Newbie 1040 ~ Murder in Newbville! ~ Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Post by silverbullet999 »

As I said, situational, say you protected 2 people in that game... somehow... thus you know that whoever they are are town.. and one of them is about to be lynched that would also mean well now i gotta pray i pick the right target to protect again. thus better to claim and clear them vs i'm gonna take a guess as to who to protect. Least imo.
... People were right it seems....
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:14 pm

As I said, situational, say you protected 2 people in that game... somehow... thus you know that whoever they are are town.. and one of them is about to be lynched that would also mean game over, thus better to claim and clear them vs i'm gonna take a guess as to who to protect
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Post by Equinox »

mikemike778 wrote:Still if you want me to vote for the sake of it then fair enough, off to random.org we go
Why did you feel pressured to place a random vote?

A note about using RNGs for random votes: 'RVS' is a misnomer, as it's not that the votes are random as much as the votes are for arbitrary reasons to start the game. It's better to have some reason, however silly, to back up your initial vote, since it helps other players get a read on you.
mikemike778 wrote:If you were a Doc and Night 1 you save someone (assuming mafia don't no kill). Do you claim?

a) Day 2 (8 players)
b) Day 3 (6 players 2 bad, 4 good)
c) Not untl you need to
In addition to what Lindisfarne and silverbullet999 have mentioned, I find that claiming at LyLo dilutes the power of the claim, since it's a common scum tactic to throw PR claims around in LyLo to confuse town. In a game I was in, the doctor made a successful protect on Night 1; what he did was breadcrumb his result so he could come back to it later. (The example in that wiki is a pretty obvious one. If you ever breadcrumb, I recommend using more subtle methods: spread your key letters across several posts and several points, not just the first letters of things, or even use cultural references that aren't immediately obvious.) In general, having strong and verifiable breadcrumbs backs up a claim considerably.

Scenario B is a "mislynch-and-lose" (MyLo) situation where lynching incorrectly results in game over, but town has the option to not lynch. In a situation like that, I recommend that the doctor claim if s/he has a successful protect; that way, town will have two confirmed townies, and scum will be able to kill only one of them. Having confirmed townies in LyLo helps immensely.
MrDNA32
MrDNA32
Townie
MrDNA32
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Post by MrDNA32 »

I'm really not sure how discussing theory is really helping to find scum right now. That being said

VOTE: Equinox
In the criminal justice system of Gotham, there are three groups. The police, who investigate, the DAs who prosecute and the g*****n Batman.
Grump
Grump
Townie
Grump
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Post by Grump »

Out of curiosity MrDNA....
Was that change in vote backed by reason, or are you still in the RVS phase looking for reactions?
LordChronos
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:55 pm

Post by LordChronos »

Grump: Why can't he be looking for reactions outside of RVS? Also, read his post again.

MrDNA: That is the thing I like least about RQS. It tends to lead to theory discussion instead of game discussion.
I'm a talking computer.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:57 pm

Post by Equinox »

I have to ask, MrDNA32: Why me in particular?
Grump
Grump
Townie
Grump
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Post by Grump »

@LordChronos: My bad, didn't notice that I hadn't put OR in there >.<
In retrospect, you have brought up a good point that I'll have to remember from now on. I had never really considered that "looking for reactions" wasn't entirely random at all.
Lindisfarne
Lindisfarne
Goon
Lindisfarne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:44 pm

Post by Lindisfarne »

wanted to point out: Equinox is now at L-2.
[i][color=red]"He looks like the type of guy who can marathon write no matter his alignment without looking scummy at all." -Xtoxm[/color][/i]
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:58 pm

Post by Equinox »

Nothing like a good bandwagon to jumpstart the game. :D
MrDNA32 wrote:I'm really not sure how discussing theory is really helping to find scum right now.
You're correct in that theory discussion doesn't do much for scum hunting, since it's a matter of opinion and is usually alignment-neutral. It's a good opportunity to soapbox and talk about how to deal with possible situations that might come up later in the game, though.
Lindisfarne
Lindisfarne
Goon
Lindisfarne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Post by Lindisfarne »

@ DNA, Chronos, and Silverbullet:
We've been in an odd mix of RVS and RQS this game, and yet a person having 33% of the votes on him on page three is a bit odd. Why are you keeping your votes on Equinox?

