Newbie 928 (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Newbie 928 (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:52 am

Post by hohum »

You awaken to the hustle and bustle of your home town’s daily activity. Little did you know that the peaceful quiet of your normal, everyday life would come crashing down today. It seems that one of your fellow citizens has angered the Mob, and has paid for it with his life! What are you going to do? Why, you’re going to get your peaceful, little town back, that’s what…

Your job, fair citizens of the town’s Ruling Council, is to discover who among you belong to the Mafia and summarily lynch them. Two of your fellow Council members are working for the Mafia - find them before they take over the Council and the town!

General Information

Welcome to Newbie 928! Please take some time to familiarize yourself with all the rules and game literature in the 2nd post of this thread. Please remember to check back here often for updates and READ your role PMs carefully.

If you have any questions or concerns please try to post them in-topic first and let one of the ICs try to answer your question. If the ICs aren't helpful you may PM me.

The following players have fulfilled their win condition

Cove
Vanilla Townie,
, Survived
VinegarEater
Vanilla Townie,
, Survived

Chronopie
Vanilla Townie,
Lynched, D1
boberz
^
Vanilla Townie
, Killed, N1
hiphop
12Keyblade
nessarae56
^
Vanilla Townie,
Lynched, D2
Steely Gaze
theopor_COD
Vanilla Townie
, Killed, N2
Zorblag
sirdanilot
springlullaby
Vanilla Townie
, Killed, N3

indicates IC player.
The ICs are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

^
indicates semi-experienced player.
bold
indicates confirmed.

Took the "Walk of Shame"

Me=Weird
Ren
Flutter
Mafia Roleblocker
, Lynched, D3
toblerone187
Kthxbye
Mafia Goon Townie,
Lynched, D4
Last edited by hohum on Mon May 17, 2010 2:50 am, edited 24 times in total.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:53 am

Post by hohum »

Rules

The Golden Rule

1. While it is understandable that on occasion tempers may flare, please remeber that this is a game. Please
have fun
be respectful
of your fellow players and
try not to take anything personally

General Game Play and Etiquette

2. Please remember that
when you signed up for this game you made a commitment.
Be courteous to your mod and your fellow players and let us know when you are leaving for an extended period of time.
If you can't commit, it's OKAY to ASK to be replaced, but please don't make me hunt you down!

3. Please try to maintain more than the minimum standard for activity levels which is currently 1 post every 48 hours. If you go 48 hours without posting you will be prodded (as many times as necessary) and if you go 72 hours without posting you will be replaced. Exceptions will be made for low activity periods such as weekends and holidays.

4. Do not quote your role PMs or any private communication with the moderator in any way.

5. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.

6. Do not talking about this or any other ongoing games on MS outside of their respective game threads for any reason unless your role PMs specifically allow you to do so.

7. I am fallible. While I strive not to make mistakes, they do occasionally happen. Please politely correct me if you spot one.

8. Once the game is over I will post links to the QT thread. If you have an issue with this please let me know in advance.

Blue
is my color. Please don't use it.

10. Do not post small/invisible/encrypted text in this thread. Basically: if I can't read it you can't post it.

Voting and Lynching and Deadlines

11. Votes must take the form of
Vote: Player
and similarly
Unvote
. It isn't necessary to
Unvote
every time but it would be appreciated by your mod and your fellow players for clarity's sake.

12. If you need to grab my attention for any reason please throw an
@Mod: statement
in your post.

13. This game will be run with fixed 3 week deadlines for days. Night-time deadlines will always be 72 hours.

14. In the event a lynch consensus is not reached by deadline, the player with the most votes will be lynched. In the event of a tie, the player which reached the most votes first will be lynched.

15. One daytime deadline extension of up to one week may be granted at the moderator's discretion in extreme circumstances and only if activity levels aren't impairing game progress.

16. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.

17. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.

18. Whenever a player has reached a simple majority of votes he/she will be considered lynched and the game will roll over into twilight phase. Twilight will last until I post a death scene and lock the topic

19. During twilight you may talk amongst yourselves; however, no further
Vote
or [/b]Unvote[/b] will be counted. Once the hammer has dropped, it cannot be undone, so vote wisely.

