Newbie 800 ~ Mafia: The Reality Show (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
onion
onion
Goon
onion
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:26 pm

Post by onion »

here again sorry for absence.

i looked at the initial votes and saw that Cyren voted for Raeil (016), and Raeil voted for Cyren(021). a good way for scum to distance perhaps, which is totally enough of a reason to vote for them in RVS (not quite random voting stage?) and so i placed my vote on Cyren it also served a different purpose.

i was concerned that someone else (scum/otherwise) would quickly hammer and argue that they were writing while i posted, which would have been a great move for scum or a catastrophe for town, and i'm glad that didn't happen. i would not believe someone saying they mis-counted because our mod announced it, and i expect most of us can count to 5. thus i suppose i should refine my argument to 'only scum or townies who are stupidly anti-town would hammer.' doesn't sound quite as good though.

i was not attempting to get him lynched, but to draw out a scum hammering him. trading a townie for a scum is a good deal, we only have to do it twice to win.

as a side note, i have not heard of people getting L-1'd so early and it makes me smile to know that i got to do something so rare.
Echo
Echo
Goon
Echo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:41 pm

Post by Echo »

I'm sorry guys, I have 3 important exams coming up this week (first one tomorrow), so I can't be as active as I like. I will catch up asap.

For now,
unvote
ric
ric
Goon
ric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:01 pm

Post by ric »

Ric- my position? I'm scumhunting... What "positions" are you talking about? He was opening me up for a quicklynch on D1 knowing he was doing so and then seem to say, "aw shucks it didn't happen, it was still fun to try though." That doesn't even seem a bit off to you? My vote on Raeil is a random vote because we were in RVS.. If you've been here since November I don't understand what you're confused about...
A) yes it seems a bit off that onion did that, actually pretty off
B) im confused about your vote and your rhetoric. i understand youre investigating for mafia. are you pushing for a lynch? why is this vote happening? is it vote worthy or do you use votes a little more easily than some? do you think onion is mafia because of this or is onion just at/near the top of the list so far? thats what im confused about. you keep saying he did this but i dont see exactly where youre going with it. i say 'youve got a decent case for page 3' you say 'its only page 3' but you do seem pretty adamant. this is what im trying to figure out
sideney
sideney
Goon
sideney
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Post by sideney »

Why ric and onion are still voting Cyren? and why ric is trying hard to make Cyren look scum? If i have to bet ,i think that i will go with the onion-ric pair.
Show
As Town 2/3 Lose with 1/2 nk and 1/2 lynched.
As Scum 1/3 Win but 1/1 Lynch
As doc 1 time.
As cop 1 time.
I'm a fucking noob!
ric
ric
Goon
ric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:03 pm

Post by ric »

no need to take the vote off now. if i remember correctly, cyren is at -3 now.

but if its that big of a deal i will
unvote cyren
auditor9006
auditor9006
Townie
auditor9006
Townie
Townie

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:01 am

Post by auditor9006 »

ric wrote:no need to take the vote off now. if i remember correctly, cyren is at -3 now.

but if its that big of a deal i will
unvote cyren
Vote:ric

To
h
id
e
amongst the soil is fun,
But not if your the only one.

Try too hard to
p
rove your ilk,
m
a
kes you the sour i
n
the m
i
lk.

To make it
c
lear what i say,
Ric has gone and run away!

Even the best run li
ke
the rest. En
d

Begginners Guide
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:26 am

Post by Haylen »

Auditor wrote: To hide amongst the soil is fun,
Presumable means scum hiding in a bandwagon.
But not if your the only one.
Can't hide if everybody else unvotes.
Try too hard to prove your ilk,
Trying to hard to prove you're a townie.
makes you the sour in the milk.
A warning, it makes you look dirty and scummy in the innocence of vanilla town.
To make it clear what i say,
Thank you!
Ric has gone and run away!
He's got cold feet and unvoted
Even the best run like the rest. End
Even the best scum are cautious in the end.

Well that's my interpretation anyway, hey, Auditor, write me a riddle about whether I'm write or wrong here :D If it is correct, I have to agree with you, however I am unsure as to what the bolded means. Perhaps it's an anagram?

