'The Lost Boys' Mafia (Cry Little Sister, it's OVER!)

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #3375 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:00 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Twenty-seventh Vote Count of Day Four:
(same as the last count, actually)

Yosarian2 - 6 (Mastermind of Sin, cicero, Crub, Setael, Mariyta, PookyTheMagicalBear)

PookyTheMagicalBear - 3 (Arafax, Yosarian2, Dasquian)
Mastermind of Sin - 1 (HackerHuck)
Mariyta - 1 (Sir.Laggalot)
cicero - 1 (Battle Mage)
Battle Mage - 1 (Ectomancer)

Not Voting - 3 (AniX, Adel, Sudo_Nym)

With sixteen left, nine votes will be needed to lynch.
Posting is keeping up but forward motion seems to be slow. I will evaluate after the weekend if this STV-thing is catching on or if a deadline is needed.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3376 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:09 am

Post by Ectomancer »

cicero wrote:Moral suasion ftw.

I don't really see this situation as much different than a normal situation where someone claims vig. The choice is the vig's (by definition). If they go off the rails in their kill choices, you suspect that something is up and press them.

Frankly, their are downsides to both positions. As far as I can tell their are personalities in this game that are strong and smart enough to direct the vigs, for the cult, from right here in the thread. And at the same time, we would essentially be telling the cult what the vigs planned to do. I don't like that.

As I said, I think it is much more likely that we have a mafia/cult hybrid where they can choose who sends in the recruitment. So I see no reason to help them out in making that choice.

I see the other side of the argument. I see the downside. I just dont think it outweighs.
Your position is rendered invalid by the simple fact that the Froggies are
not
Vigs. They have several options to choose from. There are several good reasons why the Vig option should be removed from their repertoire and scant, if any reasons why they should be allowed to kill whoever they damn well please.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #3377 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:19 am

Post by cicero »

Agree to disagree. I'm not compelled.

And of course, I don't trust you or MOS which also colors my opinion. But I dont trust Yos either. So... vigs can take that into account if Yos ends up dead today. (his alignment will be known going into night.)

I have pretty high regard for Adel's judgement as well. If someone else was in the seat, I might feel differently. Might.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #3378 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:45 am

Post by Adel »

cicero wrote:Breaking News:

Doctor Who Mafia is now over.

Yosarian was scum. Pooky was Cult Recruiter. Pooky died while trying to recruit Yosarian2 as scum on night zero. As I said before, recruiting Yosarian2 would indeed be what smart people do. Cults will hunt for talent if they are started by smart players.

As a side note: Yosarian's play in that game raised my eyebrows at a point just like his play in this game is doing. It made me doubt my feeling that he was scum in this game. Now that he's turned up scum in that game I'm even more comfortable believing that Yosarian is SOME manner of scum in this game.

None of this proves anything, I know.
And I was a pro-cult vig in that game. Why did you leave that part out?
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #3379 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:52 am

Post by Adel »

Ectomancer wrote:There are several good reasons why the Vig option should be removed from their repertoire and scant, if any reasons why they should be allowed to kill whoever they damn well please.
or else? What are you going to do, roleblock one of us if we say we are going to Vig? I don't want to vig or track the person you roleblock, so I'd appreciate knowing who your target is going to be.
cicero wrote:As I said, I think it is much more likely that we have a mafia/cult hybrid where they can choose who sends in the recruitment. So I see no reason to help them out in making that choice.
I think there is a very real chance that I'll be able to talk my brother into vigging cicero with me tonight.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #3380 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:59 am

Post by cicero »

/shrug. Go ahead. I'm ripe for recruitment anyway and I've done my best with this game.

Strike me down and everything I say just becomes more legitimate.

Keep an eye on your townie numbers though. You don't have unlimited screw ups like that available.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #3381 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:15 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

cicero wrote:As a side note: Yosarian's play in that game raised my eyebrows at a point just like his play in this game is doing. It made me doubt my feeling that he was scum in this game. Now that he's turned up scum in that game I'm even more comfortable believing that Yosarian is SOME manner of scum in this game.
Well, that's silly. My playstyle is my playstyle, and it really dosn't change at all based on my alingment.

