Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:29 am

Post by Battle Mage »

PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:How does the Jester win if the town knows who he is?
eh? After Day 1, there is little the town can do to stop him (excluding a potential Vig).

As for your subsequent validation, i'm still confused. You seem to be picking holes in YOUR OWN ARGUMENT. If the claimed Jester has to make the town lose in order to win, then why do we want him alive and claimed? Equally, why the hell would we want him around in the first place? The rules state that if the Jester meets his win condition, he wins and the rest of us fight for second place. Now, im not as experienced as alot of people here, but i did participate in JESTER MAFIA, and in that game i was scum, and the Jester met his win condition, meaning even by beating the town in awesome fashion, we only got 2nd place. Im not going to argue over the mentalities of players here, but speaking personally, id rather eliminate 1 anti-town force today if possible, and if the Jester claims, i'm going to want to run him up. I doubt im the only one, and from the Jesters perspective, i can see why he would wait till tomorrow to claim.

BM

*dont ask me why im even bothering arguing this in defence of the Jester. I just HATE lies stated as fact. :roll:
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:13 am

Post by mith »

Once again, the Jester claiming helps the Jester AND the Jester claiming helps the Town. There is no contradiction here, because there is a third side: the Jester claiming hurts the Mafia. Having someone we know to be not-Mafia helps us in our Mafia hunting, obviously.

The Jester needs to claim
ASAP
, because with every post that passes, there is more and more chance that the scum will realize that the Jester is unsure or a moron, and will jump in with a fake claim. A fake claim from the Mafia would absolutely devestate the plan.

Battle Mage, you haven't actually said whether or not you are the Jester - only that you weren't claiming to be. So, as with GS, I will ask you directly: Are you the Jester?

In other news, there are still 8 players not voting at all, and I would guess that at least a couple of the other votes are random (too lazy to check). We are now five realtime days into Day 1, and I once against strongly suggest that
everyone make a non-random vote by the time we hit the one rt week mark
. I will be looking closely at anyone who posts before then but doesn't vote.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:17 am

Post by Battle Mage »

mith wrote:Once again, the Jester claiming helps the Jester AND the Jester claiming helps the Town. There is no contradiction here, because there is a third side: the Jester claiming hurts the Mafia. Having someone we know to be not-Mafia helps us in our Mafia hunting, obviously.

ASAP
, because with every post that passes, there is more and more chance that the scum will realize that the Jester is unsure or a moron, and will jump in with a fake claim. A fake claim from the Mafia would absolutely devestate the plan.

Battle Mage, you haven't actually said whether or not you are the Jester - only that you weren't claiming to be. So, as with GS, I will ask you directly: Are you the Jester?

In other news, there are still 8 players not voting at all, and I would guess that at least a couple of the other votes are random (too lazy to check). We are now five realtime days into Day 1, and I once against strongly suggest that
This is not in conjunction with Pooky's views, which is interesting. I'm pretty sure i've already answered that question Mith.

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

RossWilliam
RossWilliam
Goon
RossWilliam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:22 am

Post by RossWilliam »

then it wouldn't hurt you to do it again instead of being snide and making yourself look even more obnoxious, not to mention scummy
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:30 am

Post by mith »

Mine and Pooky's views are not at odds. We discussed this extensively at Thespival. We are merely presenting our views in different ways, to help convince the Jester. That the Jester hasn't claimed already strongly suggests the role is among the two who have not yet posted content at all, but having people confusing matters by posting things which are clearly not well thought out can't be helping, and leaves open the possibility that someone is misguided and isn't sure they should claim.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:35 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

OK i am going to explain this again,

The only way the Jester can win if he claims is if we make it to endgame.

This is because it is impossible for him to win before then since we have no incentive to lynch him.

Now at endgame, Jester wins because Mafia want to help him lynch himself to gurantee a win rather than losing to the town.

Basically the Jester moves us one day closer to endgame.

If we were to waste our day one lynch on the Jester, it would ALSO move us one day closer to endgame, it would have the exact same effect in terms of our status vis-a-vis the mafia as leaving him alive.

We do not gain ground on the Mafia by lynching Jester at any time, we can only gain ground on the Mafia by lynching Mafia. That's why it's in our best interests to try to lynch Mafia, that's why we wouldn't lynch the Jester.