H E P A N I C K E D

No, put in a space, and you've got He Panicked, suggesting that my interpretation of the riddle was correct! :D
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
auditor9006
auditor9006
Townie
auditor9006
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:24 am

Post by auditor9006 »

Ha
y
l
e
n read
s
and writes the truth,
from following a single proof.

If one gets one then all should see,
my very simple similes,
are easy peasy lemon sqeezey.
(I know, that's really very cheezy ;-))
onion
onion
Goon
onion
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:55 am

Post by onion »

am i supposed to be suspicious of Ric? let's see.

he voted for Cyren (023) first, he calls be brutally honest (058), a complement for philosophers. he questions Cyren about his vote (071), and unvotes himself (079) when any pressure is put on it (indicating that it is either a random vote with no value or a scum vote).

so what i get from this is that he is trying to act town. both sides try to act town though, so it is hard (not sqeezey) to to tell the difference.

Why am i voting for Cyren? because Cyren and Raeil cross voted and Raeil withdrew his vote (031) a bit too quickly. i could swap my vote over to Raeil, but they are evenly early-game-suspicious right now.
Cyren
Cyren
Townie
Cyren
Townie
Townie

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:00 am

Post by Cyren »

I haven't voted him, I'm not pushing for a lynch yet. I don't believe he is mafia yet just that what he did was really stupid and/or scummy. What vote are you talking about? I have a vote placed on Raeil because it was random voting stage... I'm a bit picky to put a vote on someone for real reasons, I like to get more information first because being indecisive is seen as really bad here and I really am indecisive. At everything. I also don't like when some people just say, "Hey thats scummy vote" but they don't try to back it up or explain why/get more info. I guess we just had/have different perspectives on "enough information" or reasoning to vote.

That being said I have enough info to change my vote
unvote vote Onion

onion wrote:i looked at the initial votes and saw that Cyren voted for Raeil (016), and Raeil voted for Cyren(021). a good way for scum to distance perhaps, which is totally enough of a reason to vote for them in RVS (not quite random voting stage?)
No, not really a good reason and that is a weak point. Something like the RVS scum pairing should be left for lylo or at the earliest D2 when you actually have some information to go off of. (This goes for Sideney too) But predicting scum pairings just helps scum set up NKs to push town thoughts.
onion wrote: i was concerned that someone else (scum/otherwise) would quickly hammer and argue that they were writing while i posted, which would have been a great move for scum or a catastrophe for town, and i'm glad that didn't happen
What? I get that you're admitting to purposefully putting me at L-1, but then you say you were afraid someone would hammer me and you're glad it didn't happen? I don't buy that. Not when you say right after,
Onion wrote:trading a townie for a scum is a good deal, we only have to do it twice to win.
/shakes head

Please find me a game where this happened and worked. IMO if I had been lynched you may have gotten the person to hammer me lynched who could have been mafia, but they could have been town and you just would have wasted two townies for nothing if you actually were town because they'd all go after you next. The actual scum would have a field day with that. It is just better to scum hunt and lynch people for real reasons not speculated probability.

Last reason that got me was this,

[quote="Onion"as a side note, i have not heard of people getting L-1'd so early and it makes me smile to know that i got to do something so rare. [/quote]

Why do you think that doesn't happen? You knowingly did something scummy that you knew you could play off in this situation as "I did it for information"

Again I don't believe you and I think its a weak point you're using to get out of the specific situation.

Just a side note:

I'll outright admit I don't keep vote counts. I read them when the Mod posts them and I have the idea, "someone is or I think someone is voting for so and so" but I usually don't know someone is at L-1 unless another player states that.

I don't know if I agree with the Ric as scum hiding but its something to look into.

