Newbie 580 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:53 pm

Post by BridgesAndBaloons »

I wanted to know if Boggzie was as scummy as everyone is making him up to be. I looked at all his posts and for the first two pages he pretty much does nothing. Then he spends all of this page defending himself. In my opinion, Boggzie (spelling?) has not done anything helpful for the town, only helpful for himself. This makes me a little worried of him. Not enough to warrant a true vote, imo, especially since it wouldn't be the first. (I'm learning you guys!) I think too prove that he is pro-town, Boggzie should focus on figuring out who is mafia with us, instead of just defending himself, or accusing Occult again.

I'm actually really scared of radio_interference. I feel that he is playing a near perfect game right now. His posts are very insightful and helpful. He seems to be hanging out in the background. If he really is pro-townie, I would like to see a lengthy post in the near future. Everyone he does seems to be very pro-town, although something odd registers with me. Not enough to warrant even a FOS, i just wanted to make sure people do not forget that he could be mafia.

Official Vote Count

JimSauce - 1 (backinblack167)
Occult - 3 (preatorian, WeyounsLastClone, curiouskarmadog)

Radio_Interference - 1 (JimSauce)
Boggzie - 1 (Occult)

Not Voting - 3 (Amor, BridgesAndBaloons, Radio_Interference)

5 to Lynch
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:56 pm

That was weird, right after I posted this, it turns out Occult wants Boggzie to do the same!
Occult wrote:
So.... I'm going to need you to post something useful.

*TRANSMISSION OUT*
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Post by Occult »

I actually like RI right now, I also don't like to use the "Too Towny" attack.
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Post by Occult »

stop posting the same time I do....
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:00 pm

by "too townie," I mean that this is something that may come up in 4 days, way into the game. I was getting some weird vibe, and I just felt that I should let other people know about it.

Right now, I think RI is too valuable to be lynched. And I l
ove
the way he posts. (no sarcasm)
Signature:
WeyounsLastClone
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:33 pm

Post by WeyounsLastClone »

At BaB: why do you see RI's posts as town? I think it was even clear his posts are more confusing than actually helping town, so I kind of fail to see he could even be too town. Not that his behavior is anti-town, but I don't really see it as pro-town either. So while I also think scum can act ‘too townie’, I don’t get this feeling with Radio_interference.

Some more about ‘too townie’, because some people feel that’s a ridiculous argument, while I think it actually has some merit in it: I always feel scum plays more confident than townies, because scum knows who is town, but townies don’t know who is scum, so as town we’re much more unsure. I actually get this vibe from BaB.
"I wish you hadn't done that."
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:37 am

Post by Occult »

WeyounsLastClone wrote:Some more about ‘too townie’, because some people feel that’s a ridiculous argument, while I think it actually has some merit in it: I always feel scum plays more confident than townies, because scum knows who is town, but townies don’t know who is scum, so as town we’re much more unsure. I actually get this vibe from BaB.
I really don't think thats a good vibe to play off of tho. I've never seen a too townie argument work, b/c town is town and scum is scum, they are going to give off their own signals. Lynching someone for being a confident townie is a little counter-productive. Now if you some evidence on the side that made a player acting like a confident townie look suspicious, thats a different story.

As RI is concerned, I don't find him the least scummy, but his posts are short and to the point. I personally like that.
Boggzie
Boggzie
Goon
Boggzie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:50 am

Post by Boggzie »

Occult wrote: Lots of useless tripe, misquoting and even making a personal attack.
Does that not bother anyone else?

- You voted for no reason, I can't even defend.
- You misquoted, which is a HUGE no-no.
- You turned the game personal with your 'sexuality' comment.

This isn't how you play. This game should never get personal.

I have no use for playing with folks like that.

replacement requested

..good luck with this prick. It's quite clear if you press him some he'll get emotional. I hate to think how he would have reacted if I was really pressuring him. I don't have time to wade through personal arguements to assist some over-emotional douche-bag.
Go Tribe!
WeyounsLastClone
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:33 am

Sorry to see you go because of someone's behavior Boggzie, but don't you think you're overreacting? You say Occult gets emotional when under pressure, but I think Occult did the very same thing with you, and you get emotional too. But maybe if someone posted the way Occult posted about you, I'd respond otherwise, so I understand you're put off by that post and need replacement.
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:46 am

Post by Occult »

I'm going to need to apologize to you boggzie, you misinterpreted my post and thats my fault (no sarcasm intended).

