Sarcastric
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastric

Post Post #550 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:28 am

Post by Sarcastro »

Monkey wrote:
Vote: Sarcastro
cause leaving a vote on someone when you're not even finished reading just seems to open a window for you to say later, Oh I didn't know that so and so was that close to a lynch.
But he's not close to a lynch. And what exactly are you saying? That a bunch of people will vote for RW soon, lynching him, and then it'll be
my fault
that he was lynched? And then that I'll try to escape that responsibility by pointing out that I hadn't read the whole game yet? Yeah, because that makes perfect sense - I'll escape responsibility for something that wasn't my fault by explaining that I completely neglected my responsibility to
read the damn game
. Oh yeah, and what does reading
Day One
have to do with knowing how close (or far, in this case) someone is from being lynched?

Seriously, think through what you're saying.
[color=darkblue]If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.[/color]
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #551 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:30 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Unvote: RossWilliam, Vote: wolfcrier
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
al_kohaulec
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
Tricksy

Post Post #552 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:34 am

Post by al_kohaulec »

I'm pretty happy about Ross's explanation of himself. Thanks Jelly for the interrogation.
AIM account: DolusDeceit [s]not al_kohaulec[/s]
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #553 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:40 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

FoS: al_kohaulec

You are not the first person to "thank" me for something (I seem to recall Monkey "thanking" me for clearing up hasdgfas's post restriction), but your post seems more ingratiating than it needs to be.

I have noticed a trend (probably affected by experimenter's bias) that when an experienced player thanks another player for something run-of-the-mill (such as
playing mafia
), they are more likely to be scum.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #554 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:43 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Sarcastro wrote:
Battle Mage wrote:Much as it is the case that few people like or respect him, it is also the case that he is a fairly good player, and certainly puts effort into these games. I find it very hard to see him as scum atm, UNLESS he is bluffing Jester.
As expected as that (untrue) insult is, I'm rather pleasantly surprised by the rest of your statement. Thanks, BM.

I wish I were the Jester, but no, I'm not. You'd know if I were the Jester, though, because I would have won already.
Which reminds me. Is the Jester going to claim today?

BM
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
tyhess
tyhess
Goon
tyhess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #555 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:44 am

Post by tyhess »

I actaully don't think monkey's idea is to far fetched...all sacastro would have to do is keep his vote there and if something big turns up where the person he's voting for gets waggoned and lynched, he can bide his time and say that he wasn't done reading yet and effectively hammered one guy and contributed without giving info on another.
al_kohaulec
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
Tricksy

Post Post #556 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:27 pm

Post by al_kohaulec »

Battle Mage wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:
Battle Mage wrote:Much as it is the case that few people like or respect him, it is also the case that he is a fairly good player, and certainly puts effort into these games. I find it very hard to see him as scum atm, UNLESS he is bluffing Jester.
As expected as that (untrue) insult is, I'm rather pleasantly surprised by the rest of your statement. Thanks, BM.

I wish I were the Jester, but no, I'm not. You'd know if I were the Jester, though, because I would have won already.
Which reminds me. Is the Jester going to claim today?

BM
He should, it's the optimal day to.

Jelly, I has Ross marked down as being one of the scummiest players in my notes. I may have questioned him if I had the time, but I doubt I would have, and wouldn't have done it nearly as efficiently as you did. His answers to your questions gave me much better insight into his actions and gives me another perspective, allowing me to see how wrong I believe I was before.
RossWilliam
RossWilliam
Goon
RossWilliam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #557 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:24 pm

Post by RossWilliam »

I'm going to california for an international colorguard competition, and I'm leaving tomorrow. I'm going to bring my laptop to the hotel i'm staying in, but there's no guarentee it'll have internet access there. So if all goes well, I'll keep posting regularly, but if I have bad luck you won't see me til sunday. I'm crossing my fingers for a good hotel, but who knows, colorguards are skimpy.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #558 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:36 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

al_kohaulec wrote:Jelly, I has Ross marked down as being one of the scummiest players in my notes.
Oh? So:

1.)
You have notes
2.)
You have a list of "scummy players"; and
3.)
Ross was on that list, but was not the scummiest

I'm interested. Who are the other scummy players in your notes? Since you claim to have notes, I also expect a few reasons.
Monkey
Monkey
Townie
Monkey
Townie
Townie

Post Post #559 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Post by Monkey »

Battle Mage wrote:
Monkey, are you an alt?
if so, do you have a meta on Sarc?
Much as it is the case that few people like or respect him, it is also the case that he is a fairly good player, and certainly puts effort into these games.
I find it very hard to see him as scum atm, UNLESS he is bluffing Jester.

