ShadowGirl
ShadowGirl
Mafia Scum
ShadowGirl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:26 am

Post by ShadowGirl »

Don wrote:How many games have you read/been in with juls? Can you provide evidence where juls is not “easily frustrated/irritable”?
Just one - where I replaced her. I have not yet been in a game with her. The meta point is very weak, obviously. I just don't believe that she would play the gambit as scum.

Why am I providing evidence for such a thing?
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:38 am

Post by don_johnson »

ShadowGirl wrote:
Don wrote:How many games have you read/been in with juls? Can you provide evidence where juls is not “easily frustrated/irritable”?
Just one - where I replaced her. I have not yet been in a game with her. The meta point is very weak, obviously. I just don't believe that she would play the gambit as scum.

first off: you are not providing evidence. second, i am skeptical of meta arguments in general. you pointed to her play in a specific way and stated that it was what led you to believe her claim. i am asking you to back up your statements with data. if you can't, then perhaps you should avoid making such statements. why don't you believe that she would play the gambit as scum? i.e. she claimed miller and has all but dissappeared for day one. noone is voting her and other players are willing to use her claim to test the sanity of a cop. sounds like an awfully comfortable place for scum to be. yet you believe her claim based on "obviously weak" meta. thank you for clarifying.
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:08 am

Post by VP Baltar »

don_johnson wrote:
VP Baltar wrote:
don johnson wrote:^^ I don’t get this. Juls has claimed miller. There is no way to confirm that. Using her to check sanities makes no sense to me. It would not be a good indicator at all.
No one said that Juls was confirmed as a miller. She very well may be scum trying to gambit, but I was merely suggesting one possibility for why her claiming miller early, if true, could be a good idea. She would obviously know if she was town or not and would then have to assess whether claiming would be a good idea.
what?
I was speaking hypothetically about a situation in which Juls claiming miller early would make sense in the context of her being town. What don't you understand?
vp wrote:
Meh. If a cop received multiple guilties we should already be lynching people, no?
So you are saying if a cop received multiple guilties in a row, you would be inclined to completely trust their sanity without question?
Seems funny for someone who is so doubtful of Juls' claim
bolded is the giant misrepresentation of my viewpoint on the juls claim.
You're right, I didn't do a reread at that moment and it seemed to me that you were implying you didn't believe her. I missed the giant fencesit you took on whether you believe her or not...and no one asked you if it was a tell or not
dj wrote:Juls has given no reason as yet to believe or disbelieve what she says. I find the claim a null tell.

cop investigates one player a night. several means "more than two". meaning cop would have three results and it would be day 4 by the time this "sanity" question would arise according to your theory. if we lynch the first "guilty" player and they flip town, don't you think we would already be questioning sanity? why on earth would we not be lynching players producing "guilty" results? its convoluted, but i don't see how investigating a claimed miller does anything to clear up "sanity" issues. we would need to lynch juls to confirm her role in order to be able to trust the results, just like anyone else.
I bolded the giant misrep you made in the last part considering I said multiple, not "several". See how easy it is to miss those kinds of things?
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:29 am

Post by don_johnson »

way to avoid the issue.

sorry, i didn't realize that in your "hypothetical", juls was telling th truth and we somehow knew that. whatever.

perhaps i am misunderstanding the mechanics of the miller role. question to anyone: how does investigating a claimed miller speak to sanity?

i am not going to argue the semantics of the term "null tell". i analyze posts to determine peoples alignment. posts and actions in thread are either townie, scummy, or null. obviously, i would believe something that reads town, not believe something that reads scum, and "fencesit" on something that reads null.

regarding multiple vs. several:

let's try again. cop investigates one player a night. multiple means "more than one". meaning cop would have at least two results and it would be day 3 by the time this "sanity" question would arise according to your theory.
if we lynch the first "guilty" player and they flip town, don't you think we would already be questioning sanity? why on earth would we not be lynching players producing "guilty" results?
its convoluted, but i don't see how investigating a claimed miller does anything to clear up "sanity" issues. we would need to lynch juls to confirm her role in order to be able to trust the results, just like anyone else.

this time, try answering the bolded questions.

also, explain why i shouldn't be "fencesitting" as you call it in regards to whether or not i trust what someone says who has posted all of four times. i am not inclined to believe that a mafia forum is ripe with honesty.
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:52 am

Post by VP Baltar »

DJ wrote:if we lynch the first "guilty" player and they flip town, don't you think we would already be questioning sanity? why on earth would we not be lynching players producing "guilty" results?
Yes, doing as such would call the sanity in question, however, it would also require the cop to out themself on D2. If we had lynched no scum at that point, and the alledgedly guilty person flipped town we would then have an outted powerrole we can't be sure of and a second "guilty" that we would be unsure of.