It's kind of ironic; I was scum in Dr Who, but basically no one was suspicious of me at all in that game; even the last day of the game, no one really distrusted me, I was just mostly doomed by process of elimination and because of an unlucky roleclaim. However in this game, when I'm pro-town, I've been attacked almost non-stop for months now, often by the same people who thought I was town in Dr Who mafia.

Apparently, if people are suspicious of me, it probably means I'm pro-town.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #3382 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:19 am

Post by cicero »

I was always suspicious of you in Doctor Who. It was after a conversation we had during the "Albert B" Rampage. I forget what it was but your logic didnt work for me there either. The fact that your logic didnt work for me in that game made me second guess my suspicions of you in this game a bit. Now that has been removed.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #3383 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Can you be more specific about what logic I used in *this game* that "didn't work for you"? If you didn't understand a point I was making, I'll be glad to explain it again.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #3384 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:33 am

Post by cicero »

No. The game is long enough already. It's a pattern of things. Like your switch from searching for the CR to anyone scummy, and your vacillation of whether you believe there's a team of Lost Boys or a single CR. Not just vacillation but actively forgetting to account for such. Also your scumhunting seemed disingenuous with Fonz, then you went after what I would say are the easy wagons, and now you've sorta mostly clammed up.

Your recent insistance on how we should all lynch MoS instead of vigging him has also never rung true to me. When I challenged your balance arguments against it, suddenly you werent up to the challenge because you'd never played in a game like this before, so you threw out some possibilities but nothing definitive. Certainly nothing definitive enough for me to accept your lynch-immunity logic re MoS and why we should lynch him and, if he's town, go No Lynch.

Like I said a variety of stuff has tweaked at different times. As I've said many times, you have a mind like a steel trap. I know it. You know it. So when over and over I go "wait... that's not so definitely true..." or "but he used to be all about the CR and now it's anyone scummy..." etc. Well, you look like scum to me. What can I say?

Sadly... way too many people look like scum to me in this game. I know I'm wrong about some of them. It makes me sad. :(

But that's the basic reasoning for why I suspect you.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #3385 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:12 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

cicero wrote:No. The game is long enough already. It's a pattern of things. Like your switch from searching for the CR to anyone scummy,
How else do you expect to find the cult recruiter, except by searching for a pattern of scummy behavior?
and your vacillation of whether you believe there's a team of Lost Boys or a single CR. Not just vacillation but actively forgetting to account for such.
I never "actively forgot to account for such". I don't know if there's a group or a single cult recruiter; I've tended to think a group more likely for a long time. I often say "a cult recruiter" or "the cult recruiter" or whatever, but that term when I use it always means "anyone with the ability to recruit people." Like, when I say "a lynchproof cult recruiter is broken", that statement applies equally no matter if we're dealing with a single cult recruiter, or a member of a group who is capabale of recruiting for that group. On the occasions when I have specifically delt with the idea of a specific cult recruiter, it was usually in answer to a bad argument that assumed there was one; for example, your bad argument that a lynchproof cult recruiter makes sense as a way of preventing a lone cult recruiter from being lynched on day 1; I responded in terms of a single cult recruiter, because I think that even in that case, a lynchproof lone cult recruiter does not make sense.

In any case, though, I'm not making any assumptions here, because we don't hane enough information to do so. I'm willing to look at things from either possibility, to evaluate the potential of any one person being either a lone cult recruiter or part of a recruiting cult group, and I have and will continue to do so. Like I've said before, obsession with consistancy is a scum tell; townies need to be more flexable then that, more willing to consider other possibilities. The fact that I'm willing to go back and fourth between lone cult recruiter theories and cult group theories, to consider people in either light and to think the game through in terms of multiple possibilities, is a good thing, and everyone should be doing the same; getting too focused in on a single, unproven theory in a game where we know so little is bad for the town.
Also your scumhunting seemed disingenuous with Fonz
What? "Disingenuous"? How was that "disingenuous"? I made very clear why I suspected him, and most of the town agreed with me. He acted really, really scummy day 1.
, then you went after what I would say are the easy wagons
If by "easy wagons", you mean "people who looked scummy", then yes, of course I did.
, and now you've sorta mostly clammed up.
Clammed up? Are you kidding? I've made 11 posts in the PAST 3 DAYS, 12 if you count this one, and most of them were quite long and detailed and content-filled. I wasn't around over the weekend, but before that, I made 4 long content-filled posts on Thursday of last week, 6 on Wednesday, 4 on Tuesday, ect ect. And for the most part, those were not short posts, either, By any reasonable standard, I've been INCREDIBLY active in this game, almost absurdly so; I mean, I make more posts per day in this game then most active mafiascummers make in all of their games per day combined; especally considering how crappy Bluehost has been this month, I think the amount of time and effort I've put into this game is extremly high.