That wasn't posted out of pressure or emotion, it was more out of sarcasm over the fact that I try to get you to post something relevant and you don't.

I personally think that these games shouldn't be taken so seriously and post accordingly. Plus the fact that I've found that unconventional posting seems to get a real reaction out of people, not the rehearsed and triple checked BS alot of people shoot out in games.
-----------------

If bogs does come back ,my question to him is, Whats with the useless un-aimed over aggression and repetitiveness in your posting? You hide behind the IC title and say your busy, but when you're called out on it, all of a sudden you find the availability to make 4 or 5 posts a day. That makes you look very scummy.

If he doesn't come back
Unvote
, I'll wait to take a look at his replacement.
Radio_Interference
Radio_Interference
Townie
Radio_Interference
Townie
Townie

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Post by Radio_Interference »

Zrrrrrrrft....

...ould you know my name, If I saw you in hea....

[Boggzie]
Sucks to see an IC leaving, but I personally think your freaking out too much. Occult did the same thing to BaB, and when BaB called him on it it worked out. It'll be interesting to see what your replacement has to say.

[On Myself]
I'm not sure about how much of the talk about me on this page I'm actually supposed to answer, if any. BaB, I'm keeping a notepad on this game. Can't promise a super huge post, as most the big ones just tend to be either a bunch of flurish (sp?) talk or have an extreme amount of quotes in them, but I'm not making an effort to stay in back or anything. Most the things I want to say, or plan on doing just get screwed over by the time I get back where I can formulate a post :)

[To Mod]
Could we get a
Prod
on
backinblack
and
preatorian
? Its been 48 hours for preatorian, and his last post didnt do much, and its been like a week with backinblack unless I missed something. Unless you already have, of course.

*Transmission out*
backinblack167
backinblack167
Townie
backinblack167
Townie
Townie

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:15 pm

Post by backinblack167 »

and its been like a week with backinblack unless I missed something.
It's only been two days =/

Anyway. My thoughts.

BaB's entrance: Does a bit of reaching, but that's okay. I'm a little curious about how this:
The more I look into his posts, the scummier he seems.
so easily becomes this:
So, here's a reason Occult may be good to keep around: he is IC, and he can generate more productive conversations than we can if he is pro-town.
But apparently it was a random vote? Considering there had already been two pages of action (albeit rather slow and pointless), this vote being "random" doesn't make much sense to me, especially after you were able to substantiate some evidence for it.

Then Occult and WLC follow up with stating that BaB is the least scummy at the time. I, personally, am thinking more along the lines of Amor here though:
I'm honestly not sure how to take BAB's posts. He came out very focused on getting Occult, to the extent of flagging obvious joke posts as scummy, and then quickly backed off. This could be scumminess or it could just be newbness.
Then comes the Boggzie debacle with JimSauce, and there really isn't much there besides an argument over lurking. Occult's post that follows is jumped on by Boggzie, which I DO think is justified. Occult gave no content and then continued to give zero content. That said, Boggzie's response was blatant OMGUS and had little content behind it as well.

Then BaB jumps in with this gem:
I looked at all his posts and for the first two pages he pretty much does nothing. Then he spends all of this page defending himself. In my opinion, Boggzie (spelling?) has not done anything helpful for the town, only helpful for himself. This makes me a little worried of him. Not enough to warrant a true vote, imo, especially since it wouldn't be the first. (I'm learning you guys!) I think too prove that he is pro-town, Boggzie should focus on figuring out who is mafia with us, instead of just defending himself, or accusing Occult again.
This doesn't make sense. If you're town, you SHOULD defend yourself at every opportunity. If you just sit idly by and let yourself get strung up, that's definitely not pro-town.

This post actually looks even stranger considering that Occult's earlier defense against you made you stop attacking him and caused you to feel that he'd be good to keep around.

I'm also curious as to why RI looks "too town," BaB.

From there, there really isn't much besides Boggzie requesting a replacement. (hope you decide to stay, by the way.)

