Excedrin
Excedrin
Goon
Excedrin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:49 am

Post by Excedrin »

Kmd4390 wrote:Excedrin seemed too quick to jump without having anything to add. Scum if Zito is town. Then again, he's new and Zito is probably scum, so I can see newbtown. Depends on Zito's alignment though.
Kmd4390 wrote:Zito, Porkens is probably town and Excedrin is probably town too. Who do you find scummy?
Kmd4390 wrote:There's nothing scummy about the votes on you either. Porkens clearly wanted a reaction. Excedrin is obviously a newer player and newer players tend to be either VERY opportunistic or VERY cautious.
I don't like the implications here that looks like:
1. one of Zito and Excedrin is scum
2. Porkens is probably town for wanting a reaction
3. Excedrin is noob (opportunistic scum) or town if Zito is scum

This looks like a trap because most I think that most noobs will probably say, "I'm not a noob." So, just to get it out of the way, I'm a noob to forums mafia, I've played less than 10 games. However, I've played slightly over 2500+ games on IRC with a 50% win rate.

Why isn't the part that applies to Porkens applicable to Excedrin? Why was the "Excedrin wanted a reaction" option left out?

Rising, what do you think? Does this look trappy to you or am I reaching?
Papa Zito wrote:If sarcasm = scum then game over, the whole site just lost.
More sarcasm? Please elaborate on how my 3rd vote or Porkens' 2nd vote was opportunistic. I'm fairly sure that there was zero chance of your actual lynch based only on Kmd4390's "case." If my vote was opportunistic, then were the people who didn't hop on your wagon overly cautious?

Kast, I dislike your reason for withholding your vote. In your view, would stating a top suspect have the same negative effect of allowing scum to jump on wagons and blend easier while pushing a mislynch?
Rosso Carne wrote:being unhelpful is scummy.

youre unhelpful
I'm not sure if you're unhelpful, but does being difficult to read count as being scummy?

Is this typical play (non-voting, extremely terse responses, etc) for Rosso Carne?

Anyway, it's better than Kast because Rosso at least has a stated hammah target.
Kast
Kast
tl;dr
Kast
tl;dr
tl;dr

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:56 am

Post by Kast »

@Thoughts regarding Rising then response to his recent post-
-Excedrin voted Zito for sarcasm
-Excedrin argued against the idea that townies should not place early "real" votes by claiming that scum often make mistakes early and correct their behavior later
-Rising attacked Excedrin for using a "trap"
-Multiple players tell Rising that there is no trap.
-Rising maintains his position without offering evidence or explaining how Excedrin's behavior constituted a trap. He also proposes irrelevant straw man experiments.
-Rising eventually changes his argument and claims Excedrin's original reason was not strong.

I get the feel that Rising is a townie and is capable of contributing, but can also quickly jump to conclusions without bothering to re-read or fact check. Despite seeing multiple things that could be tells, I'm not interested in voting for Rising today. I like some of his recent posts; his response to Dry-fit is pretty clear and I believe fairly captures and presents that situation.

I'm guessing that Rising completely misread the second point and misunderstood Excedrin's justification for early voting as either justification for voting Zito OR setup for future justification of votes for Zito. I think this is more likely than that he was attempting to intentionally push a straw man to get Excedrin lynched.
Rising wrote:
Kast wrote: "You may personally be incapable of catching scum tells without the benefit of hindsight. Please don't automatically assume that your limitations are true for everyone else."

Irrelevant? Nope, you brought this issue up yourself, and it was
me
who called
you
out on it. I was willing to put your statement above to the test.
You are misquoting and changing context here. You made a personal insult and called me a jerk in response to my response to your "experiment". Incidentally, you still, apparently, fail to understand that your experiment does not test anything relevant. The theory is that scum sometimes make mistakes initially but appear more pro-town as the game progresses. To test we would need to see whether the following are true:
-There are games where scum make mistakes early
--If so, then see if any of those scum appear more pro-town/less suspicious as the game progresses.
If any cases exist, then the theory is true. The theory says nothing about whether townies do the same thing, nor does it propose using this pattern of behavior as a scumtell. Your repeated explanations that it is not a valid tell are irrelevant noise. You may as well tell us that there are townies in this game. That is true but irrelevant.