As opposed to a cop with questionable sanity investigating a miller, who should come up guilty as that's the definition of a miller, and determining their sanity based upon that. It doesn't confirm the cop's sanity, but it gives them a stronger basis for believing one way or another.

Which do you think would cause less collateral damage for the town?

Anyway, Vi was right that getting too in-depth into hypotheticals doesn't help the town that much.
dj wrote:also, explain why i shouldn't be "fencesitting" as you call it in regards to whether or not i trust what someone says who has posted all of four times. i am not inclined to believe that a mafia forum is ripe with honesty.
Because, how hard is it to say that you believe a claim one way or another, or to at least give an inclination as to which way you are leaning? Juls may not have posted, but people had brought up relevant meta reasons why she may have done that move. You could have commented upon those. Instead, you took the easy road of saying you don't believe or disbelieve her at this moment. Even if you had picked one or the other you still could have changed your read based on what Juls says when she comes back. I don't like it when people leave their options open to fall on whatever side gains popular opinion later.

That being said, lots of people are being wishy washy about it at this point, so I can't fault you more than any of the other 4 or so.
YOUR AD HERE

ShadowGirl
ShadowGirl
Mafia Scum
ShadowGirl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:08 am

Post by ShadowGirl »

don_johnson wrote:
ShadowGirl wrote:

first off: you are not providing evidence. second, i am skeptical of meta arguments in general. you pointed to her play in a specific way and stated that it was what led you to believe her claim. i am asking you to back up your statements with data. if you can't, then perhaps you should avoid making such statements. why don't you believe that she would play the gambit as scum? i.e. she claimed miller and has all but dissappeared for day one. noone is voting her and other players are willing to use her claim to test the sanity of a cop. sounds like an awfully comfortable place for scum to be. yet you believe her claim based on "obviously weak" meta. thank you for clarifying.
Point one: I still don't get what the point in me providing evidence for her not being 'easily frustrated/irritable'. Can you explain this more clearly?

Point two: By providing evidence... wouldn't that be the game I linked to? The meta thing and not believing her to play such a gambit as scum are two different points, not correlating to each other. It wasn't the meta that ultimately lead me to believe her - the being 'easily irrated'. The fact that she wouldn't play such a gambit as scum is because one : I don't believe her to be that experienced to perhaps successfully pull something off. (No offense to you, Juls.); two: the majority of the player list are experienced players, and would surely do anything but give her a free ride based on that. The fact that she claimed first thing is the icing on the cake, because of the experience she had in the other game she was miller, if she recieved the role again I believe she would claim it early. I don't see how all eyes on her is a comfortable position for scum, especially if cops want to specifically target her.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:20 am

Post by PokerFace »

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 47#1643547
The underlined portion here was an example an example of a straight answer that rhinox could have given. He could have also given: "I don't like her claim because
blah blah blah
. I don't believe her and thinks she's scum. Vote Juls!" Something he could have given that would have also been a bad logical backtrack answer would be: "I don't like her claim it is terrible for all the right reasons which is why it is incredibly believable!"

Not sure how I was chainsawing since I didn't claim miller myself as a defence for myself. Did you mean the bodyguard defence or am I drawing an incorrect simularity? http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php ... aw_Defense
I don't know about Jul's threatening to quit mafiascum, but it doesn't earn any sympathy votes from me. I'm still mistrustful of something that potentially guarantees a free ride to end game, no matter what meta lies behind it. At the same time, I can see pro-town value in that deception, in case she's not a miller but a good power role that wants to remain untouched by a mafia that is more concerned with finding power roles than a miller that the town might not trust entirely.
Ok that answers my question on how you thought it could be a ploy.
ZEEnon wrote:
Oh hey guys! Fast start to this game, I like it.

Juls claiming miller early on is pro-town for the most part.
This lets us know that we do in fact have a cop.
It also helps the cop become aware that there very well may be a godfather role in the game.
Not only that, but if a cop were to say investigate her the night before LYLO, that could end up losing the game for us.
The draw back to this is that she could very well be scum using this as an excuse to avoid cop investigations.
I view this as a null-tell towards her alignment, but it does help us with set-up speculation.

