Double-Headed & Speedy Deep South Massive public review

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ren Hoek
Ren Hoek
Goon
Ren Hoek
Goon
Goon

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:19 am

Post by Ren Hoek »

sex w/ shafteds wife club wrote:
elvis_knits wrote:Shelvis?
I took it in a different direction...too long?

It doesn't easily lend itself to convenient abbreviations.

The avatar isn't shafted's wife.

Try again.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:19 am

Post by elvis_knits »

hahaha... I <3 it.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:24 am

Post by shaft.ed »

abreviate it SWSWC

The avatar is what happens when you mix Shaft and Elvis.

elvis gets it, that's all that matters.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:24 am

Post by Adel »

Max, what alternative do you have in mind?

I can totally rationalize why the SK would "kill" himself. It could be an accident (poison, explosives, falling down the sairs with with a sharp knife in his hand, car accident, running with scissors) ... he could wait too long and feel like he is about to get caught... plus I like the mechanic for my own personal reasons. The important part is that IF there is a random kill, it will be public knowledge to all players that the kill was randomly chosen. If a player decides that random kill selection is optimal, I won't have a problem with that.

In terms of abstract game design, is there a problem with the mechanic?
Last edited by Adel on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:26 am

Post by shaft.ed »

I agree with max. as long as this is in the Role PM:
you are immune to kills.
I don't see why he should die.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:30 am

Post by Adel »

Serial Killer You are an evil and calculating Serial Killer. Because you are so crafty, you are immune to kills
other than your own

is this the simple fix we are looking for?
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Adel wrote:
Serial Killer You are an evil and calculating Serial Killer. Because you are so crafty, you are immune to kills
other than your own

If that's the way you want it to work, that's the way you should word it. I'm not sure I see the point of having the SK be able to suicide. IMHO just missing out on a NK is punishment enough.
PoketheAlpaca
PoketheAlpaca
Townie
PoketheAlpaca
Townie
Townie

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:33 am

Post by PoketheAlpaca »

Hi.
This is a Populartajo Pokerface shared account.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:35 am

Post by PokerFace »

Nice. Avy has joker symbol in the corner

Edit: and a funny little creature too. may need way to put an alpaca in there but its looks pretty good as is
Last edited by PokerFace on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
populartajo
populartajo
Alpaca Caliente
populartajo
Alpaca Caliente
Alpaca Caliente

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:38 am

Post by populartajo »

PokerFace wrote:Nice. Avy has joker symbol in the corner.
Heh.
This will be an amazing game.
Call me Tajo.
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12894
Coming summer 2010: Tajo's Starcraft Mafia.
Tajo's MagictheGathering Mafia
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:39 am

Post by Adel »

shaft.ed wrote:
Adel wrote:
other than your own

If that's the way you want it to work, that's the way you should word it. I'm not sure I see the point of having the SK be able to suicide. IMHO just missing out on a NK is punishment enough.
deleted my longish response. Insert mod WIFOM here.

editing now.

I really appreciate the feedback.
Last edited by Adel on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:40 am

Post by shaft.ed »

cool avy
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:42 am

Post by Green Crayons »

I'm confused as to the purpose behind the "may kill yourself in the random choice if your action is chosen for you." I don't see how it adds anything to the actual affect and play of the game that the normal "if you don't make a choice, a random player [with the exception of you] will be targetted for you."

In both situations (where the random choice by the mod includes the SK and where it does not include the SK), an action
will
occur: either the SK will make the decision, or the mod will make the decision for the SK (via random selection). No actual difference in the outcome of an action taking place.

In both situations (same two), randomness can play a part regardless of the moderator's intervention. If the SK decides not to act, the mod uses randomness to decide. If the SK decides to act, they can hit up Random.org and use their RNG to find a target. No actual difference in the ability to use randomness.

