DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #1400 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:19 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

DrippingGoofball wrote:You just crashed my cerebral hard disk. True, it was a TRS-80, but it was a step up from punch cards.
That was meant for that pesky cicero pantalooned fellow.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1401 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:20 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

is it bad that I only understand about 50% of what DGB says?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1402 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:21 am

Post by cicero »

DrippingGoofball wrote:
DrippingGoofball wrote:You just crashed my cerebral hard disk. True, it was a TRS-80, but it was a step up from punch cards.
That was meant for that pesky cicero pantalooned fellow.
He knows :D
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #1403 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:25 am

Post by Adele »

curiouskarmadog wrote:thinking back..

Adele, at the start of the day when we were all claiming, you were about to claim who you targetted, of course you couldnt have targetted anyone because I jailed you. But you did submit that you were going to target someone last night. I assume it was a watcher ability...at what point were you told that that action had failed?
I didn't
successfully
target anyone, but I
did
submit a target. When I got my result back, it said I didn't get a result - I didn't initially know why that was. So if I'd been pressed to claim, I'd've said the truth - who I targeted and what I got back on it.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1404 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:27 am

right I got that, but WHEN did you recieve that notification? I figure last night, but I dont want to assume.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #1405 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:17 am

Post by Adele »

About five minutes before the morning scene was posted - presumably the same time everyone else got their results.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1406 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:34 am

Cicero, same question, when did you get your results? In this case that your attempt had failed? I asked before, and I think you said at night..but what I am wondering is when at night? 5 minutes before like adele?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1407 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:41 am

Post by cicero »

All results come at night, from what I understand. NORMALLY what happened to Adele wouldn't occur because I have 24 hours after all night choices are resolved to talk to my newly networked buddy. But in this case, there was no reason to give me that 24 hours so he was able to send out PMs and then start day.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1408 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:49 am

so that I understand, usually you get 24 hours to chat after results are given. However, since I jailed adele, 24 hours was not needed, and the Mod started the game right after the Pm results. right?

Now, we could use Shafted here to verify this. Shafted, N1 were you given 24 hours to chat with Cicero after you joined his network? Did you know last night that Cicero received a "fail" when he tried to recruit Adele? If so, when last night? Did you know that Cicero was going to try to recruit Adele? Sorry if some of these questions are repeats.

This is just some information I would like out in the open today.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1409 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:54 am

Post by cicero »

For the questions being posed to me: Right and Right.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1410 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:02 am

Post by cicero »

@Shafted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:31 pm
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1411 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:45 pm

Post by The Fonz »

What do we mean by easy lynch? Since scum will often support, oppose, or ignore, a wagon based on whatever they deem to be in their interest, the answer seems to be to be a wagon of which it is fairly easy to persuade town players of the correctness. To my mind, in order to convince town players to support a wagon, one has to come up with arguments for that player's scumminess that pass scrutiny by other players. Fabricated or trumped-up arguments can, and should, lead to the lynch of the pusher before they lead to the lynch of the target.

Things about which valid arguments can be made asserting that player's scumminess are generally called 'scumtells.' Scumtells are things which are more often done by scum than town, or seem to benefit scum, and therefore make a player more likely to be scum.

All things being equal, it is always in the town's interests to lynch the scummiest player (claims aside). But are all things equal? In my view, no. It is my contention that newer and lesser-known players will get more of the 'benefit of the doubt' than veterans for a similar number/gravity of scumtells. Therefore, a newbie lynch is actually 'harder' than a vet lynch (so even if it were possible there were such a thing as an easy lynch, new players would not be it). Yes, it is true that new players get lynched early on more often than not. But this is simply a result of newbies producing more scumtells.

It is not in the town's interests to ignore the player who is the scummiest just because (s)he is comparatively new. For starters, it doesn't help that player become a better player. Also, if you're going to throw a 'newbie' blanket' over the newer players in a game, you end up lynching vet players based on much weaker evidence of scumminess, and giving newbie scum an excuse to pursue their objectives in plain sight.

Most mafia arguments relate to a) whether or not something is a valid scumtell and b) whether there are mitigating circumstances that make it not apply in this circumstance. If the answer to a) is no, the player pushing the lynch is guilty of making bad arguments. If you think it's b), other players can then look at your own argument for mitigating circumstances. It is, in my opinion, on the strength of the arguments presented that the case for lynching someone should be assessed.