At the moment, I'm thinking BaB looks a bit flip-floppish and contradictory, so I'd like to hear from him and what his thoughts are at the moment.
Radio_Interference
Radio_Interference
Townie
Radio_Interference
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:11 pm

EBWOP:
It's only been two days =/
[Statement]
Ah, yes. I seem to have missed the one with all the bright red in it, silly me :). Preatorian still needs a prod though.
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:05 pm

I'm going to take one from Occult's book. My comments are posted in bold.
backinblack167 wrote: Anyway. My thoughts.

BaB's entrance: Does a bit of reaching, but that's okay. I'm a little curious about how this:
The more I look into his posts, the scummier he seems.

I had a really scummy feeling about Occult in the beginning. My "random" vote was against him because I thought I could learn more, which I did. I wanted to phrase the post so that he seemed as scummy as possible.
I'm not the only one who thought Occult was scummy. He has three votes right now.
However, right now, I'm getting a good vibe from him. Mafia is a very fluid game, and something he could say may make me think he's a scum (can I say a "scum?") again. My point being, it was stupid attempt to build a case against him when I didn't have as much evidence as I thought.
Re-read what I've responded afterwards to find out more about why I came on so strong.

so easily becomes this:
So, here's a reason Occult may be good to keep around: he is IC, and he can generate more productive conversations than we can if he is pro-town.
But apparently it was a random vote? Considering there had already been two pages of action (albeit rather slow and pointless), this vote being "random" doesn't make much sense to me, especially after you were able to substantiate some evidence for it.

I made up evidence, AFTER I voted for him. Not a good tactic for writting essays, but makes interesting results for this game. That's why my evidence was so week. In my oppinion, I'm pretty ashamed of my second post. It was fairly week evidence, and I wanted to make a strong entrance. I'm embarrassed.

Then Occult and WLC follow up with stating that BaB is the least scummy at the time. I, personally, am thinking more along the lines of Amor here though:

I'm honestly not sure how to take BAB's posts. He came out very focused on getting Occult, to the extent of flagging obvious joke posts as scummy, and then quickly backed off. This could be scumminess or it could just be newbness.

Newbness, as I said I'm ashamed of it. The evidence is pretty week. Not up to my usual standards in debating and in essays.

Then comes the Boggzie debacle with JimSauce, and there really isn't much there besides an argument over lurking. Occult's post that follows is jumped on by Boggzie, which I DO think is justified. Occult gave no content and then continued to give zero content. That said, Boggzie's response was blatant OMGUS and had little content behind it as well.

Then BaB jumps in with this gem:
I looked at all his posts and for the first two pages he pretty much does nothing. Then he spends all of this page defending himself. In my opinion, Boggzie (spelling?) has not done anything helpful for the town, only helpful for himself. This makes me a little worried of him. Not enough to warrant a true vote, imo, especially since it wouldn't be the first. (I'm learning you guys!) I think too prove that he is pro-town, Boggzie should focus on figuring out who is mafia with us, instead of just defending himself, or accusing Occult again.
This doesn't make sense. If you're town, you SHOULD defend yourself at every opportunity. If you just sit idly by and let yourself get strung up, that's definitely not pro-town.

Yes, but YOU NEED TO LOOK AT OTHER PEOPLE!!! For instance, what you are doing is very helpful to the town. Me defending myself does help the town too, but attacking other scums is much more helpful and productive, in my oppinion.

This post actually looks even stranger considering that Occult's earlier defense against you made you stop attacking him and caused you to feel that he'd be good to keep around.

Because my post was really weak. I realized this and backed off. I didn't say anything about Occult being very pro-town. I'm still a little bit weary of him, but I think right now he
appears
to be helping the town.

I'm also curious as to why RI looks "too town," BaB.

From there, there really isn't much besides Boggzie requesting a replacement. (hope you decide to stay, by the way.)

At the moment, I'm thinking BaB looks a bit flip-floppish and contradictory, so I'd like to hear from him and what his thoughts are at the moment.
[/b]

This is my first online mafia game. I am trying to figure out my style. And started off coming on really strong, and I wanted to start with a bang. I regret that move. The evidence against Occult was very weak, and he shoots it down with ease.

