Posting in twilight - what is the default rule?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

If the Mod doesn't say anything about it in the rules, is it permissible to post in twilight?

Yes!
84%
No!
16%

Total votes: 56

Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:19 am

Post by Norinel »

Stewie wrote:And how is it obious to them? What if there's a game trigger that makes people need half the votes to be lynched? Or if a person requires an extra vote to get lynched? There are even roles which have extra votes.
Those are all relatively rare occurrences. In my time on this site, I can remember one game I was in that had a vote-affecting role, and it had a very active mod to minimize an unknown twilight.
It makes a lot more sense to allow it altogether, it enhances the game anyways.
How, exactly, does making the end of the day rely on an essentially arbitrary, random factor instead of the choice of the players enhance the game?

Anyway, I think both saying to not post in twilight but making no other changes and making an arbitrary twilight have their disadvantages. Personally, I believe the former's are easier to deal with, but modifying one or the other should make something acceptable to both sides.
Mackay
Mackay
Goon
Mackay
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:53 am

Post by Mackay »

Norinel basically said what I would have. The argument for twilight posting is based on "what if"s when I specifically stated that those are rare occurrences. It is not that hard for the mod to say "twilight posting is allowed" in a game which may have vote restrictions, or merely due to personal preference. I think, however, that the default behaviour should be to not speak once a person is dead.

Stoofer:
Personally, I see nothing wrong with people posting information as the victim is dragged to the lynching tree.
Really?!
- Mackay
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:06 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Yeah...I don't have a problem with that either. The way I've always seen it, everyone is alive until the Mod shows up and says "Person X has been lynched, it is night" and locks up the thread. Hey, every condemmed prisoner is entitled to his last words, right?

In fact, this thread is the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest that people shouldn't post during twilight, unless a mod has a specific rule about it, and most mods don't.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:07 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Yeah...I don't have a problem with that either. The way I've always seen it, everyone is alive until the Mod shows up and says "Person X has been lynched, it is night" and locks up the thread. Hey, every condemmed prisoner is entitled to his last words, right?

In fact, this thread is the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest that people shouldn't post during twilight, unless a mod has a specific rule about it, and most mods don't.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:13 am

Post by Stewie »

Norinel wrote: How, exactly, does making the end of the day rely on an essentially arbitrary, random factor instead of the choice of the players enhance the game?
It's not random. Random implied that the mod would log in randomly throughout the day to check the game. In reality, most people have a routine. I, for example, log in once at 4:00 pm and once at 10:00 pm. Therefore, it's not random, since I would not be able to end the day at 4:00 am. This allows other users with a regular schedule to have their say before the day ends. This is not a bad thing, because it does not hurt the game. Another thing would be saying something like "Ok guys, with 6 votes, norinel is lynched. He was town. I can't really post the lynch scene because I'm in a rush, but feel free to keep posting" because there is new information, thus allowing the town to plan night actions better. As long as no new information is revealed, neither side benefits, therefore it enhances the game because the players have to be smart to use the little time they have to post wisely.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:03 pm

Post by mith »

In reality, most people have a routine.
That's a bit of a broad generalization, don't you think? I certainly don't have a routine, other than that I am likely to not update a game when I am asleep. And even then it's not a sure thing. ;)
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:27 am

Post by Norinel »

Stewie wrote:
Norinel wrote: How, exactly, does making the end of the day rely on an essentially arbitrary, random factor instead of the choice of the players enhance the game?
It's not random. Random implied that the mod would log in randomly throughout the day to check the game. In reality, most people have a routine. I, for example, log in once at 4:00 pm and once at 10:00 pm. Therefore, it's not random, since I would not be able to end the day at 4:00 am. This allows other users with a regular schedule to have their say before the day ends.
In that case, it's merely arbitrary. Still, some players will be able to get on between 4 AM and 4 PM, and some won't, and the fact that it's 4 PM and not 4:05 AM is based on an out-of-game that's outside of the player's control.
This is not a bad thing, because it does not hurt the game. Another thing would be saying something like "Ok guys, with 6 votes, norinel is lynched. He was town. I can't really post the lynch scene because I'm in a rush, but feel free to keep posting" because there is new information, thus allowing the town to plan night actions better. As long as no new information is revealed, neither side benefits, therefore it enhances the game because the players have to be smart to use the little time they have to post wisely.
There
is
new information revealed during twilight: who gets lynched. The lynchee knows any information they don't post will be taken to the grave, and thus has basically no reason not to reveal it. (If you think the lynchee deserves last words, let the players or the rules give him that opportunity, not how everyone's schedules line up.) And some players aren't going to have little time, they will have no time, and which ones will and which ones won't is entirely a consequence of factors that should, IMO, have minimal bearing on the game, if not none whatsoever.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:25 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Norinel wrote:
There
is
new information revealed during twilight: who gets lynched. The lynchee knows any information they don't post will be taken to the grave, and thus has basically no reason not to reveal it. (If you think the lynchee deserves last words, let the players or the rules give him that opportunity, not how everyone's schedules line up.) And some players aren't going to have little time, they will have no time, and which ones will and which ones won't is entirely a consequence of factors that should, IMO, have minimal bearing on the game, if not none whatsoever.

But that argument could go the other way, as well; what if player X would say something before he gets lynched, but can't get on for a few days and when he does get on, he finds out he was lynched?
Mackay
Mackay
Goon
Mackay
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:29 pm

Post by Mackay »

The honour system has been brought up - I do not know many mafia players who lynch a person without giving them a chance to speak up.
- Mackay
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:27 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

I see that this topic was discussed here about a year ago: http://mafiascum.mithmojo.net/forum/vie ... viewresult

The poll was worded in a completely ambiguous way, but the posts show a strong preference in favour of allowing talking during twilight - just as this thread has shown.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:02 am

Post by mith »

I hate when people drag up year old threads, I always worry I'll have completely changed my mind about it and look silly. Looks like I've been consistent on this one though.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:34 am

Post by Norinel »

Yosarian2 wrote: that argument could go the other way, as well; what if player X would say something before he gets lynched, but can't get on for a few days and when he does get on, he finds out he was lynched?
As Mackay said (And I believe mith did as well in the old thread), then it'd be principally the players' fault, and much less so the out-of-game factor. I agree with minimizing the impact of out-of-game factors on actual gameplay, and arbitrary twilight is one of very few ways the mod's schedule can have any impact. Why not drop it?

Edit: And for the record, I doubt I'd have any problem with a twilight of specified duration, (Say, one post by the lynchee or a span of time at least as long as the mod expects everyone to be online) but I've never seen it in practice.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:33 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I don't think "a span of time at least as long as the mod expects everyone to be online" is a good idea - our games here are already slow, and expecting twilight to last 2-3 days is sort of...ehh. Unless I'm misunderstanding your intent.

Really, I see very little posting of any consequence during twilight, so it seems most people already believe in some combination of the two ideas (Stoofer's and Norinel's being the outliers, apparently). Then again, I try to make my twilights more than 2 hours, but less than 12.
Retired as of October 2014.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:44 am

Post by mith »

I'd rather have a set time for day than a set time for twilight. ~shrug~

One of my next two games will have just that. Unless I change my mind. :)
Fletcher
Fletcher
Eligible for a Title
Fletcher
Eligible for a Title
Eligible for a Title

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:30 am

Post by Fletcher »

If the mod doesn't want posting in twilight they should be prompt with night. I say it's fair game until then.
[size=75]"But you know what they say. 'Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is... umm... really, really dumb and bad.'"- Strong Bad[/size]
BrianMcQueso
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
My Wit is Broken

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:07 am

Post by BrianMcQueso »

mith wrote:(This is not an entirely hypothetical questions. Vote counts will be automated someday. Hopefully.)
You can't just go and say things like that, mith. You'll get my hopes up! [/lazy]
Commodore wrote:Speaking of downright appalling, FoS: Cam for calling Norinel "Narninian."
Holy crap! Mathcam just got
so ridiculously served
!

As for posting during twilight, I'm fairly against it. There has been more than one instance where a mafioso
thought
they had been lynched but were still one short. They confessed to being scum, which managed to convince other members of the town who were still on the ropes.

If the town thinks they're in twilight but they're not, it's not that big a deal. There's a slight delay before the moderator comes in and posts an accurate vote count, and it doesn't take much for some bandwagoner to pop on the last vote after that.
"Only a fool quotes himself." -BrianMcQueso
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:19 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Fletcher wrote:If the mod doesn't want posting in twilight they should be prompt with night. I say it's fair game until then.
I'd like to tear this to shreds, I really would. But since it comes completely from left field I feel that I can't in good faith argue against it unless you elaborate on the reasoning leading to your conclusion.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:02 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

BrianMcQueso wrote: As for posting during twilight, I'm fairly against it. There has been more than one instance where a mafioso
thought
they had been lynched but were still one short. They confessed to being scum, which managed to convince other members of the town who were still on the ropes.
Heh...well, yeah, you've got to watch out for that. Also, never, ever gloat until AFTER the mod declares you the winner. ;)

Still, I don't think that hurts the game; IMHO anything that makes people more paranoid and give people more chances to make mistakes or to set evil little traps improves the game.
Crola
Crola
Mafia Scum
Crola
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:26 pm

Post by Crola »

I always specify in my rules that players can talk in twilight, I figure what's the harm?

If the mod does not specify, I will speak during twilight.
Kun Lan:"Oops, I guess my trick didn't work on you."
Harman:"Tricks are for kids, Kun. I'm an old man."
~ Killer7

Return to “Mafia Discussion”