Newbie 1247: Luggage in London (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newbie 1247: Luggage in London (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:18 am

Post by quadz08 »

Welcome to London Heathrow Airport, home of possibly the most amusing and/or intimidating PSA ever heard in an English-speaking country:

Please do not leave any baggage unattended, or else it will be confiscated and destroyed.

The 9 of you will be playing the parts of 9 pieces of luggage, accidentally left in the airport by their owners. 7 of you just want to them to come back and pick you up; you miss their tender caress, despite the occasional bumps against people and chairs, and you actually rather liked being thrown unceremoniously into the trunk of the car. There are 2 of you, however, who are evil dirty terrorist bombs (together known as the "mafia"), left intentionally in an attempt to EXPLODE THE AIRPORT. It is your mission now to get those 2 suitcases thrown out by Terminal Security (played by yours truly) before the countdown reaches zero. This will conveniently occur whenever there are less non-bomb suitcases than bomb suitcases.

You will accomplish this by voting to throw one suitcase per day out of your very, very good hiding spot, into broad daylight where Terminal Security will surely find it. Yes, I know, unlikely at best. Just roll with it. (badoom-kish)

Terminal Security

Moderator: quadz08

Waiting For Their Owners (Alive)

Spoiler:
  1. Blastoide
  2. Greywing
  3. Vash
  4. DoubleJD
    innocentvillager
    _purkle_

5. Tierce (IC)

Confiscated and Destroyed(Dead)

Spoiler:
  1. brundibar,
    Town Jailkeeper
    , lynched D1
  2. FancyPants
    quidagismedice
    Vanilla Townie
    , killed N1
  3. The Acting Method (SE),
    Vanilla Townie
    , lynched D2
  4. TheButtonmen
    The1fifi
    (SE),
    Vanilla Townie
    , lynched D3

Removed and Remade into Paris Hilton's Boots (Modkilled)

Spoiler:
No one, hopefully ever.
Last edited by quadz08 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:18 am

Post by quadz08 »

RULES:

General:

1)
I am MOD. There is no greater authority than I. I reserve the right to alter these rules if I deem it necessary, including retroactively enforcing new/altered rules. You also have my promise that I will not do so unless it really is necessary.
2)
Do not talk about this game outside of the thread (or your QT, if you have one) in any way, shape, or form.
3)
Do not quote any mod communications originating outside the game thread. You may paraphrase, but be cautious when doing so.
4)
If you are modkilled, you automatically become a Neutral Survivor, and lose the game.
5)
If I screw up, let me know. Post in thread (
@Mod: I voted for Nader, not Bush
) or PM me.
6)
Please try to avoid using
bold
unless you are voting or communicating with me.
7)
All night actions will be resolved with Natural Action Resolution.
8)
Purple is my color. Do not use it.

9)
All roles have been given out by Random.org.

Voting/Lynching:

1)
Voting will be done either using the VOTE: tag, or in this format:
vote: Nixon
2)
There will be no voting trickery. If something is clearly intended to be a vote for a specific player, I will treat it as such.
3)
A lynch will occur when half-plus-one of living players are voting for the same player (or for a no-lynch). As soon as the hammer vote is cast, the game will enter Twilight.
4)
All living players (including the lynchee) may talk in Twilight, but any voting/unvoting will not count. Twilight will last until I post the final vote count / scene.
5)
Roles will be revealed at death.
6)
Once dead, you are allowed a single ‘bah’ post at the beginning of the next Day Phase. This post must be made within 48 hours of the beginning of the Day, and cannot contain any game information.
7)
If there is no majority at deadline, there will be a no-lynch.

Deadlines:

1)
Day phases will have a deadline of 3 weeks from the daybreak scene.
2)
Day phases are extendable in the case of excessive/badly timed replacements, or if two-thirds of living players request an extension.
3)
Night phases will have an unalterable deadline of 3 days from the lynch scene.
4)
Prods will be given if a player has not posted in 48 hours.
5)
A player must respond, in-thread, to a prod within 48 hours, or they will be replaced. If the 48 hours runs into Night Phase, they must PM me within the same time frame.

Don’t Be Stupid:

1)
Don’t use hidden or encrypted text. You may use small text, unless it is hiding game-related or important information.
2)
Play to your win condition.
3)
Don’t attack your fellow players. It’s just a game.
4)
Understand that life throws curveballs sometimes, and players will have to go V/LA. I can certainly relate. Please do not accuse players of using V/LA unfairly.
5)
By the same token, please don’t use V/LA unfairly. If something comes up, that’s fine, but don’t ruin the game for others. Request replacement if you need to.
6)
Have fun. No, really. Have fun.

