[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8650 (ISO) » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:39 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 8649, callforjudgement wrote:I thought about that but decided that there wasn't much of a reason not to leave it up to the moderator. It doesn't have a balance effect, just an effect on town activity, so it falls into the realm of moderator discretion.

I'll explain why i asked then, because it kinda forces an anti-fun game mechanic.

Basically the best case for scum is trying to force out the no-lynch as early as possible to either get rid of the scummy person OR get rid of the person with the least/best tells.

So the scum would try and force a no-lynch on Day 1 in this case, but that kinda ruins the spirit and makes it kinda anti-fun for the scum that has to actually die off for this to work.
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8651 (ISO) » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:45 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I don't think scum can force a nolynch D1 in this setup any more easily than they can force a nolynch D1 in any other setup. (Let's face it, they would if they could even in something like White Flag or Matrix6.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
The MM
The MM
Goon
The MM
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8652 (ISO) » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:49 am

Post by The MM »

The fact of tying a new mechanic to something like no-lynching is not the best idea IMO, if only because this encourages stalling. Early for scum as to avoid having to bus later on (or worse, when they're alone), late for town as they can get a sure-kill on scum.
Waiting for the day I can come back and mod games.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8653 (ISO) » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:56 am

Hmm, perhaps we should mandate a plurality lynch at deadline (in addition to hammers ending the day early, as usual) in order to get around these problems, then. I don't think it affects the setup's balance, but if people
think
it does, then that'll be enough to throw the balance off by itself.

Plurality lynch at deadline also encourages stalling to some extent (which is why it's unpopular) but it would at least work around this problem.
scum
town
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #8654 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:18 pm

Post by Creature »

Lady of the Lake
Rolelist:

Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town

Mafia Goon
Mafia Goon

Mechanism:

Two random players, regardless of alignment, will receive a "Lady of the Lake" card.
They can use this card on another player, receiving feedback on their role (one of the cards will work like a sane cop, other as insane cop) and giving the card to them.
If the player who received the card dies, the former owner will receive it back (or a random player).
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8655 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:45 pm

What's the limitation on using the cards? Once per night at night? Without any limitation it's clearly very townsided as passing one card between every player will reveal both scum and scum will give themselves away if they try to break the chain.
scum
town
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #8656 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:57 pm

Post by Creature »

Once per night.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8657 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:17 pm

OK. So in the most common scenario (scum aren't lynched day 1 or day 2), the players have the choice of claiming results day 2 or waiting until day 3. If you claim day 2, one of the people who was investigated is likely to get NKed (both because they'll be at least somewhat confirmed, and to prevent anyone learning what their N2 investigation result was). This effectively means that in an average situation, town has a 3-way Parity Cop result D3. That's townsided if all the claims are truthful, but take into account the possibility that scum got the cards and fakeclaimed their results, and I think this is in the ballpark of balanced. If I had to guess at a possible imbalance I'd say it's townsided (because if it goes to D4 scum are highly limited in who they can kill without giving their identity away through night actions) but I might well be wrong on that.

I think it may be a good idea to have the players who originally got the cards D1 announced by the moderator. This means that if scum do get a card D1, they can't use the strategy of claiming they didn't get it (which is undisprovable/unobservable as townies will claim that too), thus effectively removing the card from play. (Even if you make using the cards compulsive, they could just pass it to a buddy.)

Is it worth using some different sort of flavour than Sane/Insane? Because you can just swap the results from one card and it should always be clear which card is which from night to night (except in the unfortunate case where the same player gets investigated by both cards, which should be avoidable via town coordination) it's mathematically equivalent to there being two cards, each of which give results that have unknown meaning but are consistent for a given faction. For example, we could do the setup like this, which is a little more flavourful and a little simpler:

• 2 Town, 7 Mafia
  • 2 Ladies of the Lake, 7 Vanilla/Goon (roles are randomized independently of alignment)
  • Lady of the Lake PM is:
    You are a «
    Town/Mafia
    » Lady of the Lake. At the start of Day 1, your role (but not alignment) will be announced by the moderator.

At night, you may investigate another player. That player will become a Lady of the Lake (this will not be announced by the moderator), and you will become vanilla (goon if Mafia).
    If you die during the day, or your target dies at night, a random vanilla/goon player will become a Lady of the Lake.
    Your result will be of the form "water" or "wind", and indicates the faction of the investigated player. Which word refers to which faction is chosen randomly by the moderator at the start of the game, but will be the same for all Ladies of the Lake all game.

«
    win condition, factional abilities if Mafia, etc.
    »
scum
town
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8658 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:14 am

Post by drmyshottyizsik »

Shooting Blind

Town
4x Town PRs
1x Town Power Grabber
6x VTs

Mafia
2x Mafia PRs
1x Mafia Power Grabber

The following PRs will be randomly assigned to the town, and the town will not know which PR they are simply that they are a power role:
Watcher
Doc
JK
Vig

The following PRs will be randomly assigned to the mafia, and the mafia will not know which PR they are simply that they are a power role:
Doc
Vig

The Mafia doesn't have a group night kill.