I had a little more to write but I have to leave.
ric
ric
Goon
ric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:11 am

Post by ric »

cyren:
are you talking to me about your vote? sorry i didnt realize you werent voting for onion before, my bad. what the fuck, i cannot read lately.

im kind of feeling your case against onion here but he off-hand strikes me as civilian and let me tell you why - some philosophers love to talk and write and just string together arguments even though the argument may not be particularly compelling and then they back it up as much as they can because they have the conviction of their own ability to string together a solid argument (thus the continued vote on you or raeil). sometimes this leads to good consequences because they are onto something but sometimes this can get them into trouble.

of course - this could just be sympathy/empathy for a fellow philosopher
onion wrote:voted for Cyren (023) first,
he calls be brutally honest (058), a complement for philosophers.
A) random vote to get things moving
B) what?

i do think youre a bit suspicious. can you explain your position more on raeil and cyren or is this just a 'hunch and shake information loose' vote?
sideney wrote:why ric is trying hard to make Cyren look scum?
where are you getting this from?

haylen

what are cold feet?

auditor

did you get this suggestion from game 790? or there something else there youd like to bring up?
auditor9006
auditor9006
Townie
auditor9006
Townie
Townie

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:09 pm

Post by auditor9006 »

auditor

did you get this suggestion from game 790? or there something else there youd like to bring up?[/quote]

Seven
n
ine
O
h
are numbers that i do not know.

If you
c
annot ph
y
sically,
b
r
ing yours
e
lf a
n
d back to read,
my old statements far and w
i
de,
in
si
de the old texts do hide,
other poi
nt
s i mak
e
quite clea
r
though th
e
y are prone to disappear.

S
ome
ti
mes what i say is true,
but if my opinion muddles you,
do not worry about such thi
ng
s.
Its only just a little sting -

Of thought about our place around.
Our mafia is still underground...

That's as far as i can see,
Tell me child, what ails thee?
auditor9006
auditor9006
Townie
auditor9006
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:14 pm

Post by auditor9006 »

Ric and onion back each other?
Their prose is very tightly wound
and i find thought that cause me bother
though few to stir and make a sound...
Neferenom
Neferenom
Townie
Neferenom
Townie
Townie

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:42 pm

Post by Neferenom »

Ric - I don't have a lot of time to say much, but that sounds like you're defending and speaking for Onion. Makes you look suspicious? Philosopher or not, he knew what he was doing and sacrificing a town instead of putting some effort into scumhunting is rediculous to me. Does that happen a lot in mini/normal/theme games or whatever they're called?

Auditor, why am I interesting?

That is all I can post tonight I believe, Happy father's day everyone.
Some things you lose and some things you just give away.
Cyren
Cyren
Townie
Cyren
Townie
Townie

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:44 pm

Post by Cyren »

EBWOP That is my post ^^^ in case it wasn't obvious.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:50 pm

Post by Haylen »

Ric wrote: haylen
what are cold feet?
lol it's a metaphor. Basically, it means to lose ones nerve and abandon what they had started. At a wedding, the bride would be said to have cold feet if she gets nervous and runs away. Probably not the best example in the world.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Echo
Echo
Goon
Echo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:11 pm

Post by Echo »

From Forum Rules and Guidelines:
mith wrote:Do not talk outside the game thread about an ongoing game except where allowed to do so by your role.
Likewise, do not use bbcode to hide secret messages - this equates to discussion outside the thread.
Now although technically it's not a "secret message", it
is
hard to read, especially when you don't have much time and are trying to skim through the posts.

Mod:
Can I get a verdict on this?
No action will be taken for now. ~Vi
Echo
Echo
Goon
Echo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Post by Echo »

Also, I don't like how auditor's talking in poetry. You can't pick apart posts written in poetry; it's just not possible. I think that's exactly what he's trying to avoid.

vote: auditor9006
auditor9006
auditor9006
Townie
auditor9006
Townie
Townie

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:38 pm

Post by auditor9006 »

Echo wrote:Also, I don't like how auditor's talking in poetry. You can't pick apart posts written in poetry; it's just not possible. I think that's exactly what he's trying to avoid.

vote: auditor9006
To comprehend my simple posts,
takes two to three things
a
t most.
First you need a brai
n
y
o
ur quiver
to evaluate what i write hither.

Ne
xt, an element of trust,
that you
can
dissect what is what
and pick apa
r
t what i hav
e
wrote
to find wh
a
t is of great import.