I'm afraid I can't offer you particularly good meta on this, since a couple of games where it's come up are ongoing, and in the one where it really mattered, I was scum. I will describe this to you briefly, since it goes to the heart of what i think is the flaw in the easy lynch argument:

In Pablito's Ultimatum Mafia (in this forum), there were two scumgroups. Conservatives (ABR, Yos2, and myself) and Liberals, which included Vandamien and Sparks. Town included Stoofer, and a player called Dylan.

Day one, Sparks (a new player) stood out as the scummiest, dropping scumtells right and left. Just behind him was Dylan, another n00b. (This game had a challenge method). Sparks was nominated, and challenged Dylan. Sparks lost, just, and was lynched. One scum down.

Next day, (after Sparks' buddy carrotcake had been modkilled) VanDamien, the third liberal, gave up and outed himself. Battle Mage then replaces in, and makes a hugely antitown challenge of VD, who the town as a whole had decided should be allowed to live for now. He's voted off (unanimously minus Yos). Then Dylan challenges Stewie, by consensus the towniest player in the game, and loses, unanimously.

The next day, the consensus, including me (bussing) is that ABR is the scummiest. Stoofer, however, defends him on the grounds that he is an 'easy lynch' and that pursuing easy lynches the previous few days has got us nowhere. This is despite the fact that in each of the previous two days, lynching the 'harder' wouldn't have benefitted the town, and the 'easy lynch' on day one netted a scum. ABR challenges mneme, who's fairly town-looking, and Stoofer's is the deciding vote in getting mneme lynched. Next day, I challenge stoofer, and win the challenge in a landslide, giving the game to my scumgroup.

Stoofer's use of the 'easy lynch' argument here costs town the game. He voted a vet town player, who's not really done that much wrong, over a very scummy new player, for the sake of avoiding the easy lynch, and lo and behold, the very scummy player was actually scum.

I hate the newbie card in general, and will always assume a player is scum rather than dumb. Have I lynched a fair few antitown looking newbies along the way? Of course. But I don't think my methods are any less efficient than anyone else's. When I defend newbies, I tend to do it from the perspective that action X or Y just doesn't have much utility for scum, however bad it may look.
Adele or CKD is scum, then cicero or yourself isn't cleared either. And the chance of one or more of Adele and CKD being scum, at this point, is better than half.

Though, whilst we're on the subject, I don't like CES' pushing of no-lynch. I don't feel it benefits the town.

DrippingGoofball wrote: shafted: if your calculations are correct, from my perspective, I'd say CES and the Fonz have a 50-50 chance! TSQ's behaviour early in the game was pretty distracting, and the Fonz has remained rational and calm, but I'm not liking his vote on CKD.
DGB, how can you 'not like' my CKD vote? I've never voted CKD! In fact, I've argued for the Yvonne lynch over his, on the grounds that it's hard to see a viable CKD scumgroup, especially one not also featuring Yvonne.
cicero wrote:No they cant watch her. And what's worse, if the watchers decided to watch TSQ/CES, what DG did last night would preclude them from seeing anything TSQ/CES might try to do. (By which I of course mean shoot somebody).

Which means she's a rockin' choice for a jail cell if she lives through the day.
DGB is a rockin' choice for a jail cell for another reason- if she's town, she can be killed off with no possibility of watching or doc protect. The possibility of her being jailed is the only thing that can prevent this. CKD, do as you see fit if we no-lynch, but I suggest you assign a decent probability to a DGB jailing, at least, should we go to night (more on this to come...)
cicero wrote:
Unvote. Vote No Lynch

I'm back here now and think it's a great idea again.

We've had a bunch of great discussion now (no sleepwalking!) Lots of stuff is on the table. No one is under the radar or above suspicion and it's time to improve the town's odds. We get one more night of investigation and pay pretty much no price for it. We'll increase our %chance of hitting scum with all these being equal, but things won't be all that equal cuz of all the superpowered information we'll get in the night. Frankly, if it all goes down correctly we can up our chances of hitting scum to over 50% I think. Do eet. It's the right thing to do and a tasty way to do it. I still think one big drawback exists obviously - that scum will just need to twist one townie. I understand that. But with all the other things going for us, including info, I think it's outweighed. I don't want to say more on it, really, because
I'm not sure we will improve our percentage chance of hitting scum, with scum having a greater proportion of the vote.