PokerFace wrote:ZEEnon = Which do you think is better, a random vote stage at the start or a discussion stage
In my opinion, random voting stage doesn't really benefit us at all,
and usually ends up in a bandwagon on town early on for pathetic reasons.
In my experience, town-aligned players are more prone to making mistakes than scum are.
This is because scum are more cautious, while town know they have nothing to fear.
Is there a reason you post in blue? Can't say I'm a fan of your answers but I don't believe they make you obv scum either. A completely random vote like a dice roll is bad but an arbitraury vote based on the game can catch scum on day 1. The most pro-town thing to do as miller in my mind is exactly what charlaton said. Act super pro-town in order to avoid investigations and draw night kills. Getting nightkilled as miller without having to claim or get investigated is a win in my book. Claiming early as miller can have the usual con telling scum you aren't a powerole. They will focus else where to lynch and or kill town's power roles. Also Strangely enough I've actually seen games with millers and GFs and no cops at all. So I don't know if we can gain something from speculating further. Probably isn't a good idea to speculate as SG pointed out.
don_johnson wrote:I would like you to explain this connection of baltar/rhinox?
its a slight suspiscion I have based on this.
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 58#1643058
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 11#1643111
I've seen alot of players avoid scrutinizing their buddies in order to avoid connections and him noticing SG and not rhinox's stance struck me as him avoiding Rhinox's more obvious wishywashyness.
rhinox wrote:what benefits exist from trying to pair up scum early in the game?
Well it basically further states your train of thought so that people can see what you are thinking, where were you going with your thought process. I've also found it fairly useful in finding entire scum groups on day one before. Example here: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8537
I pointed out 3 out of the 4 scum on day 1. Got shot night 1 as a result.

General question to those who have played with rhinox before. Does he normally act cautiosly on all options in games, or do you feel this trait is unique to only his scum or town play?

ATM Balter seems to view of don_johnson as fencesitting. Not sure if I 100% agree with it or get balter's logic there. I'm gonna look at the precise answers given shortly to clear up my confusion there.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Post by Vi »

d_j 94 wrote:Why are you defending juls?
Heading off what I think are bad attacks =/= defending Juls.

I don't see where the basis of your two comments about people assuming that Juls is a confirmed Miller is coming from.
d_j 94 wrote:Also, why not question shadow girls “meta” argument?
I don't see a reason to. Do you?
*reads to You 100*
I don't see ShadowGirl's reason for letting Juls's Miller claim pass to be that scummy. Why are you focusing on it like a magnifying glass in the sun? Do you suspect ShadowGirl?
d_j 94 wrote:I am stunned that everyone seems to be “okay” with letting juls claim miller and sit quietly as we all discuss it.
Juls claims to be V/LA, but that doesn't seem to be impeding her Mish Mash duties :?
You may be on to something here.

---
VP Baltar 96 wrote:So you are saying if a cop received multiple guilties in a row, you would be inclined to completely trust their sanity without question?
There's something really obvious that I think you're missing. And d_j gets it immediately--
d_j 98 wrote:if we lynch the first "guilty" player and they flip town, don't you think we would already be questioning sanity?
What bothers me about this exchange is how Gorrad jumped onto VP Baltar's side of the life raft in 97.
@Gorrad:
Why are you so interested in a potential Cop confirming sanity?

---
PokerFace 99 wrote:I see a slight down side to it pending how significant or ill significant the character is. Some unknown in the white tiger will probably tell us nothing while someone that could rationaly be a miller would be more believeable. Basically the significance of her character can effect how her claim is viewed either way. normally though I see flavor claimed with role in theme games.
Let me ask this--Do you think the Mafia have falseclaims in this game?

---
d_j 102 wrote:question to anyone: how does investigating a claimed miller speak to sanity?
Jahudo answered this already :P

This is getting tiresome. Is Cop sanity
really
that big a potential issue in this game? I personally prefer to assume that things AREN'T screwy until they are demonstrated to be so.

---
PokerFace 106 wrote:General question to those who have played with rhinox before. Does he normally act cautiosly on all options in games, or do you feel this trait is unique to only his scum or town play?
I wouldn't place a value on a meta read on Rhinox at this stage in the game.
It's been so long since I've played with Rhinox that I can't remember.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Vi wrote:
PokerFace 99 wrote:I see a slight down side to it pending how significant or ill significant the character is. Some unknown in the white tiger will probably tell us nothing while someone that could rationaly be a miller would be more believeable. Basically the significance of her character can effect how her claim is viewed either way. normally though I see flavor claimed with role in theme games.
Let me ask this--Do you think the Mafia have falseclaims in this game?
Point Taken. They probably have them 9 times out of 10 in theme games.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Juls
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Post by Juls »

