Newbie 509 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Mispeled
Mispeled
Goon
Mispeled
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:22 am

Post by Mispeled »

...and Spurgistan and Tenybrys continue to lurk in plain sight.

Vote: Spurgistan

FOS: Tenybrys
Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:26 am

Post by Rishi »

And cepi and Tenebrys continue to not have avatars.
Taking a break from MS. Please send e-mail if you want to get in touch with me.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:32 am

Post by Xylthixlm »

UNOFFICIAL Vote Count
, powered by The Count-Counter 2000

spurgistan- 2 (Dean Harper, Mispeled)
Xylthixlm- 1 (cepi)
Dean Harper- 1 (spurgistan)

Not voting (3): Tenebrys, Xylthixlm, Rishi

4 to lynch.
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
cepi
cepi
Townie
cepi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:34 pm

Post by cepi »

Rishi wrote:And cepi and Tenebrys continue to not have avatars.
lol, I thought I could be the "I dont have avatar" guy, but dont worry. Ill look for one ASAP.
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:01 pm

Post by spurgistan »

Glad Dean got out of range, I think he's scumhunting very aggressively for a first-time player, hate to see him get lynched for that. Broad-brush
FoS
on everybody who voted him, especially Xylthim. Still can't spell that. Xylthixlm. There you go.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

lol, Xyl works for me :)
"If you say live together, die alone to me Jack, I'm gonna punch you in your face."

-- Rose Nadler, 'Through the Looking Glass' (Lost)
cepi
cepi
Townie
cepi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:12 pm

Post by cepi »

Dean Harper wrote:lol, Xyl works for me :)
Well, thats because we are newbies. It was working for me too but all this L-1 thing makes me wonder. Ill keep my vote on him but now he seems less scummy. Depends on his next post.

BTW, liking my dog, there?
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Post by spurgistan »

Adds a nice touch. And I don't have anything against Xyl in general, actually, and quicklynches are something of a staple of IRC games, in my past experience, so putting somebody at L-1 50 posts in wouldn't be all that unusual to him - it's just something that draws attention to him in this game, since we like to take things slower.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:19 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

hmmm, im kinda more suspicious of Xyl now, because as soon as Rishi unvoted me, you followed suit, and im worried it might be because you wanted to take suspicion off of yourself, a valid scummy move in my opinion. though, it might also just be because there was still 2 votes on me and you didnt want the mafia to be able to lynch me by a coordinated vote. but then again, this last statement might be false because if there was a coordinated effort to get me lynched, especially by someone that hasnt been criticizing me (almost everyone besides you), it would quickly reveal who the most possible suspects for scum might be... not to mention you only unvoted after Cepi made his arguments that you were suspicious because you are possibly an IC, wanting to put someone at -1 so an inexperienced scum might come and lynch me outright. That also, is a slightly contradictory statement though, because from what ive seen, your pretty smart, and you might have thought about that if you -1'd me and i got lynched, youd be suspicious because you were involved. (assuming that you are a townie)

Of course, Rishi also could be a suspect, since he was the first to unvote for me... not wanting to be the -1 vote and possibly putting suspicion on himself...

personally:

FNOS: Xyl and Rishi
"If you say live together, die alone to me Jack, I'm gonna punch you in your face."

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:20 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

EBWOP:

but then again, you both might just be looking out for the town, not wanting to lynch early.

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:21 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

very nice dog Cepi, but what i meant by "Xyl works for me" was that his name is nice shortened to Xyl instead of Xylslfjalsdjaslfdjls... or whatever it is :D

Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:47 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

spurgistan wrote:Adds a nice touch. And I don't have anything against Xyl in general, actually, and quicklynches are something of a staple of IRC games, in my past experience, so putting somebody at L-1 50 posts in wouldn't be all that unusual to him - it's just something that draws attention to him in this game, since we like to take things slower.
I find just waiting around waiting for someone to do something scummy boring. Pushing a bandwagon hard generates a lot of information - both on how the target reacts to it, and how other people react to it. I wasn't expecting a lynch this early, although for a while there I wouldn't have objected to one...
Dean Harper wrote:hmmm, im kinda more suspicious of Xyl now, because as soon as Rishi unvoted me, you followed suit, and im worried it might be because you wanted to take suspicion off of yourself, a valid scummy move in my opinion. though, it might also just be because there was still 2 votes on me and you didnt want the mafia to be able to lynch me by a coordinated vote. but then again, this last statement might be false because if there was a coordinated effort to get me lynched, especially by someone that hasnt been criticizing me (almost everyone besides you), it would quickly reveal who the most possible suspects for scum might be... not to mention you only unvoted after Cepi made his arguments that you were suspicious because you are possibly an IC, wanting to put someone at -1 so an inexperienced scum might come and lynch me outright. That also, is a slightly contradictory statement though, because from what ive seen, your pretty smart, and you might have thought about that if you -1'd me and i got lynched, youd be suspicious because you were involved. (assuming that you are a townie)

Of course, Rishi also could be a suspect, since he was the first to unvote for me... not wanting to be the -1 vote and possibly putting suspicion on himself...

personally:

FNOS: Xyl and Rishi
I find this post almost impossible to read. Try breaking your posts into paragraphs, and generally writing as if you cared what people reading it think.

I unvoted you because I did an overall reread of your posts for attitude. While you've done some particularly scummy things, your overall style seems more like a hyperaggressive protown newbie than a hyperaggressive scum newbie. Your next few posts after my vote, in particular, changed my mind. It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Rishi unvoted - although the fact that he did gives me a slight protown vibe on him.

I don't think it's worth overanalyzing the votes this early. They generate a very nice record for day 2, once we've lynched someone and know whether they were town or scum, but right now there are too many possible explanations. Personally, I don't look for strong individual scum tells so much as I look at whether people are acting generally protown or not.

I just found the "Display all posts by" button. Wow, that's neat. Tenebrys has made only three posts, with barely any content between them? And no one is voting him? I didn't even notice he was lurking that severely.
Vote: Tenebrys
until he contributes.

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:44 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

lol, i explained that in the post, but anyway, i was saying that it is possible in a few scenarios, that you may have been unvoting bc you didnt want to seem scummy, but maybe not, thats basically all i said, but you might wanna try to read if you havent, cuz theres some other stuff there too.

Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:01 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Wow. An entire post as one run-on sentence.

I did, in fact, read your entire previous post. I think. Trying to decipher your text hurts my brain, so I may have unconsciously skipped some parts.

Tenebrys
Tenebrys
Townie
Tenebrys
Townie
Townie

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 am

Post by Tenebrys »

Oh, hi. Yeah, it's me, yeah, I've been reading the thread... and no, I haven't been contributing much. Been busy these days with stuff *cough* just got WoW *coughgettinglynchedforsayingthataren'tI* so I haven't had much time for dedicated thought about the situation going on here.

Yes, I'll get an icon soon. Don't worry.

Xyl appears to have been most active so far, and shows a good deal of experience in his analyses -- if a bit of aggression too. I'm not going to vote on him, though he'll get a big, big FOS if he doesn't die this next night (though that's just me trying to look at it from the newbie scum perspective, e.g. try and get rid of the most experienced ones first so the rest of the boys won't have a guiding voice)

Dean, well. What he posts is a tad difficult to read, but from what I can get out of it, he seems to be making a pretty honest effort to help out. Though for the amount of suspicion he blows around it could just be an attempt to throw the others of us off the trail. That said, I'll hold off on throwing a vote on him on grounds of evidence I find myself, but I -will- bandwagon him if that starts again.

Spurgistan has a Captain Haddock avatar so I won't be hounding him without significant cause. That earned you at least one day of peace.

...wait.

[quote=Spurgistan]I think he's scumhunting very aggressively for a first-time player, hate to see him get lynched for that. Broad-brush FoS on everybody who voted him, especially Xylthim. Still can't spell that. Xylthixlm.[/quote]

That smells, though I wish I knew better how to describe why. The "aggressive newbie, let him have his fun" argument for not hanging Dean Harper is kinda messed up, especially in Dean's case. For all we know, you're just trying to defend him from the noose now.