More to the point, there remains the DGB issue. If DGB is town, then scum can take a shot at her, with no possibility of detection. The worst case scenario for them there is DGB gets jailed, which leaves us back at the status quo with the marginal benefit that I or shaft.ed MAY choose to pass our powers to Adele. The best case scenario is a town player down, and no additional info.

So really, in order for no-lynching to have any conceivable benefit, DGB has to be scum. And if we're voting anything based on the notion that DGB is scum, it should be a DGB lynch.
cicero wrote:
Adele wrote:Assuming the scum kill overnight, we drop a pro-town suspect, reducing the field - which is good - but we also lose that pro-town player's thoughts and ideas and suspicions, and their vote. Which is bad.
Yeah, I know. I made the argument myself the first time. There is an incentive for scum to kill. Which is good. I like how there's a possible advantage to changing the state of the game for both sides.
The important point though, is that the decision as to whether or not changing the game state is favourable is
left to the scum
. IE, there will only be a change in gamestate if the scum deem it in their interests to do so.
cicero wrote:
Do you think CES was scummy for suggesting the move in the first place? We can all agree he's pretty damn smart, yes?
Yes, though it's not an open and shut case. I think the no-lynch is less obviously scummy than the tie-up-the-jailkeeper plan.
cicero wrote:I think the watchers should have no idea about claim order until tomorrow. I think it should be decided by diceroll. The popcorn thing is just that whoever claims does the diceroll for the next person to claim. Under no circumstances should anyone be able to strategise their order placement today. Particularly since no one finds either watcher to be super obv-townie.
Cool with this,
if
we decide to no-lynch, but i'm still currently against that. I don't really feel my concerns have been adequately addressed.
My personal suggestion, which, I admit, involves significantly more variance than a random chain, is to appoint a listmaker come morrow. (The idea is that the listmaker makes a list, capiche?) Obviously this plan relies quite a bit on our ability to find a town dude, but, frankly, if we are incapable of that, we don't really stand much of a chance of winning.

Here's a possibility. How about everyone make a list NOW? I'm not committed to this plan, but it has benefits, I'd like to hear what people.

Then, if the scum choose to nightkill, whoever dies has their list used. There seems to be the obvious objection that scum could just kill whoever has the best order for them, but OTOH there's a number of factors weighing into possible nightkill choices, like possibility of lynching 'em tomorrow, possibility of getting caught, etc. If the scum no-kill, we go to randomness.
cicero wrote: Fonz is scum. I'd bet my left arm.
Cicero, this is poor. I didn't feel I had the energy to get caught up with all my games in one day. Hence, I did the normals (and newbie game) yesterday, and am dealing with the minis (which are fewer, but all at fairly advanced stages, requiring some pretty serious analysis) from me, today. I didn't even check Coney Island yesterday. For your argument that my absence makes me scum, I'd have to be scum in all my minis, one of which was at deadline and in which I'd received a prod, making it a priority above this one. In the same way that you claimed I 'started posting more' because you'd accused me of being likely scum for being measured and saying just enough. So, uh, it had nothing to do with me getting a couple days off, and other games going to night then?

Also, at various points today, you have stated that your 'gut instinct is that Adele and Yvonne are scum,' voted CKD, voted DGB, and said that you'd 'bet your left arm' that I'm scum. And supported no-lynch. I find that a rather worrying range of suspicions.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1412 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Post by The Fonz »

*I posted in my large games yesterday, not my 'normal' games.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1413 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:35 pm

ok, everyone has suggested who i should jail tonight..I will make that desicion on my own. I do not want the mafia to know what I am going to do tonight...I do not what the mafia to know (the order) in which we will claim tomorrow..basically I would like to keep mafia knowledge to a mininum today so it will be harder for them tonight to make a choice for a NK and decide who and what to claim tomorrow.

also, Cicero, while I wait for shafted, did you tell shafted last night you were going to target Adele, or was that never discussed...if it wasnt discussed, why?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1414 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:41 pm

Post by The Fonz »

Nuh-uh. We've asked you to give strong consideration to one course of action. DGB has to be a strong candidate. That's really not to say she's the only one, though. In the same way that I have to be a strong watch candidate, and you have to be a strong protect candidate. That doesn't tie anyone's hands.

