Mafia 74: Minimally Flavoured - Game over!

Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #500 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Post by Rishi »

Skruffs wrote:
Vote : Rishi

That kind of 'in game' knowledge is usually a scum tell, I think!
You don't think it's odd that all townies are in green and that the two scum that died are listed in different colors?

Just putting forth a theory... I could be wrong.
Taking a break from MS. Please send e-mail if you want to get in touch with me.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #501 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Post by vollkan »

skruffs wrote: Vote : Rishi
That kind of 'in game' knowledge is usually a scum tell, I think!
One question, skruffs:
Is it unlikely, to the point of meriting a vote, that a townie would actually notice the colour difference and suggest that it may be indicative of two scum groups?

I must answer my question firmly in the negative. Colours are often used to differentiate alignments, so it is a perfectly ordinary suggestion that it might suggest different scum groups.
OhGodMyLife
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
Silent But Deadly

Post Post #502 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:16 pm

Post by OhGodMyLife »

I had the same thought about the two different colored mafia, so I don't find that to be a legitimate basis for an attack. I did find it odd, however, that the evidence that really seemed to make egruntz break down was a supposed link with xyl, which may not actually exist if they were in different scum groups.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #503 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:06 pm

Post by PJ. »

Unvote. Vote:Xyzzy, FoS:Skruffs

Xyzzy is definently scum methinks, for the same reason and some others then Vollkan.

I really don't like Skruffs vote on Rishi. Colors =Alignment.

Plus.. 18 people = Common setup is 2 groups of 3. Plus, Elias likes that setup and the guy who review his setup also favors using that setup. TSQ is the person who reviewed the setup.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Antithesis
Antithesis
Goon
Antithesis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #504 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:08 am

Post by Antithesis »

xyzzy wrote:
Fos: the people who decided that it was better to just kill the scum quickly befor we could get any info out of them

I assume we don't have much scum left. How do ya'll suppose we're going to find them since we killed the one person who knew for sure before they could tell us anything useful? That was quite scummy.
What was he going to do, out his own scum buddies and become a pariah here?

Now, maybe if there really are two mafia groups, he could have told the town that before he died. Would we have believed him... I don't know, but FoSing people for lynching scum is silly, unless you happen to know there are multiple groups or something along those lines.
"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it."

Thomas Paine
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #505 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:55 am

Post by Skruffs »

Rishi wrote: You don't think it's odd that all townies are in green and that the two scum that died are listed in different colors?
I completely agree that the two colors mean different scum groups, or, perhaps, a death miller. However, I am wondering why you , as soon as day started, went to the first page to compare the two mafia deaths and then 'announce your findings'. You made it explicitly clear in your post that you 'found' them, I think, in an attempt to make it look 'accidental'. However, with no out of the ordinary changes in the game, no odd roles, etc, why did you go look at it in the first place?

I'm not fossing yoru findings, i'm fossing your reasoning in finding them.
vollkan wrote: One question, skruffs:
Is it unlikely, to the point of meriting a vote, that a townie would actually notice the colour difference and suggest that it may be indicative of two scum groups?

I must answer my question firmly in the negative. Colours are often used to differentiate alignments, so it is a perfectly ordinary suggestion that it might suggest different scum groups.
Do you think a townie or a mafia would be more eager to posit that there are in fact two seperate scum groups? I am of the mindset that scum is scum. A mafia of one group seeing another mafia die would of course be inherently curious to go see if the colors were different, if there was a differentiation in the first post, which explains (more likely) why Rishi discovered this. I have no problem 'killing the messenger', in this regard.
OhGodMyLife wrote:I had the same thought about the two different colored mafia, so I don't find that to be a legitimate basis for an attack. I did find it odd, however, that the evidence that really seemed to make egruntz break down was a supposed link with xyl, which may not actually exist if they were in different scum groups.
Mod : Are the color codings in post 1 all accurate?

I like panzer's post. Metaing the mod is always good. However, I'm not discrediting the colors theory, rather the manner in which it was brought up.