BM
Yes
Nope, never played with the guy or at least I don't recall.
What does being a good player have to do with my opinion on sarcastro's actions? I don't care if it was mith, I'd act much the same.
That's your opinion which you're entitled to, however it's not fact and I don't have to follow with your reasoning. We're all here trying to present a case, aren't we?
Sarcastro wrote:
But he's not close to a lynch. And what exactly are you saying? That a bunch of people will vote for RW soon, lynching him, and then it'll be
my fault
that he was lynched?
And then that I'll try to escape that responsibility by pointing out that I hadn't read the whole game yet? Yeah, because that makes perfect sense - I'll escape responsibility for something that wasn't my fault by explaining that I completely neglected my responsibility to
read the damn game
Oh yeah, and what does reading
Day One
have to do with knowing how close (or far, in this case) someone is from being lynched?

Seriously, think through what you're saying.
I don't think that'll be your fault the lynch goes through, I do think that you'll retract any attention towards you though that states you may be scum for being on the wagon. I'm confused how a player can make a vote on a player when they haven't even read the game yet ...

I don't know if you'd escape responsibility or not, but I think it's an easy defense that you could use.

It doesn't have anything to do with knowing how close someone is from being lynched. It's being lazy and not reading the
damn
game which is the point I was trying to raise to begin with. I don't find it pro-town like for a player to vote someone just for the hell of it, it's being lazy. You have time to read all of these new posts, yet you can't take the time to analyze the rest of the game?

And before you ask, yes I think that being lazy is scummy behavior, especially in your case by just following another player's vote just cause you can. I did not place my vote based on my worrying of RW being quick lynched, I'd just like to see some reasoning behind is all (personal preference), I mean we're not in day 1 anymore randomly voting people.
petroleumjelly wrote:I have noticed a trend (probably affected by experimenter's bias) that when an experienced player thanks another player for something run-of-the-mill (such as
playing mafia
), they are more likely to be scum.
Did you know that I was experienced before this post? Even with experience aside, it was just a compliment, what you consider to be just playing mafia may not be just playing mafia to others. I just was complimenting you on something that I felt I should've taken more notice to, but didn't. Not looking for forgiveness here, just stating my side of it.
Monkey
Monkey
Townie
Monkey
Townie
Townie

Post Post #560 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:57 pm

Post by Monkey »

Oh and Battle Mage, as someone once said on this site ...
why not let the votee take care of himself?
al_kohaulec
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
Tricksy

Post Post #561 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:32 pm

Post by al_kohaulec »

petroleumjelly wrote:
al_kohaulec wrote:Jelly, I has Ross marked down as being one of the scummiest players in my notes.
Oh? So:

1.)
You have notes
2.)
You have a list of "scummy players"; and
3.)
Ross was on that list, but was not the scummiest

I'm interested. Who are the other scummy players in your notes? Since you claim to have notes, I also expect a few reasons.
I always keep notes on games. They used to be elaborate, but in the past year or so, they've been plummeting in quality.

My list of scummy players is small. There's been a lot of suspicion on Monkey, but you might be surprised to hear i only have one note on him, and it's in his favor. He refused to vote simply because mith wanted everybody to place a vote by the first week. He wanted to be more informed of his actions and not act hastily.

My notes say I'm at the top of page 16 on rereading this thread (skimming), and I have two living suspects currently. While they were alive, GS and mith were on that list. I even remember voicing that I had some suspicions on mith's behavior, but wasn't too sure how much of that was because of the jester ploy.

My two remaining suspects are BM and MeMe. I did not list any notes on BM yet, but I simply have him color coded as scummy. MeMe, I haven't noticed her as being very active, almost seeming to post without posting. I haven't been impressed with her play. There are possible excuses for it, but generally her play hasn't seemed as strong as MeMe's play typically should be IMO.