That said, you seem to be upset about this quote. This quote itself is another example of me calling you out for adopting an anti-town and demeaning attitude towards other players. This is not the same "petty and childish" attitude that you display with your "experiment". Don't assume that other players are incapable of doing things just because you are incapable of doing something.
Rising wrote:
Kast wrote:I didn't call it stupid.
I didn't accuse you of calling
this particular
sentence stupid (you did that in an earlier post). I wondered why you had to be such a jerk
in this game
. If you want to provoke to get a reaction there are other, much better ways.
Please be more clear. It is misleading when you quote one phrase and then reply to an out of context word from a completely different post on a completely different subject. It is also a pretty common scum tactic (though this also is not necessarily a tell as it could simply be badposting by a townie).
Rising wrote:
Kast wrote:Your new argument against Excedrin, objecting to his claim that "sarcasm" is a scum tell is reasonable
What are you talking about? That is not my "new argument". That was just what had happened in the beginning of he game, when I wrote my first post. I therefore naturally assumed that every player had seen it, so I didn't feel the need to point it out.
This is a new argument. You never mentioned this previously as a reason for attacking Excedrin. Your previous posts only attack Excedrin for setting up a trap. Excedrin did not set up a trap so it was an invalid attack. You now attack him for having a poor reason for his initial suspicion. This is a valid reason for attacking him. Your justification for why this is not a new argument is crap-logic. Simply because the action you are attacking happened early in the game does NOT mean the argument you are making is not a new argument.
Rising wrote:And how could you possibly believe that the argument you propose would be a reasonable argument against
Excedrin?
It was
KMD
that started the bandwagon against Pipo and said that sarcasm was a scumtell (he's
still
saying it, btw). It would've been extremely scummy and completely nonsensical for a player to vote Excedrin and not KMD, if his argument was what you've just proposed.
Read more carefully. Was your new attack on Excedrin just copying other players without understanding what you were posting? You specifically state that your reason for taking offense was because his reason was not strong (it was because of "sarcasm"). Regardless of whether another player voted for the same reason that Excedrin used, you are still capable of making a case against Excedrin (which you did).

@Rosso-
I don't like your posting style. I think you could contribute a lot more to the game by sharing more. I assume you disagree. I don't really have a read on you.

@Plum-
I liked more of the earlier posts, but now Plum seems to be fizzling and looking to KMD a lot.

@Sigma-
Goodposting recently; driving conversation.

@All else-
Please post more.

@Star Control 2-
-I'm not familiar with the game. I've looked at the stuff on wikipedia. Is anyone else familiar with it?

-Are there any races that are specifically aligned with the Alliance/Hierarchy/????

-Is it public knowledge when a player is outside of a ship?
Show
T: 9/6.5/0
M: 8/2/1
O: 0/3.5/0

V/LA Pretty much all Weekends and Holidays
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:08 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Plum wrote: Not since last time you announced (just about) sure scumreads on page 3 with fairly little to base your surety on and flipped scum I don't know what to make of you (and yes, when on page four you announced in no uncertain terms that you wanted Pom lynched . . . Frankly, I've learned the hard way not to trust myself to trust you.
It's my new early-game playstyle from either alignment. Like it? :lol:
Plum wrote: And yeah, once I sorted it out Rising's reasoning for voting Dry-fit is pretty unimpressive. Hard to tell whether it's scummy or not, if, for example, Kmd would like to lay out what he sees there, I'm all ears.
Wait, what am I laying out?
Kast wrote: @KMD-
I'm not sure why you read me as obv-town. You've called me that in at least two other games we've played (I was town in both and you were town in one and scum in the other). The game where you were town, I could understand why you called me obvtown. The game where you were scum, I didn't see why you as a townie would call me obvtown, but I accepted your support nonetheless. I'll accept it again here, but I'd like to hear your reasons.
*shrug*. Now that I think about it, you always
do
seem obvtown. Must be a playstyle thing...
Dry-fit wrote: Do you really think Kmd was being serious? Kmd himself has stated he was not.
I didn't say that. Yeah, I was after reactions. Doesn't mean I wasn't being serious.
Rising wrote: And how could you possibly believe that the argument you propose would be a reasonable argument against
Excedrin?
It was
KMD
that started the bandwagon against Pipo and said that sarcasm was a scumtell (he's
still
saying it, btw). It would've been extremely scummy and completely nonsensical for a player to vote Excedrin and not KMD, if his argument was what you've just proposed.
I'm not saying sarcasm is a universal tell. Not even close. I'm saying that Zito's specific sarcastic response in THIS GAME and only THIS GAME is scummy. The rest of your post is filled with strawmans, exaggerations, and reaching.
Locke Lamora wrote: Or you don't really think his sarcasm is scummy, you were just doing it to get a reaction.
Actually, I both thought it was a little scummy at first AND wanted a bit more of a reaction. When it began to escalate, I concluded that it was scummier.
Locke Lamora wrote:Thanks. I'm very proud of it.

I'm dubious of KMD. I know that his confident "Zito's scum" stance was probably to get a rise out of Zito as much as anything but I think he's then used whatever he can get from Zito's reaction to make him look scummy. That's why I challenged him on the sarcasm comment; it just looked like point-scoring to make Zito look bad, dropping one of his earlier points against Zito in the process which indicates to me that he never really thought it was scummy in the first place. Now that I think about it, I'm going to go ahead and:

Vote: KMD

Do you stand by your statement that Zito's "Me?!? Nooo" style reaction is scummy?
His sarcastic response was scummy. Not as scummy as Rising though. Doing "whatever I can" to make Zito look scummy is a misrep. Hell, I'm not even voting the guy right now.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:10 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Excedrin, I didn't mean you were scum because you are a newer player. I said that newer players are expected to be a bit opportunistic regardless. If Zito is scum, the opportunistic vote is actually a towntell on your part.
sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:22 am

Post by sigma »

@Kast:

Star Control 2 questions...

I've played it. Porkens and Zito obviously have too, given their avatars. You should play it, it kicks ass. That wiki article you looked at has details on ports for modern systems.

