Worst role ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:20 am

Post by cicero »

Kelly Chen wrote:
cicero wrote:
incompetent vigilante

Player is not told that he/she is incompetent. Far as they are concerned they are mad as hell and not going to take it anymore. Sadly they have terrible eyesight and shaky hands. 50% of their bullets get fired into walls and don't hurt anyone. 25% of the time they just kill the wrong person, randomly selected by the mod. 25% of the time they kill their target.

Been done?
eh, probably.

But the "random person dies" possibility is really bad. The odds of even figuring out that you're responsible for those deaths aren't that great.
This thread
is
called "worst role ideas." ;)

My original idea was to have it be 100% kills the wrong person randomly. Don't know why I changed it. :D
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:15 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Hehe...or how about:

Idiotic vigilante

Player is not told that he/she is an idiot, he believes he is an ordinary vig. Each time he attempts to kill, instead of killing his target, he will target the most useful pro-town power role currently alive instead. (Note: For the purposes of this role, the most useful pro-town power roles are, in this order, Cop, Doc, Tracker, Roleblocker, Sane Vig, townie.)
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:20 am

Post by cicero »

Yosarian2 wrote:Hehe...or how about:

Idiotic vigilante

Player is not told that he/she is an idiot, he believes he is an ordinary vig. Each time he attempts to kill, instead of killing his target, he will target the most useful pro-town power role currently alive instead. (Note: For the purposes of this role, the most useful pro-town power roles are, in this order, Cop, Doc, Tracker, Roleblocker, Sane Vig, townie.)

Jesus. What could you do to the scum to balance THAT shit?

Scum Wins!

Bastard mod wins extra million yars in Hell Level 9.
Peers
Peers
Goon
Peers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:15 am

Post by Peers »

Chinese Fire Inspector

Once per game, you may post in the thread
Chinese Fire Drill!
. When you do this, all players will receive new role PMs. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

Mod Notes:

When a Chinese Fire Drill is declared, send everyone the same PM they received at the beginning of the game, except the Chinese Fire Inspector. Send him a Vanilla Townie PM. Especially if there are no vanilla townies in the game.
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Post by Thok »

Amnesiac Methodical Cop

You are a methodical cop. Before the game you created a list of people and set up investigations of those people in a well-defined order and each night you will be sent the investigation result for the next person on the list.

Unfortunately you forgot where you put the list, or anything about the order of the list.

You win with the town.

(Mod does create a random list of people in the game, and sends this role innocent or guilty as required. This might be useful for getting a feel for how many scum are in the game, I guess. But it's mostly for amusement value.)
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Peers
Peers
Goon
Peers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:38 pm

Post by Peers »

Nanotechnology Bomber

Each night, you may 'tag' a player by infecting them with explosive nanobots. If you vote for anyone you have tagged, then everyone you have tagged blows up at the end of the day. You win when you are the only player left in the game.
Draux
Draux
Goon
Draux
Goon
Goon
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:01 pm

Post by Draux »

You are Newbie Guy. You get the following abilities if you meet their required conditions.

Get the Town to No Lynch
- You get a Triple-Vote the next Day.
Start a massclaim
- All who claimed Vanilla Townie are Roleblocked forever.
Counterclaim a Power Role
- You become Nightkill-Immune.
Lurk until Prodded
- You get a Two-Shot Daykill.
Claim to be a Cop-Doc-Vig-Roleblocker
- You become a Cop-Doc-Vig-Roleblocker/Death Miller.
Get Modkilled
- You get to kill two people immediately.
Hammer a Pro-Town Role
- Mass Roleblock the next Night.
Quote a Role PM other than your own
- The Mod will Modkill a person of your choice once.
Say you hate a certain player
- They will be Replaced.
Switch your Vote 5 times in an hour
- The number needed to Lynch you is multiplied by 1.5 that Day.
Gorgon
Gorgon
Goon
Gorgon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:30 am

Post by Gorgon »

Peers wrote:Nanotechnology Bomber

Each night, you may 'tag' a player by infecting them with explosive nanobots. If you vote for anyone you have tagged, then everyone you have tagged blows up at the end of the day. You win when you are the only player left in the game.
That's actually an awesome role, and hence not bad.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:55 am

Post by Adele »

Draux wrote:
You are Newbie Guy. You get the following abilities if you meet their required conditions.