Power Grabber

The power grabber has the option to absorb the PR of a lynch member of their alignment. They may reject the PR, they will not be told what the PR is either, and they can only have one power at a time.
Last edited by drmyshottyizsik on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
#freeShotty
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8659 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:39 am

Mafia will figure out which of them is the vig very quickly, at which point they basically have two kills per night, + will be able to protect their vig from the town vig. I don't think the town PRs compensate for this.

EDIT: That said, the Town have a ton of power too; the Cop will be self-aware by D2, and has a backup so that they can safely claim. The Vig will probably also be self-aware by D2. I still don't think it's enough to compensate for the scum controlling two kills, but it'd be enough to unbalance any normal setup (especially because Follow the Cop is possible by D3; you get one of the remaining town PRs to claim, the other protects the Cop, there's a 50% chance it's the Doctor, or a 50% chance it's the JK in which case the Cop can claim being blocked, the Doctor probably gets NKed, then the (hidden) Power Grabber takes over the Doc role).
scum
town
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8660 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:51 am

Post by JasonWazza »

I don't know if that will ever really have a balance because of the non-knowledge of PR's, Fun maybe but balanced is iffy.

Realistic night 1 is 13 members, and 6 PR's.

Town;
Cop can instantly identify himself because he gets a result.
Vig can possibly identify himself if he gets lucky and misses the 3 protection roles and doesn't hit his target, which may make him assume he is the protective role.
Doc and JK will know their target didn't die but won't know if they are able to only protect or able to protect and roleblock.

Mafia;
Assuming they don't hit a Protection target, each PR is identifiable instantly.

P-Edit: what CfJ said.
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8661 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:52 am

In post 8659, callforjudgement wrote:Mafia will figure out which of them is the vig very quickly, at which point they basically have two kills per night, + will be able to protect their vig from the town vig. I don't think the town PRs compensate for this.

EDIT: That said, the Town have a ton of power too; the Cop will be self-aware by D2, and has a backup so that they can safely claim. The Vig will probably also be self-aware by D2. I still don't think it's enough to compensate for the scum controlling two kills, but it'd be enough to unbalance any normal setup (especially because Follow the Cop is possible by D3; you get one of the remaining town PRs to claim, the other protects the Cop, there's a 50% chance it's the Doctor, or a 50% chance it's the JK in which case the Cop can claim being blocked, the Doctor probably gets NKed, then the (hidden) Power Grabber takes over the Doc role).

The mafia doesn't have a group NK. Also I don't think mafia will always shoot day 1. The vig may think he is a doc and kill his own teammate.
#freeShotty
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8662 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:53 am

In post 8660, JasonWazza wrote:I don't know if that will ever really have a balance because of the non-knowledge of PR's, Fun maybe but balanced is iffy.

Realistic night 1 is 13 members, and 6 PR's.

Town;
Cop can instantly identify himself because he gets a result.
Vig can possibly identify himself if he gets lucky and misses the 3 protection roles and doesn't hit his target, which may make him assume he is the protective role.
Doc and JK will know their target didn't die but won't know if they are able to only protect or able to protect and roleblock.

Mafia;
Assuming they don't hit a Protection target, each PR is identifiable instantly.

P-Edit: what CfJ said.

Yes but that is where the power grabber comes in, he doesn't know who what or what power he may be accepting.
#freeShotty
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8663 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:08 am

In post 8661, drmyshottyizsik wrote:The mafia doesn't have a group NK. Also I don't think mafia will always shoot day 1. The vig may think he is a doc and kill his own teammate.

Oh, I missed that. In that case it's highly townsided for reasons I mentioned earlier.

Also, scum will definitely shoot night 1. They'll just shoot two different townies, one with the vig, one with the doc. Doc'ing a townie you aren't killing has very little downside for Mafia. This isn't enough to make the setup not-townsided, though.
scum
town
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8664 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:28 am

Shooting Blind

Town
4x Town PRs
1x Town Power Grabber
6x VTs

Mafia
2x Mafia PRs
1x Mafia Power Grabber

The following PRs will be randomly assigned to the town, and the town will not know which PR they are simply that they are a power role:
Watcher
Doc
JK
Vig

The following PRs will be randomly assigned to the mafia, and the mafia will not know which PR they are simply that they are a power role:
Doc
Vig

The Mafia doesn't have a group night kill.