As far as races go... well, Ur-Quan in all forms are definitely bad (i.e. Hierarchy.) Other races could be tough to determine as far as alignment for this game of mafia. In the game SC2, you play as a human. Some races attack you on sight because they're allied with the Ur-Quan, some races attack you because you're human, and some races are allied with the Hierarchy but become allied with you as a result of your actions in-game. Whether those races are scum for our purposes is probably unclear.

That said, I'm not sure I want to start naming specific races as examples. Why exactly do you want to know? Did SpyreX not give you a safe-claim? [/loaded question]
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:26 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

So Star Control is a game. Ok. Cool.

(Not-so-subtle-hint about my experience with the theme)
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:19 am

Post by Papa Zito »

Kast wrote:-Are there any races that are specifically aligned with the Alliance/Hierarchy/????
Hmm. Some of this will depend on the year.

@Mod: What year is it?

Guaranteed Alliance

Arilou - Human allies
Chenjesu - Alliance leaders; slave shielded after war
Chmrr - Genetic fusion of Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm
Earthling - Joined Alliance late; slave shielded after war; heroes of SC2
Mmrnmhrm - Allied with Chenjesu; slave shielded after war
Shofixti - Uplifted by Yehat, didn't survive war
Syreen - Alliance member; slave shielded after war

Guaranteed Hierarchy

Androsynth - Joined Hierarchy as battle thralls as revenge against humans; were wiped out by Orz after war
Ilwrath - Original Hierarchy member
Kzer-Za - leaders of the Hierarchy
Mycon - Original Hierarchy member; very erratic though
Vux - Original Hierarchy member

Guaranteed 3rd Parties

Druuge - Space pirate coporating things (unfriendly)
Melnorme - Merchant race (friendly)
Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah - Obv serial killer role if they exist here

????

Orz - They start as a neutral party then join the Earthlings, so depends on the year. They're unpredictable though.
Pkunk - Allies with Earthlings post-war. If they're here they're very likely town.
Supox - Join Earthlings after the war. Same as Pkunk.
Thraddash - Conquered early in SC2 and joined as battle thralls. Likely scum if present.
Umgah - Technically Hierarchy but they're pretty uncontrollable so could be 3rd party
Utwig - See Pkunk
Yehat - Depends on the year. Original backbone race of the Alliance but they join the Hierarchy after the war
Zoq-Fot-Pik - See Pkunk.

I mention "the war" - Star Control I was a strategy game between the Alliance and the Hierarchy. In Star Control II the Hierarchy has won the war and you play a human who is leading an uprising against the Hierarchy. If our year is during the war then a lot of the ???? races will be neutrals; if after then they'll be as marked.

Not including the Star Control III races here (Hegemonic Crux, etc) because I don't think the game is big enough for 2 scum groups. If the year comes back later than I think it will I'll revise this to include them.

BTW, I looked it up and Zeta Sextantis has one of the Rainbow Worlds.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:21 am

Post by Papa Zito »

Excedrin wrote:More sarcasm? Please elaborate on how my 3rd vote or Porkens' 2nd vote was opportunistic. I'm fairly sure that there was zero chance of your actual lynch based only on Kmd4390's "case." If my vote was opportunistic, then were the people who didn't hop on your wagon overly cautious?
Yes, more sarcasm. How did my meta research turn out, BTW? Because I'm going to assume that, if you're going to vote someone because of the way they're posting, then you've done the research to back that up amirite?

I wouldn't call them overly cautious. I'd call them observant enough to avoid a crap wagon.
Kappa
Just Monika
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:23 am

Post by Papa Zito »

gogogo triple post

I forgot to put the Spathi up in the ???? category - They switch sides during SCII, so again it'll depend on the year. If early, they're Hierarchy, if late, they're Alliance.
Kappa
Just Monika
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:33 am

Post by SpyreX »

This game is set during the events of Star Control II. Having a specific year would be a nice thing and I'm decidedly against nice things.

Mentioning SC III, hereby known as the game that should not be mentioned, will raise my ire. :twisted:
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:37 am

Post by Papa Zito »

SpyreX wrote:
This game is set during the events of Star Control II. Having a specific year would be a nice thing and I'm decidedly against nice things.

Mentioning SC III, hereby known as the game that should not be mentioned, will raise my ire. :twisted:
Lawl. It wasn't
that
bad.

If during SC II then we can safely put the Thraddash as Hierarchy. Yehat is still a tossup since they switch sides again during the game back to Alliance. Dunno about the others.
Kappa
Just Monika
sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:43 am

Post by sigma »

:shock:

Wowsers. I bow down to your SC2 knowledge.

I seriously need to play that game again.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:55 am

Post by Papa Zito »

sigma wrote::shock:

Wowsers. I bow down to your SC2 knowledge.

I seriously need to play that game again.
It's one of my all-time favorites. You kids can keep your damn Halo.

I can provide a quick synopsis of SC history if anyone cares.

Prolly last post until Saturday unless I get really lucky while I'm gone.
Kappa
Just Monika
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:58 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Let me know when we start playing mafia again.
Kast
Kast
tl;dr
Kast
tl;dr
tl;dr

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:30 am

Post by Kast »

@Sigma/Zito-
Thanks for the info.

@Mod-
If a player is outside of a ship, is that public knowledge?