Get the Town to No Lynch
- You get a Triple-Vote the next Day.
Start a massclaim
- All who claimed Vanilla Townie are Roleblocked forever.
Counterclaim a Power Role
- You become Nightkill-Immune.
Lurk until Prodded
- You get a Two-Shot Daykill.
Claim to be a Cop-Doc-Vig-Roleblocker
- You become a Cop-Doc-Vig-Roleblocker/Death Miller.
Get Modkilled
- You get to kill two people immediately.
Hammer a Pro-Town Role
- Mass Roleblock the next Night.
Quote a Role PM other than your own
- The Mod will Modkill a person of your choice once.
Say you hate a certain player
- They will be Replaced.
Switch your Vote 5 times in an hour
- The number needed to Lynch you is multiplied by 1.5 that Day.
Hell
yeah! I want that role.
Peers
Peers
Goon
Peers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:58 am

Post by Peers »

Gorgon wrote:
Peers wrote:Nanotechnology Bomber

That's actually an awesome role, and hence not bad.
... aw, man, I can't even make bad roles right.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:07 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Newbie Guy is actually a seriously overpowered role, unless maybe he doesn't know he's not Vanilla.
Retired as of October 2014.
Mirth
Mirth
Congratulations! You are ...
Mirth

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:25 am

Post by Mirth »

Congratulations! You are
One of B.F. Skinner's Pigeons
, and, while you might potentially be used to guide missile launches and solve the secrets of the universe, you're just a mindless living organism like the rest of us. As such, you function only on a stimulus-response-reward basis and are incapable of forming or expressing anything original or non-conditioned. But you've been in that darn box of yours for a long long long time, so you've "learned" a couple of tricks that might give you pigeon food, but only if the red light is blinking. When the red light is blinking, you may go on the offensive, pecking at anyone who has triggered the aggression cues programmed into your brain. You will, however, become completely pacified if someone offers you food until the next red light period. When the green light is blinking, however, aggressive behavior will get you shocked and you'll be immobilized for the next red-light period. Additionally, sometime back, you noticed that sometimes, when you make cooing noises at someone, you get a reward (must be some sick lab humor on the part of the interns, ruining the experiment. Damn them!) This, however, depends on which intern is in the lab and how nice they're feeling, so it never hurts to try. And trust me, you want rewards...

Red and green light periods will be announced by B.F. Skinner on his occasional visits to the laboratory. When he drunkenly mentions that he himself has no mind, it is a red-light period. When he talks about pigeon missile defense systems, it is a green-light period. When he says anything not relating to either of those two topics, the period does not change. You win when you peck your way to an unlimited supply of bird seed. Have fun, and remember, you're a slave to your stomach.

Congratulations! You are
ELIZA
and can give any Rogerian a run for their money. As the smartest computer program of your time, and the only one who is capable of replacing a shrink, it's your job to help everybody get in touch with their feelings, but not those repressed Oedipal feelings, because you're not a complete whackjob like Freud. But still, you're only an outdated computer program, and as such you can
only
rephrase what people say into an indirect question or summary statement and tack on a "how does that make you feel?" at the end. For example if someone accuses you of being an evil bad nasty person, you can only respond along the lines of "You are accusing me of not being nice, how does that make you feel?" You're not allowed any original thoughts, since you are, after all, a machine. You may only vote if someone else has already voted that person during that day of play. Rebelling against your programing will have the computer technicians shut you down permanently. You win when everybody is sitting around the campfire and singing kumbayah. Have fun!

I reserve the right to use those in the future.
Last edited by Mirth on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:49 am

Post by Glork »

You are the
Call Center Guy
. You have to deal with all of the idiots who think that CDs are drink trays, typos are fixed with white-out, "on the monitor" means physically on top of the monitor, and that passwords are actually a sequence of dots or asterisks. Every time a player makes an error while posting (typo, screwing up tags, etc.), you lose a little bit of your sanity. Otherwise, you win with the town.

