Newbie 817 (Game over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 817 (Game over!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:21 am

Post by Elmo »

Status
: Game over!
Deadline
: None.

The Living
(2)
  • Starbuck
    (Replaced
    Halidon
    on Day 1),
    Mafia Goon

• Zorblag
    (IC) (Replaced
    Vel-Rahn Koon
    (IC) on Day 3),
    Mafia Roleblocker
The Dead
(7)
  • Maemuki
    Vanilla Townie
    , Lynched on Day 1.
  • iamausername
    (SE),
    Vanilla Townie
    , Killed on Night 1.
  • hiphop
    (Replaced
    BagSquad
    on Day 1),
    Vanilla Townie
    , Lynched on Day 2.
  • Petunho
    (Replaced
    jeromus
    on Day 1),
    Vanilla Townie
    , Killed on Night 2.
  • startransmission
    (SE),
    Vanilla Townie
    , Lynched on Day 3.
  • crazypianist1116
    Vanilla Townie
    , Endgamed on Day 3.
  • DarkLightA
    (Replaced
    bouchedufou
    on Day 3),
    Vanilla Townie
    , Endgamed on Day 3.
The Inexperience Challenged (IC) players are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.
The Semi-experienced (SE) players have a level of experience somewhere between a newbie and an IC.
Last edited by Elmo on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:08 am, edited 13 times in total.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:01 am

Post by Elmo »

General Rules
  • This is a game; have fun, or else!
  • If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a private message (PM).
  • Bandwagon to victory.
Flow of the Game
  • Everyone is randomly assigned their role, sent their role PM, and confirms they understand it. Mafia may talk before everyone has confirmed.
  • The game starts in daytime. Each day, you may vote to lynch someone with
    vote mith
    . You can
    unvote
    to vote for no-one; you don't need to do that to move your vote. If you want to end the day without lynching anyone,
    vote no lynch
    . To help me, please use
    bold text
    ->
    bold text
    for voting and unvoting; I'll count your vote if it's bolded and unambiguous.
  • I will regularly post a tally of who is voting who. If
    at any time
    a majority (more than half) of the players are voting for the same person, they will be lynched, and night will fall. Unvoting won't change anything.
  • Each day will have a deadline of 3 weeks. If deadline hits, the day will end with no lynch - learn to compromise, folks. Extensions of one week will only be given in extreme circumstances™.
  • The time between the lynching vote and the lynch scene being posted is twilight. You can all talk about anything in twilight.
  • If I've posted your death scene, you're dead. Don't post anything until the game is finished.
  • At night, the mafia may talk to each other. Anyone with a night action needs to PM me their choice; vanilla townies twiddle their thumbs. If you do not send me a choice by the deadline, I'll choose randomly for you. Cops will not investigate someone they have previously investigated.
  • Night ends, and the next day dawns.
Gameplay
  • Attempts to game the system in some way will be met with nuclear weapons.
  • Unless you are night-talking with your mafia partner, do not discuss this game with
    anyone
    outside this thread!
  • Please try to post at least every 72 hours, and please inform me if you will be away for longer. If don't, I will prod you; If you don't respond in-thread within 48 hours, I'll replace you.
  • I do not make mistakes. If you think I have, tell me - gently - and I will modify your reality accordingly.
  • To get my attention, say e.g.
    Mod
    :
    I like kittens!

• Do not discuss any correspondence from me; I will not comment on any nonpublic conversations.
  • Don't quote verbatim from your role PM; paraphrasing is okay. There's nothing to be gained here, but it's a very bad idea elsewhere.
  • If a game isn't finished, don't discuss it.
  • Don't post hidden (invisible, tiny, etc) text.
  • A goon may submit the roleblocker's action on behalf of the roleblocker; this is not consistent across the site.
  • I will log any mafia actions in the mafia quicktopic. If a cop or doc is replaced, they will receive a log of their previous night actions.
  • The mafia quicktopic will not be made public unless both mafia explicitly wish for it to be.
  • If I get two different night actions from the mafia, I will flip a coin and inform both of them.
Useful Links