Pokerface 21 wrote:Should we ask for flavor with Juls claim at this time?
You can ask but I won't give it, I have my reasons.
Rhinox 24 wrote:However, its possible she'd been planning on trying it ever since that last game she linked to.
Recall that I was scum in Wolf and the Traveler's Road. Why would I wait to "try" it in this one as opposed to that one?
VP Baltar 33 wrote:On a purely hypothetical level, if cop received multiple guilties in a row and wasn't sure if they were true or not it could be worthwhile to test it on someone you are somewhat sure of what the result should be.
I would not be the best person to check sanity on because there is no way to confirm my role to you all until death.
Rhinox 37 wrote:We're on page 2 and Juls has only posted what, 5 times, and you already think you can match her playstyle in this game to her other game? I find this suspicious.
ORLY? Didn't you say as much with this...
Rhinox 24 wrote:Since I've been in so many games with Juls, I would say I don't think its in her nature to try this kind of a gambit as scum.
--------
PokerFace 29 wrote:I have seen/heard tales from Moratorioum of Juls getting frustraited deeply at a game even one as simple as a mishmash game so I already know part of the story checks out.
WTF? He is sleeping on the couch tonight. Passion is good. I am a competitive person. I hate cheaters, liars, and ass holes. Luckily, I don't see any in this game.

Ah...I see Pokerface caught the same backtracking I saw from Rhinox...I guess it is my turn to ask a question. Has anyone played with pokerface before and is it his style to scum hunt by asking several "what do you think of x" type questions?
Pokerface 39 wrote:I have seen/heard tales from Moratorioum of Juls getting frustraited deeply at a game even one as simple as a mishmash game so I already know part of the story checks out.
To the best of my knowledge, my "character" name is not one of the characters in Cowboy Bebop (I would need to verify that though, it has been years since I watched)...but you kinda just told us that you have a main character's name...I would be interested to know how many people do/don't have main character names but I don't know how to ask it without revealing potentially too much detail. NOTE: I am not asking that question at this point just thinking out loud, do not answer it and blame me for you answering!
Zilla 60 wrote:I don't know about Jul's threatening to quit mafiascum, but it doesn't earn any sympathy votes from me. I'm still mistrustful of something that potentially guarantees a free ride to end game, no matter what meta lies behind it.
And I am not looking for your sympathy? I royally screwed up in that game. I was too "young" of a player and I got quizzed strongly. It made me seem more scummy just because I didn't like the tone of the questioning. That being said, I learned a lesson and I am implementing that lesson here.

@Zeenon - Post restriction or a fondness for blue?
VP Baltar 76 wrote:@Juls, have you seen Cowboy Bebop before and if not what made you decide to join this game?
A bit far into the game to ask a rhetorical question no? I actually explained it earlier. I watched Cowboy Bebop, I liked it. I like Jahudo as a mod, so I prein'd.
Rhinox 79 wrote:Juls' current behavior tells me nothing about her allignment, because she hasn't really said or done anything apart from claim miller. When she starts playing more, I'll take my meta of her more into consideration.
School, finals, work. They are all done now. Jahudo can confirm that I told him I had finals yesterday and you should know it full well being I mentioned it
like 100 times
a few times in another game we are in.
don_johnson 94 wrote:Juls: please share your thoughts and expectations. Do you see any way that your claim/role can benefit town?
I have no expectations. I just want to hunt scum and end this theory conversation. There are pros and cons to each method. I chose this one and it can't be undone (nor would I undo it).
ShadowGirl 105 wrote:I don't believe her to be that experienced to perhaps successfully pull something off. (No offense to you, Juls.);
Well, I appreciate the "no offense" but I am slightly offended. I have played in quiet a few more games sense then and I think I do a decent job. Don't base your views of me on just one game that I got frustrated in.
Pokerface 106 wrote:Does he normally act cautiosly on all options in games, or do you feel this trait is unique to only his scum or town play?
No he doesn't typically act cautious but I haven't played with him as scum yet (that I am aware of...still in two ongoing games with him). However, I don't know if I am willing to put him off as being "cautious" straight away. It could very well just be a nervous interaction with Vi because they do have good meta on each other.
Vi 107 wrote:Juls claims to be V/LA, but that doesn't seem to be impeding her Mish Mash duties
You may be on to something here.
I got home last night and was pretty tired after taking two finals. I did not feel like posting. I had just enough time to update my Nomic game this morning. You guys might as well be prepared that I I have an 8-5 and other obligations on this sight but I will post at least once a day and probably more.

All that being said I think if I had to choose anyone right now as scum it would be Rhinox or VP Baltar. I am a bit leary about VP's rhetorical question and Rhinox's backtracking is the thing that sticks out to me the most at this moment.

Vote: Rhinox
-------------------------------------
Juls
ShadowGirl
ShadowGirl
Mafia Scum
ShadowGirl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Post by ShadowGirl »

Juls wrote:Well, I appreciate the "no offense" but I am slightly offended. I have played in quiet a few more games sense then and I think I do a decent job. Don't base your views of me on just one game that I got frustrated in.
Apologies. It wasn't meant to be an insult - the sentence following that was meant to be combined with the first one, not to really be read as a seperate point. My thoughts are rather disjointed. It's more of a nod to everyone in this game instead of a shot at you. And I have absolutely no sense of time. Is it really May? o_o;
Zilla
Zilla
Mafia Scum
Zilla
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:05 pm

Post by Zilla »

Okay, I'm current, let me go back and address things...

