Spam Account...

Obsolete, fixed, and incorrect bug requests and problems. Browse here before posting a new topic, to avoid duplicates.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Spam Account...

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:09 am

Post by somestrangeflea »

Someone is sending me messages trying to convince me to go to another forum, which is abusing the name of MafiaScum. Egads!

Just wanted to see if anyone was getting this pestering PM:
eetmorhyimen wrote:We're hosting a heavily advanced model of the MafiaScum game. The Game Mod has done an excellent job (better than those from this website) on creating new roles and implementing storylines into the game. Come check it out at least and sign up if you like.

[edit: link removed]
Obvspam, but I wanted to check to make sure I wasn't the only one...
eetmorhyimen
eetmorhyimen
Watcher
eetmorhyimen
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:12 am

Post by eetmorhyimen »

It's not spam, lol.

It's an actual website.
eetmorhyimen
eetmorhyimen
Watcher
eetmorhyimen
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:13 am

Post by eetmorhyimen »

And they host actual Mafia events.
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:20 am

Post by Thok »

Mith has a rant about trying to draw mafiascum players to other sites.

Edit: Oh and the FAQ/Basic rules pages in that forum are blatantly plagarised from the mafiascum wiki. Classy.
Last edited by Thok on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
YYCguy
YYCguy
Townie
YYCguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:22 am

Post by YYCguy »

Just because the site exists, and is what it says it is, doesn't mean that you didn't spam SSF. He didn't come here to receive unsolicited invitations to other forums.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:25 am

No offense to you, but I don't want my PM inbox filled with advertisements for what is, IMHO, a mediocre website. I also dislike your "holier than thou" attitude regarding mods. That website has 30 members and 0 completed games, so you have absolutely no right to claim that your mod has done a job "better that those from this website".

However, I'm going to take this as an opportunity. You haven't actually played any games here, and I think you should, considering you've actually took the time to register and all! You'll see why MS is the best! =D

Welcome, if you do decide to stay!
Last edited by somestrangeflea on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
blahgo
blahgo
Goon
blahgo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:28 am

Post by blahgo »

Must resist urge to bet on him saying " NO U".

But, seriously you shouldn't send random
PM's to people.
DJDonegal1986 (8:16:20 PM): though I AM a little furry...
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:31 am

Hmm...
That guy, on that other website... wrote:I've been straight spamming this site on MafiaScum.net, lol.
But yeah, it's not spam...
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:51 am

Post by ShadowLurker »

The funny part is he's banning everyone from scum that joins.
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
YYCguy
YYCguy
Townie
YYCguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:00 pm

Post by YYCguy »

Ooooh ... they've copied and pasted their newbie information straight from MS's wiki, as well. Classy.
eetmorhyimen
eetmorhyimen
Watcher
eetmorhyimen
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:17 pm

Post by eetmorhyimen »

Fine, I'll stick around and play some games here, to take SSF up on their offer.
eetmorhyimen
eetmorhyimen
Watcher
eetmorhyimen
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:29 pm

Post by eetmorhyimen »

e e t mor HYiMEN (7:18:39 PM): Okay, in all seriousness, my apologies.
e e t mor HYiMEN (7:18:47 PM): Not only to you, but to all of MS.
CaffieneDeity (7:19:01 PM): Thank you.
e e t mor HYiMEN (7:18:57 PM): In fact, I ask you to copy and paste this on the MS website itself.
CaffieneDeity (7:19:35 PM): Whole conversation, or just where your text color turned black?
e e t mor HYiMEN (7:20:07 PM): I apologize for spamming the website. It was not my intentions to poach people from MS, but to encourage MS players to try out EWC's Border City game. I did not expect everyone to react the way they did. I had expected everyone to jump all over this because it's an interesting new twist on the game.
e e t mor HYiMEN (7:20:29 PM): lol, I meant, copy and paste my apology.
e e t mor HYiMEN (7:21:45 PM): I know if someone had come over to W316 or EWC (two forums I frequent) and PMed me with a "revolutionized game of Mafia that was developed and organized better from what I was used to"... I would have jumped all over it and joined the game immediately.
e e t mor HYiMEN (7:22:03 PM): Or, I would have at least given the website a chance and taken a read over it.
CaffieneDeity (7:22:28 PM): Clearly, they did read it.
e e t mor HYiMEN (7:22:26 PM): I would NOT have resorted to the childish antics everyone in the ScumChat chose to do.
e e t mor HYiMEN (7:22:50 PM): They didn't even give it a chance. They nitpicked every little thing they could.
e e t mor HYiMEN (7:23:12 PM): I was solely promoting the Border City game, not the website by any means. Hence my direct link to the Border City forum.
CaffieneDeity (7:26:20 PM): It's still a site link, really, and you still sent out advertising PMs to people at random.
e e t mor HYiMEN (7:26:37 PM): Either way, at this point, it's all good if everyone continues to trashtalk or what have you. I understand people got upset over it and thus I'm sorry. Won't bother anyone else with annoying PMs, unless they specifically ask me to.
CaffieneDeity (7:26:56 PM): Good. Thanks.
CaffieneDeity (7:27:15 PM): Should I post now, or is there anything else?
e e t mor HYiMEN (7:28:14 PM): All I ask at this point is this: Can you ask everyone within the chat to NOT join the games in an attempt to corrupt them or the forums by any means? It's not even my website, but it'd be my fault if they tarnished the games/site. I take full responsibility of the spamming and I am a complete different entity from the owner of the site.
CaffieneDeity (7:28:51 PM): I'll ask.
eetmorhyimen
eetmorhyimen
Watcher
eetmorhyimen
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:29 pm

