Newbie 74 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:51 pm

Post by Locus Cosecant »

JDTAY wrote:Personally, I think you're adding a bit too much content, Myopia. You're giving the mafia (and/or town) tons of ammunition to attack you with. When on the first day, keep it simple and make sure you don't say anything you have to take responsibility for unless you have a strong suspicion or solid information. In later days you can attack people as they attack you, when everyone has ammunition.
Are you encouraging people to lurk, JDTAY? If nobody says anything useful the game doesn't go anywhere.

And Myopia, you are, in fact, being hypocritical. Attacking something in others and then doing it yourself is the textbook definition of hypocritical.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
Pro-Town: 14 of 17 games
Doctor: 3 of 17 games
Cop: 2 of 17 games
Wins: 12 of 17 games
Lynched Scum: 16 of 27 lynches
Vig-killed Scum: 1 of 1 vig-kills
Survived/NightKilled/Lynched: 5/11/1 games
[/size]
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:54 pm

Post by JDTAY »

Sorry, Locus, but all the vets know that the game begins on Day 2. I wasn't supposed to tell you guys, but basically we wait for some n00b to try to play the game on Day 1 and lynch him. It's how we vets avoid getting lynched Day 1.
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:07 pm

Post by kieron »

inHimshallibe wrote:

Code: Select all

Lynch Pro-Town Day 1           :   No-Lynch Day 1
6 Remain                       :   7 Remain
Mafia successful Night 1       :   Mafia Successful Night 1
5 Remain                       :   6 Remain
Day 2 is lynch right or lose   :   Day 2 is lynch right or lose

A similar graphic to the one above was shown to me when I asked the same question you did, kieron. If you need further explanation, please feel free to ask away.
Does "Lynch pro-town" mean that the town lynchs a mafia?

The last line says "lynch right or lose", in either case, right? But I thought you were saying that the Lynch scenario is better??

If it's "generally accepted" that it's better to lynch day one, then I guess I should jump in. Having no real information, I guess I'll vote for the person who voted for me:

Vote: Jaggedcrags

As an aside, I tried to find a simulator on the theory part of the board, but I can't. Could someone direct me to one?
Signatures, while sometimes clever or interesting, quickly get boring when seen over and over.
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:20 pm

Post by Locus Cosecant »

JDTAY wrote:Sorry, Locus, but all the vets know that the game begins on Day 2. I wasn't supposed to tell you guys, but basically we wait for some n00b to try to play the game on Day 1 and lynch him. It's how we vets avoid getting lynched Day 1.
JDTAY, I'm fairly simple-minded, so you'll have to break things down a little for me. I don't understand complex things like "sarcasm" and "humor". It's a great disadvantage, I know. The point I'm trying to make here is...

What, if anything, are you actually trying to say? Do you stand by your advice to Myopia earlier? I'm a little confused, and I know I've had trouble with taking people's jokes seriously before.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:20 pm

Post by kieron »

JDTAY wrote:Sorry, Locus, but all the vets know that the game begins on Day 2. I wasn't supposed to tell you guys, but basically we wait for some n00b to try to play the game on Day 1 and lynch him. It's how we vets avoid getting lynched Day 1.
What do you mean "I wasn't supposed to tell you guys"? Did the experienced players do some sort of pre-planning?

You wait for a newbie to try and play the game, and then lynch him for doing so? That doesn't really seem in the spirit of trying to promote the game (of mafia)! It seems like the vets should be focusing (in the newbie games) on making the game fun/interesting for the newbies, not on winning (as much as in the "real" games).

Anyway, so now you are going to lynch myopia since he actually tried to play?...how odd.

Just my 2 cents.
Signatures, while sometimes clever or interesting, quickly get boring when seen over and over.
kieron
kieron
Townie
kieron
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:31 pm

Post by kieron »

Myopia wrote:[snip]

What I want to discuss is whether the cop should come out day 2 as soon as they have done an investigation. Seems to me that with this set up, and only 1 kill possible a night, as long as the doc (and the cop of course) are still alive that will always be the best percentage play. If theres 2 role claims then you end up at worst with a confirmed scum and a confirmed townie. Id like to hear everyone elses thoughts on this.[snip]
I think if the doc is alive, the cop should FOR SURE come out (if he knows who a mafia is, or if we're about to lynch who he knows is a townie). After all, he'll be protected by the doc.

If the doc is dead, the cop probably should come out if he knows who a mafia is, since 1 for 1 is a good trade for the town. If he just knows a townie, he should probably stay hidden.

That's just my gut (and I don't have any data - or even experience - to back it up with, so I'll be interested to hear more experienced players answers).
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:01 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

kieron wrote: The last line says "lynch right or lose", in either case, right? But I thought you were saying that the Lynch scenario is better??
The lynch scenario IS seemingly better, because you have less people to choose to be scum.

I'll probably be gone for the most part of this week. I may drop in during schooltime, but that's only about 20 minutes worth. Sorry about this, but studying is just a WEEEEEEE bit more important. OK, that's all for now.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:07 pm

Post by Myopia »

heh. that wasnt in the faq. guess Im in trouble then.

lotus. I agree with your definition of hypocrisy. where we disagree is that im not trying to attack anyone. ive stated an opinion and indicated it is tenuous at best. how does that qualify as an attack?
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:29 pm

Post by mathcam »

Official Vote Count
:

Talitha (1, JDTay)
Kieron (1, JaggedCraggs)
inHim (1, Tally)
Myopia (1, LocusCosecant)
JaggedCraggs (1, Kieron)

Not Voting: Tally, inHim

Cam
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:05 pm

Post by Myopia »

What is the convention when a player takes a medium size break like Inhim?

