Newbie #492 - GAME OVER

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Sikario8
Sikario8
Goon
Sikario8
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:09 am

Post by Sikario8 »

'Sikario not having "Townsperson" disturbs me. Please rectify this thok.' --Oman
:roll:
Dead Rikimaru
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:34 am

Post by Dead Rikimaru »

Ladies and gentleman, we have an intruder in our game. :(
[i]"Dead Rikimaru is... well, dead. When the lights came back on, he was found turned inside-out, somehow. Disgusting, really. Anyway, he was "Dead Dead Rikimaru" (Self-fulfilling Prophecy)".
-The Scummies 2006 - Red Carpet and Ceremony![/i]
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:45 am

Post by Xaivius »

Dead Rikimaru wrote:
Xaivius wrote:I reccommend prodding the lurkers...

with a large, pointy object.

other than that, I'm not seeing too much...
I see you have been reading old games.;)
yup. Seems like in every game, one should beware of two people: The loudest one and the quietest one...
Golgi
Golgi
Townie
Golgi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:27 am

Post by Golgi »

Greetings to all. I appologize for the seemingly lurking behavior. Family stuff sometimes gets in the way. I can assure you that I wasnt lurking and before the game is over you will wish me another family disaster. I feel it is too late for a ramdom vote and will spend my time catching up. Thanks for your patience and I am glad to be here
Oh the sweet smell of Napalm in the morning.
Aimee
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:52 pm

Post by Aimee »

Vote Count

charliestubbs (1) -- Dead Rikimaru
Zombie_Woof (1) -- Xaivius
somestrangeflea (1) -- Zombie_Woof

Not Voting (4) -- charliestubbs, Golgi, somestrangeflea, Golgi

With 7 alive, it takes 4 to lynch.
Dead Rikimaru
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:11 am

Post by Dead Rikimaru »

Xaivius wrote:
Dead Rikimaru wrote:
Xaivius wrote:I reccommend prodding the lurkers...

with a large, pointy object.

other than that, I'm not seeing too much...
I see you have been reading old games.;)
yup. Seems like in every game, one should beware of two people: The loudest one and the quietest one...
You seem to be looking for a fix formula to find scum easily.
It's not that simple.
For example, lynch all lurkers is a common scum strategy, since the best scum can lose is a useless partner. But there is always a number of protown players they can get lynched that way before their partner is touched.

You cannot rely on the strategy by itself.
You must analyze case by case.

Mind to share what are the best games you have read and the players you liked the most?
[i]"Dead Rikimaru is... well, dead. When the lights came back on, he was found turned inside-out, somehow. Disgusting, really. Anyway, he was "Dead Dead Rikimaru" (Self-fulfilling Prophecy)".
Dead Rikimaru
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Dead Rikimaru
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:22 am

Post by Dead Rikimaru »

Golgi wrote: and before the game is over you will wish me another family disaster.
:shock:
I'm not sure I understood this, care to explain what did you mean?
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:52 am

Post by Xaivius »

You seem to be looking for a fix formula to find scum easily.
It's not that simple.
For example, lynch all lurkers is a common scum strategy, since the best scum can lose is a useless partner. But there is always a number of protown players they can get lynched that way before their partner is touched.

You cannot rely on the strategy by itself.
You must analyze case by case.

Mind to share what are the best games you have read and the players you liked the most?
I was merely making a generalization, in that I've seen a number of games where a scum has stayed in the shadows, usually only coming out for a game-winning hammer. It pays, in my mind, to keep an eye on anyone who seems to be lurking.