Post by eetmorhyimen »

At this point, if the admin chooses to ban me, I understand. But, I didn't want to leave on bad terms.

Thanks. :)
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:29 pm

Post by jeep »

Did we ever put a license agreement on the wiki? Unlike wikipedia, everything there remains copyright by the author. Maybe mith should contact them to let them know that they are not allowed to copy straight from the wiki.

-JEEP
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:34 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

I want somebody to tell eron that the name of the game isn't "mafiascum." That's just the name of this site.

I can go into more detail if needed

EDIT: The moderator of that game has told me that he didn't realize the game isn't called "Mafiascum" and has expressed dismay at the manner in which it was advertised here.
Last edited by Kelly Chen on Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:42 pm

Post by Thok »

eetmorhyimen wrote:At this point, if the admin chooses to ban me, I understand. But, I didn't want to leave on bad terms.

Thanks. :)
I think we're willing to accept that you made a mistake. That said, you should talk to the admin about the copied pages from the MSWiki, as that is an issue.

Edit: As a slight improvement, they added a disclaimer to the copied pages that credit the material to the wiki. At this point, it's Mith issue to deal with.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:27 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

His name is offensive to me as a women with a disorder which left me without a hymen from an early age. As one such as this, the thought that a hymen should, (A precious commodity.) should be eaten, rather than preserved for future use, is a vulger, and henious one. I demand that this name is changed, as it is disrespectful to my plight!
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:17 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

Thestatusquo wrote: I demand that this name is changed, as it is disrespectful to my plight!
seconded
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:16 pm

Post by jeep »

Actually, it looks like they removed it. Funny how little that person seems to know about copyright... It's like he assumes all wiki/web published articles/etc have been released to the public domain.

And if there were any mafiascum members who were going there intent on causing problems, then consider yourself scolded. It would be a childish thing to do. That behavior shouldn't be tolerated.

-JEEP
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:02 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Well, they have vandalized at least one page of the wiki, found here...This has taken the step from annoying to criminal.

http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php ... oldid=8497
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:11 am

I think they only vandalised a single page.

I do find it amusing that their vandalism was trying to make a point, but failed miserably at it by not making any sense.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:07 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

That's vandalism for you... :P

Anyway, I agree it's probably a one-off rant, and totally unrelated to the commercial spammers. I'm not sure the wiki vandalism is criminal, though it's annoying.

JEEP is correct that we never set up a site copyright license, and it would be very difficult to retroactively enact a Creative Commons or GFDL license. I think it's best if people just retain their basic copyrights as to what they've written, perhaps assigning it over to MafiaScum on their userpage, if they want. But we're very unlikely to end up in a court of law over this... maybe Stoofer can elaborate on our options here.
Retired as of October 2014.
YYCguy
YYCguy
Townie
YYCguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:39 am

Post by YYCguy »

Seems they still don't understand copyright :roll: ..
Due to some members of MafiaScum.net complaining that the info from their Wiki was used as the rules here, I decided to instead of figthing a losing battle of informing a Wiki is free information when placed on the net, and just used the actual wikipidea information.
Maybe they should have instead checked the Wikipedia article on copyright protection ;). Wikipedia's copyrighted, as well. Unless they're planning to comply with the terms of the GFDL (which includes re-releasing under GFDL), they can't copy that verbatim either.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:08 am

Post by mole »

We don't have a copyright agreement? I was looking forward to seeing game transcripts in paperback on sale in airports... :(
blahgo
blahgo
Goon
blahgo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:01 am

Post by blahgo »

If your curious what mafiascum.net is, visit www.mafiascum.net. It is not the BIGGEST mafia game ont he internet, it is just one of THOUSANDS like us. Only difference is their eyes are jaded and they believe they are the only, biggest and best.

Our users have posted a total of 312 articles
We have 42 registered users
The newest registered user is BC
In total there are 3 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]
Most users ever online was 16 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:33 pm
Registered Users: benhalkum
DJDonegal1986 (8:16:20 PM): though I AM a little furry...

Return to “Solved Requests”