[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8625 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:18 am

Post by drmyshottyizsik »

In post 8621, Sméagol wrote:Is there an equivalent thread for closed set-ups? Or something similar to the theme test market, but then for mechanics rather than flavour.
I think a thread for discussing mechanics that won't be used in open set-ups could be useful. At the moment, for example, I'd like to know if an informed majority vs an informed minority has been done before. Lynch mechanics are obviously removed, and the mafia would be a lot stronger than town. I had some rudimentary ideas about it, and was wondering if there already have been games like that.

If we talked openly they wouldn't be closed.
#freeShotty
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8626 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:24 am

Post by Sméagol »

In post 8625, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 8621, Sméagol wrote:Is there an equivalent thread for closed set-ups? Or something similar to the theme test market, but then for mechanics rather than flavour.
I think a thread for discussing mechanics that won't be used in open set-ups could be useful. At the moment, for example, I'd like to know if an informed majority vs an informed minority has been done before. Lynch mechanics are obviously removed, and the mafia would be a lot stronger than town. I had some rudimentary ideas about it, and was wondering if there already have been games like that.

You can still talk about specific mechanics without disclosing the complete set-up (like the role distribution). I guess I can do that here as well, but I was wondering if there was amore appropriate place.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
: none
/
running
/
coming up
: large normal (18p) / micro theme (9)
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8627 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:25 am

In post 8626, Sméagol wrote:
In post 8625, drmyshottyizsik wrote:

You can still talk about specific mechanics without disclosing the complete set-up (like the role distribution). I guess I can do that here as well, but I was wondering if there was amore appropriate place.
we have a thread to introduce themes and ask for co mods and reviews
#freeShotty
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8628 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:31 am

Post by Sméagol »

I've already mentioned the theme test market thread, which deals with flavour.. That's not what I'm talking about. And I was talking about discussing mechanics in general, long before I'd need a reviewer. But like I said, I guess I can discuss them here.

To go back to my original example: have there been games with an informed minority vs an informed majority? I'm looking for inspiration.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8629 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:38 am

Like.with serial killers? Or.with siblings? I once played a game with 3 mafia and 3 sets of quadruplits, but the thing was you couldn't confirm your siblings as town and each group had one traitor
#freeShotty
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8630 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:02 am

Post by Sméagol »

No I mean a game with a town and a mafia, and town knows exactly who the mafia are.

A game that would have to focus on night actions, as the lynch mechanic would have to be removed.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8631 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:05 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 8621, Sméagol wrote:Is there an equivalent thread for closed set-ups?

"The New Set-Up Review Thread" allows you to find a reviewer for a Closed game. (I used to be pretty active there, although more recently I've mostly been doing closed Normal reviews rather than closed Theme reviews, and thus have been going via the NRG.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8632 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 8622, Creature wrote:
Mail Mafia
Rolelist:

Town PR
Town PR/Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town
Vanilla Town

Mafia PR
Mafia Goon

Mechanism:

The difference is that users can PM one message to the moderator per IRL day (if the dayphase has 14 days, the user can send up to 14 messages, 1 each IRL day).
At the end of an IRL day, the moderator will post all messages in the thread.

Since your mostly looking at this mechanism, since your not telling us the PR's or anything.

My main question is are the messages anonymous?

Would they have a tag to be able to identify that they are different players (EG. one message comes from A, another from B)

Basically the mechanic basically means shit all if it's not anonymous (as you may as well just say the message in the thread) however if it is, then it just gives a way for PR's to claim extremely safely (claim in your first message to the mod, provide results after each night)

There is basically no reason to use it outside of that sort of thing (why do you need these messages when you can just say things in thread?)
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #8633 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:17 pm

Post by yessiree »

I just had to get this idea out there... :P

Friend or Foe==== Town ====
Town Neighborizer
VT x9
==== Mafia ====
Mafia Neighborizer
Goon x2