I decided to back off of Occult, because I didn't have enough evidence yet. I feel that I need to make up for my bad post earlier.

Also, to clarify, this is what I did:
1) I saw that Occult was a little scummy
2) I wanted to start with action,
3) I random voted Occult
4) Someone ( i forget who) asked me to defend my choice. I didn't really have reasons, but I wanted to start with action, so I pick apart his posts for a very bias and week post.
5) He shows me (and I realize) how terrible my post was,
6) I back off because I realize I don't have enough evidence.
3) when the person
Signature:
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:10 pm

I just realize something very interesting. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that if there were multiple votes on someone, the mafia would want to lynch them if that person wasn't mafia.

Knowing this, we see that Occult has 3 votes and only needs 2 more to lynch.

This is my big assumption:
The mafia would want to lynch Occult.

However, this
isn't happening
. This tells us one of three things (based that my assumption is correct):

1) Occult is mafia, and so the other mafia member doesn't want to vote him, and there isn't two other mafia members to lynch him.
2) Either preatorian, WeyounsLastClone, or Boggzie could be mafia. This means that the other mafia member only had one vote, and that wouldn't lynch Occult.
3) Preatorian and WLC, or WLC and Boggzie, or Boggzie and Preatorian are mafia.

However this is based on a big assumption, so let me know what you think about my assumption.
Signature:
JimSauce
JimSauce
Goon
JimSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Post by JimSauce »

Bridges wrote:This is my big assumption: The mafia would want to lynch Occult.
This is
my
big assumption: The mafia would not want to blatantly expose themselves on Day 1. I'll post more later, it seems my computer has a virus. :o
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:17 pm

Oh sorry for posting three times in a row, but I just realized I never explained my "too town" thing about RI.

First of all, that was Occult's phrase, and I used it to simplify my emotions after my initial post.

I said that:
BridgesAndBaloons wrote:
I'm actually really scared of radio_interference. I feel that he is playing a near perfect game right now. His posts are very insightful and helpful. He seems to be hanging out in the background.
What I mean here is that IFF he is mafia, then he is doing a wonderful job. I want to make sure that
BridgesAndBaloons wrote: people do not forget that he could be mafia.
I think that every person deserves to be scrutinized at (at least once during the game.) I want to make sure that we don't forget. However, like I said before, right now he seems to be very pro-town (not "too town" using that expression was a mistake) and we need to keep him around. Just watch out later on for any symptoms of mafia-itus.

Another note, I'm still trying to find my style of play, so that should explain if I yoyo between different styles of playing.
Signature:
WeyounsLastClone
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:02 pm

BridgesAndBaloons wrote:I just realize something very interesting. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that if there were multiple votes on someone, the mafia would want to lynch them if that person wasn't mafia.

Knowing this, we see that Occult has 3 votes and only needs 2 more to lynch.

This is my big assumption:
The mafia would want to lynch Occult.

However, this
isn't happening
. This tells us one of three things (based that my assumption is correct):

1) Occult is mafia, and so the other mafia member doesn't want to vote him, and there isn't two other mafia members to lynch him.
2) Either preatorian, WeyounsLastClone, or Boggzie could be mafia. This means that the other mafia member only had one vote, and that wouldn't lynch Occult.
3) Preatorian and WLC, or WLC and Boggzie, or Boggzie and Preatorian are mafia.

However this is based on a big assumption, so let me know what you think about my assumption.
As Jimsause mentioned, a quick hammer right now would reveal the scum. That said, you could argue that scum wouldn't do such a thing, so they can use that as an excuse to actually do it. Then we're getting into WIFOM terrain.

Still, a quicklynch on day 1 would reveal too much for scum, I guess.

