The Dark Goma Mafia: Massacre of the Cloth (Game Over)

SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #1400 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:50 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Yea, funny how that works huh.

Kinda like how I said I assumed my role was active and all right?
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1401 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

I actually don't think she's denying that SpyreX targetted her with something (gave her a black potion), but she is denying that that necessarily gave her her mysterious ability that she won't tell us about. Remember that SpyreX had the whole not-death thing going on, which might have been the (only?) outcome of his supposed potion.
If you believe Spyrex targeted SB with anything, he's probably not scum. I don't get any scum motivation for pushing agaisnt the miller. There's heaps of juicy power roles yet unfound, why would you bother with someone likely to get lynched or killed at some point without an active ability?
I'm old now.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1402 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:17 pm

Post by dramonic »

I think at this point a miller lynch is in order. SB is being very uncooperative and just flinging suspicions all over the walls

Vote: SB
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
milkshake
milkshake
Goon
milkshake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1403 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:20 pm

Post by milkshake »

You stopped me from killing myself, eh?
Is this more of your jester-vigilante-cop antics? Unless your role talks about how you kill yourself because you're totally crazy, then no.
If you believe SpyreX targeted SB with anything, he's probably not scum.
I still doubt SpyreX's claim a little bit. It seems really weird that his role would turn out to be oddly inactive just as a (claimed) tracker targets him, and that his potion, although
meant
to kill Snow_Bunny (a pro-town action), would end up having no effect. However, I can also see how, in the right semi-coincidental circumstances, it could all be true. For example, maybe SB really does do bad things to people who target her. Also, importantly, his most recent posts have been convincing for me with regards to his claim...

As I previously mentioned, though, I really can't understand SB's play if she's town. Personally I wouldn't claim miller as scum, but according to people here, it is done fairly often. It would especially make sense if SB interacts with people who target her... although, it wouldn't make sense for her to half-kill those people (like what happened to SpyreX). Maybe SpyreX is secretly NK immune? Maybe he really will die tomorow (I doubt that)? Maybe SB doesn't do the same thing every time someone targets her?

I also agree wholeheartedly with the "witholding a piece of the puzzle is anti-town" thing. I'm also starting to like "SB and SpyreX's scumynesses are mutually exclusive." What I said previously about it being a prearranged scum thing seems unlikely to me now. So I suppose I should switch my vote to the other half of the Spy/SB duality, and
unvote, vote: Snow_Bunny

So, yeah. Let's all lynch Snow_Bunny and see what happens.
milkshake
milkshake
Goon
milkshake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1404 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:38 pm

Post by milkshake »

That would also mean that KK was bussing SB. That doesn't seem unlikely to me.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1405 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Post by curiouskarmadog »

Official Vote Count (Page 57, Day 2)

Snow_Bunny
-6 (SpyreX, DrippingGoofball, Papa Zito, SerialClergyman, dramonic, milkshake)
Spyrex -2 (Battle Mage, Benmage)
stark -2 (KaleiÐoscøpe, Sajin)
DrippingGoofball -2 (tubby216, Snow_Bunny)
Benmage -1 (VP Baltar)
tubby216 -1 (LlamaFluff)

Not Voting:
Rosso Carne, Kise, vollkan, SocioPath, Vaya, Plum, chamber, stark,

Note: Deadline will be at the earliest, 10/30 3:45 PM EST, with 23 whole votes available, it takes 12 to lynch.

Kise
Kise
Jack of All Trades
Kise
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1406 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:02 pm

Post by Kise »

milkshake wrote:
You stopped me from killing myself, eh?
Is this more of your jester-vigilante-cop antics? Unless your role talks about how you kill yourself because you're totally crazy, then no.
In that case, guess I don't know what you did to me in the night... better not have put bugs in my bed.

@My dearest Snow Bunny - Now seems like as good a time as ever to specify that 1-shot.
They have escaped into the mansion where they thought it was safe.

Yet…
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1407 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Post by Benmage »

Battle mage you gonna vote Snow?
stark
stark
commie scum
stark
commie scum
commie scum

Post Post #1408 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:34 pm

Post by stark »

SpyreX wrote:My role is pretty simple. Pick a potion, pick a target, ??? happens to said target.

That part is easy to explain without issue.
Do you have many potions left?
SocioPath
SocioPath
Mafia Scum
SocioPath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1409 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Post by SocioPath »

Ok, here is the deal.