I'd feel bad about lynching him when he cant defend himself but equally he can slide under the radar freely if hes mafia (note im not saying that his other commitments arent genuine).

Im kind of annoyed that locus has kept his vote on me for what must have been the mildest attack in the history of the game. Im tempted to go tit-for-tat but I dont think hes scummy at this point so I will keep my vote and just slowly polish my trusty lynching rope.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:46 pm

Post by Talitha »

It's frustrating when players aren't available - but I guess it's just part of mafia. We just have to hope that Inhim can spare us the time to post in his study breaks occasionally.

And I think JDTAY is wrong and right.... He's wrong because I think we should encourage players to post freely, express their suspicions, comment on the game happenings etc. But he's right that doing so can make you appear suspicious, or may make you an easy target for scum if you are new. I prefer that people post lots of game related stuff often. It makes the game a lot more rewarding for all players. You just have to accept that people will argue with you, accuse you, vote for you, try and get you lynched, etc. But that's what you signed up for.
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:42 pm

Post by Myopia »

I think his comments were derived from a more strategic aim of adjusting ones playing style to minimise ones overall mortality rate. I can see why that would be a more immediate goal to a veteran player.

As a new player thats not so much of a worry to me :D
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:07 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

Yay, I'm able to drop in tonight. Maybe I can post at this time, in addition to my school time.

On to the game. Right now, the only suspicious comment I've read is:
JDTAY wrote:Personally, I think you're adding a bit too much content, Myopia. You're giving the mafia (and/or town) tons of ammunition to attack you with. When on the first day, keep it simple and make sure you don't say anything you have to take responsibility for unless you have a strong suspicion or solid information. In later days you can attack people as they attack you, when everyone has ammunition.
Not a real good feel to this paragraph. Maybe it's the wording or tone, but it doesn't seem much like what a pro-town person would post. In my opinion, all JDTAY gives from the above is a possible excuse for attacking Myopia later on.

vote : JDTAY
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:26 pm

Post by Locus Cosecant »

Myopia wrote:Im kind of annoyed that locus has kept his vote on me for what must have been the mildest attack in the history of the game.
Well, that was kind of my point. You were incredibly wishy-washy, like scum trying to stir the pot without being noticeable.

Vis-a-vis JDTAY's post, I'm still smarting from Newbie 66, where lemming posted a "joke" which turned out to be... actually a joke, and he was pro-town. While I think the serious business of lynching scum is not the appropriate time for levity, I don't want to lynch a pro-town for cracking a joke. Still, since he hasn't come forward to clarify his position,
FOS: JDTAY
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:19 pm

Post by Talitha »

I'm content with my vote on InHim at the moment.
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:34 am

Post by JDTAY »

An FOS? I try to help you newbies and this is the thanks I get?

I SHALL SMITE THEE, N00B!

unvote: Myopia
vote: Locus
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:18 am

Post by Locus Cosecant »

I'm sorry, but all this bluster makes a perfect cover to hide scumminess. If your actions are strange
anyway
, how are we supposed to notice if you're acting scummy? I've given you a chance to explain yourself, and you have refused.

unvote
vote JDTAY
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:44 am

Post by mathcam »

Official Vote Count
:

JDTay (2, inHim, Locus)
LocusCosecant (1, JDTay)
Kieron (1, JaggedCraggs)
inHim (1, Tally)
JaggedCraggs (1, Kieron)

Not Voting: Myopia

Cam
Last edited by mathcam on Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Locus Cosecant
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Locus Cosecant
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:47 am

Post by Locus Cosecant »

mathcam, you have Tally on there as both voting inHim and not voting. I think you mean that Myopia is not voting.
Show
[size=75]Stats:
[/size]
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:14 pm

Post by Myopia »

Unless I missed something, Jdtay's vote was on talitha (the get the chicks post) rather than me. Seems an uncharacterstic error to me. Isnt a scum more likely to forget who they have voted for (because they dont really care about finding scum unlike a townie)? Might just be because the vote was random but I find this suspicious.

Im wary of putting a third vote on though until I see what he has to say.
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:18 pm

Post by Myopia »

Oh btw talitha why keep your vote for Inhim? Correct me if Im wrong but i though the initial vote was random.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:30 pm

Post by Talitha »

It
was
random... sort of. And I'm keeping it there because I haven't noticed any better candidates.
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:47 pm

Post by JDTAY »

I'm the doctor. Unvote me now, n00bs, and think about what you've done.
Myopia
Myopia
Goon
Myopia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:59 pm

Post by Myopia »

Ok then:

We have two votes for jdtay. In him because jdtay's "keep your head down" post to me did not seem to him to be pro-town. Locus because jdtay replied to locus's fos for making jokes with another joke and a vote. Honestly jdtay had to know he had that coming.

We of course have the vote for locus from jdtay which was a joke.

We have one vote for inhim from talitha which is part random, part no-one better and part for an unamed reason (the "sort of" comment). Her being reticent strikes me as a little odd as she seems very analytical to me.

We have one vote for kieron from jagged which was random.

We have one vote for jagged from kieron which was tit for tat.

I cant see anything meaningful in the votes for locus, kieron or jagged at this point.

My current view is that locus is actively trolling for scum (which is what im attempting but then again maybe Im just flailing around impotently), the three experienced players are keeping their heads down and merely responding to questions or in the case of jtday making jokes and jagged is lurking.

Jagged what are your thoughts?
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:04 pm

Post by Talitha »

JDTAY - That was a hasty roleclaim if you really are the doctor. Why did you claim on 2/4 votes? :?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”