@Sigma-
That said, I'm not sure I want to start naming specific races as examples. Why exactly do you want to know? Did SpyreX not give you a safe-claim?
I don't like this, it sounds insincere. My first guesses are that either you were being too lazy to list races OR you were trying to subtly fish while disguising it as humor.

I agree that some thematic information can potentially reveal information about a player's own role or help scum in developing claims. But often sharing thematic information can help players less familiar with the source in evaluating other posts (particularly claims). In this instance, asking if any player(s) can list slightly obscure but publicly available objective information about the races in the SC2 game doesn't fall into that category.

To be fair, I don't have any immediate, publicly known reasons to request information about the different races. I think it will definitely be helpful in the long run. I see no pressing need to share any private reasons (there might not be any).
Show

sigma
sigma
Goon
sigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:47 am

Post by sigma »

To do more then I did would have required research, so chalk it off to laziness if you want.

It was a sincere request, though; I wanted to know your reasons for asking, since probably the only reason we'll need the info is for evaluating claims. It sounds like your reason was idle curiosity, which is fair enough, I suppose.
Rising
Rising
Goon
Rising
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:59 am

Post by Rising »

KMD wrote:Excedrin seemed too quick to jump without having anything to add. Scum if Zito is town. Then again, he's new and Zito is probably scum, so I can see newbtown"
Excedrin wrote:This looks like a trap because most I think that most noobs will probably say, "I'm not a noob." [...] Rising, what do you think? Does this look trappy to you or am I reaching?
It could be a trap, I guess, but my biggest concern is that I don't know what KMD is talking about. He says that you "seemed too quick to jump without having anything to add", but unlike Porkens, you actually
did
have something to add. So this makes no sense to me.

---
Kast wrote:Rising maintains his position without offering evidence or explaining how Excedrin's behavior constituted a trap.[...]Rising eventually changes his argument and claims Excedrin's original reason was not strong.
Let's have a look at my post #58 - which you think is where I changed my argument.

You are apparently focusing on this sentence "But when all you've got is a person that didn't post a vote in his first post, and responded with a sarcasm when attacked for it, then it's a completely different issue." This is not my case against Excedrin
at all
(and why should it be? Excedrin didn't start the wagon against Papa Zito.
KMD
did.)

I wrote the sentence above to correct Plum, and to let her know that what she said had nothing to do about my case against Excedrin. The next sentence of my post reads: "I don't think what you just wrote applies to this case - or anything that I've written (or at least what I meant by it)
at all.
"

There you have it. What you're calling a changed argument isn't an argument against Excedrin
at all

This
is (later in that post):

"There's a huge difference between:
1. "Hmm... I've noticed scum do this before." - Perfectly reasonable for a pro-town scumhunter.
and
2. "Hmm... I've noticed scum do this before, and they always come up with a good explanation afterwards, managing to explain away and fix their scummy behavior. " - why did this person add that last part? That wasn't necessary for pointing out the scumtell. This sets off my alarm, because scum have a tendency to go ahead of themselves, like proposing chain lynches (another scumtell I believe in)."

And
that
is where I explain my original - my one and only - argument against Excedrin. The thing that I call a "screwed if you do, screwed if you don't"-trap. You claim that I've never explained my argument, but that is simply not the case.
Kast wrote:You made a personal insult and called me a jerk
*Slap forehead* Dude! You can
not
be serious!

You said that I was "justifying a stupid vote", "You may personally be incapable of catching scum tells without the benefit of hindsight. Please don't automatically assume that your limitations are true for everyone else." and that my attempts were "petty and childish". You are
completely
disqualified from playing the martyr card.

You
have
been a textbook jerk, and did a pretty good job at sucking all my enjoyment out of this game back on page two. For a while I even considered leaving the game cold to get myself modkilled.

But ok, for what it's worth; if you
were
insulted by my post - as I've been insulted by yours, I'm sincerely sorry. Usually, when I play, I sound like you; I call people's posts stupid, naïve, childish and whatnot. I can be a real asshole. But I've come to realize that it's actually pretty mean and that it doesn't belong in a game that is supposed to be fun and exciting.

So. Friends?
Kast wrote:The theory is that scum sometimes make mistakes initially but appear more pro-town as the game progresses [...] The theory says nothing about whether townies do the same thing
If the theory doesn't say that scum does this
more often than town players
, then it lacks merit for scumhunting. All it says, then, is that "PLAYERS sometimes make mistakes initially but blah blah", and what would be the point of that?
Kast wrote:Your repeated explanations that it is not a valid tell are irrelevant noise. You may as well tell us that there are townies in this game.
What?
2. "There are townies in the game" (or some other nonsense)
does not follow logically from
1. "I doubt that X is a valid tell", does it?

"Is X a valid scumtell?" -
that
is an important question - it is relevant to the game.
"Is X something that scum does sometimes, and maybe townplayers too?" Isn't. As an example; a lot of scum begins the game by typing "/confirm" in their first post. This can easily be tested using your proposed experiment. But what does it imply?
Kast wrote:-I'm not familiar with the game. I've looked at the stuff on wikipedia. Is anyone else familiar with it?
I've read a lot about it, but only played it for a day or two. Pretty fun. I have only met a few other species, though.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Rising, I trapped him by saying he is town?
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Post by Plum »

Kast: My deepest apologies; I had some sort of brainblock last night and realized I was thinking of you and referring to you as Kise for no reason I can discern. I must have forgotten to check over my post and make sure I didn't make an embarrassing mistake :oops:. Whether or not you be scum you deserve an attack and vote which calls you by your actual username.
Unvote; Vote: Kast
to put my vote back where I intended to have it. Now to address your response to my attack:
Kast wrote:-To paraphrase your argument, you admit that I am scumhunting and have raised several valid points, however, you object to my failure to vote based on any of the things I have raised. Is this an accurate summary of your reason for voting "Kise"?