Finally my simple friend
you simply nee
d
to comprehend -
to take some time, relax, sit down
and takes those furrows off your crown.

If you are skimming through the thread
not sitting down to read whats said
then you will make a coy mistake,
a slip, a error, a rush of fate -

And
this
will mean a waste of time
to follow in your petty line.

So though i do but post in verse,
for town productivity, your worse.

And so i will bid adue
except to say this - just for you.

If you dont have time to play,
please leave the thread and go away!

And also of worthy note, Dear C:
Its funny how you follow me.

I think we may have some shared views,
we will have to see where this leads to.

Hopefully you can all keep up.
I'd rather not have to pass the buck.
onion
onion
Goon
onion
Goon
Goon

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:45 pm

Post by onion »

my intention was not to lynch Cyren, but to provide the scum a chance to point themselves out. the vote also happened to line up with a cross voting pair worthy of suspicion. not the greatest of suspicion, because cross voting isn't the greatest of scum tells, but it's something.

what's your problem Echo? sure auditor is goofy, but he contributes enough for right now. 'i hate you' is fine for a random vote, but i feel we should be moving away from the random voting stage.

i feel that you, ric, are allying up with me. it's cool to meet a fellow enlightened person in the depths of the internet, but don't think that doesn't make you scum. you aren't very suspicious yet, but everyone gets a turn.

Anticollie - lurking is suspicious.
Auditor -
Cyren - cross voting is suspicious.
Echo - hating auditor is suspicious.
Haylen -
Raeil - cross voting is suspicious.
Ric - allying me is suspicious.
Sideney -
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:48 pm

Post by Vi »

Vote Count:

onion (2) ~ Anticollie, Cyren

Cyren (1) ~
ric,
onion
Echo (1) ~ Haylen
ric (1) ~ auditor9006
auditor9006 (1) ~ Echo
Anticollie (0) ~
Echo

Raeil (0) ~
Cyren

Not Voting:
auditor9006,
Raeil, sideney,
Echo,
ric
[size=0]Anticollie 1 PROD1 5 | auditor9006 0 | Cyren 0 | Echo 0 | Haylen 0 | onion 0 | Raeil 2 | ric 0 | sideney 0[/size]
---However, I WILL tell auditor that there's probably a good reason his link was blocked.

--With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.
--Deadline is Saturday, July 4 2009.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Cyren
Cyren
Townie
Cyren
Townie
Townie

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:24 pm

Post by Cyren »

I lied, I get to post again lol.

Echo, I understand where you are comming from but the poetry (now that all the coding etc has been removed and he seems to have "dumbed it down" a bit so that it is understandable) seems to be a null-tell. He is participating at least and wants others to do so a little more. Since Haylen and I both seem to be able to understand Auditor now your "it's just not possible" comment isn't true either. I kind of agree with auditor that if you don't have the time to thoroughly read right now maybe you should think about asking for replacement. It won't help town if you can't focus and your situation is understandable.

Auditor, its funny how I follow you? Do you mean follow as in I understand you or am I doing something I'm unaware of? If you think we have some shared views I would like to hear them from you. (hey that kind of rhymed lol)

Onion
Onion wrote:my intention was not to lynch Cyren, but to provide the scum a chance to point themselves out.
Putting me at L-1 to see if scum would hammer IS intention to Lynch.... No matter how you phrase it you were not just sacrificing town but information as well. Like I said to Haylen willingly lynching a town instead of someone you actually THINK might be scum is really bad to me.

I also think the RVS vote thing is carp too. At this point in the game you could use any of the RVS to make a scum pair. Also in 90% of the games I've read through most people "cross vote" (I'm assuming this means two people voting for each other) and usually aren't scum pairs.

I'm not saying Raeil isn't scum, I don't know but I think his taking me back to L-2 was pretty town. I'm a little more suspicious of sideney than Ric though. Mostley because of this scum pair talk on D1!

Back to Onion... the fact that you find pretty much everyone suspicious is interesting. Just remember only two of us can be mafia. No thoughts on Auditor or Haylen though? You attack Echo for hating Auditor's posting, but Haylen threatened to push a lynch on him as well.