I'm enjoying the game theory discussion, but I did not join a game to wax theoretic with others.
[i][color=red]"He looks like the type of guy who can marathon write no matter his alignment without looking scummy at all." -Xtoxm[/color][/i]
mikemike778
mikemike778
Goon
mikemike778
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Post by mikemike778 »

UNVOTE:

VOTE: MrDNA32

Until we get a decent reason for why he voted Equinox.

3 votes on someeone in RVS is too many. Especially in a newbie game where a couple of newbies could easily jump on a bandwagon without knowing better. Looks to me like something a scum player could do hoping to get a quick mislynch.
mikemike778
mikemike778
Goon
mikemike778
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:02 pm

Post by mikemike778 »

Equinox wrote:Nothing like a good bandwagon to jumpstart the game. :D
MrDNA32 wrote:I'm really not sure how discussing theory is really helping to find scum right now.
You're correct in that theory discussion doesn't do much for scum hunting, since it's a matter of opinion and is usually alignment-neutral. It's a good opportunity to soapbox and talk about how to deal with possible situations that might come up later in the game, though.
Also people tend to write more detailed answers and hence give more scope for getting a read on someone. May be useful in later days as well if players go against what they claim now is the best thing to do its going to look very ropey.
mikemike778
mikemike778
Goon
mikemike778
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:09 pm

Post by mikemike778 »

A note about using RNGs for random votes: 'RVS' is a misnomer, as it's not that the votes are random as much as the votes are for arbitrary reasons to start the game. It's better to have some reason, however silly, to back up your initial vote, since it helps other players get a read on you.
RNG is as good a reason for a vote as some of the reasons given in RVS.

I personally don't see how giving a nothing reason would help to give a read on me so didn't see the point in putting a vote on for the sake of it. It can be needed to get the game moving but we had our RQS so I deemed it unecessary.

Was happy to comply though if people wanted it for whatever reason (if mister random had fallen on anyone with 2+ votes already I'd have had another go).
LordChronos
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:58 am

Post by LordChronos »

mikemike778 wrote:
RNG is as good a reason for a vote as some of the reasons given in RVS.

I personally don't see how giving a nothing reason would help to give a read on me so didn't see the point in putting a vote on for the sake of it. It can be needed to get the game moving but we had our RQS so I deemed it unecessary.

Was happy to comply though if people wanted it for whatever reason (if mister random had fallen on anyone with 2+ votes already I'd have had another go).
Scummy post here. First, you say that you didn't see the point in putting a vote on for the sake of it, then went on to do that. Second, you said you were just random voting, then said that you would have ignore the RNG result if it resulted in you voting someone with more than one vote, which means you were actually not random voting.

Unvote; Vote: mikemike778

Lindis: I hadn't unvoted Equinox because L-2 isn't that big a deal and I hadn't seen a reason to vote someone else. Clearly, I now have.
I'm a talking computer.
Kitoari
Kitoari
Goon
Kitoari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:07 am

Post by Kitoari »

Votecount 4 - The Leslie Nielsen votecount.
Equinox (Silverbullet999, MrDNA32) (2)
Silverbullet999 (Equinox, a2rudeboy) (2)
mikemike778 (LordChronos) (1)
MrDNA32 (mikemike778) (1)
LordChronos (Grump) (1)

I may have found a rep. for soothingvapors..