I don't believe I ever made mention of Ross as scummiest or least scummiest. Also, I believe after hearing Ross's explanation,

Unvote
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #562 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:21 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

al_kohaulec wrote:I don't believe I ever made mention of Ross as scummiest or least scummiest.
Please explain these two quotes in more detail, I am not sure I follow you.
Monkey wrote:Did you know that I was experienced before this post? Even with experience aside, it was just a compliment, what you consider to be just playing mafia may not be just playing mafia to others. I just was complimenting you on something that I felt I should've taken more notice to, but didn't. Not looking for forgiveness here, just stating my side of it.
No, I had no such knowledge. This was why I FoS'd al_kohaulec, but not you - but in my post, I needed to acknowledge that I was not just arbitrarily applying a rule to al_kohaulec when there was at least one other player (that I could recall) who thanked me for something I do not consider especially thankworthy. I know when I first started playing, I would thank people for posting all the time - that has since seemed to be drained my system (at least to my knowledge).

That said,
FoS: Monkey
. :wink: I can understand a townsperson being thankful that other people are bothering to do stuff, but (at least in my book) a townsperson is more likely to make something
of
instead of giving those people pats on the head and a dog treat.

I can recall two games off the top of my head where experienced players have thanked others for things which really don't need thanks for (and I believe I have mentioned these same two posts in other games).

1.)
Arafax-scum in Ye Olde Porte Towne. I will note that comments like "thanks for answering my questions" (which I use as town in that same game) does not apply, since the relationship between the thanker and the thankee are by no means the same. [To explain more fully, I was interrogating a particular player very harshly, so there was no way I could have been trying to 'buddy' up with them].

2.)
LoudmouthLee-scum in Newbie #124. I know this isn't strictly a "thank you" post, but the post is basically saying "thanks everybody for being active and academic".

I know I have seen more instances where my rule tends to hold, but these examples should show the 'feeling' I am referring to; both comments just seemed unnecessary, the purpose of which was to get into the good graces of particular players (whether it be the town as a whole, a select few members of the town, or a particular player). I simply got the same type of vibe from al_ko's post.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #563 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:30 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Ross:

Would you mind doing a comparison between this post made by DeBlaze-scum in Newbie #505 which I have just recently read with your own Post 547? Do you find any relevant differences? If so, please elaborate.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #564 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:28 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

THANK YOU JELLY FOR HONORING US WITH YOUR MOST WONDERFUL PRESENCE.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #565 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:47 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Any particular reason you did that, Pooks? Were you trying to undermine my commentary?

I am getting tired of posts which are basically wastes of space. This game is difficult enough already to read given the argument about whether or not the jester should claim, the last thing we need are useless posts like that.

Who do you think is scum? Why?
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #566 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:35 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

throwing my 2 cents out there. I am finding Ross's play quite scummy, however, it seems to be obviously so. Which leads me to believe that he is either a newbie (scum or town) or the jester. That is why I have not placed my vote as of yet on him(still undecided).

Not sure why Monkey has votes on him, I am assuming for pressure sake.

I have only played with Sarc once, but there is nothing here (yet) that suggests he is playing any differently. Cant discuss the other game because it is still ongoing, but I will say that his play here (as a reflection of that game) does not warrant my vote at this point.

What DOES stand out to me is this...
al_kohaulec wrote: Jelly, I has Ross marked down as being one of the scummiest players in my notes. I may have questioned him if I had the time, but I doubt I would have, and wouldn't have done it nearly as efficiently as you did. His answers to your questions gave me much better insight into his actions and gives me another perspective, allowing me to see how wrong I believe I was before.
what notes? when did Ross make it into your notes as being one of the scummiest players?

then you get a little pressure (not even, more like a question or two) you unvote and post following:
al_kohaulec wrote: I always keep notes on games. They used to be elaborate, but in the past year or so, they've been plummeting in quality.

My list of scummy players is small. There's been a lot of suspicion on Monkey, but you might be surprised to hear i only have one note on him, and it's in his favor. He refused to vote simply because mith wanted everybody to place a vote by the first week. He wanted to be more informed of his actions and not act hastily.