From a logical standpoint, everything Spy said makes sense, and SC.
Look at the flavor of this game. People get special powers when they are near the Goma.
Those special powers would be an 'active' ability.
SC is a 'toucher'. He touches people, he gets their powers.
SPY DOESN'T HAVE ANY POWERS, nothing to absorb. He has POTIONS. Thats why he is 'SPECIAL'.
You can't touch someone and absorb a physical potion he has access to.

And SB is acting terribly considering her position.

Vote: Snow_Bunny
Aut Tace Aut Meliora Loquere Silentio.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #1410 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Yes I have a very wide variety left.
Show

Proud member of BaM
stark
stark
commie scum
stark
commie scum
commie scum

Post Post #1411 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:55 pm

Post by stark »

SpyreX wrote:Yes I have a very wide variety left.
And how much do you know about each?
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #1412 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:00 pm

Post by SpyreX »

The names! Wooosh!

Now I thought there was a correlation between color and function but if my black one didn't kill then that isn't true. If there IS a correlation and this is due to scum shenanigai by SB then I might have an idea of a few others.
Show

Proud member of BaM
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1413 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:22 pm

Post by dramonic »

Maybe they're associated to effects through Feng Shui :lol:
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1414 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Post by Benmage »

Milkshake, do you get a result, like success or failure for curing insane cops?
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #1415 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Post by vollkan »

serialclergyman wrote: Is there some posting restriction that says if I question a player who has a weird mechanic and an odd claim that other players have to respond like I've suggested a night of fun and frivolity with their saintly mothers? Stop getting your knickers in a twist and play nice.
You're suggesting I shouldn't pipe up when a player says something I think to be bullshit?
Benmage wrote:
VP Baltar wrote:Care to explain that, Ben.
Hes always scum.
I've been in at least one other game where Spyrex was town that I can remember, so this isn't even empirically accurate.

Vote: Benmage
. Until you give me a proper reason for your vote, I'm going to assume I don't need one for mine, and I encourage others to join in.
DGB wrote: Can someone else take over the duties of bringing sense into the game? The vast expanses of idiocy that stretch before me are just too much for the human soul to bear.
I don't agree with you on SB...but I feel your pain.
clergyman wrote: SB confirmed something odd happened to her last night. Unless anyone else wants to put their hand up, I'm assuming that was Spyrex.
Which makes Spy scum how?
Snow_Bunny wrote:
milkshake wrote:
I am. Until I see this theory disproven (and my role follows this pattern as well) then I'm going to assume it's true.
Well, I agree it's likely that many or most roles follow the -er rule (that's why I proposed it in the first place). So far, all town roles have been -er roles. (The Giver, The Hugger, The Sculptor, The Rodent Tamer vs. The Rats, The Scribe, and (alledgedly) The Alchemist). But it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would necessarily be true 100% of the time.
Why not? Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is usually the best. So far that seems to be the rule.

I'm not liking Spyrex's actions as of late. First, attacking me based on a roughly assumption that his potion was poison, and second that claim. just don't buy it. And the name, well, it doesn't fit either.

Vote: Spyrex
This is just sad more than anything else.

Time to school you: Occam's Razor does not say the simplest explanation is best. It says, as a heuristic maxim, that the explanation which invokes the least number of entities (unknowns, assumptions, etc.) is to be preferred.

In no fashion whatsoever does that justify the absolute crap-logic which you just employed. We have seen a number of town roles which do end in "-er" (for the record, my own role does end in -er). But that isn't statistically significant at all, and it's an extremely dopey assumption to make.

Also, the evidence we've received thus far is consistent with the town roles being the names of professions. Sculptor, I note, ends in -or. To the best of my knowledge, there is no -er or -or suffix for anything which is close in meaning to alchemist. So, given that Spyrex's claimed role certainly sounds plausible in this setup, I'm not going to hold the name against him.

Snow_Bunny wrote:Well, the effect gave me a new ability. Enough said.
Do you think it is strange that scum would have a power that confers a new positive ability?