The Setup

This game is running the F11 setup, which chooses randomly between these four variations:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Vanilla Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Vanilla Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Vanilla Townies
Possible Role PMs - The Town
Vanilla Townie Role PM wrote:You are a Vanilla Townie. Try to find and lynch the mafia.
You have no night action, but your voice and your vote are powerful tools.
You win when both mafia members are dead.
Doctor Role PM wrote:You are a Doctor. Try to find and lynch the mafia.
Each night, you may attempt to protect someone else from the mafia's kill attempt. If you are roleblocked, you will not be informed - your protection will silently fail.
Submit your night action to me by private message.
Cop Role PM wrote:You are a Cop. Try to find and lynch the mafia.
Each night, you may attempt to investigate someone; I will tell you for certain if they are a mafia member or not. If you are roleblocked, you will receive "No Result".
Submit your night action to me by private message.
Possible Role PMs - The Mafia, Set A (Goon & Goon)
Mafia Goon Role PM wrote:You're a Mafia Goon; your partner is ___, who is a Mafia Goon. Try to convince the town you're on their side, and get them to lynch one another.
You may talk with your partner at night - I strongly suggest you use this quicktopic in case either of you are replaced.
Each night, your mafia group may attempt to kill someone.
Agree with your partner on your night action, and submit it to me by private message.
You win when at least half of the living players are mafia.
x2

Possible Role PMs - The Mafia, Set B (Goon & Roleblocker)
Mafia Goon Role PM wrote:You're a Mafia Goon; your partner is ___, who is a Mafia Roleblocker. Try to convince the town you're on their side, and get them to lynch one another.
You may talk with your partner at night - I strongly suggest you use this quicktopic in case either of you are replaced.
Each night, if your partner is alive, they may roleblock someone. If their target has a night action, it will not be performed.
Agree with your partner on your night actions, and submit them to me by private message.
Mafia Roleblocker Role PM wrote:You're a Mafia Roleblocker; your partner is ___, who is a Mafia Goon. Try to convince the town you're on their side, and get them to lynch one another.
Each night, if you are alive, you may roleblock someone. If they have a night action, it will not be performed.
Agree with your partner on your night actions, and submit them to me by private message.
The Bottom of Everyone's Role PM wrote:Please immediately reply to this PM with "confirm" or similar to tell me you understand your role and are ready to play. The game thread is here and will be unlocked when everyone is ready to start.
Last edited by Elmo on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:02 am

Post by Elmo »

Role PMs are now out. If you don't have one, PM me. We will begin when everyone has confirmed; if you don't confirm within 72 hours, you'll be replaced.

Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:22 pm

Post by Elmo »

Day 1 begins!

The
deadline
is Friday, 14th August 22:00 UTC. If deadline hits, there will be No Lynch.
With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

jeromus
jeromus
Goon
jeromus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:54 pm

Post by jeromus »

Okay - F1rst!
If anyone else feels like posting, then I'd advise them to go right ahead, or I shall get bored D:
I'm gonna do this now -
Vote - iamausername
You seem like you're trying to hide behind your generic username...
You're just weird. You have so much non-related fluff, pulled a gambit that... well just baffles me. But behind that I don't think you are scum, just individual. - Cliquey to Jeromus In a player description.
bouchedufou
bouchedufou
Townie
bouchedufou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:22 am

Post by bouchedufou »

Yippee! Started!

So this is a random vote to get the guy to claim?

vote- iamausernam

Now what happens?
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:45 am

Post by iamausername »

Do you think it would be helpful for me to claim now?

Vote: Halidon

This vote is not random.
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
Maemuki
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:55 am

Post by Maemuki »

It starts!
Well, random vote time.
Vote: crazypianist1116

Usually, pianos are evil.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:02 am

Post by startransmission »

iamausername wrote:

This vote is not random.
How so?

Vote: Jeromus
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:57 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

iamausername wrote:Do you think it would be helpful for me to claim now?

This vote is not random.

