Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1350 (ISO) » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:24 pm

Post by Oman »

Incog wrote:Erg0 voted for ChaosOmega, Matt_S seemed to cross-post with Erg0, and then he said something like "Lol. Hello there. Didn't see ya" while quoting Erg0's vote.
Ah, I remember this now!

======================================================
Page 55 Votecount

Xylthixlm - 2 (Matt_S, Patrick)

Oman - 1 (Incognito)
Matt_S- 1 (Oman)

Not voting - 3 (Erg0, Xylthixlm, Jitsu)

With 7 alive, it's 4 to lynch.
Deadline for D3: Tuesday April 22, 11:11AM GMT+10
================================================
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1351 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Post by Jitsu »

Xylthixlm wrote:Jitsu: Which do you think is more dangerous to the town: two scumteams of two people each, or a single scumteam of four?

Which do you think is more dangerous to the town: a scumteam of two plus a SK, or a single scumteam of three?

Which do you think is more dangerous to the town: two SKs, or a single scumteam of two?

Here are the relevant factors in the decision, as I see it:

Ratio: A single large scumteam is more dangerous than several small groups because the town:scum ratio is much lower in that case. It is easier for the scum to get the majority they need to win when there is one large scumgroup.

Scumhunting: Finding a single large group I think tends to be easier, as scum in the same group know who each other are (and can make more slips that way by bussing/defending). An SK cannot honestly bus or defend a partnet because the SK does not know anyone else's alignment.

Night kills: Multiple scumgroups mean more nightkills, which is generally more dangerous for the town (however, see crosskills below). With multiple NKs, the game progresses faster, so the town has to be more accurate with their lynches.

Crosskills: A single scumgroup cannot suffer from crosskills, where multiple small groups can. Any crosskills will always help the town.

Protective roles: Doctors and other protective roles are a little more powerful when there is only one NK coming in. If the doctor can find a cop or power role, s/he can extend the game by several days. It's true that with multiple scumgroups doctors are more likely to have a successful protect, with only one scumgroup, each successful protect is like a free day for the town.

Endgame complexity: An SK complicates the endgame a lot more than a single scumgroup. If you only have a single group of mafia to deal with, you don't usually need to worry about the order in which you get them. Lynching the mafia in any order usually wins the game. But with multiple scumgroups, the order can be vital. For example, if the game situation is at 3 town + SK + 2 mafia, the town has to lynch mafia. Lynching the SK, plus the resulting mafia NK would take the game to 2 town + 2 mafia, which is usually a mafia win. needs to lynch both mafia, and then the SK,
in that order
, to win. If you can get rid of the SK before getting to LYLO, the town usually has a guaranteed win situation. Also, with several scumgroups, the endgame can result in a messy prisoner's dilemma, in which the town is powerless.

Strategy and Setup: With a single scumgroup, it's a lot easier to guess at the setup. With multiple scumgroups, the town can stay in the dark a lot longer, and LYLO/endgame can sneak up on you before the proper strategy can be implemented. For example, look at this game. Probably the biggest unknown for the town right now is: Who is our second killer? With that information, I think we'd feel much better about who to lynch today. A 4 town + 1 SK + 2 mafia position is very different from a 5-0-2 situation. In the former case, a mislynch + two NKed townies is game over at 1-1-2. In the latter, the worse case tomorrow morning is a 3-0-2 situation (LYLO, but still winnable).

For question 1, in the context of a Mini Normal, I think a four person scumteam is more dangerous. The Ratio is the biggest issue here I think. No chance of crosskills, and with only one scumgroup, it is easier for the scum to get the majority they need to win (high scum:town ratio). Even with serious town power, the game is tough for the town to win. One mislynch is probably LYLO. Two is probably Game Over. With two scum groups of two, the town is probably still in the game after two mislynches, even with no crosskills, because it is harder for either of the two scumgroups to gain a majority (plus they usually need to wipe out the other group to win).

