cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1375 (ISO) » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:08 am

Post by cicero »

None taken at all DGB. That's one more person than I trust in here.

In favor of dice popcorn

Cicero (that's me!)
Shaft.ed
curiouskarmadog
Yvonne
DGB

Opposed
Adele
CES

Silent
Fonz (who's been V/LA most of this week)
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1376 (ISO) » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:13 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

DrippingGoofball wrote:CKD is the only player I'd trust. No offense, cic.

But yeah. Popcorn should work.
I have no desire to do a list, but thanks
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1377 (ISO) » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:01 am

Post by cicero »

In fairness to the opposition some earlier arguments they've made so they don't need to write them down again.

Adele
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 734#940734
Adele wrote:I support a chainclaim tomorrow (including Fonz). Chaimclaims (popcorn?) my fave, and I've always supported their use in claims such as this. I'm okay with dice though.
she advocates the "Watchers Go Last" policy as statistically optimal in that post as well but seems more flexible than in the most recent post.

CES
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 314#941314
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #1378 (ISO) » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:07 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

curiouskarmadog wrote:how will a listmaker favor the town?
By making scummier people claim before less scummy people.
ckd wrote:And so I assume you ARE in favor of an idea that the mafia CAN influence versus one they can not?
Ceteris paribus, no, of course not. But in practice it comes down to finding a compromise between limiting scum influence and helping the town. I feel my plan does that best.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #1379 (ISO) » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:11 am

cicero wrote:CES: I'm asking you for the examples about Adele. Show me how it's consistent. Back up your assertion.
I don't remember specific examples of Adele supporting chainclaims, but I have seen her do it, certainly. I'll defer this one to Adele, as she's probably aware of at least one game in which she did.
shaft.ed wrote:Not to mention scum would have 3 of the 4 votes needed to annoint the listmaker.
Well, if they want to band together at that point in the game, that's fine by me.

cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1380 (ISO) » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:13 am

Post by cicero »

Since no one is going along with your plan, CES, you cool with ours?

(note it doesnt really matter since CES doesnt have anything to claim and the only real holdout is Adele).
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #1381 (ISO) » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:15 am

Well, fine, but I'll claim last out of protest!

*shakes fist defiantly*

cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1382 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:10 am

Post by cicero »

Fonz is all over the site today but ignoring this game, which has had lots of activity and which has a controversial issue for him to weigh in on that affects him personally.

Noted.

Fonz is scum. I'd bet my left arm.
YvonneSeer
YvonneSeer
Goon
YvonneSeer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1383 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:39 am

Post by YvonneSeer »

I'd bet your left arm too.
[i]The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.[/i]
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1384 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:39 am

Post by cicero »

YvonneSeer wrote:I'd bet your left arm too.
You bet your own damn arm, woman.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1385 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:54 am

vote no lynch
..if I havent already.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
YvonneSeer
YvonneSeer
Goon
YvonneSeer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1386 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:01 am

Post by YvonneSeer »

Okay, so I thought about it a little bit more and No Lynch is not as bad as I anticipated it would be. I'm now fine with a No Lynch but I would still prefer a DGB lynch by far.
[i]The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.[/i]
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1387 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:04 am

Post by cicero »

I want Adele and Fonz on record before the No Lynch goes through and I want people willing to lynch them for not going along with the town's claim will. Otherwise this is a useless exercise.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1388 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:53 am

I think fonz said he would claim? I dont think he has commented on the dice thing.

Adele said she would only go first or last, lets role the the dice and see where she falls before making a huge deal out of it...maybe she will go first or last and it wont be a problem...I think we should worry about that tomorrow.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1389 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Post by cicero »

hmm. interesting.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #1390 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:08 am

Post by Adele »

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
cicero wrote:CES: I'm asking you for the examples about Adele. Show me how it's consistent. Back up your assertion.
I don't remember specific examples of Adele supporting chainclaims, but I have seen her do it, certainly. I'll defer this one to Adele, as she's probably aware of at least one game in which she did.
Ugh. This, I find difficult, since I
tend
to forget details of games as soon as they end, so mostly only remember games that I can't point to as they are ongoing. However:
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... &start=298
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... &start=201
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... &start=165

Whenever people push a massclaim of any sort, I
always
press for chainclaiming; if more than 50% of the claimers are town, it seems better than chance to me. Just the same as if we
had
to lynch today, we'd be better off voting than picking the victim from a diceroll because "that way the scum can't influence it" - with more town than scum here, it seems obvious to me that the balance of influence is on the town side.

However, the bulk of opinion seems against me. I'll abide by that, in terms of not going on about chainclaiming any more - but can anyone present reasoning why it's better for watchers to ever go in the middle than at one or other end? I think earlier CES proved with game theory that the optimal behaviour is for the watchers to always go last, and I don't want sub-optimal play to rule
now
of all times because we're following what the majority feels most comfortable with rather than what hard logic shows to benefit the town the most.

To clarify - yes, I'd rather take a risk of having to present my findings
first
, than probably go in the middle and so have them potentially useless both to check other peoples' claims
and
to check
mine
If you follow.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1391 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:38 am

Post by cicero »

Adele - if you are town it is BEST for you to go last. If you are scum, you going last is the WORST option for town. Especially because you are possibly going to be able to watch twice. It is, essentially, a high risk-high reward strategy. The inverse is true about going first.

