Blitz Queue Trial (Closed)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:56 am

Post by Ether »

So, uh...

I've been talking about running my Chosen (which is a 9-player game) with a 72-hour Day 1 and 48 hours thereafter, since only one mod seems to have gone below 72 so far. But would you guys actually want to deal with that?
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:12 am

Post by pisskop »

yes. I havent because Im terrified of the turnout, but I dont see why a 2:1 phase ratio is obscene.
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Post by Rob14 »

The biggest problem with running <72 hour games is the activity requirements. If you set a 24 prod timer in your setup, that only guarantees one post each day phase (one after the first 24 hours, then let time expire). I imagine you'd have to go higher on activity requirements (18 hours? 2 posts guaranteed; 12 hours? 3 posts guaranteed). How many players will be able to meet 12 or 18 hour prod timers with regularity?

At that point, it's better to just run a marathon. Which btw is an interesting possible use of this queue.

@Admin/list mod team: Is it allowable to run a game with extremely short phases (<1 hour) in this queue?
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

We can lower the prod threshold without making it an automatic prod. ie, allow prods by in thread player request after 12 hours.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:10 pm

Post by Ythan »

What if there's nobody around to request a prod?
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:11 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

Then it can't be that important for the absent player to be prodded?
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:20 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 177, Rob14 wrote:The biggest problem with running <72 hour games is the activity requirements. If you set a 24 prod timer in your setup, that only guarantees one post each day phase (one after the first 24 hours, then let time expire). I imagine you'd have to go higher on activity requirements (18 hours? 2 posts guaranteed; 12 hours? 3 posts guaranteed). How many players will be able to meet 12 or 18 hour prod timers with regularity?

At that point, it's better to just run a marathon. Which btw is an interesting possible use of this queue.

@Admin/list mod team: Is it allowable to run a game with extremely short phases (<1 hour) in this queue?

I went with an 18 hour prod timer in my (72 hour day) game, and gave the prodded player 6 hours to post. Feedback in that game indicated 24 hours would be preferable to the prodded players, but I think 24 hours plus the waiting period before replacing would drag too much on the game pace. With a 48 hour game day, 24 hour prod timer would be worse on the pace.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:01 pm

Post by Rob14 »

I'm a fan of the idea of 18 hours prod timers, personally, but player response to that idea has been poor when I've brought it up. To me, it makes perfect sense. Post when you wake up and before you go to sleep. Apparently, a good amount of players can't regularly fit that into their schedule (or don't wish to) based on the response I got to the idea.

@Xtoxm: I generally consider it undesirable for players to have to request prods. Moderation should take place in the background and players should be able to focus on playing, not checking the activity overview for which people need prods.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:37 am

Post by Ether »

I think old Westeros games used to have 24 hour deadlines, and just modkilled you if you missed a day. It seemed to work out okay for them.
(Although this probably gets less feasible the longer the deadlines are. 48 hour days take twice as long.)

For a nine-player game, I don't want to modkill. But I might just force-replace after the first missed 24 hours without bothering with prods, or at least start looking for a replacement and let them jump back in until I've found one the first time, and take no excuses the second time.

Replacements are also a fun issue.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:03 am

Post by Ether »

I'm also leaning toward gating signups to only allow people with 4 ongoing games or fewer through, but ditching that requirement for replacement purposes to make it easier to find people quickly.

Not sure if that'll push signups down too much--hopefully for a small game, it should be workable, but I'll rethink it if things drag on too long. If I completely sabotage the trial and destroy any future hopes for a blitz queue, uh, I'm apologizing in advance here.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:34 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 182, Rob14 wrote:I'm a fan of the idea of 18 hours prod timers, personally, but player response to that idea has been poor when I've brought it up. To me, it makes perfect sense. Post when you wake up and before you go to sleep.
Apparently, a good amount of players can't regularly fit that into their schedule (or don't wish to) based on the response I got to the idea.