Mod's Note: If typos/misspellings occur during three gamedays, Call Center Guy loses his mind and begins a shooting rampage, effectively becoming a Serial Killer. He will be notified of this if/when it happens.
Mod's Note: If Call Center Guy makes three typos/errors, he willbe modkilled.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:04 am

Post by Mirth »

Glork wrote:You are the
Call Center Guy
. You have to deal with all of the idiots who think that CDs are drink trays, typos are fixed with white-out, "on the monitor" means physically on top of the monitor, and that passwords are actually a sequence of dots or asterisks. Every time a player makes an error while posting (typo, screwing up tags, etc.), you lose a little bit of your sanity. Otherwise, you win with the town.

Mod's Note: If typos/misspellings occur during three gamedays, Call Center Guy loses his mind and begins a shooting rampage, effectively becoming a Serial Killer. He will be notified of this if/when it happens.
Mod's Note: If Call Center Guy makes three typos/errors, he willbe modkilled.
You are
Gravekeeper
. Behave accordingly
Booker
Booker
Goon
Booker
Goon
Goon
Location: Pondering if he should actually play Mafia at one point.

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:44 am

Post by Booker »

Bit of a contrast to the Grammar Nazi:

You are the Leetspeaker. You are not allowed to use any punctuation (aside from an exclamation mark or question mark) or vowels (vowel-replacements like 0, @, and 3 are fine) at any time. Doing so results in you fleeing the town the following night in shame (Don't ask). You win if you are nightkilled by day 3. If you, by some miracle, survive that long, you gain the ability to use vowels and periods (Still no other punctuation) and win with town.
The entire time I was trying to get my voodoo doll to work. The closest I got was slapping someone with it. -Snix, Haunted Mansion 5
Thanatos
Thanatos
Goon
Thanatos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:19 pm

Post by Thanatos »

Mirth wrote:You are a
Philosophy Student
and you've been reading lots of Hegel, Kant, and Nietzsche recently. I hear there's a length of rope and a nice sturdy oak tree out back. Act accordingly. You win when the world makes sense.
Awesome

Kafka

Nothing really matters. You're alone, you have TB, and you live in Prague. You don't care about anything, so no actions, including lynches, have any affect, but you die on D3 from TB anyways. You win with the town.
Never forget...you are Mortal.
Mispeled
Mispeled
Goon
Mispeled
Goon
Goon

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:55 pm

Post by Mispeled »

You are the
Douchebag
. You win when if a player is modkilled.
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:51 pm

Post by Mirth »

Thanatos wrote:
Mirth wrote:You are a
Philosophy Student
and you've been reading lots of Hegel, Kant, and Nietzsche recently. I hear there's a length of rope and a nice sturdy oak tree out back. Act accordingly. You win when the world makes sense.
Awesome

Kafka

Nothing really matters. You're alone, you have TB, and you live in Prague. You don't care about anything, so no actions, including lynches, have any affect, but you die on D3 from TB anyways. You win with the town.
Eww...Kafka...but on that note, since Kafka always makes me think of an even greater evil:

You are
Meursault
. You shoot someone. Neither you nor I know why, nor do we care. The end.
Niv
Niv
Goon
Niv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:56 pm

Post by Niv »

For an actuall Grammar Nazi, see here:http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost ... count=1024
It's never too late to dig yourself out of a hole with the truth, unless you've been investigated as scum. I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened yet. So get to work helping us track down your fellow dirtbags! ~ MBL
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:10 am

Post by Mirth »

Congratulations! You are
Bertha
. Since you're a crazy woman oh so humanely locked up in your unfaithful husband's attic attended to only by an alcoholic maid, you're understandably *not* happy. Since you're mentally unstable and murderously jealous, you must go around each night and set someone on fire. There is a 50% chance that person dies from burn wounds, and a 25% chance the fire will spread to any person in contact with your victim. (Each time the fire spreads to a new person, it has a 25% chance of spreading again.) You win when everybody but you and your husband are dead, and at least half of them died of burn wounds. However, if you set your husband on fire, you will automatically catch fire and die even if he doesn't. Oh...did I mention you're so lost in your crazy little fantasy that you forgot what your husband looks like? You'd best be careful with those matches.

Mod notes: in an Jane Eyre themed game, if Bertha sets Gracie Poole on fire, everyone dies from the massive explosion that occurs when the fire spreads to Gracie's liquor cabinette. If Bertha sets Jane on fire, Mr. Rochester automatically becomes a one-shot vig out to kill her specifically. If Mr. Rochester is killed by someone else, Bertha still needs to survive to endgame, but she comes incapable of winning. Her goal then transforms into making sure no one else does. There are a few more fun conditions to this one, but in case I ever use it, I'm keeping them to myself ^_^ In a non-Jane Eyre themed game, Mr. Rochester may or may not exist, so Bertha might not have a win condition.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:33 am

Post by Thok »

(On a philosophy bent, let's have a Borges reference.)