Your recent insistance on how we should all lynch MoS instead of vigging him has also never rung true to me. When I challenged your balance arguments against it, suddenly you werent up to the challenge because you'd never played in a game like this before, so you threw out some possibilities but nothing definitive.
What? Of course I was "up to the challange"; I've explained like 20 times why a lynch proof person with the cult recruiter ability could never be a balanced role, in any situation I can imagine. Of course there's a bazzilion possibilities for what we're dealing with here, because we have so little information, but not a single one of them includes a lynch proof cult recruiter, all right? And it's not just a balance issue, either; there's also the incredibly serious game-play problem of a cult recruiter being able to "take down" one more townie after he's been caught, which is just horribly warped since that means another person who was pro-town just randomally loses the game. I don't know why you keep acting like you don't understand these arguments, or acting like there's some reason to not believe them; they're quite clear, I think.
Certainly nothing definitive enough for me to accept your lynch-immunity logic re MoS and why we should lynch him and, if he's town, go No Lynch.
Um, if he's town, then WE SHOULDN'T LYNCH HIM OR VIG HIM. Duh. Your whole "no lynch" argument you keep making is a red herring, since yes, a no lynch would be bad, but a dead townie would be worse. Isn't that obveous to you? Why are you attacking me for "bad logic", while ignoring the huge holes in your own logic?

The "vig MOS" argument was just bad; the cost for the town, of probably getting a Frog Brother recruited for example, was just way too high, and as I think that a lynch proof cult recruiter is so unlikely as to not even be worth worrying about, a lynch would be nearly as good; if he's pro-town, then a lynch is better then a vig kill, since it obveously means that a pro-town person dosn't die; the only situation where a vig kill is better then a lynch is if he's a cult recruit, and a small chance of killing one random cult recruit isn't really worth the cost.

In any case, the whole "vig MOS" camp looked so scummy to me, I really tend to doubt he's any kind of scum at the moment, so I don't want him lynched or vigged any more. I still say, though, that unless you've got a really good argument for him being a cult RECRUIT, that lynching MOS would be better then vigging MOS.
Like I said a variety of stuff has tweaked at different times. As I've said many times, you have a mind like a steel trap. I know it. You know it. So when over and over I go "wait... that's not so definitely true..." or "but he used to be all about the CR and now it's anyone scummy..." etc.
By the way, the big point when I changed from "We must focus on the scum recruiter" to "any bad guy is fine by me" was the point where Maryta claimed, and at that point, the natrual assumption seemed to be that anyone who was recruited had the option to decline. If that was the case, then getting rid of any bad guy would seem worthwhile to me; lynching cult recruits is only actually a bad thing if the cult can sucessfully recruit more then 50% of the time.

However, now that more days have gone by we haven't had anyone else make the same claim, the scales of doubt in my mind are starting to tip back the other way; it's looking like, assuming Maryta is telling the truth, that perhaps not everyone does have a choice, because if they did then we probably would have hear someone else claim to have been bitten, right? If most people don't have a choice, then I'm leaning back in the direction of "get the cult recruiter or recruiters first, leave the recruits until later". Again, though, we don't really have hard facts to work with, and if new evidence come in (like, if tommorow someone claims to be a vanillia townie who got bit but is still pro-town), then my mind is likely to change again.

Note that, dispite my suspicion of Ecto very likely being recruited last night, I haven't pushed for his lynch; I don't think he's a origional scum memeber (since then, Maryta wouldn't have gotten an innocent on him), and so I don't think he's a good lynch target until after we take out the cult recruiter. So bascially, I've now gone back to thinking that we don't really want to lynch cult recruits at this point in the game.

