Newbie 982 - Shadows of Death, Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Newbie 982 - Shadows of Death, Game Over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:01 am

Post by Haylen »

Newbie 982 - Shadows of Death

Moderator: Haylen
Backup Moderator: Don't need one.

You're all stuck on a desert island in the middle of some unknown ocean. You are surrounded by nothing but water. Occassionally, you glimps a shadow in the dark, coincidentally, that same night somebody always dies. Who is responsible for this shadow of Death?

Afraid of the Shadows

mastermind (Rep. Akira)
theperson (Rep. zauper)
Hinduragi (Rep. ooBAZZoo)
AurorusVox (SE)

Spoiler: Suffering from a Bad Case of Dead
Seth (rep. Valkyrie_Hrist) - Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day One

MichelSableHeart - Vanilla Townie - Killed Night One

EarthIntruder - Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day Two

Guybrush - Vanilla Townie - Killed Night Two

Linkz

omnino replaces LoakaMossi Day One
seth replaces Valkyrie_H Day One
theperson replaces zauper Day One
Day One Lynch

Day Two begins
Last edited by Haylen on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:13 am, edited 17 times in total.
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:01 am

Post by Haylen »

Haylen's Rules (Cross referenced with Incognito and Vi's rules to makes sure she got everything.)

During the Day...

The game is a Day Start.
You must bold your votes as such
Vote: Battle Mage
, please put the unvote where I can see it though, at the bottom of the post preferably. Unvoting makes me happy, but isn't completely necessary.
Each Day will have a deadline of 3 weeks, not reaching a majority of votes during that time will result in a no lynch. I may extend the deadline in special circumstances. I may also reduce the deadline by one day each time if activity does not pick up. Don't lurk. Lurking makes me sad :cry:
Mafia may not speak to each other during the day, lest you be smited.
You may not quote your role PM's or any other communication outside thread, with the mod. Lest you be smited.
I don't like cheaters.
(a)
Anybody who is found to be using invisible text, spoiler tags, encryption or anything as such will be smited unless they have an extremely good reason. Not knowing is not a good reason.
(b)
If you have the power to edit yours or anyone elses posts. Dont. Lest you be smited.
7a.
If you do not post within 72 hrs, you will receive a prod. Failure to response to the prod within 72 hrs will result in an automatic replacement. Three prods with result in an automatic replacement aswell.
b.
All mod communication should be opened as they are likely to contain important information about the game. This is to prevent mistakes with prods ect.
c.
If the third real life day after a prod is sent occurs during the night, then players are required to reply to their prod via PM. This is so that if a replacement is needed one can be found ASAP.
If you don't post for a whole game day, you'll be forcibly replaced.

During Twilight

Votes and unvotes will not be counted after a lynch.
The person lynched may still talk during Twilight.
4. Mafia still can't talk during this time.

During the Night Phase

The Night Phase will last 72 hrs. I like this number. Any actions that have not been received by then will be forgone. (Night may end early if all actions are received)
If your role permits it, you may talk to the players I have given you permission to talk to during the night.
Mafia, whoever sends in the kill, don't try and kill your partners, I will not be messed with.
Don't try and impersonate the mafia by sending me fake action PM's, I will not appreciate it, and you will be smited.

General Rules

I will not accept insulting behaviour in my games, anybody doing so will receive a nice, well worded warning from me in thread. Further breaking of the rule will receive a harsher punishment.
Blue is my colour. Dont use any kind of blue in your posts, I will count it as impersonating the mod and you will be smited. Sometimes I like to edit your posts, if I do I'll use my colour.
Never talk to anybody outside the game except if your role permits it, and I have told you you can talk now.
Don't piss off the mod. You will be smited.
If you think you have found a loophole with my rules, you haven't. I will recognise a loophole breakage and punish you accordingly.
Smitings (AKA) 'Modkills', means I kill you immediately (for breaking the rules) and change your role to Neutral Survivor, meaning you auto-lose. Smitings (AKA) 'Modkills' automatically end the day. Period.
Play to win, just like everyone else. Don't get disheartened if you're lynched or attacked, basically don't take anything personally. If you feel somebodies behaviour has been inappropriate PM me about it and I will deal with it in some form or another.
Thy mod is thy godess...however, I may make a mistake, if I do; PM me about it and I'll deal with it in some form or another.
If you need help PM me...or AIM me, I'm always online (except when I'm sleeping, or in a lecture.)
The mod is afraid of ghosts, don't post when you're dead, you will scare her. Leave it to end game discussion...
Treat this game as a commitment, and be courteous to your fellow players. It will make everybody, including your mod happy. Smile
It is my prerogative to change the rules if I deem it necessary, you shall receive a notification in thread and a PM aswell to notify you of these changes.
I like receiving PM's, if anybody fancies PMing me for a chat or rant go for it. I can't talk about game specifics though, obv obv.