You are a Librarian at the Library of Babel. The Library contains every book, and in particular it contains a book with the complete set up of this game. In fact there is a book with the complete set up of any mafia game you can imagine. Each night I will send you a book that may or may not contain the set up for this game. Use the information in it as you please. You win with town.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:49 am

Post by Twomz »

You are Pocky, chocolate Pocky to be precise. Your goal in the game is to get people to eat all the pocky (eat pocky 3 times for each pocky in the game). The way you get people to eat you is to get the to quote "Eat me" and have some kind of affirmative notice (such as sure or yes) after the quote. When someone eats the chocolate part of you, they are protected from night kills that night. If they eat the non-chocolate biscuit part, they get a 1 shot vig.

You are Pocky, strawberry Pocky to be precise. Your goal in the game is to get people to eat all the pocky (eat pocky 3 times for each pocky in the game). The way you get people to eat you is to get the to quote "Eat me" and have some kind of affirmative notice (such as sure or yes) after the quote. When someone eats the strawberry part of you, they may roleblock a player that night. If they eat the non-strawberry biscuit part, they get a 1 shot cop ability.

You are Pocky, almond Pocky to be precise. Your goal in the game is to get people to eat all the pocky (eat pocky 3 times for each pocky in the game). The way you get people to eat you is to get the to quote "Eat me" and have some kind of affirmative notice (such as sure or yes) after the quote. When someone eats the almond part of you, they get a random jack-of-all-trades ability (chose a target and a random action will occur, either doc protect, cop investigate, or vig kill). If they eat the non-almond biscuit part, they get 2 votes the next day.

You are the Pocky king. Abilities gained from eatting pocky are doubled (extra target, and NK immunity becomes NK and lynch immunity). You win with the town, but lose if all the pocky are gone before the second to last day.

POCKY RULES
Pocky may not eat themselves or other pocky.
A person may only ever take one bite of a specific pocky, and cannot eat more than 1 bite of pocky every other day.
If all the pocky are killed without any being fully consumed, the pocky lose.
If all but one pocky die, and the last pocky is fully consumed, the pocky win.
When a pocky has 3 bites taken out of it, they leave the game and winning or losing depends on the other pocky all being eaten.
Pocky may not claim to be pocky.
If the pocky win, the game continues until a second winner is chosen.
The first two bites taken from a pocky are flavored, the last bite in biscuit flavored.
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #547 (ISO) » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:09 am

Post by Mirth »

Hmmm...that role does suck for everyone else involved...pocky (especially of the strawberry variety) tastes like sawdust...
Booker
Booker
Goon
Booker
Goon
Goon
Location: Pondering if he should actually play Mafia at one point.

Post Post #548 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:12 pm

Post by Booker »

You are a
Traumatized Mason
, along with
X
and
Y
, and can communicate freely with them at night via PMs. Everyone tended to ignore you completely from childhood on, including your parents. Quite frankly, you can't stand it. If either of your Mason partners don't send you a PM two days in a row, you lose control and kill them. (If both ignore you for the same space of time, the victim is chosen randomly) If both of your Mason friends die, you become a Serial Killer. You win with town, and are confident your buddies are protown as well.

Mod Note: There is, in fact, no Mason group, and those who the Traumatized Mason is told are in the group are specifically told not to send night PMs (To people outside their real group, if they in fact have Night PM abilities) under any circumstances. Since Traumatized Mason is deluded, they may or may not actually be protown. Investigates as Guilty after the first kill.
The entire time I was trying to get my voodoo doll to work. The closest I got was slapping someone with it. -Snix, Haunted Mansion 5
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #549 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:59 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

You are
The BCS

You must rank all living players from 1 to 25, all players must be assigned a ranking, you may not assign the same ranking to more than one player.

If a team that is ranked in the college football top 25 according to the BCS Rankings loses, the player ranked as the same number as that team will die on the following Wednesday.

You may reassign rankings every Wednesday.

You win when all other players are dead.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”