In any case, the flaw isn't in my logic; my logic is fine, it just reaches different conclusions as new facts come in, which is a GOOD THING; you SHOULD come to different logical conclusions when you have different facts avalable to you. Irrational consistancy is a scum tell.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #3386 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:44 pm

Post by cicero »

No. With respect to Mariyta: the most reasonable conclusions are:
1) Mariyta is lying.
2) Power roles choose.

Yet this #2 (the more likely option) is never mentioned when discussing what the vigs should do.

I never thought everyone would get to choose. I do think power roles will. (Although Mariyta's failure to knowledgeably suffer more than a day after the event occurred points to her lying. Only explained away by the curfew really.)

----------------------

Mariyta getting a choice led to your change from a CR to any bad guy is fine. I see the change in information. I do not see the causation as to why this would make you change your mind.

Hypothesis: What really changed your mind was at the time you wanted me lynched and I wasnt playing like many imagined a CR should play. So your approach changed.

------------------

With respect to the CR or groups, suggestions are often made about strategies that will block "the cult recruiter". These strategies should not be contemplated because it is possible that there is more than one recruiter. Since you raised that possibility, Yos, I'd expect you to be the one correcting people when they (we) slip into single recruiter plans.

-----------------------------

With respect to Ecto, you have never explained why you rule him out as an original recruit. It seems you only decided he's recruited after he went at you. A scum role blocker makes sense even if it ends up not being true.

-----------------------------------

On MOS and mislynches: Mislynch is better than no lynch because it confirms the identity of the dead. So far this game is like a gigantic series of Day Ones. I have continually maintained why I thought we should vig MoS instead of lynch him IF people think he is scummy. This point was discussed before. But I dont want MoS vigged or lynched if he's town. Sadly, I don't have a map to the recruiter. Just top suspects, and as you will recall, MoS has been one of mine since the No Lynch fight at the end of Day 2.

Would you like us to continue to vote no lynch until the Frog Bros find us a guy?

---------------------------------

Clammed up: Your posts are all defensive. You are defending youself, and other than your very unlikely Ecto was just recruited, theory have shown little in the way of actual suspicion recently. That change in behavior points to your own recruitment. Not Ecto's.

---------------------------
Up to the Challenge: You are misrepresenting my point. You were explicitly clear in your opinion on why MoS couldn't possibly be the recruiter and have that power. What you werent explicitly clear on was when I asked you to use that knowledge to build us a couple of examples of how the game might be balanced so we could flag who WAS lying.
------------------------------

As you can tell, I have no problem being inconsistent. But I'm raising various possibilities, inconsistent though they clearly are. Not conveniently forgetting factors and possibilities. It's different.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have my why Yosarian might be town arguments too by the way:
- While I disagreed with how you went after Fonz and then targets like Sudo (was it?) I did agree that at the time you were scumhunting.

- You counselled us against the Peers lynch.

- Part of my feelings about my safeclaim theory expect it to be a less main character than Sam Emerson. Lucy and Grandpa level. But that is, as has been well pointed out, total outguessing the mod.

That's about it though.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #3387 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:35 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

cicero wrote:No. With respect to Mariyta: the most reasonable conclusions are:
1) Mariyta is lying.
2) Power roles choose.
Those are two possibilities, but I hardly the only options, by any streach of the imagination. I'm not sure why you've been consistnatly making such assumptions in this game based on such limited informaton
Yet this #2 (the more likely option) is never mentioned when discussing what the vigs should do.
(shrug) Not willing to count on it without proof that that's how it works. And even if it is still true, I'm honestly not all that confident about which way the frog brothers might choose if given the chance.
I never thought everyone would get to choose.
Eh? Why not?
I do think power roles will. (Although Mariyta's failure to knowledgeably suffer more than a day after the event occurred points to her lying. Only explained away by the curfew really.)
(shrug) Or that the whole "suffer" thing was always just a flavor thing.

