Pokemon: GO

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:30 pm

Post by zoraster »

Yeah. Popping an egg earlier in levels is definitely the way to go as you'll double any and all pokemon additions (including the first time you do a pidgey). As you encounter more new stuff early on, you get more bonuses from that.

If Lucky Eggs provided a % of experience needed boost, then it'd be different. But as a flat boost, it's all in the early stages. Still, nothing you can do once you're already up in levels.
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Post by Zulfy »

And btw I ran out of pokeballs so I just lock my touchscreen and hatch eggs these days.

Sometimes I would land the ball in the middle and it would just roll away shooting confetti out its ass at me.
no investigation no right to speak
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Post by Brandi »

why is this even really a debate when you get 2 eggs at level 20 anyway? Use them early, and then use them late.

Unless the idea is to save ALL of your eggs until 2x, which seems silly. Though I don't think it's worth it to use them if you can't at least get close to their full potential. My first egg I wasted because I didn't do the math and only got 12 or so evolutions in. I still gained a ton of levels because I was out catching new pokemon and using pokestops, but with patience I could have gained more.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

At level 20+ you can get the coins for eggs
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Post by Claus »

So on my morning commute today, four or five gyms in the path to the university were taken by this guy with a level 33 account and a level 35 account (usernames were the same one with different suffixes). In each gym they left a ~3000CP Snorlax and a ~3000CP Dragonite.

The cynic in me wants to cry foul. I just lowered my head and hit the incense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:25 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

No they're definitely cheaters
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:36 pm

Post by zoraster »

How are they cheating?
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:56 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Bots or something, I doubt they're that level legitimately on two accounts
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:12 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

It's real easy to gps spoof and get easy Dragonite Snorlax Lapras etc and take over whatever gyms. Not sure exactly how but I'm sure it's easy to find via Google. Luckily no one near me has taken over gyms this way, the ones in downtown Raleigh are hard enough to battle as is.

Also I think if you really wanna min max with Lucky Eggs, you either buy a bunch and use them early for the new Pokemon bonus, or if you don't, then save them til post 20 (as leveling becomes slower AND it becomes harder to catch Pidgey Weedle Caterpie etc). It probably doesn't matter too much, especially if you're in an area with tons of Stops, gyms, Pokemon spawns, etc
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:57 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That's one of the reasons why there was such uproar against Pokevision getting taken down- people using that site but otherwise playing legitimately get punished, but the people who are gps spoofing and using bots to capture pokemon while they sleep are not getting punished.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Post by Psyche »

if you're using that site you aren't really playing legitimately
You can't step in the same river twice.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:42 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I feel like, given the lack of any sort of reasonable in-game tracking, it's acceptable cheating, at the worst. I'm still going out and actually walking to the pokemon, which is the essence of the game.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:18 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 431, Rhinox wrote:
In post 429, xRECKONERx wrote:save the egg leveling strat for after lvl 20 because you stop finding lucky eggs in the wild and uh the XP jumps DRAMATICALLY in terms of how much you need per level
eh... you're still getting the same XP from the lucky egg either way. In fact you're probably likely to get more xp the earlier you use them as you're more likely to be able to get the double xp on new pokedex entries the lower level you are.
Why are you finding pokemon during your Lucky Eggs?

Pop egg->Evolve Pidgey/Ratata/Doduo/Weedle over and over again for 30 minutes.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:20 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 454, Claus wrote:So on my morning commute today, four or five gyms in the path to the university were taken by this guy with a level 33 account and a level 35 account (usernames were the same one with different suffixes). In each gym they left a ~3000CP Snorlax and a ~3000CP Dragonite.

Yeah I'd report that. Niantic can look into it and decide if cheating.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:20 am

Post by BROseidon »

Niantic should talk to grindr about how to do geo-location based shit.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:29 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

In post 462, BROseidon wrote:Why are you finding pokemon during your Lucky Eggs?
From evolving. It takes less time to get a new pokedex entry than to evolve a pidgey, so you get the most out of your lucky egg by evolving some of your pokemon into new ones.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:32 am

Post by zoraster »

It'd be real cool if you could skip the evolve animation after the first time you do it.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:34 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 454, Claus wrote:So on my morning commute today, four or five gyms in the path to the university were taken by this guy with a level 33 account and a level 35 account (usernames were the same one with different suffixes). In each gym they left a ~3000CP Snorlax and a ~3000CP Dragonite.