IC and SE Guidelines:

The purpose of the IC (Inexperience-Challenged) and SE(Semi-Experienced) players in this game is to help newbies understand how the game is played on mafiascum.net. If you have any questions about abbreviations, etiquette, mafia theory, etc., do not hesitate to ask your IC. Newbie games are meant to be educational. That said, remember the following things:
1. Because roles were assigned randomly, do not assume that your IC or SE players are town. They will provide you good theory-based information regardless of their alignment, but they are no more likely to be town than any other player in the game.
2. There are no stupid questions! If you are unclear about any mafia-related questions ask your IC in thread. The answer to your questions will likely be helpful to everyone in the game.
3. The tells and advice listed in the wiki, though useful, will only get you so far. Your IC and SE should be vastly more helpful than the wiki, as they will always be up-to-date.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:19 am

Post by quadz08 »

Setup

This game uses the 2of4 setup, an experimental setup designed to fix balance issues in previous Newbie setups. This is a semi-open setup, meaning that there are several options for what this setup could be, but the options are known to you. I used random.org to determine both setup and role distribution (as every Newbie Mod and most non-newbie Mods do).

The six options for this setup:

1. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 5 Vanilla Townies, Sane Cop, Doctor.
2. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 5 Vanilla Townies, Sane Cop, Jailkeeper.
3. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 5 Vanilla Townies, Doctor, Jailkeeper.
4. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Sane Cop.
5. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Jailkeeper.
6. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Doctor.

Possible Role PMs
Spoiler: Vanilla Townie
Hello [player]! Welcome to Newbie 1231.

You are a Vanilla Townie.

Abilities: None.
Win Condition: You win the game when only Town-aligned players are alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Confirm by sending me a PM containing their rolename and alignment.

Have fun!

Spoiler: Jailkeeper

You are the Jailkeeper.

Abilities: Each night, you may target one other player in the game. The player you target will be unable to use night actions and will not be affected by any kills directed at them. Other actions directed at your target player will succeed.
Win Condition: You win the game when only Town-aligned players are alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Have fun!

Spoiler: Cop

You are the Cop.

Abilities: Each night, you may target one other player in the game. If your ability is successful, I will send you a PM with the alignment of that player. Your results are guaranteed to be 100% sane.

Have fun!

Spoiler: Doctor

You are the Doctor.

Abilities: Each night, you may target one other player in the game. If your ability is successful, any killing abilities used on the targeted player will not succeed.

Have fun!

Spoiler: Mafia Goon

You are the Mafia Goon. Your partner, [player], is a Mafia Rolecop.

Factional Abilities: At night, either you or your mafia partner may target a player. If your ability is successful, that player will die at the end of the night. Additionally, every night, you may talk with your mafia partner in this quicktopic.
Win Condition: You win the game when only Mafia-aligned players are alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Have fun!

Spoiler: Mafia Rolecop

You are the Mafia Rolecop. Your partner, [player], is a Mafia Goon.

Factional Abilities: At night, either you or your mafia partner may target a player. If your ability is successful, that player will die at the end of the night. Additionally, every night, you may talk with your mafia partner in this quicktopic.
Abilities: Each night, you may target one other player in the game. If your ability is successful, you will learn that player’s role at the end of the Night. You may use both your Rolecop and the factional kill in the same night.
Win Condition: You win the game when only Mafia-aligned players are alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Have fun!

Useful Links

Newbie Guide
Frequently Asked Questions
Commonly Used Abbreviations
Last edited by quadz08 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:19 am

Post by quadz08 »

Role PMs will go out momentarily. Day 1 will begin after 7/9 players have confirmed by
sending me a PM containing their rolename and alignment.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:13 am

Post by quadz08 »

With 7/9 suitcases dropped off, Day 1 begins now.

The “Check-in” Votecount

Blastoide
brundibar
Greywing
Vash
quidagismedice
_purkle_
The1fifi (SE)
The Acting Method (SE)
Tierce (IC)

Not Voting: Blastoide, brudibar, Greywing, Vash, quidagismedice, _purkle_, The1fifi, The Acting Method, Tierce

Deadline: (expired on 2012-06-23 22:30:00)

If I do not receive confirmations from the remaining 2 players in 48 hours, they will be force replaced.
brundibar
brundibar
Goon
brundibar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:21 am

Post by brundibar »

VOTE: Blastoide

Explosion-related luggage is suspicious.

LESGO.
Greywing
Greywing
Goon
Greywing
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:52 am

Post by Greywing »

Hey everyone. Can't say I've ever pretended to be talking luggage before, but I guess there's a first for everything right?

VOTE: quidagismedice

Your name is obnoxiously difficult to spell, and I hope to do so as few times as possible :P.
Show
"One arrow alone can be easily broken, but many arrows are indestructible."

Genghis Khan.

Records

(wins-losses)

Town
: 3-1
Mafia
: 3-1
Independent
: 0-0
Overall
: 6-2
Times Lynched
: 4
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Post by Tierce »

This first post is mostly stolen from Thor665. It includes an intro about my role in the game, duties and initial game stage. If this interests you, please read on (especially if this is your first time playing here); if not, feel free to skip.