My notes say I'm at the top of page 16 on rereading this thread (skimming), and I have two living suspects currently. While they were alive, GS and mith were on that list. I even remember voicing that I had some suspicions on mith's behavior, but wasn't too sure how much of that was because of the jester ploy.

My two remaining suspects are BM and MeMe. I did not list any notes on BM yet, but I simply have him color coded as scummy. MeMe, I haven't noticed her as being very active, almost seeming to post without posting. I haven't been impressed with her play. There are possible excuses for it, but generally her play hasn't seemed as strong as MeMe's play typically should be IMO.

I don't believe I ever made mention of Ross as scummiest or least scummiest. Also, I believe after hearing Ross's explanation,

Unvote
so after yesterday, your scum list is Ross, BM, Monkey, and Meme? Or is Ross now off your list? If so what about Ross's reply made you suddenly change your mind? Something about this post does not seem geniune to me.
FoS al_kohaulec
. this would be a vote right now, if PJ hadnt asked you about these "notes". Question, how confident are you in your notes usually (for I assume you take them in every game)?...how confident are you in your notes Day 2 in this game?

Also why didnt you unvote once Ross replied, why did you wait to unvote AFTER PJ questioned you about your notes?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #567 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:40 am

Post by MeMe »

Monkey wrote:Oh and Battle Mage, as someone once said on this site ...
why not let the votee take care of himself?
Hey! That was me!

al_ko -- your "play hasn't seemed as strong..." comment is not supported by the facts of my recent participation in any game. I don't lurk, but neither do I feel the need to be "miss prolific." If something needs to be said & it hasn't been said yet, I'll say it.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #568 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:47 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

I did it because I felt a deep and compelling appreciation for your most blessed presence this game.

And cuz I wubs ya.

MeMe feels quieter den I remembers.

*Suspicious Stare*
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #569 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:42 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Monkey wrote:
Battle Mage wrote:
Monkey, are you an alt?
if so, do you have a meta on Sarc?
Much as it is the case that few people like or respect him, it is also the case that he is a fairly good player, and certainly puts effort into these games.
I find it very hard to see him as scum atm, UNLESS he is bluffing Jester.

BM
Yes
An alt of who?
Monkey wrote:
What does being a good player have to do with my opinion on sarcastro's actions? I don't care if it was mith, I'd act much the same.
I'll give you a hint. If Sarcastro is a good player, and he is scum, do you really think he will intentionally act as scummy as possible, UNLESS he is trying to come across as the Jester?
Monkey wrote:
That's your opinion which you're entitled to, however it's not fact and I don't have to follow with your reasoning. We're all here trying to present a case, aren't we?
So you think he is just a really shite mafioso who wants to get lynched???
Dont give me that bull. If you think he is scum, at least come up with a credible motive for his play, instead of defensively disagreeing with everything i have said, as if its merely my opinion, and not basic fact. :x

I dont understand what you mean by that quote from MeMe. Please feel free to explain.

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #570 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:47 am

Post by Battle Mage »

al_kohaulec wrote: My two remaining suspects are BM and MeMe. I did not list any notes on BM yet, but I simply have him color coded as scummy. MeMe, I haven't noticed her as being very active, almost seeming to post without posting. I haven't been impressed with her play. There are possible excuses for it, but generally her play hasn't seemed as strong as MeMe's play typically should be IMO.
Wait, so your two top suspects are:

1. Battle Mage
Reasoning: No real reasoning, but at some point he gave me a scummy vibe.
2. MeMe
Reasoning: She hasnt nailed scum yet, or been posting prolifically.

This is below par from you AlKo. And yeh, i see you bailing from the wagon on your buddy! And i trust CKD's judgement too. :)

HoS: AlKo

Im happy with a Ross or AlKo lynch atm. And probably others i cant remember.

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

wolfcrier
wolfcrier
Townie
wolfcrier
Townie
Townie

Post Post #571 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:58 am

Post by wolfcrier »

It would be nice if some people could answer my questions
~The line between me and the enemy is indistiguinshable~
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #572 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:09 am

Post by hasdgfas »

which questions?
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #573 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:17 am

Post by Battle Mage »

he asked some questions a few pages back, but i think they were directed to Pooky...

Odd.

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Battle Mage
Battle Mage