I'll vote when I'm ready to vote; either if I find a player I am willing to lynch or if I feel my vote would help to elicit a response/reaction.

-I don't think it helps to give scum lots of easy wagons to jump aboard. Voting for each and every potential tell just lets scum blend easier while pushing a mislynch without getting any heat for doing so.
I was more concerned with your willingness to throw around accusatory terms without showing clearly how scummy you think players are in relation to one another &c. Engaging in the game - or pretending too (lots of theory argument from you was part of what worried me) can be used as a scum tactic, and I have caught scum that way. It's a more reliable tell as the game wears on, however, so your case isn't egregious. Furthermore the way you put it makes me feel that this is a playstyle thing of yours and not, in your case in this case a tell much in wither direction. I disagree with you in theory terms, but I'll leave that for a different time. I continue to be frustrated, however, by the amount of time and dense verbage you're devoting to Rising. . . . You conclude that it's more likely he's Town and screwed up somewhere along the line but pend a good few long paragraphs afterwards hashing everything up clearly. I used to do that sometimes (I remember one specific case - and for the record I was a Townie there) but I would urge you to weigh the benefits against the downsides of continuing on that path in this game with things that you think do not indicate scumhood.

Unvote

^^Pending - could you link me to a game or two where you take this stance so I can confirm that this is a theory disagreement and not a scum excuse? Call it quality control. Thanks.

@Rosso Carne
- care to tell us what you did mean?

What I can make out through the dense discussion on who said and meant what when, I will say that Rising, Kmd made it clear that he was not
sure
Zito was scum, only that he continued to look
scummy
. Considering the way you attempt to use italics to prove your point when it's not the case and obviously so - and furthermore if you thought Kmd were sure that Zito was scum you'd have a much more pressing concern, that being if so, why was/is he not currently voting Zito?

Also #38 is a perfectly logical continuation of #33, I dunno what you're on - "Kmd, don't you think that it's a little early to convince others that you've found scum when you can't possibly be sure someone's scum and should instead be generating discussion, not pushing a final lynch target?"

Kmd4390 wrote:
Plum wrote:Not since last time you announced (just about) sure scumreads on page 3 with fairly little to base your surety on and flipped scum I don't know what to make of you (and yes, when on page four you announced in no uncertain terms that you wanted Pom lynched . . . Frankly, I've learned the hard way not to trust myself to trust you.
It's my new early-game playstyle from either alignment. Like it? :lol:
Not in particular. Sorry to burst your bubble. What I was asking for was elaboration on your take on Rising's Dry-fit vote.

@Excedrin:
Yes this is not atypical Rosso Carne play as far as I can recall. I believe he only places hammer votes as any alignment. Possibly not ideal play but not indicative of scumhood.

Flavor postage is generally useful, as someone who's never played the game (I was a little faster than Kmd and realized it
was
a game, though, so).

Rising and Kast, insulting each other is
really
pointless and counterproductive, and arguing over who was worse doubly so. Rising seems to have made an effort ot end that and I say good riddance to bad rubbish.

Speaking of voting or not -
Papa Zito wrote:
Kmd4390 wrote:Again, who do you think is scum?
Again, one of Porkens or Excedrin is very likely scum due to opportunistic voting.
And no vote on them? The fact that he insists getting on his own bandwagon early was opportunistic and scummy (and that not doing so was a towntell) is pushing BS.

Vote: Papa Zito
Kast
Kast
tl;dr
Kast
tl;dr
tl;dr

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Post by Kast »

@Plum-
-Yes, I do get easily sidetracked in non-essential arguments. I don't think it detracts from me looking at other players.

-I'm not clear on what specifically you are looking for in my other games. I think I play fairly similarly as town or scum. It sounds like you want to see some examples of my town play to determine Kast-as-townie also engaged in the behavior that you dislike in my current play style?

I haven't actually completed many games as town here on mafiascum...you can look up an ongoing where I am already dead as another example of my play as town.

Betrayal
Open, Party!

@Rising-
Rising wrote:
Kast wrote:Rising maintains his position without offering evidence or explaining how Excedrin's behavior constituted a trap.[...]Rising eventually changes his argument and claims Excedrin's original reason was not strong.
Let's have a look at my post #58 - which you think is where I changed my argument.

You are apparently focusing on this sentence "But when all you've got is a person that didn't post a vote in his first post, and responded with a sarcasm when attacked for it, then it's a completely different issue." This is not my case against Excedrin
at all
(and why should it be? Excedrin didn't start the wagon against Papa Zito.
KMD
did.)