IC'sIC's are Inexperienced Challenged players, they are here to help you learn to play the game correctly. If you have any game or theory related questions, they will be happy to help you. If, however, you need help understanding your role or something role specific, you should PM me.

They must follow the roles set out in the Being a Good IC wiki page.

You may also find useful information on theory ect on the MafiaScum Wiki.

Mafia is a game of honor. Cheating is breaking the honor code you committed to when you joined this site.

And lastly...have fun! :D
Last edited by Haylen on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:01 am

Post by Haylen »

The game will use
one
of these 4 setups, I can't tell you which it is though :p but I did randomize it using random.org. Please note, it is rare that you will come across one of these setups in a non Road to Rome game, so please prepare yourself for changes in rules, roles and setups when you sign up to other games.

Possible Setups

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Cop
1 Doc
5 Townies

OR

2 Mafia Goons
1 Cop
6 Townies

OR

2 Mafia Goons
1 Doc
6 Townies

OR

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Roleblocker
7 Townies

Possible Role PMs

Mafia Aligned

Mafia GoonYou are a
Mafia Goon
, one of the 'baddies' of the city. You are one of the people who have been committing murder in the village. Along with your partner [playername] who is a Mafia Goon/Mafia Roleblocker, you must hide amongst the townies by day and kill them off at night.

During the night, you can talk with your partner in [this] quicktopic, you can then send me a message as to who you wish to night kill as a team.

You win when the mafia are the majority of players in the game or nothing can prevent the same.

To confirm, please state your role back to me via PM.

Game thread is [here]

Mafia Role BlockerYou are a
Mafia Roleblocker
, one of the 'baddies' of the city. You are one of the people who have been committing murder in the village. Along with your partner [playername] who is a Mafia Goon, you must hide amongst the townies by day and kill them off at night.

During the night, you can talk with your partner in [this] quicktopic, you can then send me a message as to who you wish to night kill as a team. You also have the ability to roleblock one player per night - this means if they have any night actions, they will not be inaffective.

Note: If the goon dies, the Role Blocker can send in both the role block and the mafia kill. But the goon cannot send in a role block if the role blocker dies.

Game thread is [here]

Town Aligned

CopYou are a
Cop
, on the side of the town. During the day, you may vote to decide who you think is mafia. When it is night, you may send me the name of one player you wish to investigate via Private Message. You will get one of the following results:

Innocent - This means they are town.
Guilty - This means they are mafia.
Inspection Unsuccessful - Meaning you have been roleblocked.

You win with the town, when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Note: The only type of cop used in these setups are Sane Night Cops, they're the most common types of cop

Game thread is [here]

DocYou are a
Doc
, on the side of the town. During the day, you may vote to decide who you think is mafia. When it is night, you may send me the name of a player you wish to protect at night. This means that that player will be protected from mafia night kills, unless you have been roleblocked.

Note: Only Sane Doc's are used in these setups.

Game thread is [here]

Vanilla TownieYou are a
Vanilla Townie
, the only thing you have in the game is your vote and mind.

Game thread is [here]
Last edited by Haylen on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

zauper
zauper
Townie
zauper
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:37 am

Post by zauper »

/confirm.

I bet Guybrush is scum. He's all pirate-y
Valkyrie_Hrist
Valkyrie_Hrist
Townie
Valkyrie_Hrist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:45 am

Post by Valkyrie_Hrist »

/confirm.
Akira
Akira
Goon
Akira
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:47 am

Post by Akira »

/confirm

The fact that he's "pirate-ey" doesn't mean anything, and it looks to me like you're pretty sure he's a townsperson. That post of yours makes me think you're mafia, but I want more opinions before I jump to conclusions.
|
Town
|-|
||
|
|
Mafia
|-|
||
|
ooBAZZoo
ooBAZZoo
Goon
ooBAZZoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:54 am

Post by ooBAZZoo »

/confirm.
x
Valkyrie_Hrist
Valkyrie_Hrist
Townie
Valkyrie_Hrist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:54 am

Post by Valkyrie_Hrist »

Are we jumping into RVS before the game has even begun? Why don't we wait for everyone to confirm first?
Guybrush
Guybrush
Goon
Guybrush
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:06 pm

Post by Guybrush »

/confirm

Lulz,
and you haven't even seen my suspicious looking avatar yet.
Hello, Dexter Morgan
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:09 pm

Post by 2003041 »

/confirm

Oh, and just to make things easier in regards for me, you can just type 2k3. It;'s the same. :P
Show
New Game: Town 0W//1L Scum 0W//0L Power Roles: 0/1
Replacement: Town 1W//0L Scum 0W//0L Power Roles: 1/1
Work by day, Guitar Hero/Rock Band by twilight, Mafia at night. THAT, my friends, is a perfect day!!!