Mariyta getting a choice led to your change from a CR to any bad guy is fine. I see the change in information. I do not see the causation as to why this would make you change your mind.
Simple. If the cult recruitment always suceeded, then while lynching a cult member still gives the town info, it actually hurts the town in a numeric sense (Cult loses one member, then at night, cult gains one memeber and town loses one member). If the cult recruitment often fails (say, at least 50% of the time), then lynching any cult member probably helps the town (It dosn't really hurt the town numerically, if the town lynches two cult recruits in two days and one townie or less gets lynched in that time, and those lynches help the town make connections and get info, so they're probably good for the town). So, if the cult recruitement fails a lot, lynching a cult recruit is good for the town; if cult recruitment fails only rarely, then lynching a cult recruit might be bad for the town, depending on how much info we get from it. That's why, when Maryta claimed that the cult recruitment attempt on her failed, that information changed the ideal town stratagy in my mind.
With respect to the CR or groups, suggestions are often made about strategies that will block "the cult recruiter". These strategies should not be contemplated because it is possible that there is more than one recruiter. Since you raised that possibility, Yos, I'd expect you to be the one correcting people when they (we) slip into single recruiter plans.
(shrug) I assume that there is some way the roleblocker can prevent a, or the, recruiter from recruiting, otherwise the role would be useless; if there is a multiple recruiter group, then I would guess that blocking the recruiter who's doing the night action would work.
With respect to Ecto, you have never explained why you rule him out as an original recruit. It seems you only decided he's recruited after he went at you. A scum role blocker makes sense even if it ends up not being true.
Um, Maryta got an innocent on him. That means he wasn't scum at the time she did the investigation, although he could have been recruited later that night.

And Ecto's been "going at me" for quite a long time now, Cicero. I think he was recruited last night because I think he was recruited last night.
On MOS and mislynches: Mislynch is better than no lynch because it confirms the identity of the dead.
So, say, just for the sake of argument, MOS gets vigged and it turns out he was town and telling the truth. What does that information tell us, exactally? Is that information useful enough to make it worth the loss of another townie? At this point, I really doubt it. Especally since a lynch could also confirm he is telling the truth about his role, which, in my opinion, would give us almost as much info but wouldn't cost us a townie.
Would you like us to continue to vote no lynch until the Frog Bros find us a guy?
What? Who's voting no lynch? I'm voting to lynch Pooky, who I think is likely to be the cult recruiter. What game are you playing?
Clammed up: Your posts are all defensive.
Um, no, not at all. I've had a lot of defensive posts recently, because you people keep attacking me and I'm at 6 votes. Geez, if someone was at 6 votes and they WEREN'T defending themselves, now THAT would be a scumtell. But I'm hardly JUST defending myself.
You are defending youself, and other than your very unlikely Ecto was just recruited, theory have shown little in the way of actual suspicion recently. That change in behavior points to your own recruitment. Not Ecto's.
Um, or perhaps I've been defending myself BECAUSE I'M AT 6 VOTES? Or because I always, always, ALWAYS respond to any attacks on me, and I've been attacked a lot? Could THAT explain my "change of behavior", perhaps?

And no, I'm hardly "just defending myself". That's simply untrue. In just the past 9 days, I've made:

3 posts explaining my suspicions of Pooky
5 posts explaining my suspicions that Ecto was recruited
A post exploring a possible link between Ecto and Pooky
I've explained my suspicions of setael
Several posts disussing ideal vig stratagy
And a post explaining to Adel why IMHO killing Maryta is not a good idea

I've been far more active recently at real, useful scumhunting and discussing useful game stratagy then almost everyone else in this game. You could ignore every single one of my defensive posts and I'd STILL be one of the more active content providers in this game. So, no, you're still compeltly and entirely wrong at claiming I'm "not doing anything".

Up to the Challenge: You are misrepresenting my point. You were explicitly clear in your opinion on why MoS couldn't possibly be the recruiter and have that power. What you werent explicitly clear on was when I asked you to use that knowledge to build us a couple of examples of how the game might be balanced so we could flag who WAS lying.
Well, sure, we don't have nearly enough information yet to really figure out exactally what the game setup is yet. I never claimed we did. But I do have a pretty good idea of what a balanced game is, and I think I can at least use that to rule out possibilites.
As you can tell, I have no problem being inconsistent. But I'm raising various possibilities, inconsistent though they clearly are. Not conveniently forgetting factors and possibilities. It's different.
I've never "conveinetly" forgot any factors or possibilites. Just because I'm not wasting time defending some game setup speculations of mine every single post, dosn't mean I've "forgotten" about them.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #3388 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:51 pm

Post by Adel »

vote: PookyTheMagicalBear

I agree with Yos2
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #3389 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:04 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

1) Mariyta is lying.
2) Power roles choose.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to explain:

One reason I'm considering other options is that both of those theories seem to have problems.