If your play had been so good and so aggressive and so inquisitve and generally obv-townie I might be persuaded to go for it. But that simply hasn't been the case. I haven't played with you before so my meta isnt very good, but I see you as fairly suspicious.

CES is correct in saying that it is optimal for watchers to go last over a large number of possible games, but we aren't playing a large number of games. We're playing one. And we are in the unfortunate position of having both our watchers be players who have a rather low post, tentative posting style (for whatever reason) that certainly reads as scum playing defensively.

Now that, certainly, has something to do with your schedule and Yvonne's style of play. But there is enough evidence against you both that we simply cannot just let you go last. And your very useful powers are at their weakest if we let you go first.

So the least best option is to let the dice decide when you both go. As far as I'm concerned the middle is a FINE place for you to go. Because it leaves you AND someone else capable of being caught in a lie. Just not as many people.

So Is it perfect? No. Will it
definitely
catch scum? No. But it is townside's least-bad option weighing all possible evidence and options. The watchers get in the queue like everyone else and let the chips fall where they may. Believe me, I wish I could say just go last.

The only other idea I thought of requires a fair amount of trust in me (and both of us staying alive) But if I target you tonight to join my network I will get 24 hours after your choices have been submitted to talk to you. I will be unable to affect anything with those choices but I can act as a repository for the information. But the problems with that are obvious. You don't know my alignment. Scum in such a situation could win the game with a bold lie, since it's LYLO. (We're dangerously close to a "No, Spock, I'm the Real Kirk!" situation in this game).

More importantly, I don't really want to be the mafia's alibi when they accuse me of shooting you dead.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #1392 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:53 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

cicero wrote:Adele - [...]

More importantly,
I don't really want to be the mafia's alibi when they accuse me of shooting you dead.
If you thought that Adele is mafia, then you would know that she wouldn't be nightkilled by her buddies, right?

The underlying assumption behind that sentence is that you KNOW that Adele is town, and that if she is nightkilled, which you might be thinking about doing, you don't want it to look bad on YOU.

Is there any other interpretation, other that you KNOW Adele is town, for you to write the above sentence the way you did?
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1393 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:54 am

Post by cicero »

omg, DG.

You are so...

think it through.

Seriously.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #1394 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:58 am

What? What am I missing?
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1395 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:06 am

Post by cicero »

No. If someone that isn't you decides there's something in what I said that's a bloody glove, I'll talk to them. But I'm not going down the rabbit hole into your wonderland. Sorry.

Here's some hints for you though: Explore the concepts of
possible outcomes
vs.
certain outcomes.

And since you're parsing text for subtle clues:

More importantly, I don't really want to be
the mafia's
alibi when
they
accuse
me
of shooting you dead.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1396 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:15 am

Post by The Fonz »

Will read, and post tonight.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #1397 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:16 am

Post by Adele »

DrippingGoofball wrote:
cicero wrote:Adele - [...]

More importantly,
I don't really want to be the mafia's alibi when they accuse me of shooting you dead.
If you thought that Adele is mafia, then you would know that she wouldn't be nightkilled by her buddies, right?

The underlying assumption behind that sentence is that you KNOW that Adele is town, and that if she is nightkilled, which you might be thinking about doing, you don't want it to look bad on YOU.

Is there any other interpretation, other that you KNOW Adele is town, for you to write the above sentence the way you did?
Oh my God, DGB. If he were
certain
I was scum, he'd be voting me. As it is, he merely thinks it
somewhat probable
, and is therefore worried
both
about me hiding my scummy night actions,
and
about me being the target of the NK tonight. These are
not
mutually exclusive concerns to have, simply because they can't both come to pass, just as I can (in RL) both be worried about dying of cancer and abouth dying in a car crash. They can't
both
happen, but I should take precautions about them both.
cicero wrote:Adele - if you are town it is BEST for you to go last. If you are scum, you going last is the WORST option for town. Especially because you are possibly going to be able to watch twice. It is, essentially, a high risk-high reward strategy. The inverse is true about going first.

If your play had been so good and so aggressive and so inquisitve and generally obv-townie I might be persuaded to go for it. But that simply hasn't been the case. I haven't played with you before so my meta isnt very good, but I see you as fairly suspicious.

CES is correct in saying that it is optimal for watchers to go last over a large number of possible games, but we aren't playing a large number of games. We're playing one. And we are in the unfortunate position of having both our watchers be players who have a rather low post, tentative posting style (for whatever reason) that certainly reads as scum playing defensively.

Now that, certainly, has something to do with your schedule and Yvonne's style of play. But there is enough evidence against you both that we simply cannot just let you go last. And your very useful powers are at their weakest if we let you go first.

So the least best option is to let the dice decide when you both go. As far as I'm concerned the middle is a FINE place for you to go. Because it leaves you AND someone else capable of being caught in a lie. Just not as many people.
OK. I'm not convinced it's optimal - but it doesn't make me totally toothless, I see that now. You win.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1398 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:18 am

thinking back..

Adele, at the start of the day when we were all claiming, you were about to claim who you targetted, of course you couldnt have targetted anyone because I jailed you. But you did submit that you were going to target someone last night. I assume it was a watcher ability...at what point were you told that that action had failed?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #1399 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:18 am

You just crashed my cerebral hard disk. True, it was a TRS-80, but it was a step up from punch cards.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”