Interesting how Antithesis has run wiwth the idea, though. Xyzzy scum cuz he knew there were two scum groups? Clever thinking.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #506 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:34 am

Post by hasdgfas »

I have to kind of agree with Skruffs here. Noticing that as your first post of the day makes it seem like there's another reason for your actions. It's kinda like egruntz and the "knew Xyl was scum" statement, IMO.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #507 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:44 am

Post by Rishi »

Skruffs wrote: I completely agree that the two colors mean different scum groups, or, perhaps, a death miller. However, I am wondering why you , as soon as day started, went to the first page to compare the two mafia deaths and then 'announce your findings'. You made it explicitly clear in your post that you 'found' them, I think, in an attempt to make it look 'accidental'. However, with no out of the ordinary changes in the game, no odd roles, etc, why did you go look at it in the first place?
I don't know about anyone else, but I frequently look at the first post. I'm in a lot of games right now (probably more than I can handle) and I needed to remind myself which game this was and what had happened. If you guys can remember who was killed, their roles, and the current game situation off the tops of your heads, good for you - but I can't do it, especially in a game this large.

If you want to keep focusing on why I noticed the difference, that's fine. But, I think a lot of people assumed, when they strung up egruntz yesterday, that he was Xyl's scumbuddy. Don't you think this has other implications on the game, if they were not partners?
Taking a break from MS. Please send e-mail if you want to get in touch with me.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #508 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:52 am

Post by PJ. »

I guess I see where Skruffs is coming from but I'm with Rishi, I check the first post pretty often as well, so I can see him seeing this and reporting it.
Snaps_the_Pirate
Snaps_the_Pirate
Goon
Snaps_the_Pirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #509 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:32 pm

Post by Snaps_the_Pirate »

Question for Panz:

Is there a reason you voted for Phate? Did I miss it somehow? I don't recall you ever FoSing him or stating any suspicion about him before.
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Not Statistically Significant
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #510 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Post by Elias_the_thief »

The First Official Day Three Flavorless Votecount:

Xyzzy - 2
(panzerjager, Snaps the pirate)
Rishi - 1
(skruffs)
OhGodMyLife - 0

Antithesis - 0

Bookitty - 0

liamcool - 0

Snaps the pirate - 0

panzerjager - 0

Hasdgfas - 0

Skruffs - 0

Phate - 0

Vollkan - 0

Nobody - 9
(Antithesis, Vollkan, Phate, hasdgfas, Xyzzy, liamcool, OhGodMyLife, Rishi, Bookitty)

With
alive, it will take
to lynch.

Deadline will be
Sunday, March 9th, at 10 PM EST.

I play the games rul gud.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #511 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Post by vollkan »

Skruffs wrote: Do you think a townie or a mafia would be more eager to posit that there are in fact two seperate scum groups? I am of the mindset that scum is scum. A mafia of one group seeing another mafia die would of course be inherently curious to go see if the colors were different, if there was a differentiation in the first post, which explains (more likely) why Rishi discovered this. I have no problem 'killing the messenger', in this regard.
Skruffs, go to page 1 and tell me whether or not you notice the colour difference when you look at the "dead players" list.

I don't think that the colour difference is so subtle as to make it unlikely a townie would notice it. Rishi has already said he checked the first post, so it seems natural that he would notice the colour difference.
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #512 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Post by Elias_the_thief »

Also, the coloring is indeed accurate.
I play the games rul gud.
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #513 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:46 pm

Post by Skruffs »

Vollkan - I'm not saying it's not noticeable. Did I say that it was too subtle to notice? I didn't. I said that Rishi's post seems to be very carefully formulated to be an 'oh by the way guys look at this'... I'm not saying he should be lynched for it, I'm expressing my suspicion of him.

What I am inferring is that Rishi speculated that it was either the mod scrweing around or that there are two mafia groups. The two mafia groups are inherently more likely; I'm not saying that there isn't; but the comment is phrased in a way to *look* speculative but it really isn't. In fact, with the name of the game, "Minimal Flavor", it may very well be that the mod has in fact used the coloring as the only basis in which to determine which mafia is which.