DrippingGoofball wrote:
milkshake wrote:
Withholding a piece of the puzzle is anti-town.
QFT... well, unless that piece is "I'm a doc now."
At best, this would be a one-shot doctor ability. There is no point in withholding that. It's not like the scum is going to try to kill you over a one-night doc ability, when you're a miller. That's assuming that SB is town, an ever-dimming possibility.
QFT
serialclergyman wrote:I am the Toucher. I 'touch' 1 player at night.
I just want to note in passing that I read these two sentences plus your username and nearly choked on my coffee in laughter.
SerialClergyman wrote:I am the Toucher. I 'touch' 1 player at night. If they have an active ability, I am informed at daybreak what ability I've absorbed and the next night I get to either a) use that ability or b) touch another player.

I touched Spyrex and was informed I didn't receive an ability.

As I said, it's not alignment information and it's not 100% foolproof but it's definitely enough to make me suspicious of Spyrex, particularly when his current posts are nothing to write home about.

I agree third party seems likely.
I have reason to believe this is not painting a complete picture. I can say this without revealing any substantial info about my role, so I will. I received the following information in response to a question I asked:

For the purposes of game mechanics, there is a distinction between 'physical' abilities and 'active' abilities. It isn't directly stated, and I can't explain this in detail due to it being role-relevant, but I am of the opinion based on what I have received that a 'physical' can still be an ability that one actively gets to make a choice on; I admit I'm not 100% sure on that. And I am going to send in a request to CKD for clarification after I finish writing this post.

The fact that clergy used the word 'active' specifically leads me to conclude that the distinction is very likely relevant in this context.

And, no, those terms weren't elaborated further for me. However, given that Spyrex's power is the power to select from x number of potions which, in turn, do 'something' (whether it be the conferral of an ability or, as may have been the case, the turning of spyrex into some sort of zombiestumpghost), it seems to me that Spyrex very likely does not possess an 'active' ability.
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1416 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Benmage »

vollkan wrote:
Vote: Benmage
. Until you give me a proper reason for your vote, I'm going to assume I don't need one for mine, and I encourage others to join in.
I more or less did a few posts later....but i do feel encouraged to join in. :lol:
SocioPath
SocioPath
Mafia Scum
SocioPath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1417 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:48 pm

Post by SocioPath »

vollkan wrote:For the purposes of game mechanics, there is a distinction between 'physical' abilities and 'active' abilities. It isn't directly stated, and I can't explain this in detail due to it being role-relevant, but I am of the opinion based on what I have received that a 'physical' can still be an ability that one actively gets to make a choice on; I admit I'm not 100% sure on that. And I am going to send in a request to CKD for clarification after I finish writing this post.

The fact that clergy used the word 'active' specifically leads me to conclude that the distinction is very likely relevant in this context.

And, no, those terms weren't elaborated further for me. However, given that Spyrex's power is the power to select from x number of potions which, in turn, do 'something' (whether it be the conferral of an ability or, as may have been the case, the turning of spyrex into some sort of zombiestumpghost), it seems to me that Spyrex very likely does not possess an 'active' ability.
Come on, you can at least pretend to read my posts.
Aut Tace Aut Meliora Loquere Silentio.
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1418 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:59 pm

Post by Benmage »

vollkan wrote: Well, I agree it's likely that many or most roles follow the -er rule (that's why I proposed it in the first place). So far, all town roles have been -er roles. (The Giver, The Hugger, The Sculptor, The Rodent Tamer vs. The Rats, The Scribe, and (alledgedly) The Alchemist). But it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would necessarily be true 100% of the time.
What about ending in "-xr"...also try saying all the town revealed names out loud...theres something to note.

SpryeX
Your role PM say anything about the Giver? (sorry if you all ready did, rough weekend + football = falling behind.)
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1419 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:36 pm

You're suggesting I shouldn't pipe up when a player says something I think to be bullshit?
I'm suggesting maybe a sarcastic and snide little comment is less useful than just a reasonable question about it. Because maybe they have, for example, role information which is important to the situation driving their suspicion.

Also - your method of commenting as you read is frustrating when the issue you're commenting on has already been resolved, as the people above me can attest to.

Havign said that, I agree abotu my role name and was thinking about making a comment about paedophilia to breadcrumb but decided against it due to good taste :D

Active is specifrically mentioned in my role PM. This was why I was asking about Spy's actions last night for the first 5 or so posts, including one specifically askign if it was active or passive at one point.

If you followed the resulting conversation, the fact that Spyrex claims to not have a 'type' line in his role PM is suspicious. I have some sympathy with the -xr thought as well. However, as I've said numerous times, I don't see Spy as scum if he targets SB with his action (and see no reason atm to think this isn't true), more likely a third party.