However, it would seem that the "potential to target yourself" clause is intended to ensure that the SK is keeping up with the game segmented action blocks, but nothing else. The SK's player interaction will be kept in check by anti-lurking rules/other players. The SK's action night choice will be made regardless of any (in)action by the SK in either scenario, so the game won't be affected by a lack of the SK's required choice. The SK can use randomness with or without the moderator's assistance, so randomness can always be in play. So with that as the only goal of the clause (to ensure the SK is keeping up with the choice blocks), I find it a bit odd to throw in there when there are a slew of players who are lining up around the block to play the game.

It seems to be a pre-emptive judgment that someone is going to flake, which I find to be highly suspect seeing as how anxious these folks are to play. It also seems to be a potentially harsh/excessive consequence for accidently missing the end of a choice block without realizing it. In terms of abstract game design, it seems to excessively potentially punish the player in making a choice that they would never make for no reason other than missing/misjudging an action block.
"This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is 'actually' innocent." In re Davis, 557 U.S. 952, 955 (2009) (Scalia, J., dissenting).
PoketheAlpaca
PoketheAlpaca
Townie
PoketheAlpaca
Townie
Townie

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:00 am

Post by PoketheAlpaca »

PF here

All /in
This is a Populartajo Pokerface shared account.
ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:25 am

Post by ekiM »

I would like to play. I don't know anybody, though.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:30 am

Post by Adel »

GC, symmetry between the Compulsive Vig and the Sk is the primary reason for the random clause. Between all of the 84 hours blocks being explicitly listed in the first post in UTC (along with a link explaining the world's time zones and what UTC is, and link to a countdown timer for each action block), the hydra, and everyone being able predict what the next multiple of 150 is, there is no excuse for accidentally missing or misjudging an action block. If they do, then they are being penalized for poor play.

The SK
MUST
kill. The Compulsive Vig
MUST
kill.

I'm rather surprised that this is what is drawing attention. I expected an objection along the lines of "what if the town tries to force the Vig/SK to out herself day 1" which I was prepared to refuse to answer, or "what if the town tries to speed lynch as quickly as possible before the scum get another kill?" which I am honestly not sure about.

I'm not seeing why you guys don't like the random kill/possible suicide element. What are you saying that I am not hearing? What is wrong with the random kill/suicide?
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:41 am

Post by Max »

The SK would always rather kill during each time block BECAUSE the SK would want the town to believe that there is a vig not an SK, I don't see anything wrong with not providing Symmetry.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:00 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Self-annihilation of a Survivor role is not really good game design IMO. Self-annihilation of the Compulsive Vigilante at least doesn't autolose for his faction. I think the punishment does not fit the crime here, and it has the potential to totally jack somebody up if, say, Time-Warner or British Telecom have an outage or the guy down the street hits the power box with a backhoe five hours before the choice period ends. It's overkill; maybe force them to miss their next (chosen) kill if they ever miss a choice action? That's doubling the penalty without an autolose, and can be explained thematically for similar reasons (mental breakdown, etc).

What to do if the town tries to force a kill on their terms is up to the player who gets the role to decide, not the moderator. That's probably why you're not seeing pre-game commentary on that part.
Retired as of October 2014.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:05 am

Post by Max »

I have one question...

What would happen if 2 players decide to post obsessively just to go through 150 posts as quick as possible, would it be fair on the SK if he lost because some townies planned to go through that many posts at such a rate.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:07 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Max wrote:I have one question...

What would happen if 2 players decide to post obsessively just to go through 150 posts as quick as possible, would it be fair on the SK if he lost because some townies planned to go through that many posts at such a rate.
Brilliant strategy, unless you don't mind killing of your town vig with the same odds.
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:13 am

Post by Green Crayons »

Adel wrote:The SK MUST kill. The Compulsive Vig MUST kill.
I know. I understand. And the moderator usually makes the choice (via RNG) for the power role when a choice is not sent in. But I don't see how adding that actual SK to the pool of potential targets helps to accomplish ensuring the compulsive nature of the role. A choice will be made, regardless of if the SK sends in a night choice or not, regardless of whether or not the SK is part of the potential pool of random choices. The "you might target yourself in the random choice" clause does not affect the fact that a choice will be made.