Also, in light of my objections, what do you have to say on the no-lynch matter?
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1415 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:56 pm

I am taking in everyone's suggestions.

At the moment, I am voting for a no lynch...but I am still gathering information today.

Most likely my vote will stay there. What it boils down to today is if we mislynch today and mafia get a NK tonight..we lose..simple as that. Your thoughts on that Fonz? You see, I dont trust anyone at this point. I have no proof that you are actually town...which means I cant trust you to actually stop a NK as far as I know, you are the one sending the night choices.

I think at this point, no lynch is the best idea..
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1416 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:59 pm

Post by The Fonz »

curiouskarmadog wrote: Most likely my vote will stay there. What it boils down to today is if we mislynch today and mafia get a NK tonight..we lose..simple as that. Your thoughts on that Fonz?
My thoughts on that is if the scum get a NK and we mislynch tomorrow, we lose. If scum don't nightkill, we're back here. And the call is made by the scum. They'll only kill if they think it's more likely to result in a scum win.

Therefore, no-lynch is giving the scum the choice of the status quo, or something they think is better.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1417 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:28 pm

how is it in our favor at all to possibly mislynch today at possibly Lylo, then no lynching today, hopefully gaining more information and possibly mislynching tomorrow at lylo?

also again look at if from my point of view, Fonz, I dont know if you are scum or not...if we mislynch today and you are scum we automatically lose, since I can not target myself unless I can correctly stop (target) the killer.

In an ideal game I would like to lynch scum today versus a no lynch, but I at this point am paranoid of everyone.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #1418 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:37 pm

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

The Fonz wrote:More to the point, there remains the DGB issue. If DGB is town, then scum can take a shot at her, with no possibility of detection. The worst case scenario for them there is DGB gets jailed, which leaves us back at the status quo with the marginal benefit that I or shaft.ed MAY choose to pass our powers to Adele. The Beth case scenario is a town player down, and no additional info.

So really, in order for no-lynching to have any conceivable benefit, DGB has to be scum. And if we're voting anything based on the notion that DGB is scum, it should be a DGB lynch.
Except, if we think DGb is scum,
losing DGb is a good thing.

The Fonz wrote:Here's a possibility. How about everyone make a list NOW? I'm not committed to this plan, but it has benefits, I'd like to hear what people.
God, no. Dice is a better idea than that. We don't want the scum prepared for the claimin'.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #1419 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:14 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

CES, I'm really tired of the Santa hat.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #1420 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:48 am

Post by shaft.ed »

curiouskarmadog wrote:is it bad that I only understand about 50% of what DGB says?
That's above average.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #1421 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:50 am

Post by shaft.ed »

curiouskarmadog wrote:so that I understand, usually you get 24 hours to chat after results are given. However, since I jailed adele, 24 hours was not needed, and the Mod started the game right after the Pm results. right?

Now, we could use Shafted here to verify this. Shafted, N1 were you given 24 hours to chat with Cicero after you joined his network? Did you know last night that Cicero received a "fail" when he tried to recruit Adele? If so, when last night? Did you know that Cicero was going to try to recruit Adele? Sorry if some of these questions are repeats.

This is just some information I would like out in the open today.
I got a PM from cicero about a day before D2 broke. It was over the weekend though so I wasn't around to respond. Cicero didn't tell me who he targeted last night, nor did I tell him.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1422 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:55 am

Post by cicero »

Networking is tricky. Shaft.ed and I don't trust each other. And he smells of peyote and loose women.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1423 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:55 am

I assume that also means Cicero didnt tell you he recieved a fail last night.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #1424 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:01 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Fonz, while I agree with your "easy lynch" example, I don't think this game represents the extremes you are talking about. If we had targets today that were overtly scummy I think we would be picking between them and not having a large number of people pushing a No Lynch. And I would argue that CKD's jailing action was more scummy than Yvonne's suggestion of CKD's jailing action. So I don't think anyone is an "easy lynch" today.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”