I wrote the sentence above to correct Plum, and to let her know that what she said had nothing to do about my case against Excedrin. The next sentence of my post reads: "I don't think what you just wrote applies to this case - or anything that I've written (or at least what I meant by it)
at all.
"

There you have it. What you're calling a changed argument isn't an argument against Excedrin
at all
-You are wrong. Plum posted that your trap argument is fallacious and that Excedrin was simply voting on a strong scumtell. You said that nothing would be wrong with what Excedrin did if he had a strong tell. However, you call Excedrin's tells weak and dismiss Plum's post. Your post does not refer to KMD directly OR indirectly. But we can examine the actual post instead of looking at isolated snippets and trying to spin new meanings on them:
Rising arguing that Excedrin used weak scum tells wrote:If this was a case of a really strong scumtell - an actual "mistake" - then of course I would've been fine with it. "Ouch. You did something really bad there, buddy. There's just no way for you to talk yourself out of this mess, I'm sorry. You're definitely the lynch for today." Nothing wrong with that. But when all you've got is a person that didn't post a vote in his first post, and responded with a sarcasm when attacked for it, then it's a completely different issue. I don't think what you just wrote applies to this case - or anything that I've written (or at least what I meant by it) at all.
-You say that IF Excedrin had a strong case, then it would be okay to make post 39. However, you say his case was not strong, and conclude that Plum's argument, which assumes a strong scum tell, does not apply to this case which does not have a strong scum tell.

You clearly state that you "would've been fine with it" if it were a strong case. KMD has not posted anything that would require a strong scumtell for you to excuse, whereas Excedrin has. Plum specifically named Excedrin, and your response is directly aimed to Plum's post. This is clearly about Excedrin and not KMD.
Rising wrote:
This
is (later in that post):

"There's a huge difference between:
1. "Hmm... I've noticed scum do this before." - Perfectly reasonable for a pro-town scumhunter.
and
2. "Hmm... I've noticed scum do this before, and they always come up with a good explanation afterwards, managing to explain away and fix their scummy behavior. " - why did this person add that last part? That wasn't necessary for pointing out the scumtell. This sets off my alarm, because scum have a tendency to go ahead of themselves, like proposing chain lynches (another scumtell I believe in)."

And
that
is where I explain my original - my one and only - argument against Excedrin. The thing that I call a "screwed if you do, screwed if you don't"-trap. You claim that I've never explained my argument, but that is simply not the case.
Excedrin did not do 2. Your original - first of two - argument against Excedrin fails due to this. You have never once attempted to show that Excedrin did this, despite other players telling you repeatedly. THIS is my point. You explain repeatedly that a player who did this is scum and repeatedly state that Excedrin did this. HOWEVER, you completely avoid showing that.

-You explained that the trap, as you described it, would be scummy. Nobody disputes this. You STILL have not explained how Excedrin's post fits the bill of the trap that you described.
Rising wrote:
Kast wrote:You made a personal insult and called me a jerk
*Slap forehead* Dude! You can
not
be serious!

You said that I was "justifying a stupid vote", "You may personally be incapable of catching scum tells without the benefit of hindsight. Please don't automatically assume that your limitations are true for everyone else." and that my attempts were "petty and childish". You are
completely
disqualified from playing the martyr card.
You are the one trying to play the martyr card. Since you have fallaciously done so, I have pointed out your error.

Your vote against Excedrin was a stupid vote. That's not a personal attack, nor does it say anything about you personally. The vote is baseless, senseless, irrational, illogical,...call it what you will.

The latter isn't an insult. You insinuated that nobody is capable of finding scum tell without the benefit of hindsight. I ask you to keep such a blanket generalization to yourself instead of assuming it of everyone else.

If it's not clear, those were not meant to offend you personally. If you were offended, my apologies. If it's not clear, I'm not going to completely change my posting style simply because you are easily offended. If you play poorly, I'll call you on it. If you get upset, that's kinda tough.
Rising wrote:You
have
been a textbook jerk, and did a pretty good job at sucking all my enjoyment out of this game back on page two. For a while I even considered leaving the game cold to get myself modkilled.
This is playing the martyr card again. If you don't enjoy and want to get out, then do so. Please don't whine about thinking about doing something.
Rising wrote:But ok, for what it's worth; if you
were
insulted by my post - as I've been insulted by yours, I'm sincerely sorry. Usually, when I play, I sound like you; I call people's posts stupid, naïve, childish and whatnot. I can be a real asshole. But I've come to realize that it's actually pretty mean and that it doesn't belong in a game that is supposed to be fun and exciting.
If I think your behavior is inappropriate to the game, I'll tell you. If you think the same for me, return the favor. I agree with your sentiment; the game doesn't need people to be assholes to be enjoyable. I disagree that I have been an asshole to you, and I think you are too sensitive.
Rising wrote:So. Friends?
Sure.
Rising wrote:
Kast wrote:The theory is that scum sometimes make mistakes initially but appear more pro-town as the game progresses [...] The theory says nothing about whether townies do the same thing
If the theory doesn't say that scum does this
more often than town players
, then it lacks merit for scumhunting. All it says, then, is that "PLAYERS sometimes make mistakes initially but blah blah", and what would be the point of that?
False. The statement is that "SCUM sometimes make one mistake initially and do not make any more mistakes" which counters the argument that "real votes should only be placed on players who make multiple mistakes".