I've followed a couple games, and one of the more entertaining players I've seen is ZONEACE, mostly because he's so damn caustic, yet he tends to play well. Also tends to get OMGUSed rather often for his attitude. I'm still following Mafia 70, which has just barely hit deadline Day 1...
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:55 am

Post by Xaivius »

Also, mod, can we get an updated vote count? I unvoted in post 16, but you still have me on vote...
Aimee
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:38 pm

Post by Aimee »

Vote Count

charliestubbs (1) -- Dead Rikimaru
ssf (1) - Zombie_Woof

Not Voting (2) -- charliestubbs, Golgi, Variable, somestrangeflea, xaivius

With 7 alive, it takes 4 to lynch.

charliestubbs has been prodded.
Variable
Variable
Goon
Variable
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:13 am

Post by Variable »

Hrm, not much content yet.

I have a proposal: if the two mafia wouldn't mind stepping forward and announcing themselves, that'd be great. Just a simple "yeah, I'm scum." (Outing your partner as well isn't required, but it
is
encouraged.)

Thanks in advance...

:lol:
[color=red]the cake is a lie[/color]
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:15 am

Post by Xaivius »

Variable wrote:Hrm, not much content yet.

I have a proposal: if the two mafia wouldn't mind stepping forward and announcing themselves, that'd be great. Just a simple "yeah, I'm scum." (Outing your partner as well isn't required, but it
is
encouraged.)

Thanks in advance...

I concur. Let's get some scum out here! Quit hiding, you rigatoni-eating kneecappers!
Golgi
Golgi
Townie
Golgi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:34 am

Post by Golgi »

X and V ... Hmmm I am a relatively new player here. This is my second game. There is little that I dislike more than looking stupid. So to avoid the inevitable for as long as possible I have been reading up on common scum tell. It seems that one of the most common scum tell is joking about being scum or making a joke about others being scum. It not only seems like you have nothing to say and are talking because the silence makes you nervous. I like a joke as well as the next guy but you both popping up together with a common scum tell makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Id like to hear from others and from X and V on why they thought it was necessary to do that at the time that they did.
Oh the sweet smell of Napalm in the morning.
Variable
Variable
Goon
Variable
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:29 am

Post by Variable »

Golgi wrote:X and V ... Hmmm I am a relatively new player here. This is my second game. There is little that I dislike more than looking stupid. So to avoid the inevitable for as long as possible I have been reading up on common scum tell. It seems that one of the most common scum tell is joking about being scum or making a joke about others being scum. It not only seems like you have nothing to say and are talking because the silence makes you nervous. I like a joke as well as the next guy but you both popping up together with a common scum tell makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Id like to hear from others and from X and V on why they thought it was necessary to do that at the time that they did.
What a coincidence, this is my second game too.

You got us, man, we're both scum. We actually planned those two comments before the game started. (We were supposed to do them exactly two hours apart, but I messed up and did mine two minutes too early. Sorry, scumbuddy.)

Seriously, though, please point me to this list of scum tells. It'd be handy knowing what things
not
to do whenever I actually get a role in a game that is scum.

And the problem with "talking because the silence makes you nervous" is that it's just easier to not post anything, rather than come up with something innocent-sounding.
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Post by Xaivius »

Golgi wrote:X and V ... Hmmm I am a relatively new player here. This is my second game. There is little that I dislike more than looking stupid. So to avoid the inevitable for as long as possible I have been reading up on common scum tell. It seems that one of the most common scum tell is joking about being scum or making a joke about others being scum. It not only seems like you have nothing to say and are talking because the silence makes you nervous. I like a joke as well as the next guy but you both popping up together with a common scum tell makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Id like to hear from others and from X and V on why they thought it was necessary to do that at the time that they did.
You paint with a broad brush, my friend. Another common scum tell is a severe lack of activity, as the scum are "staying on the low down." However, there is no "sure-fire" tell that can identify scum, and my comments are mostly of the "smack the tree and see what falls out" vein. My suspicion has not been severely tripped yet, so thusly I'm on a bit of a bored kick. I have a bit of trepidation about firing off a nomination, as there has been little to no activity.

Your approach is informed, but seems to be unusually defensive for town play.