We need subscribers for our GH/RB team to be sponsored.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TEAML3G3NDOFFICIAL <----Subscribe here to help us.
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:19 pm

Post by AurorusVox »

/confirm

I'ma wait til we've got all our confirms before leaping to RVS ;)
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
LoakaMossi
LoakaMossi
Townie
LoakaMossi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:52 pm

Post by LoakaMossi »

/confirm
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:14 pm

Post by MichelSableheart »

I have read my rules, I have read my role pm, I don't have any questions.

In other words: /confirm.

A note on the term Random Voting Stage: In the beginning of the game, our goal should be to get discussion started. Actions that don't help with that are not helpful for the town. There is no such thing as a stage in the game where it is ok to behave randomly.

Personally, I would prefer if we didn't random vote at all. Votes in the beginning of the game are intended to start discussion, but a vote is much more likely to start discussion if there is an actual idea behind it.

As far as I am concerned, there was no reason to wait for everyone to confirm before starting actual discussion. All discussion we get done before the game has officially begun is discussion we don't have to go through during the actual game. It gives us more time to decide on a lynch. @Aurorus: why did you want to wait? Were you perhaps hoping that town didn't get discussion going at all?

@Akira: May I ask why you believe Zauper is more likely scum? Reasons such as "he's all piraty" are (unfortunately) seen pretty often early in the game, and are in my experience equally likely to come from town as from scum. At least Zauper made an attempt to get discussion started, unlike Valkyrie, who also made a post before yours.

@Zauper, LoakaMossi: is it possible for you to get an avatar? It helps us if we can easily recognize your posts.
There is no 'a' in Michel.
Akira
Akira
Goon
Akira
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Post by Akira »

@MichelSableheart: Since this is my first game, I don't really have a good idea of what "usually happens" on day one, so my post was simply an attempt to get something going, and to have a better idea of who I should suspect. I don't really suspect him that much.

But I do agree that mafia are usually more prudent than townies, and prefer not to start discussion.
|
Town
|-|
||
|
|
Mafia
|-|
||
|
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:11 pm

Post by AurorusVox »

@Michael, I feel it's simply rude to begin the game before everyone has confirmed. That's the whole reason for the confirmation stage. Some mods take confirmations through PM and don't unlock the thread until everyone has confirmed. Since this is a newbie game, we should probably try to represent how most newbie games are played out, i.e. allow the confirmation stage to finish. For these reasons, I will be treating the thread as essentially "locked" until we've had the majority of people confirming.

(incidentally, I personally prefer RQS, or non-random question stage, to random vote stage, but that's something we can get into when the confirmations have all come in)
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Guybrush
Guybrush
Goon
Guybrush
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:14 am

Post by Guybrush »

Wow, in my previous games I stated that I don't like that whole RVS concept
(gives people an excuse to post random, non intelligent stuff, and it was rarely fun),
but I was usually the only one complaining about it.
I don't expect total avoidance of RVS (I'm not that optimistic), but seeing some people agree with me is a nice sign.

I have one important request for everyone -
if X asks a question and directs it to Y (and you're neither of those), then please don't reply\comment before Y does.
It's quite important to hear initial reaction that X is seeking.

That being said, I agree with Aurorus - confirmations are here for a reason.
We have 3 weeks, that should be plenty of time to discuss things.

@Michel

Why did you "scold" Aurorus if Valkyrie_Hrist was the first one to suggest waiting?

@Aurorus
AurorusVox wrote:For these reasons, I will be treating the thread as essentially "locked" until we've had the
majority
of people confirming.
We had the majority of people confirming when you suggested us to wait.
You said you wanted to wait for
everyone
, and then mention the
majority
, so could you explain which one is it?
BTW, at this point, we have all 9 confirmations, so consider this thread unlocked.
Hello, Dexter Morgan
Akira
Akira
Goon
Akira
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:52 am

Post by Akira »

Guybrush, that request of yours should be a rule.

I personally don't think random voting is a good idea, but neither is not voting at all.
IMO after 3 weeks of talking, we'll probably have a good enough idea of who to vote, without resorting to "eenie meanie miney moe"
|
Town
|-|
||
|
|
Mafia
|-|
||
|
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:07 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Ah, well pointed out - I thought we were still waiting for some people to confirm. To clarify, by majority, I meant, like, at least eight of the nine people.