I'm feeling ruffled, but I think that's a good thing.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #514 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:15 pm

Post by PJ. »

I understand where you can see it ass him trying to look townie and being faux helpful, especially because I believe we already established that there were 2 scum groups in this game. The colors are prolly the only difference, I feel you on that. Anyway, back to rishi, I think Rishi is on that fine line of being town and seeming town but I'm leaning towards actually being town.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #515 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:00 am

Post by vollkan »

Skruffs wrote: Vollkan - I'm not saying it's not noticeable. Did I say that it was too subtle to notice? I didn't. I said that Rishi's post seems to be very carefully formulated to be an 'oh by the way guys look at this'... I'm not saying he should be lynched for it, I'm expressing my suspicion of him.
Well, you said to me that:
Skruffs wrote: Do you think a townie or a mafia would be more eager to posit that there are in fact two seperate scum groups? I am of the mindset that scum is scum. A mafia of one group seeing another mafia die would of course be inherently curious to go see if the colors were different, if there was a differentiation in the first post, which explains (more likely) why Rishi discovered this. I have no problem 'killing the messenger', in this regard.
That makes it pretty clear that you think it more likely that Rishi-scum would discover it than Rishi-town. You even use the exact words "explains (more likely) why Rishi discovered this." If your problem was only Rishi's reporting of his discovery, as you now claim, (and I will get to this in just one minute) then this doesn't fit.

As for the claim that the way he reported his discovery seemed to be formulated to stress that he found it by accident, you are veering into "too-townie" territory.

Let's look at what Rishi actually said:
Rishi wrote:
So I noticed something. Xyl and egruntz were listed in different colors when dead. Now, Elias could have done this for no good reason, or Xyl and egruntz could have been on different scum teams.

With three deaths on the first night, it's likely there's more than one scum group. Only one death last night, but that doesn't mean anything... especially now that we know there's a doc in the setup.
He says he "noticed" it. He goes on to give the two best explanations, and gives evidence supporting that there are 2 scum groups.

You're reaching badly to suggest that this looks fake. If I had been in the same situation as Rishi, I dare say I would have written much the same sort of thing.
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #516 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:38 am

Post by Skruffs »

I stand by my earlier stance. You'll notice that, however, that I'm not attacking people who disagree with me. It's a personal scum tell that I am going to stick by for the time being.

I am guessing by your last paragraph that you are *not*, in fact, in the same situation as Rishi. However, isn't the situation, as you see it, that Rishi, as town, noticed something on the front page? What about your situation is different than his?

Also, noticed you teasing the cop that claimed to have been roleblocked the previous night.
FOS
that's as much a scum tell as someone congratulating the doctor on a successful no-kill. Why would you expect him to have results today?

I'm actually rather surprised that the mafia are wasting their roleblock on the cop; they now have much more of a threat in a opposing gang of mafiates. The cop is as likely to hit one group as the other, the other groups will only either hit each other or town.
NOTE TO SCUM : THE COP CAN HELP YOU AT THIS POINT IN THE GAME, LEAVE HIM ALONE!

Also, I love Panzer but his buddying is creepy.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #517 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:58 am

Post by vollkan »

Skruffs wrote: I stand by my earlier stance. You'll notice that, however, that I'm not attacking people who disagree with me. It's a personal scum tell that I am going to stick by for the time being.
You'll notice that I have argued that it is not, in fact, a scumtell. Thus, I consider any suspicion of Rishi stemming solely from his reporting of the colour difference to be unjustified. Just because you personally consider it to be a scumtell doesn't justify your belief.

Imagine this - Vollkan has just argued the earth is flat:
"I stand by my earlier stance. You'll notice that, however, that I'm not attacking people who disagree with me. It's a personal view that I am going to stick by for the time being."

Skruffs wrote: I am guessing by your last paragraph that you are *not*, in fact, in the same situation as Rishi. However, isn't the situation, as you see it, that Rishi, as town, noticed something on the front page? What about your situation is different than his?
Stupid question, really.

Rishi was in the situation of having noticed a colour difference which was potentially very significant. As I said: ". If I had been in the same situation as Rishi, I dare say I would have written much the same sort of thing."

If it was me that had noticed the difference and it hadn't yet been reported (ie. if I was in Rishi's situation) I would have said essentially the same thing as he did.
Skruffs wrote: Also, noticed you teasing the cop that claimed to have been roleblocked the previous night. FOS that's as much a scum tell as someone congratulating the doctor on a successful no-kill. Why would you expect him to have results today?
I guess you are referring to this:
Skruffs wrote: And, Antithesis, let's hear some results :D
That isn't teasing. My intention in adding the :D was to express eagerness at the prospect of getting more information, particularly given that we hadn't received information on D2.