20. When you are killed you are allowed 1 post which may contain no other characters, letters, words or phrases besides "Bah" and/or "Go Town." Please refrain from doing even this unless absolutely necessary.

Helpful Links:

• This game uses the F11 Setup. It consists of four variations, chosen at random:

• 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.

Sample Role PMs

The Mafia Roleblocker wrote:You are a , along with your partner _________ (who is simply a Goon). Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched.

You may talk with your partner at Night, and send me a choice via PM of who you would like to kill/roleblock (your team can do both if both of you live; if only you survive, you must choose one action or the other).

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no night actions will take place until Night One. For your convenience I have set up the following Quick Topic Thread which you may optionally use to communicate at night with your partner

The Mafia Goon wrote:You are a , along with your partner _________ Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched.

You may talk with your partner at Night, and send me a choice via PM of who you would like to kill.

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no night actions will take place until Night One. For your convenience I have set up the following Quick Topic Thread which you may optionally use to communicate at night with your partner

The Doctor wrote:You are the , and you can protect people from harm. Each Night, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the Mafia, they will live. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and try to lynch correctly during the Day.

Note: Doctors are 100% effective in Newbie Games (the person they protect will never die on the night they are protected). You may not protect yourself.

The Cop wrote:You are the , and you can tell good from bad. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day.

Note: Cops always get a correct result in Newbie Games (no sanity issues). You cannot investigate yourself.

Vanilla Townie wrote:You are a , and you've got no special powers at Night. No investigations, no protection, no gun to shoot people. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Help lynch Mafia during the Day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.
Last edited by hohum on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:36 am

Post by boberz »

Good day all. I am most definately in for this game and I look forward to playing with you all. It would appear that there are quite a few SEs.

So as a general question to kick things off, how much forum mafia have people played before (forum or f2f (face to face))???

I have 2 completed forum games both for town and both won, I have one ongoing game. I have played hundreds (possibly thousands) of f2f games and consider myself competent at that.

May I offer one bit of advice for everyone please as well: Can we not have a really slow game then a hive of activity the day or two before a deadline that will only benefit mafia. What we should do is have sustained discussion and not be afraid to end the day if we think we have found scum.
Cove
Cove
Goon
Cove
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:36 am

Post by Cove »

Confirm!
Cove
Cove
Goon
Cove
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 am

Post by Cove »

I started playing in December, finished one game here and roughly five on another site. Still getting the hang (get it?) of it.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Post by boberz »

Good to hear from you Cove.

I think cove is very suspicious for that post.

vote cove

1/ When Cove answered the question he did the minimum required. The idea of trying to stimulate discussion is to help town, if people only reply in a sentence providing little information and not searching for info on others they are not helping town. If you are not helping town you are helping scum. If you are helping scum, you are more likely to be scum.

2/ Also 6 games is not a small amount, it is a fair few. I fell this was trying to set up an excuse in advance.

3/ He did not explain what he was in his one game here, that is vital knowledge.

4/ The joke was rubbish. This means he must be very nervous, he is more likely to be nervous as scum particularly if he has not done it before, and especially if he is with another newbie playing with more experienced players.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:01 pm

Post by hohum »

Note: the game does not begin until everyone confirms. You may; however, chatter at your leisure.

Thanks.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:08 pm

Post by boberz »

I know I was just trying ot kick things off quickly (I didnt consider the fact the vote wouldnt count) I will place that vote for those reasons as soon as the game begins officially.
Chronopie
Chronopie
Mafia Scum
Chronopie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:12 pm

Post by Chronopie »

/confirm

One previous forum game (ongoing - lynched d2 - Townie)

due to it still being ongoing I'm not allowed to say any more.

You're being too hasty, chill for a min and consider. Pushing for a quick (mis)lynch is just as bad as a slow game. Tunnelling in on a player for a bad joke at this stage is silly.
Show
He's
baaa-aaack

~Chrono

League of Legends
Chronopie (30) || Greyscale Aeon (12)

Steam: Chronopie

Apathy = Vanilla [/self-meta]

Because turrets are just there to give poppy a free stun ~Rayfrost
Cove
Cove
Goon
Cove
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Post by Cove »

boberz:

Nothing wrong with being tenacious, I just felt that I had answered your question and was sorta waiting on confirmations to start my hunt (which I was figuring I'd do by voting which could not be done at the time). Here's some more info though:

- My one game here was game 899. I was townie, we lost. I messed up on my first post and had a hard time recovering. Inactivity was a problem and brings up my question at the end of this post.