For question 2, the ratio is less of a problem. Scum:town ratios are not as much as in the first case, so the balance swings away from the large scumteam a bit. There is a tradeoff: 2 NKs can hit the town twice as hard (and makes it more likely that one will evade a protector role), but there is the possibility crosskills can help the town. This case is more of a tossup for me for a general setup. Near LYLO though, I'd probably prefer 3 mafia so it doesn't matter which order I lynch them in.

For question 3, I've never seen a game with 2 SKs. Having 2 SKs kind of sounds like a nightmare really, as once one SK dies, the other players seem to be be very reluctant to suspect a second SK, and that might lead toward incorrect assumptions. I think I'd rather have 2 mafia if I got the choice.

For this specific point in this game, not knowing who the second killer is what concerns me most.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1352 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:40 pm

Post by Patrick »

Feh. Alright then, having thought it through, I'm going to claim now. It should certainly add some clarity to the situation. I'm the vigilante. (Full vig, not one shot).

On night 1, I shot Guardian. My original plan had been to kill ChaosOmega if opie was lynched as town (possibly if opie was scum, but I hadn't thought so much about that). ChaosOmega's cop claim increased my suspicion of him still further, but for obvious reasons he was off my kill list for that night. I thought there was a good chance Guardian was connected to ChaosOmega, based on the post where ChaosOmega seemed to be coaching him, but also based on the way Guardian seemed to BS his way onto a late ChaosOmega vote, as the latter started looking like he'd be lynched. A minor reason for killing Guardian was also that it yielded more information than most kills, since he'd picked up alot of hate on day 1. (For the record, my main other two possibles had been Xyl and Oman, with a little pickemgenius).

The interesting part is that last night, I tried to kill Xylthixlm. And he's still with us. I think the two most likely possibilities are:

1) He's unightkillable (nearly always a scum trait)
2) I was roleblocked, probably by a mafia roleblocker (plausible)

There are a few other smaller possibilities, such as doc protection, but unless we have an SK (more below on that), I don't see a doc existing on top of 3 decent poweroles. And I don't see any doc choosing to protect Xylthixlm anyway. Another thing that could have stopped the nightkill is if Xylthixlm is a hider type role, but again I find that very unlikely for balance reasons (3 investigative roles in a mini). Overall, unless I'm missing something obvious, my failed kill makes it significantly more likely that Xyl is scum, which is why I've been pushing him more aggressively today. I think both him and Oman are very scummy, but with this is mind I think Xyl needs to die today. I suspect he's probably a GF type role.

Originally I was thinking of maybe trying to get him lynched today without claiming, but with the amount of speculation going round, I think the benefits of this should outweigh the downside. If the scum are any good, they've probably worked out it's me anyway, or at least narrowed it down alot.

Maybe it's a little bit clearer now why I don't think an SK is likely. (I do think the flavour argument is valid, but obviously that wasn't my only reason). If there is an SK, that means we have 3 killing groups in a mini, which is something I've seen, but I think some mods would hesistate to include in their game, particularly a first time mod. It would also mean that
both
nights are missing a kill. The fact that Adel's kill wasn't a stabbing threw me a bit, but my current theory is that the mafia can have different kill flavours, depending on which member performs the kill. I'd also guess the mafia killed Adel thinking that she was the vig, since she was someone who'd expressed alot of suspicion of Guardian1 on day 1. At any rate, I can't particularly think of any other reason why they would.

I have considered the possibility that Xylthixlm is an SK with unightkillability, but some of his comments have made that less likely in my eyes, since he's been encouraging the idea that the second killer is an SK. That's something mafia could conceivably do but I can't so much see why an SK would be doing it. I also think a good part of his scumminess is based on connections to CO and to a lesser extent Oman anyway.

So yep. I acknowledge that this isn't proof of my alignment, and I'm still not entirely sure whether or not coming out right now was optimal, but some players have been going astray, and this should help. Xylthixlm needs to die today and I'll be very surprised if he turns up innocent.
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #1353 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Post by Incognito »

That's all I needed to hear.

Unvote; Vote: Xylthixlm

L-1.

Btw, I think Adel was targeted as the Mafia kill because of this post: Post 788. I thought she might have been the vig because of that post too.