I do get mixed feelings by BaB. Somehow BaB comes across more experienced (posts are well-written, and with clear reasoning, and clear thoughts, which lot of eager newbies don't really do) than he says.
Amor
Amor
Goon
Amor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:55 am

Post by Amor »

BridgesAndBaloons wrote:I'm actually really scared of radio_interference. I feel that he is playing a near perfect game right now. His posts are very insightful and helpful. He seems to be hanging out in the background. If he really is pro-townie, I would like to see a lengthy post in the near future. Everyone he does seems to be very pro-town, although something odd registers with me. Not enough to warrant even a FOS, i just wanted to make sure people do not forget that he could be mafia.
I actually thought RI was kind of scummy a few days ago, as he hadn't posted much content and because of his posting style, but his last couple of posts have seemed pretty pro-town. The thing to keep in mind is that roleplaying (or whatever you call RI's posting style) is an easy way to make it look like you're posting something without really saying anything. Not that he's doing it, but it's something to watch out for in the future.
BridgesAndBaloons wrote: I made up evidence, AFTER I voted for him. Not a good tactic for writting essays, but makes interesting results for this game. That's why my evidence was so week. In my oppinion, I'm pretty ashamed of my second post. It was fairly week evidence, and I wanted to make a strong entrance. I'm embarrassed.
If you knew the evidence was weak, why did you bring it up? That just seems like common sense. And deciding to vote for someone before gathering evidence is pretty scummy. The fact that you're admitting it does make me a bit less suspicious though. Still, targetting Occult, who had the most votes and the most suspicion cast on him at the time, seems like bandwaggoning in hopes of a quick lynch.

Occult, speaking of you, your posts are generally short and don't have much content. You also seem very quick to vote without providing reasons. This does not strike me as being pro-town and is even sort of scummy.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:31 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

curiouskarmadog replaces Boggzie, effective immediately.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:03 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

ok, it is down like James Brown..

busy atm, but will attack all 4 pages of the read this weekend.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:57 pm

WeyounsLastClone wrote:I do get mixed feelings by BaB. Somehow BaB comes across more experienced (
posts are well-written, and with clear reasoning, and clear thoughts,
which lot of eager newbies don't really do) than he says.
You have no idea how happy that (bolded) made me. To tell you the truth, I jumped in the game, in my opinion, like an eager newbie. I was kind of bandwagoning, and I didn't realize I was putting him (occult) at L-2. Again, I wish I could take that post back, I feel like my other posts have been more careful and helpful.

Overall, even with this game being my first day, I have learned alot. Eager to see how this all eventually plays out.

And welcome, curious karmadog!

About my big assumption, I just realized that it would be all too obvious if the mafia did so.
When would that assumption be safe to make? (what number of people), or is it never a good thing to assume what I did?
Signature:
Radio_Interference
Radio_Interference
Townie
Radio_Interference
Townie
Townie

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:16 pm

frzzzzt....

...and the stock market collaps...

[BaB]
First off, dont feel bad about posting. all this game is is giving out your opinions, and trying to get other peoples opinions, and that post was your opinion at the time. The only time you need to be worried about your posts are when you dont have a reason, or cant defend anything your saying at all, with any kind of logic, wrong or not. you are playing well right now, and the analysis's you seem to be doing quite often of peoples posts really do help drive the game. Discussion is everything in this game, without it, it fails. No discussion is bad, even if what people are discussing is a townie mistake.

As for your discovery, the only time I could see it happening is when the town is at Lynch or lose, because then it wouldnt matter what susspicion was brought up about the kid that hammered, if he was mafia, he would win.

[Jimsauce]
This is kind of beating a dead horse, but I'm curious as to whether you still think Occult's choice of agreeing with a deadline was scummy?

*Transmission out*
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:26 pm

RI: Why are you initiating the conversation about the deadline thing? Why are you asking if Jimsauce changed his mind.

Also, Amor: I happened to notice that you were checking the Road to Rome forum for a long time yesterday. Is there any reason you didn't post?
Answer truthfully, I have a liar detector...

Lastly, I second the
prod on preatorian

Prod issued. - Vel
Signature:
Amor
Amor
Goon
Amor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:29 pm

Post by Amor »

Welcome CKD!
BridgesAndBaloons wrote:Also, Amor: I happened to notice that you were checking the Road to Rome forum for a long time yesterday. Is there any reason you didn't post?
Answer truthfully, I have a liar detector...
It's either one of two things (or maybe both)
1.I was reading through a finished game yesterday (for fun, learning, and possible metagaming)
2.I have a bunch of tabs open at one time in Opera, and mafiascum was in one of them. So it may look like I'm on here for a long time when I'm just flipping between sites.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”