Yes the Jester has to make us lose in order to win, but by the time it's in his power to make us win, it's already too late for us. Basically if the Jester can make us lose, then going back in time and lynching him on day one would do nothing for the town, because we would STILL lose if we had lynched the Jester.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:42 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Pooky you forget one thing. Lynching the Jester Day 1 and lynching him at endgame are different in that by lynching him on Day 1, we dont end up coming absolute last.

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:43 am

last is last, there's no difference how we lose.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

-Norwee
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:44 am

Now you are just being pedantic and nitpicking.

It's annoying and generally stupid.

Stop it. I don't care if I come in dead last or tied for last with the Jester.

A loss is a loss.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:47 am

Post by Battle Mage »

RossWilliam wrote:then it wouldn't hurt you to do it again instead of being snide and making yourself look even more obnoxious, not to mention scummy
And to think, i was trying so hard to be polite, and avoid getting into a flame war. :cry:
Fyi, theres a difference between being snide and not wanting to repeat yourself over and over again, especially if something is rather complicated to explain.

Anyway, you can bandy about personal insults all you like, but if you call someone scummy on this site, its generally accepted that you should give some reasoning. As long as you have more of a case than 'he argued with Mith' 'he doesnt see the logic behind the jester claiming' and 'i dont like him', im sure everyone will be very happy to hear it.

BM

@Pooky- i didnt want to get into an argument like this... -.-
Simply put, id rather finish 2nd than 3rd.

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:48 am

there is no 2nd. Loss is a Loss.

I'm not wasting a lynch just to make sure one person loses, you're the only one in this game that feels this way about it BM.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:56 am

Post by Battle Mage »

PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:there is no 2nd. Loss is a Loss.

I'm not wasting a lynch just to make sure one person loses, you're the only one in this game that feels this way about it BM.
I wouldnt count on that, but even if it is the case, im going to stick by my personal targets for the game. You do what you like, but i'd strongly reccommend reading the rules either way lol.

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Captain Bandwagon
Captain Bandwagon
Townie
Captain Bandwagon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 pm

Post by Captain Bandwagon »

Battle Mage wrote:Pooky made a case?
I'm surprised you've been around this long and you still don't know a case when you see one.
Battle Mage wrote:One of the main characteristics (good or bad) about me is that i tend to stick to my instincts even in the face of every other player saying im wrong.
And when your instincts are wrong? You can't play this game on instincts alone. You have to base your judgments and decisions on logic.
PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:Actually I've decided that it's dumb to do back and forth with you because we're moving closer to the deadline and we need the Jester to understand that my case is ironclad.

The only way the Jester wins is by making the Town Lose in the endgame if he has been revealed.

Basically the Jester effectively moves the town one day closer to the endgame if he claims and survives till then.

However LYNCHING the jester does EXACTLY the same thing as not lynching him. By lynching him, we are ALSO moving the game one day closer to the endgame, which is the same thing we do if we leave him alive.

EXCEPT WHEN WE LEAVE HIM ALIVE, WE HAVE A CHANCE OF LYNCHING MAFIA, WHEREAS IF WE LYNCH HIM WE HAVE NO CHANCE OF LYNCHING MAFIA.

So yea, I'd guess keeping him alive is the town's best play.
In
bold
is the heart of the argument. We don't want to waste time lynching non-scum.
Battle Mage wrote:*dont ask me why im even bothering arguing this in defence of the Jester. I just HATE lies stated as fact. :roll:
I wonder how you play as scum, then. Do you go out announcing to everyone "Hey, guess what? I hate lies, so I'm scum"?

BM, why don't you just give us a clear, non-ambiguous reply to mith in #276? You're emitting a plethora of scum-confusion tactics from your miserable, obnoxious self. Do you like being unpopular? Does it make you feel better to have a bad reputation on MS as being one of the most unfun players to play with?

Pooky's post #280 should leave
no doubt
for the jester to claim. At this point, an unclaimed jester is a
bad
jester.
Battle Mage wrote:And to think, i was trying so hard to be polite, and avoid getting into a flame war. :cry:
Lies. I know what's going on in the minds of attention-seeking players like you. You act as a detriment to the town in every game you play, regardless of your role. It's a playstyle that's hard to read, but it's also a playstyle that isn't enjoyable to participate with. Do you like having fun at the expense of other people? If yes, what does that make you? Why bother pulling a Slayer's Gambit? It's not a good way of catching scum and it only serves to confuse the town even further.

Conclusion: I know what the B in BM stands for. Bad play. Unless he's deliberately being anti-town, in which case we should lynch him as soon as possible.