#1 seems psycologically improbable; what would she have to gain by lying and claiming to be half-recruited, when she was already a trusted cop with a strong roleclaim?

And while #2 makes game-balance sense, there's a flavor problem with it. Your theory here is that all power roles get a choice, but all vanillia townies would turn right into a vampire, right? If I'm remembering the movie right, it sounds like the whole "you become a half vampire and can only become a full vampire by choosing to kill someone" thing was based on what happened to Micheal, right? But the problem is, in this game, Anlx claimed to be Michael and claimed to be a vanillia townie; by your theory, that would mean that Michael himself wouldn't go through the whole "half vampire" thing that was based on what happened to Michael in the movie. I mean, that's not an ironclad argument or anything, we don't know how closely the mod based this game on the flavor of the movie and we also don't 100% know that Anlx is telling the truth, but it does bug me.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3390 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:17 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Well, as long as we are splitting hairs over the movie, Michael was never bitten either, as Mariyta claims to have been. He drank from a bottle of "wine" that was really Max's blood. That's when he became half-vampire.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3391 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:18 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

For those who haven't presented a list, at least chime in and say you don't approve and refuse to submit one. Either that, or request a replacement :x

cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #3392 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:52 pm

Post by cicero »

Gah. I'm trying to stay away from quote pyramids!!

Yosarian2 wrote:
1) Mariyta is lying.
2) Power roles choose.
Those are two possibilities, but I hardly the only options, by any streach of the imagination. I'm not sure why you've been consistnatly making such assumptions in this game based on such limited informaton.
What would "suffeing entail? A post-restriction or a loss of powers. Or their death. No one is dying. Is anyone post-restricted? maybe. But I dont see much evidence for it.

#2 is the best scenario fitting the evidence we have as well as game balance. This is my whole problem. You are SO adamant on one aspect of game balance: the lynch immunity. Yet on nothing else.

(shrug) Not willing to count on it without proof that that's how it works. And even if it is still true, I'm honestly not all that confident about which way the frog brothers might choose if given the chance.
I agree, that we can't trust them not to turn. But scum dont need to take that risk to win.
I never thought everyone would get to choose.
Eh? Why not?
See above. That would be one wimpy ass cult. Maybe I'm missing it all but it seems like a game balance thing. It also accords with the usual limits on cults. Recruit scum/power and die.

I do think power roles will. (Although Mariyta's failure to knowledgeably suffer more than a day after the event occurred points to her lying. Only explained away by the curfew really.)
(shrug) Or that the whole "suffer" thing was always just a flavor thing.
This was not intimated to Mariyta at all. The intimation was consequences. But thanks for giving her a way out if she's lying.

(Just like Ectomancer did with that whole "essential personnel" thing.)
Simple. If the cult recruitment always suceeded, then while lynching a cult member still gives the town info, it actually hurts the town in a numeric sense (Cult loses one member, then at night, cult gains one memeber and town loses one member). If the cult recruitment often fails (say, at least 50% of the time), then lynching any cult member probably helps the town (It dosn't really hurt the town numerically, if the town lynches two cult recruits in two days and one townie or less gets lynched in that time, and those lynches help the town make connections and get info, so they're probably good for the town). So, if the cult recruitement fails a lot, lynching a cult recruit is good for the town; if cult recruitment fails only rarely, then lynching a cult recruit might be bad for the town, depending on how much info we get from it. That's why, when Maryta claimed that the cult recruitment attempt on her failed, that information changed the ideal town stratagy in my mind.
Cool. No rebuttal. This makes sense to me. If you had articulated before, I missed it.

I see only one instance of recruitment failure though, and it happened to be a power-role. So I know the way I'm leaning for the moment.
(shrug) I assume that there is some way the roleblocker can prevent a, or the, recruiter from recruiting, otherwise the role would be useless; if there is a multiple recruiter group, then I would guess that blocking the recruiter who's doing the night action would work.
Yes. If Ecto is townside he could block a recruitment if he gets the right recruiter sending in the right recruitment. Just everyone please stop assuming that only one person could send in such a kill. This is why announcing who Ecto is going to kill and what the Froggies are going to I dunno..."frog".... is a bad idea, imho.
Um, Maryta got an innocent on him. That means he wasn't scum at the time she did the investigation, although he could have been recruited later that night.