The only thing I agree with is Anticollie's lurking. I'm a bit biased though since my last game the IC lucked and he was mafia.

Also, I'm a girl. Cyren, Siren, get it?
Echo
Echo
Goon
Echo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:19 pm

Post by Echo »

I will only be a little less active this week (just one week) due to exams, like I said in one of my earlier posts.

I didn't say that understanding is not possible, I can understand it fine. But, in my opinion, writing in verse avoids a certain *something* that makes dropping tells much less likely, and thus my vote. It's not a "i-hate-you" vote, it's a "you're-trying-to-hide" vote.

btw is there some search I can use to find all the posts made by any one person? I tried

Code: Select all

search.php?t=[topic]&author=[name]
which works on another phpBB board I use but it doesn't seem to work here.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Post by Haylen »

Use the filter at the bottom of the page, it says 'display posts from previous: all posts by (choose user from drop down bar) oldest first' click go.

Anticollie
Anticollie
Goon
Anticollie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:09 pm

Post by Anticollie »

A Plea I will make this request once: take it, or leave it:
Poetry does not make for a formidable meta in Mafia. it will confuse and infuriate your allies, and give even the most clever and professional player an aura of deception.
Tread carefully- or change boots.

Anticollie's Thought Pool
  • Mr(s). Ric-
    Your lack of ascertion is
    peculiar
    . With a loose game like this one has turned out to be thus far, why would you
    back off your vote so readily?
    However, you are
    open and thoughtful
    with your opinions. Thank you.

• Cap-i-tan Sydeney-
    So you've figured it out! Just like that? Well, judging by your vote, you think that Onion is more of a threat to our populous than Ric.
    Yet, you have made more statmeents against his alleged partner.
    Votes need to go where the mouth goes. There is no "knock 'em down one by one" policy here, we need to find the most prominant threat to the town- and quelch them first.
    So tell me: where doth thy allegations lie?

• Mr. Auditor:
    I haven't read any of your meta, nor will I.
    See above.

• Haylen; Herself-
    Keep your
    WIFOM
    to yourself, please.
    post #60 wrote:I think it safe to presume that a Newbie town would hammer.
    If you're using stats,
    I want refrences
    post # 60 wrote:but there's about a 70% chance it could.
  • Lordly Gent Raeli-
    Your posting pleases me. It is well set up, and wanted to thank you for that. Also, thanks for stepping up to answer questions- but let's get down to business, shall we?
    If deadline was in 2 days, who would you be voting for?
    if no one... why? (No one strikes me as scummy isn't a response).

• HRH Echo-
    Enjoy your exams.
    I will be keeping an excel doc specifically for you, in order to track your posting habits. it is only fair that I am upfront with this information.
    I have seen people use viable excuses to lurk more than necessary.
    This data will be revealed post-game if requested. (Also; before you go, a list of your thoughts and reactions would be appreciated).

• Madam Neferenom-
    I didn't get that vibe from Ric (defense of scum partner). Specfically what about his questioning process led you to
    think he had ulterior motives?

• Dame Cyren-
    I see a lot of leads going out from you. This is
    awesome
    . However, there needs to be
    more follow up.
    Don't accept an answer- just remember: no matter how legit they seem,
    at least two are liars.
    Therefore, assume they are liars.
    That said, your fleshing out of Onion's actions has sedimented my vote.
    Well done.

Anticollie's hot seat
Onion.

So, talk to me Onion. Stay with me- and don't change topics.
  • Why do you think
    trading townie lives
    for scum lives is an acceptable practice? You are aware there are other, safer, practices.
  • How can we assume that what you propose (trade) would prove sucessful? It may at times- but it is in no way a
    common enough occurance to warrant such an action.
    Do you feel the same way? why?
  • Do you honestly think Ric is playing buddy buddy? Aside from
    sharing a vote
    ... which he voted for first, and
    you FOLLOWED HIM,
    I see
    no
    evidence.

I am unaware as to why the font changes from small to large in my "thought pool" column. Please overlook this small php hiccup, asuming it transfers over

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”