynched to get in good with the town or save a hopeless situation.
Show

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
sk407
sk407
Townie
sk407
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:34 pm

Post by sk407 »

Ah, now I see. Thanks a lot! :)
desolator
desolator
Townie
desolator
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:40 pm

Post by desolator »

I actualy wanted to watch the princes bride but couldn't find it, I shall continue to look for it tomarrow!

lets see, random
vote:coxy52k
, the simpson face scares me, and being the second simpson person to confirm.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
coxy52k
coxy52k
Townie
coxy52k
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:22 pm

Post by coxy52k »

aahhh my first vote on these forums how exciting!

like desolator pointed out there is only room for one simpson!
vote sk407
zazq
zazq
Goon
zazq
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:41 am

Post by zazq »

Wow! NabakovNabakov is the most useful IC ever! Explaining things to people? What a concept!

Now that everyone's here, time for the glaring light style questioning!

*points the glary light across the dark room, blinding Boggzie*
Where were you on the night of N0?! Why don't you have a wiki page? And now for a real question. What's up with back stabbing your town in N462? That's totally not cool.

*offers mcpaltp a cigarette*
Is this REALLY your first game? Huh? HUH? You seem quite... With it. Also, have you read the wiki on scumtells? I found it wonderful my first game. "If you think someone's the doc, he's probably scum." Classic. And hay, what's your gender?

*threatens the serial killer with zappy electrodes*
So, sk407... Whats up with being a serial killer in a newbe game?! Are you aware tht you can't possibly exist?!?! Ha, outsmarted you... Anyway, using your ruthless killer sense, who is the scum?

*tosses incrinating photos on the table in front of desolator*
Were you not the Doctor who died On the day of D2 in N430? What, in your oppinion, was your mistake? Also, I know curiouskarmadog, he plays good scum. And what's your gender?

*takes coxy52k's fingerprints* (running out of noir!)
Yet another brand-newbie... Read the wiki also! damn newbies... And what's up with you people with numbers in your names?! It's so annoying...

*glares at NabakovNabakov from the corner of his eye*
You have played many more games then are refrenced on your wiki page. Being our resident IC, I'm glad to see you much more responsible than other ICs I've known. *cough Battlemage and Elias_the_Thief Cough* What do you think your job is, here in this newbie game?

---===Scumdar===---
02% NabakovNabakov
(ICs are always scum!)
01% Boggzie
01% coxy52k
01% desolator
01% mcpaltp
01% sk407
00% zazq

---===---
coxy52k
coxy52k
Townie
coxy52k
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:58 am

Post by coxy52k »

zazq wrote:
*takes coxy52k's fingerprints* (running out of noir!)
Yet another brand-newbie... Read the wiki also! damn newbies... And what's up with you people with numbers in your names?! It's so annoying...
New here but not new to mafia! and my name is just the one i use everywhere i go! :) Hope its not that annoying!

just wondering how things get started here whenever i have played a game there has been a deadline for voting but it seems here day1 could go on for a while is it just until somebody slips up and says something they shouldn't :)

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”