Patrick, if you're targeted by the mafia tonight, does your kill still go through?
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1354 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:36 pm

Post by Patrick »

I would assume it would still go through, since that's the norm, and there's nothing in my PM suggesting it wouldn't.

If Xylthixlm is scum, do people want me to kill Oman tonight, or leave it for the day?
Unvote
, just temporarily so he doesn't self hammer or anything.
Matt_S
Matt_S
Mafia Scum
Matt_S
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1355 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:54 pm

Post by Matt_S »

Well, that explains why you brought up the unNKable godfather. I wondered why you'd even bring that up.
Patrick wrote:If Xylthixlm is scum, do people want me to kill Oman tonight, or leave it for the day?
If you're really sure Oman's the scumbuddy, go ahead and go with it. I'd do it if I were you.
Show
"So I went to the librarian in the biology section and asked her if she could find me a map of the cat." -Richard Feynman

The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm:
(1) write down the problem;
(2) think very hard;
(3) write down the answer.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1356 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:17 pm

Post by Patrick »

Just checked with the mod btw, and he said my kill would go through even if I'm killed.
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1357 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:31 pm

Post by Jitsu »

I will give Xylthixlm the opportunity to claim before I vote for him.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #1358 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:30 pm

Post by vollkan »

Erg0 has been prodded.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1359 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:00 pm

Post by Oman »

Same as Jitsu.
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1360 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:17 pm

Post by Erg0 »

Sorry, I'm behind again. Will catch up tomorrow.
"You were doing well until everyone died."
V/LA most weekends.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #1361 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:38 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Oh well. I was really hoping to avoid having to claim, since I doubt anyone will believe it at this point. I'm not sure
I
believe it.

I am a nurse
. The wording on my PM does not guarantee that there is a doctor in the game. Based on the roles revealed so far, I think it's probable there isn't; vollkan wouldn't unbalance the game by putting in a watcher
and
a doctor. So I'm probably no more useful than a vanilla townie, unless there actually is a doc.

If Patrick is telling the truth, then a mafia roleblocker is the most likely explanation for my survival. I don't think a doc would have bothered protecting me. I do find it odd that Patrick is claiming one shooting kill but not both. I hope vollkan explains the setup after the game. I'm leaning towards Patrick being at least partially truthful; we don't have any other explanation for the extra kill. A mafia roleblocker is fairly likely, given the presence of two good info roles.

If you guys want to lynch me, I probably deserve it; I'll to admit playing horribly this game. We shouldn't be at lynch or lose quite yet. I notice Oman just flip-flopped from calling me unconventional town to threatening to vote me. I heartily endorse vigging him. I don't really have a read on the remaining players, although I think there's some good info to be found in today's play.

I'm still a bit suspicious of Jitsu because he suggested going after the SK before the mafia. This is bad logic, and antitown, especially in a situtation where it wasn't even certain if there was an SK. Ratio (to use his terms) is by
far
the biggest factor. The increased number of nightkills is almost entirely balanced out by the presence of crosskills. Scumhunting effects don't matter in our case, because you have to find all the scum no matter what order you're lynching them. Endgame complexity is a red herring because the complex endgames are ones you would have
already lost
if there was a single scumgroup.

For the record, 2 SK games are a bit easier than 2 mafia games with 6-8 players.
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1362 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:58 pm

Post by Oman »

I'm very sceptical.

Very sceptical.

I'm gonna consider this, then hammer if I still don't buy it.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1363 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:12 am

Post by Oman »

Okay, just re-read it and I think my earlier statement was misconstrued (this is why I don't post in mafia whilst I'm playing other games).

I actually meant that I think Xyl shoudl claim before being hammered, although I WILL admit that Nurse does not seem a good town claim for me.

Otherwise....

No, I don't think it does work, I don't see vollkan using a nurse in a game like this without making it inadvertent.

Damn, the problem is, I don't find Xyl to be too scummy, but this claim sucks. Scum would know there was a doctor if their kill was blocked (or a roleblocker, but doctor would be a major choice), scum would assume the lack of a nurse (as its uncommon).