Adel wrote:If they do, then they are being penalized for poor play.
They are being penalized for poor play in just one section of the game, which ignores their play overall. If they are lurking, then the anti-lurk rules and other players will be nailing them on that front. Conversely, if they're totally up-to-date with discussion and are exceptionally active, you might be penalizing an otherwise good player. It's like you're taking a incredibly selective aspect of their play to determine their activity level and if it isn't up to par then their head might be on the chopping block.

It just seems weird to penalize them for poor play when the only "poor play" this targets is the player forgetting or missing a deadline - but in doing so, a choice is going to be made anyways, so it doesn't have any affect on the fact that a choice will be made. It has the potential to make a decision that would never otherwise be taken (suicide) which could poentially affect the game's course exponentially. The transgression and the reprocussion just seem incredibly out of sync. Not to mention the mental affect such a reprocussion will have: "I really want to wait until closer to the deadline, but I'm not sure if I will be around so I'm just going to make the kill now." It has a major affect on how the individual(s) play the game (more conservative), as the threat of a random suicide is nothing compared to instant loss.

Adel wrote:I'm not seeing why you guys don't like the random kill/possible suicide element. What are you saying that I am not hearing? What is wrong with the random kill/suicide?
I don't think anyone takes issue with the random kill part. It's just the potential for suicide that has me scratching my head.
"This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is 'actually' innocent." In re Davis, 557 U.S. 952, 955 (2009) (Scalia, J., dissenting).
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:16 am

Post by shaft.ed »

^This guy's wordy^
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:17 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

shaft.ed wrote:
Max wrote:I have one question...

Brilliant strategy, unless you don't mind killing of your town vig with the same odds.
Ugh, good point. WIH II frequently got 150 posts in 8-16 hours, even when the player base was cut down. I suspect with full hydras and the intentional encouragement of activity, this game could be similarly charged.
Retired as of October 2014.
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:29 am

Post by Green Crayons »

shaft.ed wrote:^This guy's wordy^
And this is one of the times I'm really trying not to be. I'm finding it difficult to accurately and adequately describe my issue with the clause she's using. :|
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:46 am

Post by Adel »

Adel wrote: I expect that hydras made up of players from different time-zones will enjoy a tactical advantage in both games.
Mr. Flay wrote:. I think the punishment does not fit the crime here, and it has the potential to totally jack somebody up if, say, Time-Warner or British Telecom have an outage or the guy down the street hits the power box with a backhoe five hours before the choice period ends. It's overkill; maybe force them to miss their next (chosen) kill if they ever miss a choice action? That's doubling the penalty without an autolose, and can be explained thematically for similar reasons (mental breakdown, etc).
Thanks for offering an alternative. I am considering it. I think the threat of both Time-Warner & British Telecom taking a hit at the same time is slim though, and I don't think a hydrated Compulsive Vig or SK is going to miss a kill. Should I allow the vig and sk to pre-submitt their kills ( "as soon as the next block begins, I will kill ____" ) as an alternative solution?
Green Crayons wrote: Not to mention the mental affect such a reprocussion will have: "I really want to wait until closer to the deadline, but I'm not sure if I will be around so I'm just going to make the kill now." It has a major affect on how the individual(s) play the game (more conservative), as the threat of a random suicide is nothing compared to instant loss.
{snip}

I don't think anyone takes issue with the random kill part. It's just the potential for suicide that has me scratching my head.
perhaps I am just randomly hard-core like that. I like that mechanic, and the pressure it adds to that player.
Mr. Flay wrote:Ugh, good point. WIH II frequently got 150 posts in 8-16 hours, even when the player base was cut down. I suspect with full hydras and the intentional encouragement of activity, this game could be similarly charged.
I think the threat of Scum and a trigger happy Vig or SK getting another kill in every 150 posts will discourage such. I expect the 84-hour bock game to be far more active than the 150-post block game.
I'm finding it difficult to accurately and adequately describe my issue with the clause she's using.
on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "very minor quibble" and 10 being "she is making a huge mistake that could destroy the game" how severe is your objection? I estimate the risk to be of moderate intensity and unlikely probability.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”