But first, when did the definition of chainsaw defense change? It was explained to me as "defending another player by attacking their attackers." I'd seen it used that way in more than two games, and I'd never seen it used in the way it's defined on the wiki...

@ Vi's scumbuddy question: I thought it was you who made the questionnaire, that was actually pokerface. I retract my stance on your question asking, since it appears you are asking personal questions to each player that only they can possibly respond to anyway. Instead, this accusation shifts to Pokerface, based on his page 1 questionnaire. From that, I'd say he went soft on Juls (no question at all), ZEEnon (which do you think is better, RVS or discussion?), forbiddenlight (Weren't you the mod of the insane asylum game? What do you think of Juls claim here in relation to it?), and shadowgirl (Should we ask for flavor with Juls claim at this time?).

I see a bit of his reason for not wanting to ask everyone every question, but I think it would have been something to go on if we looked at the people that just repeated other answers.

re: Free ride to endgame:

People agree with me, good for them. Juls didn't know how people would react to her claim when she made it though, and that's why I'm mistrustful of it. It has the potential to guarantee a free ride to endgame with a different player set.

re: this (too detailed to summarize)
The implication in the excerpt from PokerFace's quote is that Juls is lying about being a Miller, not just lying in general. I see why you latched onto this, because as you're reading it this is PokerFace basically putting Juls up as an angel and smiting Rhinox for not recognizing it (here comes the drama), and it really looks bad. But I don't think that's what PF meant.
(I'm also not sure if it qualifies as a chainsaw defense, though I'm sure you'll see this as one.)
I, too, was talking about Juls lying about being a miller and not in general. My accusation is not that he was painting Juls as a saint but that he wanted Rhinox to only have one opinion, and that the opinion he suggested he have is that Juls is not lying.

RE: Vi votes VP Baltar:

I agree with this, that question seemed awfully benign, and serving of no real purpose. There are a few times VP makes some good points, but this is not one of them.

Re: Rhinox and the point about asking questions:

I see Rhinox's point here; he thought discussion instead of random voting was a good idea, but he's trying to make a point that he didn't think that meant "Everyone asks everyone else questions instead of voting." For instance, I don't typically ask questions ever, I levy accusations and watch how the accused react. Question-asking was never a part of the RVS-shunning contract.

Re: Rhinox's meta on Juls:

This seems a bit suspect. Something about his explanation on where he sits on his Juls read feels a bit contradictory, but I can't really place it. I'll be watching this.

Re: Juls' current behavior:

V-LA or not, her absence is disconcerting. I can't help but feel her not-posting is a safe thing for her to do right now, regardless of outside circumstances. It could be a helpful coincidence, but Vi says she's still Mish-mashing, which means she ought to at least drop a few posts in here. Not that I can REALLY blame her since this game is pretty intense (there's about 5 different topics floating around).

Re: VP's post about other asking soft questions:

Touche.

Re: Rhinox post 87, "Zilla gave
his
answer in post 58"

Let's get my gender misconception out of the way early, hm?

Re: Gorrad's negatives:

Both Rhinox and Gorrad make good responses to each others posts, and at the end, I think Gorrad sufficiently explains his position. I do really like Rhinox's attack here though. Something feels really genuine about this exchange, and I'd have to say it's brilliantly faked if it's scum.

Re: Don Johnson's:
You seem to think juls is a confirmed miller. I see the “if” in your statement here, but are you drawing lines between scum buddies based on the speculation that juls is telling the truth? I would like you to explain this connection of baltar/rhinox? Personally I am suspicious of baltar at this point, but rhinox seems to be getting victimized. Also, Juls seems to be coasting on the “miller” claim.
You lost me at "but are you drawing lines between scum buddies." I don't see where Baltar/Rhinox comes in in Pokerface's assessment, and the rest of this point seems to hinge on that...

Re: VP's "Multiple guilties/sanity test"

I was totally with Don Johnson on this until VP pulled out the "outing a cop day 2." That was something I hadn't thought of, and I feel kinda dumb for thinking that a cop instantly claims as soon as one guilty is on the table. However, there still is the point that after lynching one "guilty" that comes up innocent, it's possible we have a paranoid cop rather than an insane one, that a framer was involved, and that any number of things are at play that can't be confirmed by wasting an investigation on Juls.

I think this is getting way too hypothetical at this point, and I think VP accounted for the scummy reasoning he had offered before.

Re: character claiming.