- Mafia members don't know the identities of other mafia members.
- Mafia has one factional night kill per night.
- Each mafia member can choose to submit a night kill target to the mod or to take no action.
- The factional night kill will resolve to the player targeted the most, or targeted by the most recent pm in the case of a tie.
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8634 (ISO) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:22 am

Post by JasonWazza »

Neither Neighborizer should really actually use their ability because they are 50/50 scum, and the person neighborized should just claim the neighborizer.
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8635 (ISO) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:20 am

Power Defused - A Take on Diffusion of Power

Town
4x 1 shot night-x cop
4x 1 shot night-x doc
1x 4 shot any night jk

Mafia
3x 1 shot night-x killers
1x 4 shot any night jk

Deets
All night actions are determined by RNG
The Mafia and Town JKs have 4 shots to use any night, and they can use multiple in one night.
Mafia has no kills other than their 3 nights.
#freeShotty
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8636 (ISO) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:32 am

Post by JasonWazza »

I feel like the power is mostly based on the RNG and what your RNGing up to for nights.

eg. Nights 1-5 are randomized for all roles, the Night 4-5 PR's are relatively underpowered, and then Night 1's tend to be really strong.

Also due to mafia not having a proper night kill it's very possible there is no mafia aligned kill till a few nights in which also limits info.
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8637 (ISO) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:08 am

In post 8636, JasonWazza wrote:I feel like the power is mostly based on the RNG and what your RNGing up to for nights.

eg. Nights 1-5 are randomized for all roles, the Night 4-5 PR's are relatively underpowered, and then Night 1's tend to be really strong.

Also due to mafia not having a proper night kill it's very possible there is no mafia aligned kill till a few nights in which also limits info.

All PRs will be nights 1-4
#freeShotty
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8638 (ISO) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:13 am

In post 8633, yessiree wrote:I just had to get this idea out there... :P

Friend or Foe==== Town ====
Town Neighborizer
VT x9
==== Mafia ====
Mafia Neighborizer
Goon x2

- Mafia members don't know the identities of other mafia members.
- Mafia has one factional night kill per night.
- Each mafia member can choose to submit a night kill target to the mod or to take no action.
- The factional night kill will resolve to the player targeted the most, or targeted by the most recent pm in the case of a tie.

Town's nowhere near powerful enough for a 10:3, and the fact that scum don't know each others' identities makes scumhunting basically impossible; there's no way to draw associatives. I'm inclined to call this "not Mafia". (Besides, a decent proportion of the value in a town Neighbourizer is in neighbourizing scum and figuring out who their buddies are via seeing how they react to various suggestions of yours.)
scum
town
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8639 (ISO) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:53 am

Post by yessiree »

In post 8638, callforjudgement wrote:Town's nowhere near powerful enough for a 10:3, and the fact that scum don't know each others' identities makes scumhunting basically impossible; there's no way to draw associatives. I'm inclined to call this "not Mafia". (Besides, a decent proportion of the value in a town Neighbourizer is in neighbourizing scum and figuring out who their buddies are via seeing how they react to various suggestions of yours.)

I don't think drawing associatives is the only way to scumhunt though. It's true you can't draw associations between scums, but at the same time, that lack of coordination makes it that much more difficult in achieving a mislynch.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8640 (ISO) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:56 am

Scum have zero incentive to act any differently from town.

Think of it this way: normally scum have to play a little nontownishly to help out their partners, but if they don't know who their partners are, this incentive isn't there. So scum can just play exactly as though they were town; there is no reason for them to do anything else. (In fact, it would be optimal to not read your role PM in that sort of setup, except for the fact that you have to know whether you need to send in a nightkill.)
scum
town
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8641 (ISO) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:57 am

Post by yessiree »

In post 8634, JasonWazza wrote:Neither Neighborizer should really actually use their ability because they are 50/50 scum, and the person neighborized should just claim the neighborizer.