And Ecto's been "going at me" for quite a long time now, Cicero. I think he was recruited last night because I think he was recruited last night.
See - this is exactly...EXACTLY... the problematic answer I am talking about. It presumes Mariyta is telling the truth AND isnt being adversely affected by recruitment AND that her investigation would catch a lost boy and not just recruits! Three assumptions that you simply cannot make!
On MOS and mislynches: Mislynch is better than no lynch because it confirms the identity of the dead.
So, say, just for the sake of argument, MOS gets vigged and it turns out he was town and telling the truth. What does that information tell us, exactally? Is that information useful enough to make it worth the loss of another townie? At this point, I really doubt it. Especally since a lynch could also confirm he is telling the truth about his role, which, in my opinion, would give us almost as much info but wouldn't cost us a townie.
Because I have never agreed that a one-time lynch immune CR was game breaking I cannot accept your logic here. If all the mods in the game want to line up behind you, I may reconsider. But early in the game we postulated a one day lynch immunity for a CR and no one said "boo".

I'm still waiting for the chorus. At the moment, most people oppose a MoS killing. Good enough for me. Adel and Laggs can do what they shall do. But Post-Peers I am all for giving people the benefit of the doubt about their powers. In this case it is you who is playing out-guess the mod.

Remember - if this was General discussion I'd know you were telling the truth. In here, for all I know, you are protecting your recruiter.

As I said, the first real outcry I've seen in this game is an outcry against killing MoS. Peers, Dybeck, Fonz... whoever else... they die they die. Not MoS.
What? Who's voting no lynch? I'm voting to lynch Pooky, who I think is likely to be the cult recruiter. What game are you playing?
It's a hypothetical. What if Pooky is town? Oh no!!! It's the same as if MoS turns out town. All I've said is IF people think MoS is scum, he should be vigged not lynched. Unlike you I dont agree that a one lynch immune Lost Boy breaks the game. And round and round we go. It was one of the mechanisms that was discussed as a reasonable way to STOP the game from being broken by a one day end with an end of Day one CR lynch. The other possible mechanism is that there is more than one recruiter.
Clammed up: Your posts are all defensive.
Um, no, not at all. I've had a lot of defensive posts recently, because you people keep attacking me and I'm at 6 votes. Geez, if someone was at 6 votes and they WEREN'T defending themselves, now THAT would be a scumtell. But I'm hardly JUST defending myself.

3 posts explaining my suspicions of Pooky
5 posts explaining my suspicions that Ecto was recruited
A post exploring a possible link between Ecto and Pooky
I've explained my suspicions of setael
Several posts disussing ideal vig stratagy
And a post explaining to Adel why IMHO killing Maryta is not a good idea

I've been far more active recently at real, useful scumhunting and discussing useful game stratagy then almost everyone else in this game. You could ignore every single one of my defensive posts and I'd STILL be one of the more active content providers in this game. So, no, you're still compeltly and entirely wrong at claiming I'm "not doing anything".
I appreciate that but the posture now seems defensive. Early Yos was aggressive. I see you doing some fingerpointing but these quote pyramid wars are reserved for defense. Nothing close to your Fonz exchanges with anyone. It is a posture change worth noting in a game with recruitment. Especially with a high value target like you.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3393 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:32 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

I'm finding myself agreeing more and more with Yos here. I guess I need to get one of those little signs.

I think Cicero (and Ecto to a degree) is making some rather narrow assumptions about the game without really acknowledging it. I certainly don't understand why anyone could honestly make the argument that the vigilantes shouldn't kill because they might be wrong. Of course they might be wrong - that's like saying we shouldn't lynch anyone because we might be wrong and you're strongly arguing against that with your case against lynching MoS. On that same point, you keep throwing around the no-lynch scenario with MoS saying that we're better off vigging him. That only assumes that he's not lying, which is what I've been saying I think he is. If you honestly think he's a townie, then there's no value in vigging him short of making him unavailable to the cult. Now according to your logic, I should be voting for Cicero because your logic isn't working for me. I wouldn't say that's a good reason. We're all working with some major assumptions here, which is why you should be challenging the assumptions if you disagree with them, not challenging the "logic". I also happen to think it's possible that the only guaranteed recruits are those who were recruited in the movie. That somewhat fits with the power roles theory, but not exactly.