@Xtoxm: I generally consider it undesirable for players to have to request prods. Moderation should take place in the background and players should be able to focus on playing, not checking the activity overview for which people need prods.

Then the commitment of a blitz game may be a bit much, I guess.

Idic
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:50 am

Post by Ythan »

Different strokes etc
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:27 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 186, Ythan wrote:Different strokes etc

Obviously.

There's a whole site full of games with longer deadlines for people who can't or don't like to post more frequently than at least once every 18 hours.

Or, maybe 96 hour days makes more sense for blitz queue at MS. 24 hour prod timer and 6 hours to replace wouldn't mess that schedule up too badly.

Idic
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:30 pm

Post by Klazam »

Tangential discussion regarding rob's idea for this queue supporting marathon games

I vote NO

We have marathons very infrequently for a reason.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:31 pm

Post by fferyllt »

That said, I needed 2 replacements out of 14 players in Blitz 2, and only one of them was an activity-based replacement. The level of commitment and posting was mostly quite good. I've seen worse on sites that always run blitz-length-ish games.

Idic
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 188, Klazam wrote:Tangential discussion regarding rob's idea for this queue supporting marathon games

I vote NO

We have marathons very infrequently for a reason.

Ythan wrote:Different strokes etc
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:05 pm

Post by zoraster »

In post 177, Rob14 wrote:@Admin/list mod team: Is it allowable to run a game with extremely short phases (<1 hour) in this queue?

So far as I can tell we've not made any rules about minimum deadlines. If you want to run something with 1 hour deadlines, that's okay for now, but (1) you still need to have a reviewer and (2) you still need to run your game through the queue.

If we get a lot of these games, we'll probably have to institute a rule on it though.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Post by Rob14 »

I have no interest in running such a game, just curious.
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:47 pm

Post by tn5421 »

I'm thinking that RealTime games might become a hit if there's enough activity. (Day/Night tied to the realtime day/night cycles)
WIP
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Post by saulres »

In post 193, tn5421 wrote:I'm thinking that RealTime games might become a hit if there's enough activity. (Day/Night tied to the realtime day/night cycles)

Different people in different timezones would really screw with that though.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by zoraster »

tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Post by tn5421 »

Just be upfront with what timezone you're using and it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
WIP
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Post by zoraster »

The trial is now extended until January 31st.

Does this mean the trial has been successful?
On some metrics, yes. Last playerslot census, it has roughly the same number of playerslots as Micros, Mini Normals, Mini Themes and Large themes (~50).

But on many it has not shown itself to be particularly great.

Right now, our largest queue is Newbies, which is roughly at the same level as it was in Oct. 2014. All other queues have seen reductions, none more than Large Themes (losing 97 slots since August).

Right now, it seems like we are lacking a supply of games, particularly large theme games.

---
So why keep the trial running? I'm not sure what the cause of this across the board reduction is. Is it due to a very temporary decrease in supply and interest in non-Newbie queues? Or is it something that speaks to the corrosive nature of these games that reduces overall participation in mafia?

I'm not sure, but I think it's worth another 45 days to test it out.

We're still looking at the following things:

(1) Are the games of sufficient high quality that MS is offering something that other sites are not providing it?, (2) How many games were played?, (3) How often was there no mod supply?, (4) Has it affected other Queues?, (5) Was the interest in playing consistent, particularly toward the end of the trial or did it taper off?, (6) Were there a variety of games provided?, and (7) How often did people end up having to replace out of games?

At the end of the trial everyone will get a chance to weigh in. Please try the queue out! But also if you're a mod, please don't hesitate to get other types of games running.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Post by Ythan »

Could you clarify the problem? You haven't explained it clearly.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Post by zoraster »

The problem is that despite being as successful as any other queue in isolation, there is a possibility that is driving down our numbers overall.

Playerslots are defined as any slot in a game that is currently alive of the census. So a unique player could account for many different playerslots.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”