Power Grabber

The power grabber has the option to absorb the PR of a lynch member of their alignment. They may reject the PR, they will not be told what the PR is either, and they can only have one power at a time.
#freeShotty
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8665 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:29 am

That's a bit more balanced
#freeShotty
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #8666 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Revised C/910 Town players
3 Mafia players

Each town player has a 1/18 chance of being a cop, a 1/18 chance of being a doctor, and an 8/9 chance of being a vanilla townie; in other words, each town player has a 1/9 chance of having a power.
Each mafia player has a 1/3 chance of being a godfather.

this is a revised version of an open setup I devised several years ago. it was originally designed basically 99% as a moderately clever play on words, but I like the idea enough to have given some thought into improving it.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #8667 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Post by Creature »

RGB
Rolelist

Color Cop
Doctor
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town

Red Mafia Goon

Green Mafia Goon

Blue Mafia Goon

Mechanism

There will have 3 groups:
Red
Green
and
Blue
Each group is guaranted to have one mafia goon on it. The mafia will know what group they're part of. Besides that, the mafia will have one factional kill that can be used against anyone.
The town players will be randomly divided into these groups. They won't know what group they're part of.
When killed the group the player is part of will be flipped.
The Color Cop can check what group someone is part of.

Preview

The main strategy would be Follow the Color Cop, but that's totally different from the Follow the Cop strategy. The Color Cop won't gain any other info other than the group the player is part of. The town will have to scum hunt and get the mafia goon from a certain group, thus clearing everybody else from that group.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8668 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:31 pm

The setup you have there is close to balanced if mountainous (given that Mafia can only kill once). As such, I suspect giving the town power roles, even relatively weak ones, makes it townsided.
If I misinterpreted you and you mean that the Mafia collectively have one kill per night, it's scumsided; I don't think town gets colour investigations quickly enough to be able to conclude much from them. (The best case for town is if all the investigated players are the same colour, but that's vanishingly unlikely.)

I suspect the best way to balance the setup would be to give the Mafia one factional kill every night and to make some but not all of the townies colour-aware. I'm not sure how many would have to know their own colour, but I suspect that there's some value that is balanced. (You could potentially even make the "colour investigation" a town factional ability, controlled by voting in the thread, rather than relying on power roles; this would avoid the "named townie effect" which lets power roles clear themselves by claiming. That'd make the setup more scumsided, but it could be balanced around, and would make the setup purer in a way.)
scum
town
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #8669 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:02 pm

Post by Creature »

Yes, mafia has one single kill per night.

I dislike having townies aware of their colors, they can basically claim it and be confirmed.

Also, thought about a color parity cop.

Not really sure if the town factional ability would work.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8670 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Claiming your colour hardly makes you confirmed. Think about it this way: if every player knew their colour, you'd basically have three games of Mafia running in parallel, a "red game", a "green game", and a "blue game" (with a final victory calculated on the winning margins town/scum had in each of the three games). Vi has run setups similar to this in the past. If you consider the example of a 2 red town/2 green town/2 blue town/1 red scum/1 green scum/1 blue scum setup, you basically have three independent LYLOs where town needs to win two out of three to win (because they only have one mislynch). The main reason that this setup doesn't work (and why Vi never ran it exactly like that) is that because the three pods are independent you don't really get associative tells.

Having some players know their colour, and other players only discovering later, is a really good way to get around the associative tell issue, and also allows for a lot of fine balance tuning simply by changing the number of self-aware townies. As such, I'm convinced that there is an interesting balanced setup along these lines, and would like to see it played/become successful. That said, I don't know the specific numbers at which it would be balanced; if all the townies are self-aware it's clearly townsided, if none are I believe it's scumsided, and so the balance lies somewhere in between but I'm not sure where.
scum
town
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #8671 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Post by xyzzy »

this would be a pretty significant divergence from the original idea, but one option that comes to mind is by having a vote for a player who finds out their color; each day, allow players to vote for both a lynch and for a color reveal, and once the day ends, the player with a plurality of color votes has their color publicly revealed (with no reveal if two players are tied). if the town has both a color cop and a color vote, they'll gain information at a slightly increased pace.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #8672 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Post by BBmolla »

I think triplicate Mafia is a cleaner version of that idea.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8673 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:29 pm

Oh, I was seeing it as a cleaner version of Triplicate (that neatly handles balance, and associative tell issues); perhaps not in its original form, but once it's been cleaned up a bit.
scum
town
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #8674 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:26 am

Post by Creature »

Cop Madness
Rolelist

Random Cop
Random Cop
Random Cop
Random Cop
Random Cop
Random Attribute Cop
Sanity Cop

Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Roleblocker

Sanities

Sane Cop: Receives innocent and guilty as normal.
Insane Cop: Receives innocent on guilty and guilty on innocent.
Naive Cop: Receives innocent on every result.
Paranoid Cop: Receives guilty on every result.
Lazy Cop: Receives "No result" everytime.
Ignorant Cop: Receives a random result.

Attributes

Annoying Cop: Works as a roleblocker. (Random sanity)
Hardline Cop: Works as a vigilante. (Random sanity)
Doctor Cop: Works as a doctor. (Random sanity)
Witness Cop: Receives a guilty result if the target is the one killing.

Other roles

Sanity Cop: Checks what kind of cop someone is. Will be given random result on mafia.
Mafia Roleblocker: Can kill and roleblock at same time.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”