- I am still getting the hang of the game, but I will never use my new-ness to garner sympathy for my actions. If I do so, or if I refer back to my first post to justify anything, please call me out on it.

- I have never been scum. Sounds so cliché, I know. I have also won every game I played off-site. Off site I was a survivor once, a vigilante once, a lover (mason, etc.) once, and vanilla townie twice.

One thing I have had a problem with, in my experience, is considerable town inactivity. It is part of the reasons we lost my one game here. I like being very active, so what I would like to know from everybody is:

- What activity level are you expecting for yourself? Are you going to be active enough to keep up daily conversation?
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Post by boberz »

Quite how I can be accused of tunelling when I have only posted once to say anything I dont know? And a bad joke was only one of 4 points. So I sense you are misrepresenting me Chronopie.

Chronopie, why do you suspect this would be a mislynch. It seems to me to be a case as good as any other this early in a day (ie before it begins).

Where do I push for a quick mislynch???

Meanwhile Cove answers the points fairl well, althought the whole thing looks like it could be used to set up excuses. I will be watching for this Cove. However the latest post contains: buddying up to me (with the tenacious comment) there is no need to do this so it seems slightly scummy to me.

If one of the two posters were to be scum I would immediately turn to the other. The reason for this is threefold:

1/ Newbies often expose themselves as partners early, chrono came out to defend cove (not overtly but by shifting attention and misrepresentation) this would be a classic case.
2/ I sensed nervousness from Cove, and this is more likely to occur with two newbies, particularly if they hadnt spoken together much considering they have both confirmed quickly this is possible.
3/ Cove more or less ignores Chrono despite Chrono's post being of direct relevance to him.

---

My activity will be high, and I will regularly call people out if they are not contributing. This will no doubt include asking them questions they have already answered and making them explain things I could probably work out for myself.

Occasionally I will be busy, particularly near 6th May, but I will do my best to be on daily. I very much doubt I will go anywhere near 72 hours.
VinegarEater
VinegarEater
Goon
VinegarEater
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Post by VinegarEater »

/confirm
VinegarEater
VinegarEater
Goon
VinegarEater
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Post by VinegarEater »

As far as mafia experience goes, I haven't played much forum mafia. (Not any, actually). However, I've played a few games of face-to-face mafia and chat mafia. In face-to-face mafia, I'm not exactly what you'd call a good actor, but since none of you will be able to see me, I might do a little better.

I don't usually support quick lynches, personally.

As for activity, I think I'll be able to post fairly often. I won't neglect the topic.

Good luck!
Chronopie
Chronopie
Mafia Scum
Chronopie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:18 pm

Post by Chronopie »

boberz wrote: I think cove is very suspicious for that post.
No justification at this point of the game

1/ When Cove answered the question he did the minimum required. The idea of trying to stimulate discussion is to help town, if people only reply in a sentence providing little information and not searching for info on others they are not helping town. If you are not helping town you are helping scum. If you are helping scum, you are more likely to be scum.
I don't see how cove's initial reply was minimal

2/ Also 6 games is not a small amount, it is a fair few. I fell this was trying to set up an excuse in advance.
Some scummer's have several hundred, so I'd consider 6 small

3/ He did not explain what he was in his one game here, that is vital knowledge.
Are you planning to meta him?

4/ The joke was rubbish. This means he must be very nervous, he is more likely to be nervous as scum particularly if he has not done it before, and especially if he is with another newbie playing with more experienced players.
Nerves is more a newb-tell or null-tell than a scum-tell
Such a comprehensive analysis of a single line seems rather tunnel to me. Building a case, and choosing to vote on it, seems like an attempt to push for a lynch. I believe that you're reading too much into a innocent statement, as an SE, this is not a good thing.

The probability at this point (of mislynch) is 7/9.

Quick lynches are not a good thing, As quick lynch = short day = less information for scum hunting.

--

Moderately active. I should be able to keep up a conversation.