I would love to say that Xyl is town, but this claim SUCKS!

Vote Xyl

If I'm wrong, I'll be kicking myself that I didn't go with my first thoughts.
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1364 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:17 am

Post by Erg0 »

Never mind, accelerated read is done.

Vig beats nurse, I'd say. Patrick's claim is provable, whereas a nurse claim in a game that potentially has no doctor is definitely not strong enough to change my mind on Xyl. Swing for the fences on Oman if Xyl is scum, since he (Oman) is bound to be lynched tomorrow in that scenario. Even if Oman is town, NKing him tonight will put us one townie ahead of where we'd be if we mislynched him tomorrow. I'm tempted to say you should kill him either way, but that's probably a bad idea from a numbers perspective.
V/LA most weekends.
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1365 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:18 am

Post by Erg0 »

The preview button is my friend.

What's the rush, Oman?
V/LA most weekends.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1366 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:26 am

Post by Oman »

Truly Erg0?

I'm a tracker, got a target from Xyl. Now I took that to mean there was a doc here (as I said), scum would know there was a doc.

I know who I'm targeting tonight.
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1367 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:34 am

Post by Erg0 »

Isn't the tracker dead already?

Aren't you just trying to come up with a reason that Patrick shouldn't kill you when Xyl comes up scum?
V/LA most weekends.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1368 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:35 am

Post by Patrick »

I'd be shocked if the game contained a tracker, watcher, vig, doctor and nurse, which would be a huge amount of town power. Even with an SK in the game that would be a huge amount of town power. If there is no doctor then Xylthixlm's claim is unprovable and same as vanilla townie really.

If he's a nurse than he's really unlucky because I don't believe his claim at all. Does anyone else have anything to add here? If Xyl is scum then I'll kill Oman tonight, if Xyl is town then I guess I'll hold off because a misvig would lose the game.

After preview: I see Oman claimed tracker. Was that a serious claim? You got Xyl going somewhere last night?
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1369 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:37 am

Post by Oman »

No, I didn't :)

I'm a tracker, and I figured the town is OP with all of these, and I assumed the nurse claim to be the least likely.

Anyway, if Xyl is scum, then I picked his fakeclaim. If Xyl is town, I mispicked a fakeclaim.
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1370 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:38 am

Post by Erg0 »

So your theory is that we have/had two trackers?
V/LA most weekends.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1371 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:39 am

Post by Patrick »

So if you are a tracker, who have you targetted each night?
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1372 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:53 am

Post by Erg0 »

Silence = *headdesk*?
V/LA most weekends.
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1373 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:00 am

Post by Jitsu »

Patrick wrote:I'd be shocked if the game contained a tracker, watcher, vig, doctor and nurse, which would be a huge amount of town power. Even with an SK in the game that would be a huge amount of town power. If there is no doctor then Xylthixlm's claim is unprovable and same as vanilla townie really.
Agreed. Nobody has counterclaimed the second kill, so I have to think you are telling the truth (very likely) or there is an unclaimed SK (very unlikely). I agree that would be a gigantic amount of town power, even if the scum have some decent power of their own.
Patrick wrote:If he's a nurse than he's really unlucky because I don't believe his claim at all. Does anyone else have anything to add here? If Xyl is scum then I'll kill Oman tonight, if Xyl is town then I guess I'll hold off because a misvig would lose the game.
I agree if Xyl comes up scum you should nail Oman. If he comes town, I think you should use your best judgment, based on what Xyl comes up as.
Patrick wrote:After preview: I see Oman claimed tracker. Was that a serious claim? You got Xyl going somewhere last night?
My guess if Xyl went anywhere, it was Adel's house. :)

I don't like the Oman hammer. The only thing I can see is that Oman knows you are going to get blocked tonight and that he swooped in to hammer to desperately make the grab from some townie cred. If we're right about the situation he's in, that's probably about the best he can do.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1374 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:06 am

Post by Patrick »

Oman hasn't hammered, I unvoted Xylthixlm. Still waiting for Oman's "results", on the miniscule chance he's somehow teling the truth.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”