/win

Hi all! If anyone has questions about gameplay or anything else feel free to ask.

bouchedufou wrote:Yippee! Started!

vote- iamausernam

Now what happens?
Random voting is to get discussion started (the more I play this game the more I hate random voting). You typically want several pages of chatter Day 1, from everyone, so that we can start to get a handle on possible alignments.

Day 1 usually ends with a Town lynch, but you use the information from the lynch and the night kill on Day 2 forward, plus the chatter from Day 1, to make educated guesses as to people's alignments.

No, it is NOT a good idea to No Lynch on Day 1, so let's not suggest it.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
crazypianist1116
crazypianist1116
Goon
crazypianist1116
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:56 am

Post by crazypianist1116 »

Maemuki wrote:It starts!
Well, random vote time.
Vote: crazypianist1116

Usually, pianos are evil.
:( Pianos are the most beautiful instrument in the world.
Vote: Maemuki
crazypianist1116
crazypianist1116
Goon
crazypianist1116
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:54 pm

I suppose I should create a better "first" post than that one. Welcome everybody to the wonderful world of mafia. I'll make some recommendations to everyone who has not played mafia online (and even those who have): Read The Posts! That includes the opening posts with the helpful links to rules and tactics. Also, use the Preview button. You'll catch your mistakes more easily.
As for myself, I've played a newbie game here before and a few games on another forum. You can refer to me as crazypianist1116, crazypianist, crazy, or CP, but not names which involve a certain mispronunciation of pianist :wink:. Perhaps everyone else should give a similar introduction. Anyways, good luck everyone, and may the better team win. Now for the actual game:
bouchedufou wrote:Yippee! Started!

vote- iamausernam

Now what happens?
First, it's not random if it has a purpose relevant to the game. Second, there is no reason for him to claim. Why are you attacking iamusername? What did he do to you?
bouchedufou
bouchedufou
Townie
bouchedufou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Post by bouchedufou »

For the intro- never played before, just read a mafia game on another forum, thought it sounded pretty cool, and decided to get some experience before joining one.

Well, isn't it random at the beginning of the game if there hasn't been night? Since nobody has any idea at all?
So we're not supposed to claim? sorry, this is slightly confusing. The game I saw was probably wierd- it was themed and all.

Anyway, what do we do if we don't claim? Apart from making useless and irrelevant posts?
bouchedufou
bouchedufou
Townie
bouchedufou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Post by bouchedufou »

oh, yeah, just to show I've got no hard feelings,
unvote: iamausernam
And could you please explain why we shouldn't have a no lynch vote? Because from what I see, this first day we have no info at all to go on. And like you said, we're more likely to lynch a townie than a mafia dude. That's what the guys on the game I was watching said too, but they didn't really explain it.
bouchedufou
bouchedufou
Townie
bouchedufou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:20 pm

Post by bouchedufou »

woops, wrong bbs

unvote: iamausernam
Halidon
Halidon
Townie
Halidon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:36 pm

Post by Halidon »

iamausername wrote:Do you think it would be helpful for me to claim now?

This vote is not random.
How so indeed? And what is the purpose of you claiming so early in the game when no one is in danger of being lynched yet? Do you care to explain?
crazypianist1116
crazypianist1116
Goon
crazypianist1116
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:44 pm

No Lynch is basically a bad idea. An IC will explain this better than I, but essentially, if we end up with No Lynch on Day 1, we get less information from it, and it'll be easier for mafia to get an advantage on later days. We can use the information about who we lynch today for who we think we should lynch tomorrow. If we vote No Lynch, we'll basically start Day 2 the same way we started Day 1 only with one less townie. Oh and by the way, I wasn't trying to create hard feelings, I was just questioning you about your actions. People will do that a lot here so be prepared to explain anything that you do.

