She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #475 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 474, shos wrote:
In post 473, Ythan wrote:
In post 472, Cerberus v666 wrote:I'm never going to nominate a game other than one I'm involved in. I simply don't care enough about anyone else's games to actually read their game and determine if they deserve to be nominated, and I'm certain the majority of players feel the same way. It's simply too much time to properly evaluate a games and the merits of the nomination.

Then leave it to people who do?

Question is, thrn, how many games do the people who do, read?

If it's more than zero then leave it to them.
shos
shos
Survivor
shos
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #476 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Post by shos »

In post 475, Ythan wrote:
In post 474, shos wrote:
In post 472, Cerberus v666 wrote:I'm never going to nominate a game other than one I'm involved in. I simply don't care enough about anyone else's games to actually read their game and determine if they deserve to be nominated, and I'm certain the majority of players feel the same way. It's simply too much time to properly evaluate a games and the merits of the nomination.

You don't understand. The point is that the pool of games from which people can be nominated is not all games. What if none of those people read that specific game I'm talking about? then I have no chance at all?
In post 836, Lucky2u said:

Rule # 5h05: players should not attempt to use or manipulate the mod for any purpose.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #477 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:23 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

I normally do, I just happen to be involved in this particular game, so I felt I would share my opinion.

In post 476, shos wrote:
In post 475, Ythan wrote:
In post 474, shos wrote:

You don't understand. The point is that the pool of games from which people can be nominated is not all games. What if none of those people read that specific game I'm talking about? then I have no chance at all?

Yeah, that's basically the point I'm making. If the subset of individuals who take the time to read through other peoples games is skewed toward particular mods or players, those mods or players will received a disproportionate number of nominations, if self nominations are ignored.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #478 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Post by Ythan »

No Shos, you don't understand. The point is that a game deserving of an award is going to get nominated here without the nominees themselves coming in here and asking for a trophy.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #479 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:29 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 478, Ythan wrote:No Shos, you don't understand. The point is that a game deserving of an award is going to get nominated here without the nominees themselves coming in here and asking for a trophy.

But you're wrong. You're extremely wrong. Honestly, how many people do you really think actually read through a sufficient quantity of games to be certain stellar performances aren't being overlooked?
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #480 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Post by Ythan »

The short response is that your opinion is irrelevant because we've been doing this for eleven years and you don't know what you're talking about.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #481 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:31 pm

Post by Ythan »

If any of you think you're the first person to make a self nomination and then argue about why you're an exception then you're just wrong?
shos
shos
Survivor
shos
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #482 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:35 pm

Post by shos »

Ythan, have you ever seen someone win a game twice?
In post 836, Lucky2u said:

Rule # 5h05: players should not attempt to use or manipulate the mod for any purpose.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #483 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by Ythan »

Am I supposed to be impressed that someone played some weird setup where they could "win twice" and did? Because I'm not.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #484 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 480, Ythan wrote:The short response is that your opinion is irrelevant because we've been doing this for eleven years and you don't know what you're talking about.

Many things have been done in unfair fashions for centuries. The precedent does not mean that the way they've been done in the past is correct, OR that it can't be improved upon.

That's a very closed-minded response. In any case, I suppose this really doesn't matter to me enough to argue with you about, so I'll just take my leave.

pedit: i didn't make the self nomination. I couldn't care less about the nomination. I argued against the nomination in the thread, because I personally don't feel I deserve to be part of a town which wins said scummy, because my performance in this game was terrible in my opinion. I do, however, feel very strongly that if others want to self nominate, there shouldn't be a stigma upon it, so long as it's not actually against the nomination rules.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #485 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:39 pm

Post by Ythan »

You wish for a world where shameless self-promotion isn't stigmatized and that's really a shame for you because it's not going to pan out here.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #486 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:43 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 484, Cerberus v666 wrote:
In post 480, Ythan wrote:The short response is that your opinion is irrelevant because we've been doing this for eleven years and you don't know what you're talking about.