I agree that it's possible everything is fine, the non-ER role and the lack of 'type' is genuine and he's town, but I'm not convinced. What I AM convinced of is SB's reasoning for thinking Spy is scum (and subsequent vote of someone else) is rubbish. More 1-shot ability claiming and SB votes imho.
I'm old now.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #1420 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:51 pm

Post by vollkan »

SocioPath wrote:
vollkan wrote:For the purposes of game mechanics, there is a distinction between 'physical' abilities and 'active' abilities. It isn't directly stated, and I can't explain this in detail due to it being role-relevant, but I am of the opinion based on what I have received that a 'physical' can still be an ability that one actively gets to make a choice on; I admit I'm not 100% sure on that. And I am going to send in a request to CKD for clarification after I finish writing this post.

Come on, you can at least pretend to read my posts.
What you guessed is correct and fits exactly with my point, I just have proof of it is all.
Benmage wrote: I more or less did a few posts later
No, you didn't.

Let me quote each post by you regarding Spyrex since then:
Benmage wrote:
SpyreX wrote: I am The Alchemist. I make potions
but don't know what I make
but yet people still want them. There's a war on but I don't care - I have a new set of potions and want to find out what they do.
You dont know what they do....
SpyreX wrote: I am The Alchemist. I make potions but don't know what I make but yet people still want them. There's a war on but I don't care -
I have a new set of potions and want to find out what they do.
But you have a new set and want to find out what they do....

Odddd
This is just stupid flavour tunneling.
Benmage wrote:
SpyreX wrote:...

Mine does not have that line specifically. However, it does reference the word Special.
Wow, vote him already.
This makes no sense. The word Special or something like it would make sense; we don't know what the full set of ability categories are.
Benmage wrote:
SpyreX wrote: IF I had a bullet it would be going in SB or Ben at the moment.
Telling your partners what todo tonight?
Generic smear post.

-----------
So yeah, great explanation.
Benmage wrote: What about ending in "-xr"
What you are doing here is akin to acting under confirmation bias. Nothing in the names evidences Spyrex being scum, and yet you are latching onto any difference between Spyrex's name and the
four
town names we have seen so far in order to justify your ridiculous attack on him.

As I already said, for all the silly pedantic spelling "-xr" stuff you can pull out, what we see at the moment is that the town names are names of roles that people can perform. Some of those end in -er, or -or, but, absent some truly compelling evidence, it would be plainly idiotic to run on the assumption that town roles HAVE to end in -xr.

(seriously, can this please be the last pile of total craplogic I have to deal with?)

[quote="Ben"
...also try saying all the town revealed names out loud...theres something to note. [/quote]

Gasp! All the town names so far have odd numbers of syllables whereas "The Al-chem-ist" has an even number. Spyrex is soooo scum!
clergy wrote: I'm suggesting maybe a sarcastic and snide little comment is less useful than just a reasonable question about it.
I don't believe it is less useful, but I know for a fact it's a hell of a lot more fun.
clergy wrote: Havign said that, I agree abotu my role name and was thinking about making a comment about paedophilia to breadcrumb but decided against it due to good taste
Pfft...you're a paedophile priest. "Good taste" is pretty much irrelevant.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #1421 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:55 pm

Post by vollkan »

Clergy wrote: If you followed the resulting conversation, the fact that Spyrex claims to not have a 'type' line in his role PM is suspicious.
A thought just clicked in my head after I pushed submit, and it is important on this point.

Again, I'm going to have to be vague, but the categories of ability I referred to ("active" and "physical") do apply to scum. In which case, one would expect scum to also have the line in their pm.

Spyrex, can you confirm whether or not you have a field in your PM for "Power type", like the example PM below?
Name: The Mod
Power Type: Active, Passive, Special, or...???
Alignment: With the Council, With the Converters, or….????
Flavor: Blah blah blah, I’m a dirty tramp
Power: Kick Ass
Win Condition: “You win when all who oppose The Council are eliminated.”, “You win when there is no way for the followers of the Council can win.”, or….???
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1422 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Mine does not have that line specifically. However, it does reference the word Special.
I'm old now.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #1423 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Post by vollkan »

SerialClergyman wrote:

Yes, I wasn't clear what that meant
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1424 (ISO) » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Ok.
I'm old now.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”