That's funny, we saw something similar in a gym yesterday - two accounts with the same name (and sounded like it was based on the player's real name) but a different number at the end. I just assumed it's someone with two mobile phones I guess? In this case though I think the guy was actually there at the time, with a friend (on a differently named account), although I didn't ask to check it was him.
UpTooLate
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #468 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:37 am

Post by UpTooLate »

We have some guys that came up from Anchorage that are Instinct and obvious GPS spoofers. 3k plus dragonites taking gyms when there isn't anybody there. It's terrible.
Get to know me!
Take care of those you call your own, and keep good company.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #469 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:20 am

Post by Papa Zito »

The combination of blatant cheaters, lack of tracking, and sudden weirdly increased difficulty is putting a serious damper on people's enthusiasm for the game.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
UpTooLate
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #470 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:31 am

Post by UpTooLate »

Yup. It's becoming more frustrating than it's worth.
Get to know me!
Take care of those you call your own, and keep good company.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #471 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:34 am

Post by zoraster »

I also think a lack of depth. As my participation in the game grows, the depth actually gets shallower. Whereas in the first week or so I'd regularly come across a new pokemon and get excited about that, not to mention lots of OTHER people engaging in that excitement, now I basically wait to see if an egg will give me something new and collect pidgeys.... because frankly a pidgey is worth 2-4 times more to me than other pokemon who I've discovered simply because I can evolve them that much faster.

There's just not much to do that doesn't seem repetitive. And of course gyms suffer from two problems: first, their combat is repetitive. second, there's not a very good system in place for competing with people with far stronger pokemon. If you could team up or something to take down a 2500 CP Snorlax it'd be one thing. But having to win solo is a very frustrating system.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #472 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:51 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 471, zoraster wrote:If you could team up or something to take down a 2500 CP Snorlax it'd be one thing. But having to win solo is a very frustrating system.
You do know that you
can
team up, right? When you say 'having to win solo' do you just mean because you don't have anyone to play with?

~~~

I still find there is plenty of depth to gyms. Planning our daily gym raid, we have to consider the different gyms in the area and their turnover rate - e.g. the one by the tramstop usually changes hands every 5-20 minutes, whereas the Navy club can hold for up to a day. Ideally we want to start at the steadier gyms and do more volatile gyms just before claiming. Also identifying which gyms are worthwhile for our time and resources. It's usually far quicker to take an enemy gym than to add to our own team's gym, if we don't have a good type advantage to building up prestige.

We've also developed a system in order to make the best use of potions. We have a group of attack pokemon (mostly electric and water types) for attacking enemy gyms, and these only ever get given revives. This is probably made easier since there are two of us battling together, but even solo, since you can chuck a whole team at an enemy gym, it's often okay if you go in at half health. We have some trash pokemon that we're planning to transfer anyway, and we can stick these in the final gym, because we don't need to hold it. And then we have the high level defence pokemon, these are the only ones that get potions.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #473 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:53 am

Post by zoraster »

If I can take on a single individual pokemon to take them out at the same time as someone else tries, I have not gotten it to work.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #474 (ISO) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:54 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 448, Glork wrote:
In post 439, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 431, Rhinox wrote:
In post 429, xRECKONERx wrote:save the egg leveling strat for after lvl 20 because you stop finding lucky eggs in the wild and uh the XP jumps DRAMATICALLY in terms of how much you need per level
eh... you're still getting the same XP from the lucky egg either way. In fact you're probably likely to get more xp the earlier you use them as you're more likely to be able to get the double xp on new pokedex entries the lower level you are.
yes but leveling becomes much slower later whereas 1-20 is pretty steady and quick-ish so it makes more sense to save it for the slog when you stop getting lucky eggs and have caught all the pokemon so you're not getting that new pokemon bonus either
No, the opposite is better.

Last night I was barely 17, popped a lucky egg when I was about to hatch two eggs. 7 new pokedex entries from evolutions, and roughly 35 other evolutions later, I'm 20. Which means I have access to Ultra Balls (and likely higher CP Pokemon) now, rather than a few days from now. Popping the Lucky Egg after I hit 20 would have zero net benefit to my total XP, but I have the capacity to collect better items sooner. Getting from 20 to 21 gives me relatively little, but racing from 17 to 20 netted me much bigger benefits sooner.
Yeah but now it's going to take you much longer to level post-20 and you have less new Pokedex entries to find

new Pokedex entries are big XP boosts, which you lose over time as you find more Pokemon
green shirt thursdays

Return to “The Arcade”