@the jester: if you're worried about getting lynched D1 after your claim, there's no chance of that happening. We're not horrible players who only seek to make one person lose. I'm sure the town would rather have a higher chance of finishing second place instead of a much lower chance of winning it outright. Here's how your not claiming hurts the town:

1. It gives scum the opportunity to claim jester, which is incredibly detrimental to us.

2. It creates confusion among the town. We already start out with hardly any information as it is.

3. A late jester claim, as elaborated on by Pooky and mith, can be devastating for the town in the end-game.

If you just claim now, all those problems will go away, and we can turn our attention to catching scum instead of wasting our time on figuring out who the jester is.
[i]"... give us this day, our daily bandwagon, and forgive us our trespasses, as we bandwagon those who trespass against us..."[/i]

- Excerpt from The Bandwagoner's Prayer
Captain Bandwagon
Captain Bandwagon
Townie
Captain Bandwagon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:08 pm

Post by Captain Bandwagon »

EBWOP

@BM: Elaborate on #277. Explain to us how you think mith's and Pooky's views differ.
[i]"... give us this day, our daily bandwagon, and forgive us our trespasses, as we bandwagon those who trespass against us..."[/i]

- Excerpt from The Bandwagoner's Prayer
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Post by Talitha »

I am responding to my prod, I hope I'm in time. I am sorry. I was travelling for 48 hours straight, didn't sleep. Am now at my destination, will do my best to catch up soon.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:17 pm

Post by Talitha »

PS: No jester claim yet? Inconceivable!
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:19 pm

This jester is the worst jester ever.

2nd worst jester not half as bad.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

BM disagrees. :roll:
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:13 pm

Post by MeMe »

Any word from Dark Ermac?
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Dani Banani
Dani Banani
Townie
Dani Banani
Townie
Townie

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 pm

Post by Dani Banani »

just checking in... sorry i haven't posted recently, but my weekend got crazy quick... short story, i'm recently working 2 jobs... still trying to figure out time for myself... i'll do a re-read Tues. or Wed... Thurs. at the latest...
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:33 am

Post by Thesp »

Official Vote Count

Note:
Cult of the Couch Members:
1 (tyhess)

Greasy Spot - 8
(curiouskarmadog, mith, PookyTheMagicalBear, Captain Bandwagon,
Cult of the Couch (1)
, Iammars, Mastermind of Sin, wolfcrier)
mith - 1
(Greasy Spot)
Mastermind of Sin - 2
(Dani Banani, QuickBen)
Iammars - 1
(hasdgfas)
Dani Banani - 2
(Battle Mage, MeMe)

Not Voting - 7
(al_kohaulec, Dark Ermac, Fletcher, RossWilliam, Talitha, petroleumjelly, Holy)

With 21 alive, it's 11 to lynch.

Dark Ermac will be replaced. Thanks.
Last edited by Thesp on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:36 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

RossWilliam wrote:then it wouldn't hurt you to do it again instead of being snide and making yourself look even more obnoxious, not to mention scummy
this little post stuck out to me, BM has already answered the question...why would it make him more scummy if he doesnt answer it again? Seems like you just wanted a reason to say something and look town here. please explain.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Greasy Spot
Greasy Spot
Goon
Greasy Spot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:36 am

Post by Greasy Spot »

PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:there is no 2nd. Loss is a Loss.

This is exactly what I posted @ #98 and got blasted for. If no one wants to lose then the Jester should realize if they claim then everybody will lynch them so they will have a chance at first place.
Greasy Spot
Greasy Spot
Goon
Greasy Spot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:38 am

Post by Greasy Spot »

wolfcrier wrote:ok my bad the post started blending together and it was GREASY SPOT who is being hypocritical and illogical therefore
Vote: Greasy Spot
Please explain how I am being hypocritical? Do you even know what it means?
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:40 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

Battle Mage wrote:
mith wrote:Once again, the Jester claiming helps the Jester AND the Jester claiming helps the Town. There is no contradiction here, because there is a third side: the Jester claiming hurts the Mafia. Having someone we know to be not-Mafia helps us in our Mafia hunting, obviously.

ASAP

This is not in conjunction with Pooky's views, which is interesting. I'm pretty sure i've already answered that question Mith.

BM
BM, repeat after me. Don't evade me with some bullshit protest of having already done this, just do it:

"I am NOT the jester."
Permanent V/LA.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”