I'd post more but it's a very late hour. See ya!
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:23 am

Post by Dean Harper »

if xyl was really trying to defend me from the noose, hed not have put me in -1, but i get your point.

Sorry if my post before is so hard to read, most of them are run-ons bc i wanted to get what i was thinking out before i forgot about it.

[QUOTE=Tenebrys]That smells, though I wish I knew better how to describe why. The "aggressive newbie, let him have his fun" argument for not hanging Dean Harper is kinda messed up, especially in Dean's case. For all we know, you're just trying to defend him from the noose now.[/QUOTE]

that is basically what i was trying to say in my post, except i was talking about how Xyl might be trying to keep himself out of the spotlight by de-1ing me.

I'd like to hear Risi's take on all of this, since youve only posted at the top of the page.

btw, Tene, i really WOULD like to lynch you for playing WoW, but i guess thats not really good ettiquite. :wink:

Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:37 am

Post by Rishi »

I go away for a day and the game explodes.

I will read all the new posts later today and put up a post with some actual content. Have to get some work done now.
Taking a break from MS. Please send e-mail if you want to get in touch with me.
Mispeled
Mispeled
Goon
Mispeled
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:59 am

Post by Mispeled »

unvote
since spurgistan is posting stuff directly relevant to the game now.

Though I also don't like the whole "shame on everyone who went after the annoying newbie" thing that a few other people have mentioned:
I think he's scumhunting very aggressively for a first-time player, hate to see him get lynched for that. Broad-brush FoS on everybody who voted him, especially Xylthim. Still can't spell that. Xylthixlm.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:32 am

Post by Xylthixlm »

Dean Harper wrote:if xyl was really trying to defend me from the noose, hed not have put me in -1, but i get your point.
I think Tenebrys meant that spurgistan is trying to defend you from the noose. I'm certainly not defending you, just backing off while I wait for the less active players to contribute.

As for whether spurgistan is defending you... well, I think if he really was he would have unvoted before you reached three votes; I find it odd that his early-game random vote stayed on as the bandwagon built steam.
Dean Harper wrote:Sorry if my post before is so hard to read, most of them are run-ons bc i wanted to get what i was thinking out before i forgot about it.
I strongly suggest hitting the "Preview" button, reading what you wrote, and then editing it into something at least semicoherent before posting it.
Dean Harper wrote:btw, Tene, i really WOULD like to lynch you for playing WoW, but i guess thats not really good ettiquite. :wink:
Am I the only person who finds "i WOULD like to lynch you :wink:" incredibly scummy? I've found that sort of joke to be a major scumtell in chat, but I don't know if it applies here...

spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:55 am

Post by spurgistan »

Well, it seems like every newbie game I'm in, we tag team an annoying newbie who turns out to be town (like me in Newbie 391 , and don't really get much out of it, because in the end, everybody agrees they would have lynched him. In retrospect, it looks weird that I kept my vote on DH while Fos-ing those who voted him; I didn't actually know it was still on him, seeing as how there haven't any official vote-counts. So, since I like what he's trying to do, if not the actions themselves,
Unvote
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:08 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

Xylthixlm wrote:
Am I the only person who finds "i WOULD like to lynch you :wink:" incredibly scummy? I've found that sort of joke to be a major scumtell in chat, but I don't know if it applies here...

you can call its scummy if you want, but a lot of people who play Guild Wars (myself and others i know) personally hate the playing experience in WoW, and like to show their hatred of that game in general.

cepi
cepi
Townie
cepi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:58 pm

Post by cepi »

Wow, I just left one day and look ma, we're almost in page 5! Basically, I feel a little confused. My only suspect, Xyl, has showed his interest and, strangely, he seems now, the most pro-town player here. I still dont like the L-1 thing at the beginning but for now Ill give u the benefit of doubt.

Unvote

And, Dean Harper u really need to break ur sentences. My head almost exploded when I read ur post.
<3
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:32 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

I will be gone for the next three days for Thanksgiving. I may or may not have internet access.

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:38 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

have a good one Xyl!

cepi
cepi
Townie
cepi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Post by cepi »

Happy Thanksgiving y'all. Ill be back within the next 48 hours.
<3

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”