Then i guess it turns into a mountainous with an uninformed scum team?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8642 (ISO) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Dubious Idea Mafia
  • 8 Town 1-Shot Day Vigilantes
  • 3 Mafia 1-Shot Day Vigilantes
  • If a player is lynched and still has their shot left, they can vengekill a player with it if they like (although they must make the decision very soon after the lynch, it can't be saved for later)
  • Daykills are made privately via PM to the moderator, and it's not public who made them
  • Attempts by people who have already been daykilled to kill people fail, even if the moderator hasn't been online to flip them yet
  • Nightless

Numbers are flexible and I have no idea whether they're in the right place or not at the moment (it should be close though). This is a Bad Idea variant, or viewed another way, a Texas Justice variant. I can't see a way to break it due to the fact that actions happen in sequence rather than being simultaneous.
scum
town
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8643 (ISO) » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:26 am

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 8641, yessiree wrote:
In post 8634, JasonWazza wrote:Neither Neighborizer should really actually use their ability because they are 50/50 scum, and the person neighborized should just claim the neighborizer.

Then i guess it turns into a mountainous with an uninformed scum team?

Which is as CallForJudgement said, basically not mafia (i'd actually not read the part of the mafia not knowing each other when i posted).

callforjudgement wrote:
Dubious Idea Mafia
  • 8 Town 1-Shot Day Vigilantes
  • 3 Mafia 1-Shot Day Vigilantes
  • If a player is lynched and still has their shot left, they can vengekill a player with it if they like (although they must make the decision very soon after the lynch, it can't be saved for later)
  • Daykills are made privately via PM to the moderator, and it's not public who made them
  • Attempts by people who have already been daykilled to kill people fail, even if the moderator hasn't been online to flip them yet
  • Nightless

Numbers are flexible and I have no idea whether they're in the right place or not at the moment (it should be close though). This is a Bad Idea variant, or viewed another way, a Texas Justice variant. I can't see a way to break it due to the fact that actions happen in sequence rather than being simultaneous.

You can basically view this as a 5v3 due to the fact that really, Mafia can just shoot off the bat and go random to make them have the best chances.

But the 5 all do have a 1 shot day kill, but in a town with 3 random townies dead, i'm inclined to think that's not a good thing.

EDIT: Just thinking on how that would work.
Mislynch (don't vengekill) LYLO
Then every mislynch after that the townie has to manage to hit a scum.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8644 (ISO) » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:24 pm

It's more like a 6:3 than a 5:3 if scum all shoot first. If the setup ends at 2:2 or 1:1, a townie can daykill scum in order to keep town's chances alive, thus town have one extra mislynch. (Not to mention that if town
knows
that scum have used their shots, they can pick two people for the lynch and ask them to vig each other; if both are town only one would die, if one were scum then they'd be killed by the townie, and if both were scum it'd become obvious when neither could shoot. As such, scum would have to claim their daykills on townies in order to prevent it being obvious that it was a scum shot, which makes them easier to read and rather restricts their targets.)
scum
town
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #8645 (ISO) » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

To Love And To Be Loved:right: Each player has 1 shot love each day.
To use that Player A must post something like "I love Player B.". They will be lovers immediately after that. Love action will be announced publicly.

:right: All lovers has private topics which they can use Day or Night till they break up or 1 of them die.

:right: Whenever someones die or get lynched (suicide is not counted) they can choose one of their lovers to suicide with them. they may choose no one as well. The suicides will take place in the start of next night.

:right: Day phases won't end but will be locked after a lynch until I receive a suicide target(or no action) from the lynched one. if they don't choose a suicide target no suicide will happen. Flips will happen after this mechanic take place.

:right: If a player has at least 3 lovers (dead or alive) , they will need 1 additional vote to get lynched .

:right: Players can choose to break up at anytime. Both lovers need to agree with this.
After that both players will be hated for the next cycle . They can't love each other again during the game.

:right: There is a 50% for each of these modifiers to be in game. that means the game may contain none or all of them.
All modifiers are unique.