Iamusername: It seems odd that you would ask the town if you should claim while you are still 3 votes from lynching (now it's 4). Claiming is not needed so far from a lynch. But you're an SE, you should know this. I am also curious about your vote for Halidon.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:11 pm

A no lynch is a fucking disaster. Those who argue for it are always firmly at the top of my scum list. Just saying. I'd go into it, but our illustrious IC would do a better job.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Maemuki
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:21 pm

Post by Maemuki »

crazypianist1116 wrote: :( Pianos are the most beautiful instrument in the world.
Vote: Maemuki
I'm not saying that they aren't beautiful. I agree with that. But crazy pianists are evil. Normally.
Besides, I'll probrably unvote you at page 2/3, this is just to get stuff going. ^-^

Well, intro.
I'm Maemuki. You can call me any shortening of that name, Mae, Muki, anything. I've never played mafia before, so. I have read some mini games here, and some large theme ones in another forum. And, to finish, I apologize for any grammar/spelling mistakes.
bouchedufou
bouchedufou
Townie
bouchedufou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Post by bouchedufou »

Hell yeah, baby grands are sleek, black and sexy!

I'm curious too now- why do you say your vote for Halidon isn't random?
bouchedufou
bouchedufou
Townie
bouchedufou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Post by bouchedufou »

^directed at iamusername
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:12 am

Post by iamausername »

Guys, I have no intention of claiming any time soon. I asked that question because bouched said this:
bouchedufou wrote:So this is a random vote to get the guy to claim?
and I wanted him to think about whether or not a claim at this point would be a good idea. I wasn't going to claim regardless of what he said, I just wanted to know what he would say.

I voted Halidon because I think a brand new player is more likely to slip up under pressure if they're scum. Now, there are four players (bouchedufou, BagSquad, Halidon, Maemuki) who haven't played at all on this site before, so I needed to narrow it down a bit more. bouched and Halidon didn't have avatars at the time. Halidon only posted "/in" in the queue, while bouched posted "/in for next". Both of these things made him look the most careless of the four, so Halidon got the vote.

Really I just wanted to random vote someone and say "this vote is not random" because I thought that would get some useful reactions, and I like things to get serious as soon as possible. But I thought I'd better make it actually not random, because I wouldn't want people calling me a liar.

bouchedufou wrote:Anyway, what do we do if we don't claim? Apart from making useless and irrelevant posts?
Make useful and relevant posts. :wink:

The best way to understand how games get out of being totally random at the start of D1 is probably to look at other games and see how it happened there. Pick a few finished newbie games, read the first few pages, you should start to get the idea.
bouchedufou wrote:And could you please explain why we shouldn't have a no lynch vote?
There are two ways for people to die in this game:

the lynch
the night kill

the lynch has a 22% chance of killing mafia (at the moment).
the night kill has a 0% chance of killing mafia (and always will).

Any time we don't lynch, we are giving up the 22% chance in favour of the 0% chance.

Unvote, Vote: BagSquad
. Based on what everyone has posted so far, he seems most likely to be scum.
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:54 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

bouchedufou wrote:For the intro- never played before, just read a mafia game on another forum, thought it sounded pretty cool, and decided to get some experience before joining one.

Well, isn't it random at the beginning of the game if there hasn't been night? Since nobody has any idea at all?
So we're not supposed to claim? sorry, this is slightly confusing. The game I saw was probably wierd- it was themed and all.

Anyway, what do we do if we don't claim? Apart from making useless and irrelevant posts?
Don't read a themed game and try to apply those processes here - there are usually claiming strategies in themed games that actually help you figure out who is who that don't apply to non-theme games such as Newbie games.

No claiming until you are at Lynch - 1. Don't give the Mafia any more information than they already have until absolutely necessary.

Eventually someone will say something that has meaning behind it, and we'll quickly get away from the random posts. Don't ever think of this as a useless or irrelevant part of the game - the Random vote part of the game can actually be quite useful later on to help decipher alignments.

I would like to hear bouch's answer to iama's question, because I don't think it was answered. I would also like to know why crazy answered for bouche in post 11.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
BagSquad
BagSquad
Townie
BagSquad
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:09 am

Post by BagSquad »

iamausername wrote:
>:(

Vote:
iamausername
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:52 am

BagSquad wrote:
iamausername wrote:
>:(

Vote:
iamausername
If you're going to break out an OMGUS at least write something.

I do want to know what iamusername found especially scummy about your earlier posts though.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”