FOS: GOLGI
Zombie_Woof
Zombie_Woof
Townie
Zombie_Woof
Townie
Townie

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:44 am

Post by Zombie_Woof »

Unvote

Vote: Variable

Reason why I changed my vote...
Variable wrote:"yeah, I'm scum."
Our woal life is a idear we dint think of, nor we don't even know what it is. What a way to live.
- Riddley Walker
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:51 am

Post by somestrangeflea »

Joking about one's own scumminess
is
a scumtell. Town are generally less flexible regarding their own alignment...

Variable
Variable
Goon
Variable
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:50 am

Post by Variable »

Zombie_Woof wrote:
Unvote

Reason why I changed my vote...
Variable wrote:"yeah, I'm scum."
You know, I thought about that while I was typing, that someone would interpret that as me claiming scum. :D

FoS: somestrangeflea

Zombie's new. What's your excuse?
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:01 am

somestrangeflea wrote:Joking about one's own scumminess
is
a scumtell. Town are generally less flexible regarding their own alignment...
Variable
Variable
Goon
Variable
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:14 pm

Post by Variable »

OK, now
I'll
make one up.

Quoting oneself is a scumtell.

somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:15 pm

Variable wrote:OK, now
I'll
make one up.

See, you're starting to get it now. Just remove the sarcasm and you'll be fine!

The thing about scumtells is that there is no hard "List of Scumtells" to use. You have to look at someone's actions and ask yourself "Would scum be more likely to do that than a Townie, and why/why not?" Making up scumtells as you go along is a good Town tactic, providing that you can back them up with actual reasoning.
Variable
Variable
Goon
Variable
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:10 am

Post by Variable »

somestrangeflea wrote:
Variable wrote:OK, now
I'll
make one up.

See, you're starting to get it now. Just remove the sarcasm and you'll be fine!

The thing about scumtells is that there is no hard "List of Scumtells" to use. You have to look at someone's actions and ask yourself "Would scum be more likely to do that than a Townie, and why/why not?" Making up scumtells as you go along is a good Town tactic, providing that you can back them up with actual reasoning.
Read post 38. I thought it was quite clear that there was no "list" of tells, but was asking for one to make that point. Regardless, you should have directed this comment at 37.

Making up scumtells, with or without reasoning behind them, is actually a good way to get the game lost for the town, as it gives players an excuse to vote for someone they
want
to be scum.
Everybody
does something in a game that some mafia in some game has done at one point or another.

Bad advice, flea. I especially find your backpedaling on this annoying. (Going from agreeing with Golgi by voting for me, then attempting to turn it into a lesson on tells? What?)
Zombie_Woof
Zombie_Woof
Townie
Zombie_Woof
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 am

Post by Zombie_Woof »

Variable, you're looking pretty suspicious. You establish that quoting oneself is a scumtell, and then you quote yourself!!

Seriously, though, for now I'm going to
Unvote
Our woal life is a idear we dint think of, nor we don't even know what it is. What a way to live.
- Riddley Walker
Variable
Variable
Goon
Variable
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:54 am

Post by Variable »

Zombie_Woof wrote:Variable, you're looking pretty suspicious. You establish that quoting oneself is a scumtell, and then you quote yourself!!

Unvote

Claim =/= Establish

You completely missed the point of my post.
Zombie_Woof
Zombie_Woof
Townie
Zombie_Woof
Townie
Townie

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:21 pm

Post by Zombie_Woof »

Variable wrote:
Zombie_Woof wrote:Variable, you're looking pretty suspicious. You establish that quoting oneself is a scumtell, and then you quote yourself!!

Unvote

Claim =/= Establish

You completely missed the point of my post.
You completely missed my use of the word 'seriously'. It indicates that in the information following it, I am intending to be
more
serious than I was in the statement preceding it. Hence, when I said "Variable, you're looking pretty suspicious. You establish that quoting oneself is a scumtell, and then you quote yourself!!", I was not really being serious. But you can only tell that if you read the post and notice 'seriously' being used this way, so I can see where there might be confusion. Hope that clears it up.
- Riddley Walker

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”