Many things have been done in unfair fashions for centuries. The precedent does not mean that the way they've been done in the past is correct, OR that it can't be improved upon.

That's a very closed-minded response. In any case, I suppose this really doesn't matter to me enough to argue with you about, so I'll just take my leave.

pedit: i didn't make the self nomination. I couldn't care less about the nomination. I argued against the nomination in the thread, because I personally don't feel I deserve to be part of a town which wins said scummy, because my performance in this game was terrible in my opinion. I do, however, feel very strongly that if others want to self nominate, there shouldn't be a stigma upon it, so long as it's not actually against the nomination rules.

what do you think is going on that is unfair exactly?
whew!
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #487 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 486, pirate mollie wrote:
In post 484, Cerberus v666 wrote:

what do you think is going on that is unfair exactly?

That was more in response to Ythans assertion that "This is the way things have been done forever and you don't know what you're talking about so stfu.", than an assertion that something is actually unfair.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #488 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Post by Ythan »

The assertion is that you're yet another newb who thinks they're the first one to come in here and make this same old argument and it's been happening for over a decade.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #489 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Post by Ythan »

Maybe you would find this thread more useful.

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=6630759
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #490 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 483, Ythan wrote:Am I supposed to be impressed that someone played some weird setup where they could "win twice" and did? Because I'm not.

Am I suprised Ythan wasn't impressed?

If god himself appeared before him he would say "Meh, obvious photoshop"

:P
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #491 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:01 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

I don't think that is what ythan is saying.

I think that self noms are ick. I really wanted hu2 to get nommed for best town play cos I felt like town really came together like I cld feel it in my mind. the mod nommed the final self-voting scum instead.

your efforts shld be judged by your peers and you just have to roll with it.
whew!
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #492 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Post by Firebringer »

I personally don't see the problem with a self noms, its going to be judged in the end by others anyways.

Just because something got nominated doesn't equal them winning.
This isn't a discussion thread on what is acceptable nomination though.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #493 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:07 pm

Post by Psyche »

self-noms in principle are okay
it's just that too many self-noms just amount to the self-nommer embarrassing themself
You can't step in the same river twice.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #494 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Post by Ythan »

Guys this is a really great thread.

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=6630759
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #495 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:39 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 466, Drixx wrote:It was, objectively, the best scum game I've ever played, and a friend who came from the same site as me said it was among the best scum games he's ever seen in over a decade playing forum mafia.

it was also probably the best scum game mastin's ever played, but nobody nominated mastin for it, either

go figure
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #496 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Post by hiplop »

why dont you nom it then
third best scummer of all time
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #497 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:23 pm

Post by T S O »

I've always liked the Paragon title
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #498 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Post by Davsto »

I don't see the argument that "ooh if you don't allow self-noms then you're relying on the mod or people who read the game to nom"

If it's best town, then the scumteam can nom it. If it's best scumteam, then town can nom it. If it's Kodak moment or any one regarding a single player, literally anyone in the game can nom it.

I have nothing against self-noms, although I would never do so myself, but I can see a perfectly valid argument against them, as in if it takes you to say "oh yeh I/we did great in this game", you... probably didn't do as well as you thought you did.

For example, this Suidoken UPick, where the town are all going "best town all non-town lynches", whereas from my PoV it just looks like the scumteam were weak as hell.
Yukari
Yukari
Goon
Yukari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #499 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:40 pm

Post by Yukari »

Since we very rarely read games outside of our own, no idea at all if Suikoden U-Pick is worthy of a nom or not, but it sure was fun. Our previous game before Suikoden was objectively our worst play ever. Then with Suikoden being our swan song and wanting to end things on a good note, we really put in a lot of unseen effort. After playing a game like that, we can retire happily. :D
Stare into meta for too long and meta may stare back into you.
Wubba lubba dub dub!
We are now Retired.

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”