Further, a tool, theory, approach to scum-hunting does not necessarily need to show that scum engage in a behavior more often than town players.
Rising wrote:
Kast wrote:Your repeated explanations that it is not a valid tell are irrelevant noise. You may as well tell us that there are townies in this game.
What?
2. "There are townies in the game" (or some other nonsense)
does not follow logically from
1. "I doubt that X is a valid tell", does it?

"Is X a valid scumtell?" -
that
is an important question - it is relevant to the game.
"Is X something that scum does sometimes, and maybe townplayers too?" Isn't. As an example; a lot of scum begins the game by typing "/confirm" in their first post. This can easily be tested using your proposed experiment. But what does it imply?
(1)-Statement 1 is true.
(2)-Statement 2 is not a tell.
(3)-Player A says Statement 1.
(4)-Player B says Statement 2 is not a tell.
(5)-Player B says that Player A says Statement 2 is a tell.
(6)-Player B calls Player A scum for (5).

Player A is Excedrin.
Player B is Rising.
Statement 1 is "Scum sometimes make a mistake initially but appear pro-town for the remainder of the game (and thus do not make any more mistakes)"
Statement 2 is "Players who make a mistake initially but appear pro-town later are more likely to be scum than town"

Statement 2 is NOT equivalent to Statement 1. It is irrelevant. You could equivalently replace it with any statement that is not a tell (such as the statement "There are townies in this game"). Unless you replace it with Statement 1, then it fails because Player A did not say Statement 2. If you replace it with Statement 1, your argument still fails since Player A did not say that Statement 1 was a tell.
Rising wrote:
Kast wrote:-I'm not familiar with the game. I've looked at the stuff on wikipedia. Is anyone else familiar with it?
I've read a lot about it, but only played it for a day or two. Pretty fun. I have only met a few other species, though.
I'll probably look into it this weekend.
Show

Excedrin
Excedrin
Goon
Excedrin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Post by Excedrin »

Somewhat offtopic:
I played SC1 forever ago and picked up SC2 based on joining this game. But I'm horrible, I can kill Ur-Quan dreadnaughts in 3 shots, but because I took so long gathering minerals/bio data to buff my ship (while ignoring plot related stuff), some of the races are dead so I never met the bird looking guys and therefore probably can't beat the fight vs the space station... Soooo yea, need to start over.

Back on topic:
I haven't seen opportunism described as a town tell; if it's meant that way then Kmd4390 "trap" idea goes away. I don't think that Papa Zito means it that way, but he didn't propose the option between A) opportunistic noob and B) town if Zito is scum.
Papa Zito wrote:Yes, more sarcasm. How did my meta research turn out, BTW? Because I'm going to assume that, if you're going to vote someone because of the way they're posting, then you've done the research to back that up amirite?

I wouldn't call them overly cautious. I'd call them observant enough to avoid a crap wagon.
Did I say somewhere that I was voting you based on meta? My comment about meta was an example of a case where scum could be identified based on an early post, I said nothing about using meta to justify my Papa Zito vote or that I thought meta could frequently catch scum based on early posts. FTR, I voted you mainly for reaction. Am I correct that you view opportunism as scummy (in contrast with Kmd4390) in this instance?

Anyway, to address your question, no, I obviously haven't read any Papa Zito games in order to establish a meta and I don't believe it was necessary to vote when I did for the reason I did. But, I'm not opposed to the idea of reading other games, it can only help right?

General question for anyone, is there an easy way to find a list of games that someone's played (preferably completed games)?
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Plum, I think Rising realized he had a bad vote out and was looking for somewhere to put it and found Dry-fit.
Rising
Rising
Goon
Rising
Goon
Goon

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Post by Rising »

Kmd4390 wrote:Rising, I trapped him by saying he is town?
No, that's not what Excedrin said. Read it again.
Plum wrote:I will say that Rising, Kmd made it clear that he was not sure Zito was scum
What is this a reply to?

I took for granted that KMD's wagon against Papa Zito was just his way of instigating to get the game going. I've explained this already, like in my 4th post: "Now; in my opinion, I believe that KMD was just instigating (it was definitely a reach, but it helped the game in my opinion, so I won't hold that against him)"

But KMD
did
wrote "Yep. You're scum. I'm sure of it", so Sigma was perfectly right when he wrote "Don't you think it's a little early to start convincing players that you've found scum?"
Plum wrote:Considering the way you attempt to use italics to prove your point [/plum]

I use italics because I don't think I'm very good at expressing myself in english (I know my grammar sucks, btw, and I'm sorry if it makes my posts painful to read). Italics (or capital letters) is an easy way for me to get my points through even when I can't find the right way to express myself, or to compensate for my limited vocabulary. It's a lot easier to just pronounce the important words in every sentence. But I'll stop it right away if you think it's distracting.
Plum wrote:Also #38 is a perfectly logical continuation of #33
Well... hmm... ok, I can understand how you look at it.

I still think it's a huge difference between "whoa, you're getting ahead of yourself, buddy" and "you're trying to convince others to vote for your lynch target", but I have to admit it's not really a clear-cut case.
Rising
Rising
Goon
Rising
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:00 am

Post by Rising »

Kast wrote:Your vote against Excedrin was a stupid vote. That's not a personal attack, nor does it say anything about you personally
Isn't that a playground argument? "Everything you say and do is stupid, retarded, ugly and gay. Hey, I haven't said anything about you
personally
."