Yos - I could go for a Pooky vote, but his claim has been holding me back. What do you think about the posts Ecto quoted and why are you not convinced by his claim?
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3394 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:35 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

HackerHuck, in my (and Cicero's opinion it seems), you and Yos are also making your own set of assumptions, and I find those assumptions to be less likely, or, you assume risk where we see no reason to do so.

HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3395 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:40 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

Ectomancer wrote:HackerHuck, in my (and Cicero's opinion it seems), you and Yos are also making your own set of assumptions, and I find those assumptions to be less likely, or, you assume risk where we see no reason to do so.
I totally agree, but my point was more that Cicero - and I think to some extent you - were not really acknowledging them as assumptions or pointing out potential holes in your plans.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #3396 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:49 pm

Post by cicero »

hackerhuck wrote:I think Cicero (and Ecto to a degree) is making some rather narrow assumptions about the game without really acknowledging it. I certainly don't understand why anyone could honestly make the argument that the vigilantes shouldn't kill because they might be wrong.

Isnt that Yosarian's argument?
that's like saying we shouldn't lynch anyone because we might be wrong and you're strongly arguing against that with your case against lynching MoS.
I'm saying if we decide to kill MoS use the method that will, ya know, kill MoS.
That only assumes that he's not lying, which is what I've been saying I think he is
I think he is telling the truth about his power and may be lying about his alignment.
If you honestly think he's a townie, then there's no value in vigging him short of making him unavailable to the cult.
I agree, and adamantly oppose vigging him for the purpose of making him unavailable to the cult.

For the record, I also could go for a Pooky lynch. I think he is scummier than Yosarian and he doesn't answer questions when I ask them.

Want proof?

Unvote Yosarian. Vote Pooky
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3397 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:55 pm

Post by Dasquian »

With Yos2 not buying into the STV (at least, he's not even acknowledged its existence as far as I can see) and 7 other players not even being around, I expect a deadline to be forthcoming. No doubt we'll then get a rush-lynch, which will be sooooo much better.

This town has a critical failure to do anything useful. All the mouth-flapping of the above page is the same old shite we've had for dozens of pages and frankly it's a waste of time. Here's the executive summary:
Everyone wrote:You don't know what the setup is! You are probably wrong! Also, I don't trust you.
Wooo.
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3398 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:06 am

Post by Ectomancer »

I've said something very significant that goes beyond setup speculation Dasquian. I think it is an important point. I'm getting people who are telling me that we shouldn't stop Vig's from Vigging. While that might be a valid statement if we
had
any Vigs, we don't.
What we have are 2 Masons with multiple abilities to choose from. That is a
far
cry from a simple Vig. Given that they can choose from either tracker
or
watcher, those 2 abilities provide us with solid information without the risk of offing a townie just to see that he was a townie. Look at the roles and see that there are very few people with reason to be out and about.
In addition, according to Mariyta, a kill is how our power roles can be converted. Do you really want to give the Froggies an opportunity to switch sides under the guise of a Vig? Let's say that they weren't targeted by the CR and the kill. We can't trust them anymore if it turns out that power roles indeed to get a choice and must kill.
It will make an easy argument for a real cult recruit to say "They killed MOS, they must have used that to switch sides", even if they didn't and get them lynched later in the game after we have gotten the CR and are looking for the recruits.
Why do that? Let's retain the potential to trust them. Let's use the abilities they have that make more sense to use. I dont care who they watch or track (or anything else) so long as they don't Vig anyone.

P.S. - This early in the game, we are far more likely to hit town than cult, thus tipping the scales even further against us. If you are dead set on allowing them to Vig, do it later when the percentage of randomly nailing a cult member will be much higher.

Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3399 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:07 am

Post by Ectomancer »

@Adel - I already announced my target. You'll have to harrass some non-STV participators if you want the target firmed up.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”