Guybrush speaks the truth about not answering questions aimed at other people. This was a mistake I made in my first newbie game >< (which, incidentally, didn't have RVS either!)

@Guybrush, at this stage of the game, do you prefer the same set of general questions aimed at everyone, or individual questions to each player, and why?

@Michael: After re-reading your post, I see that you suggest that I wanted town to not start discussion "at all." I hope you're joking, since it would take some very slick play on the part of a single player to stall discussion for the entire three week period of our first day. If you were joking, do you feel "joking" is beneficial to town? If you were serious, do you not feel that you're statement was rather hyperbolic?

@everyone else:
-How many games have you played on this site?
-What do you make of lurking?
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Valkyrie_Hrist
Valkyrie_Hrist
Townie
Valkyrie_Hrist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:58 am

Post by Valkyrie_Hrist »

Just for future reference, feel free to shorten my name to Valk, to save typing out the whole thing.

@Aurorus
To answer your first question, it's my first game on this site, but my sixth game overall. The site where I played my other games only had 48 hour days though, so it will feel much different not having to rush discussion, considering they started with 15+ players, making it difficult to question everybody.
In regards to your second question, it feels very much like a trick question. Lurking is, of course, terrible for the town. It would be foolish for anyone to say lurking was a good thing. It prevents proper discussion among members and is, primarily, a scum tactic. By lurking, one hopes to avoid suspicion by not posting, preventing the town from acquiring the necessary information to confirm someone as scum.
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:10 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Ah, Valk, I didn't intend it as a trick question. I'm not asking anyone to condone it, I'm simply asking what people think of it. Personally, I think lurking is a null-tell. Ideally, town shouldn't do it, but unfortunately, they do :(

Active lurking, on the other hand, is very different.
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Valkyrie_Hrist
Valkyrie_Hrist
Townie
Valkyrie_Hrist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:23 am

Post by Valkyrie_Hrist »

I've never known a townie to lurk in any of the games I've played in, but I suppose it is possible, especially for an inexperienced player who is worried about attracting suspicion. Personally, I have always thought it to be a scummy tactic and in all of the games I've played, the players who lurked, were generally scum.

Active lurking? I've never heard that term before. Could you describe it to me?
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:40 am

Post by AurorusVox »

(IC please correct me if I'm wrong!) Active lurking is, generally, when someone makes contentless posts, just to avoid the appearance of lurking. Saying things like simply "lol" and "I agree" in response to other peoples' posts is what I would consider active lurking. Some people might consider repeated promises to post (but never actually fulfilling them) as active lurking too.

Ah, in my most recently completed game, almost every player was replaced at some point due to lurking/not posting xD I've also seen a number of townies lurk in other, less extreme lurk-heavy games. I guess it depends on luck. I'd love to say "lurkers are scum" but it's rarely as clear cut or easy as that :(
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:46 am

Post by Haylen »

It is now Day One. Deadline is Sunday 1st August 9pm GMT+1. With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch. So...uh...go have fun killing people!

FTR, I don't like the scum to out themselves ect at after the lylo lynch. and I don't like dead players posting before I have said who's won ect. I thought I should let you know now, rather than be pissed off later ^_^

Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:14 am

Post by 2003041 »

To be honest, I don't fully understand why an RVS is such a bad thing to start with. Even though this is my second full game and third overall, an early RVS allows a person to defend themselves and also gives away early scum-tells. Why are we trying to stay away from this? Yes, discussion is nice, but the good discussions (one's that actually help) don't even start until after an RVS. I need a good reason not to start an RVS and I need somon to persuade me not to start one.
Show
New Game: Town 0W//1L Scum 0W//0L Power Roles: 0/1
Replacement: Town 1W//0L Scum 0W//0L Power Roles: 1/1
Work by day, Guitar Hero/Rock Band by twilight, Mafia at night. THAT, my friends, is a perfect day!!!

We need subscribers for our GH/RB team to be sponsored.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TEAML3G3NDOFFICIAL <----Subscribe here to help us.
Valkyrie_Hrist
Valkyrie_Hrist
Townie
Valkyrie_Hrist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:57 am

Post by Valkyrie_Hrist »

I find RVS to be useless because, while it does provide some discussion, it seems to mostly just be OMGUS votes in retaliation until the first person removes the vote and then the discussion stops. Of course, a professional lurker won't come out and post during RVS, even if they get voted for, because they know what they're doing. Also, you said it yourself: Good discussions don't start until after the RVS. So what is the point in even starting one.
Saying that RVS allows people to defend themselves isn't strictly true. The only defense people can come back with is: 'I'm not mafia' or 'Why are you voting for me?'. The only response to the second one is: 'RVS', making the whole thing redundant.

Thanks for the clarification Aurorus.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”