The only downside I see is that it may not tell us anything, but, on the occasion Juls is town, it may tell the mafia what kind of flavor is "safe." Though that's pretty shaky in itself because we may not trust Juls' flavor claim, making anyhting associated with it not inherently safe until she's been confirmed. At the same time, if she's forced to character claim and she is mafia, and mafia are easily flavor-recognizable, she may have to make something up and risk getting into a contradiction (provided mafia aren't given safe-claims).

Basically, if mafia are already given safe claims, the character claim won't do much of anything. If not, it could potentially cause a contradiction, and potentially help mafia with flavor, depending on Juls' alignment. I'm in favor of claiming character.

Re: Pokerface's "best miller play"

This is good, I think, but I don't know how much of it is what he thought, and how much of it is based on my earlier assessment of how it's a pro-town ploy, which he evidently read just before making this post. The timing of his opinion here seems like I gave him the idea...
vi wrote:What bothers me about this exchange is how Gorrad jumped onto VP Baltar's side of the life raft in 97.
@Gorrad: Why are you so interested in a potential Cop confirming sanity?
This is true.

-----

And Juls posts before I finish this one.

Re: Why wouldn't I try it there, not here?:

This is WIFOM, unless that game started and finished at nearly the same time this one started, and even then, it's WIFOM.

Re: Juls votes Rhinox:

Good to see you coming out of the gate swinging. As I said in another game, votes are pro-town for establishing accountability.

I'm still suspicious of Pokerface, my vote remains there.
Aware of that. However, you are attacking him repeatedly. Assault and battery can lead to death if sustained over a period of time. ~ Cybele
ZEEnon
ZEEnon
Goon
ZEEnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Post by ZEEnon »

PokerFace wrote:Can't say I'm a fan of your answers but I don't believe they make you obv scum either.
Wait, what?

Vote: PokerFace .
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

juls wrote:you kinda just told us that you have a main character's name
I don't see at all where you got this from the quote you posted in relation to it. Please elaborate.
juls wrote:A bit far into the game to ask a rhetorical question no? I actually explained it earlier. I watched Cowboy Bebop, I liked it. I like Jahudo as a mod, so I prein'd.
It wasn't a rhetorical question at all. I didn't recall seeing you saying this earlier. It was relevant because I like playing a bit strategic early on and I wanted you to answer it before weighing in on the flavor claim discussion. Had you said no (as some other people in this game have apparently not seen it), I would definitely be all about you claiming because it would be less likely that you'd be able to fake a claim easily. Now I know you've seen it. PF also brought up a good point about fake claims potentially being given to scum...though I don't have enough experience in theme games to know how common fakeclaims are. I think at this point I'm willing to wait for a flavour claim. If it gets closer (say a week before) to deadline and we have no other suspects I would likely support it.

juls wrote:I would not be the best person to check sanity on because there is no way to confirm my role to you all until death.
UGH! For the last time, I would like to say that I never said it should be done or any potential cop should investigate you. I merely came up with a hypothetical situation in which claiming miller earlier rather than later
could
be helpful. I really find the fact that people are trying to blow that up as somehow being suspicious pretty ridiculous and grasping.
YOUR AD HERE

Juls
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Post by Juls »

I don't see at all where you got this from the quote you posted in relation to it. Please elaborate.
Because he speculated on which character might be a miller. That said to me that his role was a main character.
Juls
ZEEnon
ZEEnon
Goon
ZEEnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Post by ZEEnon »

Juls wrote:@Zeenon - Post restriction or a fondness for blue?
I always post in blue, it's not a post restriction.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:59 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

juls wrote:Because he speculated on which character might be a miller. That said to me that his role was a main character.
He did not speculate on
which character
might be a miller as far as I recall. He just said that if you claimed flavor it would be important to consider if that character made sense as a potential miller. And even if he said X character in the series could be a miller, how does that mean he is a main character?
YOUR AD HERE

Juls
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Post by Juls »

because there are not a ton of characters in the show if I recall correctly. There are 5 main characters: spike, jet, faye, ed, and ein. Then there are vicious and julia who are part of the main story line. I guess maybe the newscasters could be? Regardless, maybe I read too much into it but that's what I got from it.
Juls
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Post by PokerFace »

@juls you have my 29 and 39 listed as the same thing. Give your husband a break. He's a cool guy. Also I was not trying to imply any character info about myself in either post so I'm not sure what you were going on about there. Since you don't want to discuss flavors here we'll end that part of our conservation.
Zilla wrote:@ Vi's scumbuddy question: I thought it was you who made the questionnaire, that was actually pokerface. I retract my stance on your question asking, since it appears you are asking personal questions to each player that only they can possibly respond to anyway. Instead, this accusation shifts to Pokerface, based on his page 1 questionnaire. From that, I'd say he went soft on Juls (no question at all), ZEEnon (which do you think is better, RVS or discussion?), forbiddenlight (Weren't you the mod of the insane asylum game? What do you think of Juls claim here in relation to it?), and shadowgirl (Should we ask for flavor with Juls claim at this time?).