But ok, if you think there's a significant difference between "Your argument is stupid" and "You're stupid, and you argue as such", then I'm just going to drop it, knowing that your intentions were better than I interpreted them.

Kast wrote:You clearly state that you "would've been fine with it" if it were a strong case. KMD has not posted anything that would require a strong scumtell for you to excuse, whereas Excedrin has. [...] This is clearly about Excedrin and not KMD
KMD and Excedrin (and Porkens) had
the same
case against Papa Zito:

KMD: "Yep. You're scum. I'm sure of it. Your defense of "OMG really?!? Me?!? Nooo" reinforces this."
Excedrin: "Papa Zito. His sarcastic response seems pretty scummy to me. Easy game indeed."

This is about that particular case, so we cannot discuss this whitout including both KMD and Excedrin (we shouldn't leave out Porkens either). Here are the important points:

1. Is this argument a valid scumtell? I think not. Some people have argued over this (you and I have done it a lot, Sigma and Dry-fit has done so also).

2. Is this argument so bad that it *is* a scumtell in itself? This is apparently "my new argument" against Excedrin, as some of you have suggested. But as I've explained, this makes no sense, since it would've been logical for me to vote for
KMD
if that what was I thought. Excedrin didn't start this case against Papa Zito; KMD did.

3. Did someone on this wagon push for an early lynch? Did someone appear lynch-hungry? Yeah, I thought that Excedrin did. He came in third place on the wagon, and - unlike KMD and Porkens - he didn't appear to me like he was just instigating in order to get a response. I got the feeling that he was actually serious about it, justifying and over-explaining the notable weak case on Papa. When he wrote "I find that scum sometimes does something really obvious at the start of a game and then gradually appears more and more town as the game progresses because they explain away and fix their scummy behavior. " he did what
I
(and other players I know) call a "trap"; that's when you take what would otherwise be a natural and helpful reaction for a townplayer and make it look like something suspicious, in advance. It seems like you guys have another usage of the word "trap", and I'm sorry if this has led to confusion, but
whatever you want to call this
, it struck me as a hope for an early lynch. And that seemed scummy to me. Enough so that I voted for him and tried to pressure him a bit.

Point 3 have been my one and only case against Excedrin for the whole time that I was voting for him. When he finally answered, however, he did so in a manner that gave me a good vibe.
Kast wrote:Excedrin did not do 2.
I believe he did, and I
have
explained this thoroughly. If you have another opinion, that's fine, but my explanations are easy to find.
Kast wrote:"The statement is that "SCUM sometimes make one mistake initially and do not make any more mistakes" which counters the argument that "real votes should only be placed on players who make multiple mistakes"."
I don't think that anyone has proposed that "real votes should only be placed on players who make multiple mistakes". Excedrin wrote "If you're saying that scum has to be proven by a case that includes multiple points, then I disagree." in #39, but that was a straw man of Sigma's post #38.

So, who are you debating? If you remember, I have personally agreed with this general statement right from the beginning. This is what I responded to you when you first brought this up: "I actually agree with Excedrin that "scum sometimes does something really obvious at the start of a game and then gradually appears more and more town"". I just disagreed that it was a viable way of scumhunting, and that a pro-town player therefore had no business in explaining this general statement of the game when he put his vote.

It seems to me like you're upset that I proposed an experiment of my own, to test whether or not it
could
be said to be a valid way to hunt scum. You had not suggested that it would, so I can understand why you thought I was off topic at the time. Truth is; I was already through with your topic (I agreed with it, so why should I continue arguing it?) and had moved on.

So, where does that lead us? Do
you
think Papa Zito is a scum that has made an early mistake? Or do you think that Sigma (who wrote "Anyone who says that they're sure that they've found scum on page 2 is lying -- or possibly scum trying to look like the stereotypical aggressive pro-town player.") is not only wrong, but possibly scum? Or am I scum, for stubbornly debating this topic with you for the last three pages, when I already agreed with you? Where
did
you want to go with this?
Kast wrote:"Statement 2 is "Players who make a mistake initially but appear pro-town later are more likely to be scum than town"
That wasn't my statement. (I liked this whole segment of your post, though. It helped a lot for me to understand how you've percieved things in the past)

From "Scum sometimes make a mistake initially but appear pro-town for the remainder of the game (and thus do not make any more mistakes)" you can derive that "(even) if Papa is scum, he might appear pro-town for the remainder of the game". That follows logically, and is not a straw man in any sense of the word.

So I said: "So if Papa comes up with a valid and sensible explanation, that would actually reinforce your opinion that he is scum?" If I could re-do it today, I would probably have said "So what if Papa comes up with a valid and sensible explanation? Would that change anything? Could it even reinforce your opinion that he is scum?" instead. But I'm still happy with my original argument.

It's the "screwed if you do, screwed if you don't"-trap that was my main point:

If Papa Zito
doesn't
come up with a valid and sensible explanation, he will of course remain looking like scum. But if he
does
come up with a valid and sensible explanation, he fits right into Excedrins proposed scenario of a likely scum-behaviour.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”