--

I don't see what cove could have to say about my post, as it was directed entirely at yourself, and really had no points that cove could respond too without blatantly buddying.

I don't see the tenacious post as buddying.

Confirming quickly just has to do with the fact that I happened to be checking my emails when the role pm came in.
Show
He's
baaa-aaack

~Chrono

League of Legends
Chronopie (30) || Greyscale Aeon (12)

Steam: Chronopie

Apathy = Vanilla [/self-meta]

Because turrets are just there to give poppy a free stun ~Rayfrost
Kthxbye
Kthxbye
Mafia Scum
Kthxbye
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Post by Kthxbye »

/confirm
If you think I'm scum D1, bet all your money I'm town.
Cove
Cove
Goon
Cove
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Post by Cove »

boberz: I forgot to address the joke comment earlier, I was running out the door (also why I didn't address Chronopie's post). The joke is not indicative of any nervousness on my part. I had my short post written out and had realized I used the word hang and chuckled to myself. I decided to point it out.

I disagree with Chronopie on the fact that my original answer was minimal. I do agree, however, that 6 games is hardly a lot. Especially if they can be played over a 3 month period.

I also don't think I'd call what boberz did as tunneling, I mean how many ways are there to extract info from somebody? I got the point that he wanted more, and I gave it to him. If boberz doesn't express any concerns about other people's actions by the time we hit the end of Day 1, I'll be concerned. There's already somebody who has said something singularly more interesting than what I said, in my opinion:
VinegarEater wrote: I'm not exactly what you'd call a good actor, but since none of you will be able to see me, I might do a little better.
I didn't think townies had to act?
VinegarEater
VinegarEater
Goon
VinegarEater
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Post by VinegarEater »

I'm speaking about Mafia in general, not this particular game. You're right that Townies rarely need to act.

As for boberz, I honestly don't know why he did that. He definitely wanted information, but he could have just asked. If I had to suspect anyone right now (which I don't really), I'd probably suspect him, if only for his weird opening. Probably not a scumtell, but I don't know what it is.
Cove
Cove
Goon
Cove
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:48 am

Post by Cove »

But you specifically said "none of you" which made it feel like you were talking to us, the other players, about this game.

Kthxbye: Have any opinions on what's transpired?
VinegarEater
VinegarEater
Goon
VinegarEater
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:53 am

Post by VinegarEater »

Apologies for being vague, then.
nessarae56
nessarae56
Goon
nessarae56
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:42 am

Post by nessarae56 »

/ confirm
nessarae56
nessarae56
Goon
nessarae56
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:46 am

Post by nessarae56 »

i've been in two games so far.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:39 am

Post by boberz »

I saw vinegars sentence there as well cove, I kind of agree with you.

The problem is, any reads like that would be brilliant in a normal game, but in a newbie game I am always more wary.

I am more worried by chrono now, but I am tired, have a headache, an exam in the morning. So I will present the case properly another day.
VinegarEater
VinegarEater
Goon
VinegarEater
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Post by VinegarEater »

Boberz- What do you think of Cove, and why are you worried by Chrono?

To be honest, I'm not sure if a read like that would be so brilliant in a normal game, as it doesn't account for something important. Another thing we have to realize is that power roles do have to act (to some degree; they don't want to be found by the mafia).

Were I a power role, I would have to put some effort into not looking like one. I didn't mention this above because I didn't want any members of the mafia to associate me with power roles, but I think I should provide some rationalization now.

I'm not so worried about Chrono; he seems to make sense to me, and he's good at analysis. His post has less content than I'd expect for such a long post, but he is providing content.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:24 am

Post by boberz »

I think cove looks safish, he addressed everything from a logical standpoint. This read could well change though. However if he were to flip scum I will immediately turn to chrono.

Chrono misrepresented my case, suggesting I only had one point,that I was tunnelling and asking for a quick lynch. All three of those points are false.

I think everyone will be safe on you after your last comment vinegar, but it was really silly.

So to clarify after this: we cannot kill off vinegar, we shouldnt kill off cove, could perhaps kill off chrono. What people make of me i dont know.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:22 am

Post by hohum »

Searching for replacements for

Flutter, theopor_COD and springlullaby

Please stand by.

EDIT: