Newbie 1339 - Game Over! (Scum Win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:39 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 99, fuzzybutternut wrote:What's got you set on NS as scum?

I don't think NS is scum.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 100, Varsoon wrote:
In post 99, fuzzybutternut wrote:What's got you set on NS as scum?

I don't think NS is scum.

Just an asshole, lol.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:41 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

iirc, he's like that in all his games.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:56 am

Post by Nobody Special »

I am not an asshole. I am
terse
and
succinct.
Oh, and very blunt.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Post by RandomYoshi »

In post 103, Nobody Special wrote:I am not an asshole. I am
terse
and
succinct.
Oh, and very blunt.

Excuse me, but I have no clue on what terse and succinct means. I'm not a native speaker of English. My Google-searches hasn't given me much to go with. Mind explaining what they mean?
Nabber
Nabber
Goon
Nabber
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Post by Nabber »

RandomYoshi wrote:
terse
and
succinct.
Oh, and very blunt.

Excuse me, but I have no clue on what terse and succinct means. I'm not a native speaker of English. My Google-searches hasn't given me much to go with. Mind explaining what they mean?

It means not using much wording.

Right now I would vote Kitiekatt if I didn't already have my vote on her. Where has she been? She's made one post and done absolutely nothing else.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Post by Varsoon »

In post 102, fuzzybutternut wrote:iirc, he's like that in all his games.

Yeah, it was just a bit jarring at first. You'd figure that people would be more approachable in a game like this. /shrug.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

In post 105, Nabber wrote:
RandomYoshi wrote:
terse
and
succinct.
Oh, and very blunt.

It means not using much wording.

Right now I would vote Kitiekatt if I didn't already have my vote on her. Where has she been? She's made one post and done absolutely nothing else.

The only problem I have with this, is if she does get replaced, that puts the next person who takes her slot into a very tight spot.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Nabber
Nabber
Goon
Nabber
Goon
Goon

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Post by Nabber »

I guess an inactive is just an inactive, so that's a dead end for now, I suppose.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Basically, until she either picks up with her posting, or gets replaced, we don't have much to go on. Generally, scum don't actually go away like that, unless something actually happens in their life, so I'm going to guess she is town for now.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Post by Approximately Normal Guy »

In post 81, fuzzybutternut wrote:@ANG- Never think that scum WON'T do something. Ever. Scum are actually more inclined to claim a PR, and I can point you to games where that HAS happened. IF we do have a cop, do not claim if you get an innocent, and if you get a guilty, subtly claim. I made this mistake in a game of mine, and was lynched (town still won though). Keep in mind, this was Day 2. Newb scum are less inclined to do it, but it's still there as an option. Never underestimate scum.

I mean, I can see why scum would want to claim a pr if they could get away with it. I just thought in this setup it would be a big risk, and a 1-for-1 in a 9 player game seems to be better for town.

My reads so far:

Varsoon I think is likely town. The subject matter of his posts isn't always helpful to town, but his attitude and mindset just seem town to me. He's kind of dominated the conversation, and I struggle to imagine a guy who was scum in his first game ever being that confident.

Yoshi is null at this point. I liked him out of the gate, but his read on varsoon seemed to change suddenly when fuzzy came in and voted him. He forgot me in his first post, then suddenly remembered I was his biggest scumread for supporting an idea he also supported. That just doesn't seem natural.

Nobody Special seems like he is either uninterested or frustrated. That could be due to scum alignment but there is nothing that makes me dislike him to this point.

Fuzzy is a slight town read for me. I like how he came in and got the game moving somewhat. He seems like he is trying to help us all out, but at the same time it's a newbie game so I'm paranoid of more experienced players.

Nacho is really difficult to read. I don't think he's really said much (I'm posting on my phone, so I'm doing what I can from memory, as going back and forth for every player isn't worth the time nor the effort right now)

Nothing stands out about anybody else so far. I might make a follow-up post after this one once I read back over some more
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

What do you mean a 1-for-1?

Scum will do
anything
to stay alive. If you want proof, go read my Wiki and find the game I was cop in. Another player on here, UN, was scum. I investigated him, got a guilty result, and claimed. He counter-claimed with Doctor.

I see what you mean about Yoshi, though. It's more of a newb-tell right now, though.

As far as the "experienced player" thing goes, I've only played 4 games of mafia in my entire life. I suck at this game, to be honest.
It's good to have suspicion of more experienced players though, because they can be very manipulative, especially to someone who isn't experienced at all. Believe me, I just lost a game because scum practically controlled me.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:01 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

In [url=http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=4757676&sid=11d7518674f63d090fab3a75b86b9614#p4757676]post 92[/url], Varsoon wrote:
If a post quota and policy lynches are such a bad idea, his flagrant support of it does seem a bit suspicious.

I tend to just go with what seems best at the moment. I always like it when people post, which was what made me like the idea initially.
In [url=http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=4757676&sid=11d7518674f63d090fab3a75b86b9614#p4757676]post 92[/url], Varsoon wrote:
Seems all-too-eager to scumhunt, and when Fuzzy entered the thread he was pretty quick to turn things about on me.

Of course I want to hunt the Scum! That's what you'll have to do as Town!
The fact he wants everyone to produce reads factors into my deduction that mafia want town turning on themselves early into the day.

I want everyone to have as much stuff to work with at any given time, what's so scummy about that?
Honestly, he's given me the most to work with, but he could just be a really anxious town.

I tend to be overtly anxious as whichever alignment I am, but it especially applies to when I'm Town.

In [url=http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=4758636&sid=11d7518674f63d090fab3a75b86b9614#p4758636]post 110[/url], Approximately Normal Guy wrote:
I liked him out of the gate, but his read on varsoon seemed to change suddenly when fuzzy came in and voted him. He forgot me in his first post, then suddenly remembered I was his biggest scumread for supporting an idea he also supported. That just doesn't seem natural.

I was very tired when I posted my reads. That was what made me forget about you, apologies for that.

On the other hand, it seemed like you were pretty much hogging the thread for Varsoon to post his idea and such. It's like you planned that beforehand.

Anyway, @Varsoon:
In [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4756479#p4756479]post 65[/url], Approximately Normal Guy wrote:Well, kuror0 makes valid points. Forcing people to talk could create unnecessary fluff for scum to hide behind.

So ANG can pass by with saying that having a post quota is a bad idea just because he's agreeing with someone who
didn't vote you
? But, when I agree that having it is a bad idea, and the one who I am agreeing with votes you, I am suddenly scummy? Can you explain this?
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:40 am

In post 111, fuzzybutternut wrote:What do you mean a 1-for-1?

Scum will do
anything
to stay alive. If you want proof, go read my Wiki and find the game I was cop in. Another player on here, UN, was scum. I investigated him, got a guilty result, and claimed. He counter-claimed with Doctor.

I see what you mean about Yoshi, though. It's more of a newb-tell right now, though.

As far as the "experienced player" thing goes, I've only played 4 games of mafia in my entire life. I suck at this game, to be honest.
It's good to have suspicion of more experienced players though, because they can be very manipulative, especially to someone who isn't experienced at all. Believe me, I just lost a game because scum practically controlled me.

By a 1-for-1 I meant if some lied about a cop claim and we lynched based on that, it would become obvious who was lying. So, in your example, if you lynch the doctor claim and he flips town, then you lynch the cop claim. If the scum gets caught it's basically trading one town for one scum.

@yoshi, I never said you were scummy for not wanting the post quota, and neither is kuror0 nor anyone else. It seemed like a good idea when varsoon suggested it, then some people explained why it's not, and so I don't like it as much now. I said your vote was unnatural because you said you were voting me for supporting an idea that you yourself referred to as the best idea ever. What makes it ok for you, but makes me scum?
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:49 am

Oh I misread your post, yoshi. I thought the bottom part was directed at me. That makes 300% more sense now.
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:57 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

It's fine. I probably typed that post in a way that it could be misinterpreted easily. <_<
This is not a signature. | This is your daily reminder to worship the dancing sandwich.
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:04 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

In post 108, Nabber wrote:I guess an inactive is just an inactive, so that's a dead end for now, I suppose.

If it wasn't a dead end, where would you have liked the road to go?
This is not a signature. | This is your daily reminder to worship the dancing sandwich.
Nabber
Nabber
Goon
Nabber
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:50 am

Post by Nabber »

In post 116, RandomYoshi wrote:
In post 108, Nabber wrote:I guess an inactive is just an inactive, so that's a dead end for now, I suppose.

If it wasn't a dead end, where would you have liked the road to go?

I would have liked her to post and explain why she hadn't been participating. Unfortunately she just seems to be inactive, not lurking.
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:55 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

That makes sense.

Anyway, anything scummy you're noticing?
Nabber
Nabber
Goon
Nabber
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:04 am

Post by Nabber »

I don't think it's exactly a scrum move, but I'm wondering why Normal Guy only included five reads in his analysis a little bit up the page.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:31 am

Post by Varsoon »

So ANG can pass by with saying that having a post quota is a bad idea just because he's agreeing with someone who
didn't vote you
? But, when I agree that having it is a bad idea, and the one who I am agreeing with votes you, I am suddenly scummy? Can you explain this?

I've been skeptical of him, but I think that's the nature of the game--to be skeptical of everyone.
Honestly, my gut feeling was that you were scum, but I couldn't deduce who else might be. That's why, when the player who was absent was replaced and the new guy decisively stepped forward and began shifting the weight of the game around, I thought 'wow, what if the afk was scum, too? is this guy scum?', but that wouldn't have answered who the -other- scum was. You guys seemed to bounce off of each other really well, but, tbh, you did the same thing with me. Now I'm considering the other players a lot more, which could be either a bad or good thing, but, ah, we'll see.
For now, I'll keep my vote on you, but should someone else betray a scumslip, I'll probably change it.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:38 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 119, Nabber wrote:I don't think it's exactly a scrum move, but I'm wondering why Normal Guy only included five reads in his analysis a little bit up the page.

Yeah, that is a bit weird, but I think I am the only person who included himself in his reads.
Could have been that he left out people who he forgot were in game/people too inactive?
Either way, it was posted at like 1.30 AM and we've established not all of us are exactly night hawks.

Still, I'd like ANG to explain why.

Also, aaaah, now I feel a bit bad for persecuting Yoshi. ><
Do people usually ISO other players as early as this?
I guess there aren't many other ways to deduce scum without figuring out who thinks what and evaluating their posts.

I really wish the more inactive players would step back in. I'd like to see what they have to say, since it feels like half of us have been gone for 3 pages.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:40 am

Post by Varsoon »

Yeah, the more I look at it, Yoshi seems like an anxious townread to me.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:42 am

Post by Varsoon »

terse
and
succinct.
Oh, and very blunt.

Could you bluntly explain how you feel about the other players so we can gauge where you are?
I initially felt like having everyone do reads was a bad idea, but it's produced a lot of pro-town information.
You don't have to say if you think people are scum or town--like you said, you don't
have
to do anything.
I'd just like to more assuredly know how to feel about you.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:34 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

In post 113, Approximately Normal Guy wrote:
In post 111, fuzzybutternut wrote:What do you mean a 1-for-1?

Scum will do
anything

By a 1-for-1 I meant if some lied about a cop claim and we lynched based on that, it would become obvious who was lying. So, in your example, if you lynch the doctor claim and he flips town, then you lynch the cop claim. If the scum gets caught it's basically trading one town for one scum.

You're mistaken. This would be a 2-for-1 in favor of scum. If they lie about a cop claim, and town lynches based off that, they get a day kill and a night kill, which could put town in a very sticky situation, mainly because the night kill is most likely going to be someone who is actually helping the game.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”