I see a bit of his reason for not wanting to ask everyone every question, but I think it would have been something to go on if we looked at the people that just repeated other answers.
Vi did ask a group of question to some in context of his random voting if you'll look back. Sorry if I confused you there. The bonus question served a double purpose of seeing who would parrot others perhaps scumily.
I, too, was talking about Juls lying about being a miller and not in general. My accusation is not that he was painting Juls as a saint but that he wanted Rhinox to only have one opinion, and that the opinion he suggested he have is that Juls is not lying.
I suppose I can see where you may have gotten that. I clarified that at the top of post 106
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 84#1644784
rhinox could have disagreed as long as he didn't appear to go back on his logic.
Baltar wrote:UGH! For the last time, I would like to say that I never said it should be done or any potential cop should investigate you. I merely came up with a hypothetical situation in which claiming miller earlier rather than later could be helpful. I really find the fact that people are trying to blow that up as somehow being suspicious pretty ridiculous and grasping.
Huh? I ain't found the time to look back at your back and forth with Don johnson on the event of cops checking millers but I'm begining to think I'm miss read something there or your forget. I'll make time for this shortly.
ZEEnon wrote:
PokerFace wrote:Can't say I'm a fan of your answers but I don't believe they make you obv scum either.
Wait, what?

Vote: PokerFace .
You said it was pro-town of her to claim like that. I think its more pro-town to act super pro-town to get yourself killed at night. This is more of a strategy issue/disagreement than something I think would make a player scum.

I'll give an example. Pardon me if you don't get the entire analogy since you might not be american or see the same news as me. There was recently a news story about a Cop giving a ticket to a Football player. (Yes slow news day) The football player ran a redlight because his mother in law was dieing in the hospital. During the time the officer confronted the player about the ticket outside of the hospital the mother in law died. The player did not got see to her before she died. It was wrong for him to run a red light, but that cop was an asshole for giving him a ticket. The player was wrong, but I don't think he was the bad type that normally ran red lights and deserved punishment. He was doing what he thought was instinctivly correct, go see a dieing relative. You can be wrong about something and not be scum in my mind just as you can be right about the law and still be an asshole for not letting a guy see a dieing relative.
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Post by don_johnson »

vp: i see your point when you state it that way. juls really hit what i was getting at with:
juls wrote:I would not be the best person to check sanity on because there is no way to confirm my role to you all until death.
the way your original post was worded it seemed as though you were speaking with certainty that juls was in fact a miller. if juls is who she says she is, the only ones in this game who should be certain of that are scum, no? which brings me to shadowgirl.
sg wrote:Point one: I still don't get what the point in me providing evidence for her not being 'easily frustrated/irritable'. Can you explain this more clearly?
game starts with a list of names. some are scum and some are town. we don't know which is which. in theory, everyone starts in the middle: neither scum/nor town. when you move a player from the middle to either end, you should be able to explain your reasoning. we don't allow votes with little reasoning, why should we allow "townie brownies" devoid of reasoning? you seem to be working from the standpoint that you believe juls. i can accept this, but you claim that your belief is based on two points. a) meta(of which you point to one game. b) her lack of experience causing you to believe she would not try this type of scum gambit. you have admitted that the meta is weak. tell me this: if you only have one game to draw this meta from, why are you so quick to now call her "inexperienced"? it just seems to me that you are trying to find any way you can to believe her claim. perhaps its because you know it to be true?

in regards to your comments: all eyes are not on her, and why would any cop waste an investigation on her?
sg wrote:The fact that she claimed first thing is the icing on the cake, because of the experience she had in the other game she was miller, if she recieved the role again I believe she would claim it early.
^^ this is the only part of your explanation that makes sense. why are you trying to bolster your position with more than this? i.e. saying her play is "frustrated/irritable, and that she is inexperienced.
vi wrote:I don't see a reason to. Do you?
*reads to You 100*
I don't see ShadowGirl's reason for letting Juls's Miller claim pass to be that scummy.
Why are you focusing on it like a magnifying glass in the sun?
Do you suspect ShadowGirl?
bolded is the lose/lose question. it is not fair to ask such a thing. i am focusing no more on this subject than other players focusing on other things. yes, i suspect anyone who speaks with certainty of the knowledge of anothers role, especially on day 1 when the player in question has a total of four posts. i don't think asking to explain herself is out of line. in fact, there is a huge discrepancy in her reasoning. do you know what it is?
vi wrote:This is getting tiresome. Is Cop sanity really that big a potential issue in this game? I personally prefer to assume that things AREN'T screwy until they are demonstrated to be so.
cop sanity has never been an issue for me. my issue is players speaking with certainty of the knowledge of another players role.
zilla wrote:You lost me at "but are you drawing lines between scum buddies." I don't see where Baltar/Rhinox comes in in Pokerface's assessment, and the rest of this point seems to hinge on that...
pf made a reference to a baltar/rhinox scum pairing. i was asking for clarification.
zilla wrote:I was totally with Don Johnson on this until VP pulled out the "outing a cop day 2." That was something I hadn't thought of, and I feel kinda dumb for thinking that a cop instantly claims as soon as one guilty is on the table. However, there still is the point that after lynching one "guilty" that comes up innocent, it's possible we have a paranoid cop rather than an insane one, that a framer was involved, and that any number of things are at play that can't be confirmed by wasting an investigation on Juls.