Spoiler: IC Intro
Greetings,

I am Tierce and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is, first and foremost, that I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on MafiaScum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a good IC.
That article is part of our amazing MafiaWiki System. I
highly
recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of, as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory and glossary. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice:

1. Don't self vote. (There are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is.)
  2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
  3. It's a game--have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with, generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do than a town player).

A final note about me, not directly related to the game: English is not my first language. I should be able to understand you just fine, but I want to write better. I would welcome notes/corrections on my spelling and grammar, either as they occur or at the end of the game. In the same manner, please try to be understanding if I ask you to clarify a sentence for me.
brundibar
brundibar
Goon
brundibar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Post by brundibar »

@Mod: Do you require an Unvote before switching votes?
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Post by The Acting Method »

VOTE: Greywing

For the most interesting vote during RVS in a game I've played so far.

As SE I am going to try to play to my win condition and aid you all in being apart of the site to the best of my ability... Though to be quite honest I may be a little rusty myself.
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.

Theater Season Mafia STARTING SOON!!!!
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In post 8, brundibar wrote:
@Mod: Do you require an Unvote before switching votes?

I do not require unvotes. This rule (in the voting / lynching section) is intended to demonstrate that fact.

Rules wrote:2) There will be no voting trickery. If something is clearly intended to be a vote for a specific player, I will treat it as such.
Vash
Vash
Goon
Vash
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Post by Vash »

Vote: brundibar

Reason: Oldest member to post so far.
Show
Record

(wins-losses)

Town
: 0-1
Mafia:
0-0
Independent:
0-0
Overall:
0-1
Blastoide
Blastoide
Goon
Blastoide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Post by Blastoide »

Cool! This is my first game on this site, so hopefully I do well. So do you vote you first post? If so, then
Vote: Vash
. Mainly because there is no B in his/her name. I don't know, random reason at first, right?
Blastoide
Blastoide
Goon
Blastoide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:25 pm

Post by Blastoide »

His. Now I know Vash is a he.
_purkle_
_purkle_
Townie
_purkle_
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:50 pm

Post by _purkle_ »

VOTE: The Acting Method

Actors are very good at being something they're not.
brundibar
brundibar
Goon
brundibar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:10 am

Post by brundibar »

What time zone is everyone in? (Important for when we get close to deadlines)

I'm UTC -8
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 am

I'm also UTC -08:00.

I also like time zones because they allow for us to have an idea of when you are most likely to be on...

brundibar
brundibar
Goon
brundibar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:05 am

Post by brundibar »

Woo UTC-8!
quidagismedice
quidagismedice
Goon
quidagismedice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:06 am

Post by quidagismedice »

VOTE: _purkle_
Because purkle's funny to say.

@greywing: Please, call me quid. or QAM if you prefer.

@brundibar: GMT, currently on summer-holiday with a lot of time on my hands, so don't be surprised if I seem to be posting at strange hours.

To all other newbies, how much experience do you have, here, on other sites & offline?
This is one of my two ongoings after finishing my first onsite game (see my sig) in addition to a few offlines.

@Tierce, why no random vote?
Link for meta (yep, just the one for now): Newbie 1231
brundibar
brundibar
Goon
brundibar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:08 am

Post by brundibar »

I've completed 1 other on site, currently playing in two others. Loads of offline play though.
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:15 am

Let's see, while am I'm an SE I'll politely answer your question anyway.

I've been in many games both onsite and off (though most of my games here have been loss.) I have played mostly on another site where I have indulged in modding from time to time as well.

Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:26 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 18, quidagismedice wrote:@Tierce, why no random vote?

I'm on vacation in Ireland and that was just a quick intro, Doc. ;)

I'll have reduced access until the 8th, but will pop in when possible.

GMT timezone (on DST).

VOTE: brundibar
Definitely not a random vote.
quidagismedice
quidagismedice
Goon
quidagismedice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:32 am

Post by quidagismedice »

@Tierce: Have fun in my country! Sorry about the weather this week, it was lovely just a while ago. On a more serious note: I'm taking your explanation on your brundibar vote to be sarcastic - any reason you RV'd someone who already has 1 vote?
Link for meta (yep, just the one for now): Newbie 1231
brundibar
brundibar
Goon
brundibar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:36 am

Post by brundibar »

In post 21, Tierce wrote:

Reasons?
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:42 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 22, quidagismedice wrote:@Tierce: Have fun in my country! Sorry about the weather this week, it was lovely just a while ago. On a more serious note: I'm taking your explanation on your brundibar vote to be sarcastic - any reason you RV'd someone who already has 1 vote?

Heh, I came prepared for/expecting lousy weather, it's not too bad. And it's gorgeous and has scummers to visit and drink with, so I'm happy!

It's not sarcasm, and it's not a random vote.

In post 23, brundibar wrote:
In post 21, Tierce wrote:

Reasons?

Compare your behavior to quidagismedice's. You're posting repeatedly without adding anything particularly relevant to the game, and the content you
do
add is not indicative of alignment--it's something that there is no particular town motivation to be posting. Awkwardness during/immediately after the RVS phase is a typical scum characteristic.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”