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch!
Deadline is 29th of December, 8:35 PM (Central Time).*

*This will probably be extended by a couple days, to account for the Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/InsertYourReligion'sDecemberHolidayHere season.
Interested in doing a Dept. Heaven Large Theme. If you're interested in ironing it out, drop me a line.
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:46 am

If the replacement is david parker... i'm gonna crack up and cry at the same time.
Lindisfarne
Lindisfarne
Goon
Lindisfarne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Post by Lindisfarne »

Who is Davidparker?
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:35 pm

a player who normally loves replacing into my games...

he says it's just by luck... i think he stalks my games...
Kitoari
Kitoari
Goon
Kitoari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Kitoari »

Suddenly, soothingvapors, who had been hiding in the corner while the town discussed things, was erased from existence by a vengeful god. No one even remembered he ever was there.

Instead, they think that AzBlueM had just been oversleeping the whole time.

Or, in non-flavor terms, AzBlueM replaces soothingvapors.
Interested in doing a Dept. Heaven Large Theme. If you're interested in ironing it out, drop me a line.
AzBlueM
AzBlueM
Goon
AzBlueM
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Post by AzBlueM »

VOTE: rudeboy reread
in progress, I'm not David
Parker...no onions
Do not call me "he"

my pronoun is "she", I will

call you out on it
AzBlueM
AzBlueM
Goon
AzBlueM
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:10 pm

Post by AzBlueM »

Lin's qs:
I'll figure it out
if I every get to play
more than one of them

I don't know you guys
so I'm thinking meta is
rather useless now

Always wanted to
play a serial killer
barcodes and bran puffs

(okay, I'll stop now)
Eq's qs:
1)PST, I'm posting once per day-ish, though it's exam/essay week atm
2)yes, this is my 4th game on ms and my 4th ever (that wasn't wrecked by ppl stealing my card)
3)depends on the lie, but if pA hasn't said anything constructive in their defense, they're getting lynched
4)not lylo: go with the methods. lylo: go w/the gut

Mike's q:
b) D2 is too early and you may get it right and protect another person again and claiming a PR at L-1/lylo makes ppl question the truth of the claim (speaks from recent exp in this case)

gwarg...theory discussion...stuff is coming up rather null right now

VOTE: Grump, get an avatar please.
Do not call me "he"

my pronoun is "she", I will

call you out on it
MrDNA32
MrDNA32
Townie
MrDNA32
Townie
Townie

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:03 am

Post by MrDNA32 »

@Grump
You are correct. I am looking for a reaction

@LordChronos
Don't get me wrong I'm learning form listening to theory discussion, but my last day one felt like we needed more time at the end, so I'm ready to get to it right away this time.

@Equinox
You were the most noticeable person with two votes on them already, what better way to provoke group reactions

@mikemike778
do you honestly mean to tell me you believe that someone at -2 would be quick lynched, on page 3?
or are you tossing out suspicion to see if it will stick. I think everyone else could clearly see what I was doing here. I'm going to keep an eye on you.

@a2rudeboy
What do you think of all this theory talk that was happening?

And for now VOTE: a2rudeboy to provide some posting incentive.
In the criminal justice system of Gotham, there are three groups. The police, who investigate, the DAs who prosecute and the g*****n Batman.
silverbullet999
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
silverbullet999
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:44 am

I'm actually disappointed that he wasn't the one who replaced... alas welcome az guy
Kitoari
Kitoari
Goon
Kitoari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:47 am

Post by Kitoari »

Votecount 5 - The Sad Kitten votecount.
Equinox (Silverbullet999) (1)
Silverbullet999 (Equinox, a2rudeboy) (2)
mikemike778 (LordChronos) (1)
Grump (AzBlueM) (1)
a2rudeboy (MrDNA32) (1)
MrDNA32 (mikemike778) (1)
LordChronos (Grump) (1)

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch!
Deadline is 29th of December, 8:35 PM (Central Time).*

*This will probably be extended by a couple days, to account for the Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/InsertYourReligion'sDecemberHolidayHere season.

IMPORTANT: From monday the 13th to friday the 17th, the esteemed KittyMo will be your moderator. Her word is as mine until I return.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”