I think this is getting way too hypothetical at this point, and I think VP accounted for the scummy reasoning he had offered before.
what's a framer? like i have said, the sanity is not the issue for me, it was vp saying we could use juls to test a cop's sanity. the way the post was worded seemed to speak of certainty of juls being a miller. juls herself understands that she is not confirmed until death. yes, vp's post 104 seems to be consistent with the train of thought he presented earlier, so i can't accuse him of changing his story. that said:

vote: shadowgirl
you simultaneously admit to having weak meta knowledge on juls, but choose to believe her claim based on her inexperience. major contradiction.(vi, that's the answer to the question i asked you. :wink: )
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
Zilla
Zilla
Mafia Scum
Zilla
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Post by Zilla »

I'm quite suspicious of ZEEnon's vote there. I don't see why he's voting Pokerface, even from the standpoint of not understanding what Pokerface was saying. The lack of elaboration is also disconcerting.
Aware of that. However, you are attacking him repeatedly. Assault and battery can lead to death if sustained over a period of time. ~ Cybele
Zilla
Zilla
Mafia Scum
Zilla
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Post by Zilla »

Am I the only one who thinks that post of Don's is weird? He repeatedly calls on SG saying Juls was inexperienced being a cornerstone of her case, when she said it once, in support, and hasn't had time to react to Juls saying she has improved since then. He also misses VP saying that his entire illustration was a hypothetical to illustrate why claimig early would be beneficial, which DOES presuppose Juls to be pro-town miller.

and this:
vote: shadowgirl you simultaneously admit to having weak meta knowledge on juls, but choose to believe her claim based on her inexperience. major contradiction.
What's so "contradictory" about it?
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Post by don_johnson »

Zilla wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that post of Don's is weird? He repeatedly calls on SG saying Juls was inexperienced being a cornerstone of her case, when she said it once, in support, and hasn't had time to react to Juls saying she has improved since then.
He also misses VP saying that his entire illustration was a hypothetical to illustrate why claimig early would be beneficial, which DOES presuppose Juls to be pro-town miller
bolded is what got my attention in the first place. i didn't miss that at all. also,who said "cornerstone"?
zilla wrote:and this:
vote: shadowgirl you simultaneously admit to having weak meta knowledge on juls, but choose to believe her claim based on her inexperience. major contradiction.
What's so "contradictory" about it?
how can she make a judgment of relative experience a player has in the game of mafia without knowing more about said player? i.e. sg claims to have very little knowledge of juls play in order to defend herself against the "meta" argument, but somehow knows enough about juls to use her experience level to make a determination about whether or not she would run a scum gambit. either sg has knowledge of juls meta or she doesn't. she claims she doesn't, so then how does she have any clue as to juls "experience" level? it seems as though her amount of knowledge in relation to juls fluctuates. make sense?
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
Zilla
Zilla
Mafia Scum
Zilla
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Post by Zilla »

So, you're voting Shadowgirl because she must be scum that knows Juls is town, and her stated reasons for trusting Juls are incorrect, right?

Doesn't that presuppose that Juls is town also? Are you then saying that you believe Juls' claim implicitly because SG believes it, and you don't believe why SG believes it?

I think you're missing the point of Baltar's posts; that, in the event Juls is town, this is a reason she would claim early. Hence "hypothetical".
ZEEnon
ZEEnon
Goon
ZEEnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:49 pm

Post by ZEEnon »

Yes, I agree with you PokerFace.
If she had the scum waste a night kill on her, it would have been much more effective.

Unvote .

Zilla wrote:I'm quite suspicious of ZEEnon's vote there. I don't see why he's voting Pokerface, even from the standpoint of not understanding what Pokerface was saying. The lack of elaboration is also disconcerting.
Lack of elabortation? Did you ask me to elaborate?

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”