Love Guardian
(Only Town) : You will bodyguard all of your lovers. If one of them get shot at night , you will die instead of them. You won't be informed which one of your lovers got shot. You may decide one of your lovers to suicide after your death.

Love Redirector
(Both Alignments) : If anyone attempts to love you at any part of the game they will fail and their shot will be redirected to another available random player. you can love players yourself.

Adorable Lover
(Both Alignments) : You won't get hated after broke up.

Lovely Lover
(Both Alignments) : As your lovely , your lover's votes on you count half!

Strong-willed Lover
(Both Alignments) : You won't ever suicide.
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #8646 (ISO) » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:43 am

Post by BNL »

In post 8613, BNL wrote:A twist on the Gladiator mechanic:

2 Mafia vs 7 Town or 3 Mafia vs 10 town etc.

Day start. Each Night, the Mafia must choose someone (X). They can choose themselves, but not the person they are killing. X will then choose another player (Y) before the next Day starts. X and Y will be publicly announced, and will be the only votable players on that Day.

So I thought of a few ways to balance this:

Make the gladiator choose two people instead of one to have a higher chance of hitting scum (but personally I dislike this idea).

Insert 2/3 masons for Micro/Mini. This is my preferred variant, but I'm unsure if 2/3 or 3/4 masons is better. Former seems tad bit underpowered but latter seems like it could be too much power. I like masons more than other PRs for this setup because it avoids the nasty "PR gladiates other PR" scenario.

Maybe allow the gladiator to choose his target halfway into the Day, but I don't really like this idea either.

Also, I disagree that Mafia choosing target randomly is a concern. In a normal Mafia game, scum can also kill randomly, but they do much better, and NKA is a thing.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8647 (ISO) » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:22 pm

Lynch or No Lynch
  • 9 Vanilla Townies
  • 3 Mafia Goons
  • The first time the town no-lynch, the Mafia have to kill one of their own members overnight, rather than killing a townie
  • Town=Scum is not a Mafia victory if town still have their no-lynch available
  • To save time in this situation, the no-lynch is used automatically and the day phase is skipped

Basically, the idea is that town have to estimate whether having the scummiest scum revealed would be more useful in the future or now. If there's obvscum, you lynch them as if they're actually scum, no lynching now would give scum a relatively cheap sacrifice. If there isn't, it may well be that a flip would make the situation clearer, in which case it's probably in your interests to get a scumflip now rather than risking lynching someone who makes the scum's sacrifice decision easier. This reminds me of Deal or No Deal a lot (you try to estimate the best time to "take the offer" as the probabilities change, you can only take the offer once, but even after you do you play the game out), so the name is very fitting :-)

The idea originally came about when trying to fix an issue in White Flag (that it's hard to get associatives with dead scum in a mountainous and the White Flag mechanic just makes it harder, thus forcing you to scum
team
hunt rather than scumhunt in the normal way). Giving town the first scum death for free rather than the last seemed like the way to go, but you can't just flip one scum at the start of the game because town wouldn't gain anything from it. Instead, by adding the possibility that scum can be lynched
first
, scum are encouraged to defend each other and thus create associative tells.

The EV (town win percentage with random lynching) is highest if town delay their no-lynch to the last possible moment (to increase the chance of a random lynch hitting scum), at 48.646%.
scum
town
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8648 (ISO) » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:22 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

Honestly i think what you aim to do, is only reveal your most scum where ever possible, and once you lynch the first scum, instantly no lynch, as then you give scum less info on who to keep alive in the scenario.

Though that runs into other problems, and is mostly a best case scenario sort of thing.

EDIT: Also question, if the deadline is what forces a no lynch, what is your plan there?

Cause i feel like that almost breaks the spirit of what your trying to achieve with this setup.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8649 (ISO) » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:32 pm

I thought about that but decided that there wasn't much of a reason not to leave it up to the moderator. It doesn't have a balance effect, just an effect on town activity, so it falls into the realm of moderator discretion.
scum
town

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”