I was
hoping
that he had results. In the same way that saying "Let's do our best" doesn't suggest any expectation that you will do your best - just that you are hoping to.
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #518 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:05 am

Post by Skruffs »

The earth *is* flat. Are you saying that Rishi *definitely* is town, or merely that the means by which I am determining his alignment are in error?

Careful how you phrase yourself, you are slipping. :)
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #519 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Post by vollkan »

I'm not slipping :D
Voll wrote: You'll notice that I have argued that it is not, in fact, a scumtell. Thus, I consider any suspicion of Rishi stemming solely from his reporting of the colour difference to be unjustified. Just because you personally consider it to be a scumtell doesn't justify your belief.

Imagine this - Vollkan has just argued the earth is flat:
"I stand by my earlier stance. You'll notice that, however, that I'm not attacking people who disagree with me. It's a personal view that I am going to stick by for the time being."
If you bothered reading that, you would see my position stated very "I consider any suspicion of Rishi stemming solely from his reporting of the colour difference to be unjustified." In other words, I reject that it is a scumtell. Nowhere do I say he seems even slightly pro-town. All I am saying is that your arguments are bullshit.

The point of the flat-earth reference was because you seemed to be pulling an appeal to your subjective viewpoint - by calling it a "personal scumtell". My point was that I don't much care whether or not it is a "personal scumtell", I'm going to attack it and consider it illegitimate unless you either objectively justify it, or relinquish it.
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #520 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:01 pm

Post by Skruffs »

Why are personal scumtells unacceptable in games with you in them?

You reference involved something that is known not toue; the earth being flat; under the that it is their personal opinion and not something they expect others to believe. The two examples don't match up,though. I provided reasoning for why rishi scum would say what he said, you then called my hypothesis a flat earth theory. If the earth might in fact 'be flat', (or in this casse, rishi might be scum), why the unadulterated resistance agaiinst theoretical examinations of his motives??? One clue either leads to anotheer clue, or it leads to a dead end.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #521 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:18 pm

Post by vollkan »

Skruffs wrote: Why are personal scumtells unacceptable in games with you in them?
As I said, "I don't much care whether or not it is a "personal scumtell", I'm going to attack it and consider it illegitimate unless you either objectively justify it, or relinquish it."

Having a "personal scumtell" is not prima facie unacceptable, but it is when you can't justify it.
Skruffs wrote: You reference involved something that is known not toue; the earth being flat; under the that it is their personal opinion and not something they expect others to believe. The two examples don't match up,though. I provided reasoning for why rishi scum would say what he said, you then called my hypothesis a flat earth theory. If the earth might in fact 'be flat', (or in this casse, rishi might be scum), why the unadulterated resistance agaiinst theoretical examinations of his motives??? One clue either leads to anotheer clue, or it leads to a dead end.
Again, you miss the point.

I think your reason for suspecting Rishi is a manifestly stupid one - akin to the earth being flat. That doesn't mean I think Rishi is town - just that I think your argument for him being scum is bullshit.

I'm not opposed to theoretical examinations - I am opposed to you assuming that he did something which is scummy in the absence of evidence.
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #522 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:22 pm

Post by Skruffs »

Maybe I'm just confused. What do you mean by ''objectively justify' ?
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #523 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:34 pm

Post by vollkan »

Justify with either logic or evidence. Stuff that the rest of us can critically examine. We cannot critically examine you saying that you "personally" hold the view.

To make this clear:
Subjective = "I feel X is scum."
Objective = "I believe X is scum because X did Y, which is scummy because <reasoning>"
Snaps_the_Pirate
Snaps_the_Pirate
Goon
Snaps_the_Pirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #524 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:59 pm

Post by Snaps_the_Pirate »

I'm going to chime in on the Skruffs/Rishi discussion. It is compleatly possible that Skuffs is correct, and Rishi is scum tring to gain some FoI by pointing out some usefull information. However, wouldn't an innocent townie do the same? I don't think saying "Hey, look at what I just found!" could be pigeon-holed in to scum or non-scum tell. To me it just says Rishi is either scum trying to look helpful or town trying to be helpful. Until we get more information we won't be able to tell whitch it is.

Still waiting for Panz to respond to my question in post 509. Unexplained votes make me suspicious. FoS Panzerjager

Still waiting for Xyzzy to repond to my post/vote 498. How is his lurking helping?

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”