[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #8500 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by BBmolla »

The best solution is to just have the motivator choose someone to motivate during the day imo.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
St Constantine the Hermit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8501 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:47 am

Post by St Constantine the Hermit »

Yes, I can get behind that.
Show
Aye, let old constantine spin ye a tale...

Book of Constantine (Protestant) 214: 112 - God hates you
Book of Constantine (Catholic) 214:112 - God doesn't like you
Book of Constantine (Orthodox) 214:112 - God tolerates you
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #8502 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:44 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Voteless/Hated as a giftable modifier generally just has a lot of unwelcome edge cases. In particular it basically means LYLO is a day earlier, unless all of the town can race to get the first scum who starts the flashwagon? Which is probaly not how you want every single game of your setup to end.

Also Beloved as a vendable modifier is basically giving scum a vig. And what is Drunk? I've never heard of that modifier before.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8503 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:18 am

Post by pisskop »

drunk sends the Drunk's NA result PMs to a ranom person instead of the drunk.
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8504 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:00 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

In post 8503, pisskop wrote:drunk sends the Drunk's NA result PMs to a ranom person instead of the drunk.

amnesiac
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8505 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:03 am

Post by pisskop »

amnesiac takes a flipped role without the alignment.

The difference between Amnensiac Cop and the drunk modifier is that the cops results are presumably sent to 1, predetermined character.
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8506 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Post by St Constantine the Hermit »

@Hitogoroshi - Hated might be too powerful. I see nothing wrong with a mod removing it. You have to be careful because many of those powerful modifiers are what keep the game balanced.

Beloved isn't really a vig. It only works for the next day and night, as per the rules. Like all the other modifiers, the townie who recieves it is informed he has the modifier, but maybe there does need to be a rule that the beloved modifier only works during the day. I don't like adding to many rules though, as I prefer to keep the set-up simple, but I guess if enough people thought it was necessary...

The drunk modifier is like Pisskop described. Credit for that modifier goes to Titus, who used it in one of her recent finished modded games. I really love that modifier and it is one of my favorites.
Show
Aye, let old constantine spin ye a tale...

Book of Constantine (Protestant) 214: 112 - God hates you
Book of Constantine (Catholic) 214:112 - God doesn't like you
Book of Constantine (Orthodox) 214:112 - God tolerates you
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #8507 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:36 pm

Post by BNL »

Roleblocker
1-shot Ascetic
Tracker
1-shot Strongman
Vanilla Townie
1-shot Ninja
Doctor
1-shot Rolestopper
Watcher

Choose one row, column or diagonal at random, then add VTs and Goons to generate a 2:7 setup.

Ascetic activates on the night of the Mafia's choice.

Rolestopper doesn't stop kills.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8508 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:38 pm

Post by pisskop »

Sincw there are no town killers, and the setup is semi-open; why scum rolestopper?

Its actually clears whomever it is used on as 'not rolestopper', since there are no blockers on team town.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #8509 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Post by BNL »

If Doc and Watcher claim, scum can't take them out normally. With the rolestopper, they can either: Rolestop and kill Doc so Watcher dont know who the Mafia are. Or they can Rolestop and kill Watcher.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8510 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:25 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

2nd column: why?
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8511 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:27 am

Post by IceGuy »

It's essentially 2:7 mountainous, very scumsided (<23% town EV).
N e s s
N e s s
Goon
N e s s
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8512 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:05 pm

Post by N e s s »

Hey so, i'm new here. Whats up?
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8513 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Post by pisskop »

This thread is for discussing 'open game' mechanics and setup.
hi im Yakko
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8514 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:49 am

Post by hi im Yakko »

Been thinking of all vanillas (eh not really) with a weak investigative role not sure what to call it.

Factorial based (best way to explain it).

NScum x1
MScum x2
QTown x3
RTown x4
T-Town x5

Scum do not know what scum letter they are and neither do town. So the playerlist would (have to?) be randomized as well.

The mechanic is this. A player has the ability to switch his alignment/role (unsure which) with someone elses. The player that the action is occuring on is informed that this is happening. How it would work is that scum N drops their role in one time, scum M drops their role in twice, town Q drops their role three times etc. it might work better with actual roles although I'm not sure which ones.

Just thinking about it for now.
When the opposition are here you tell them nothing except where the toilets are, but you lie about that right. Fuckity bye
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8515 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:57 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

So is it an alignment changing game (town <--> scum), Yakko? Or am I misunderstanding your idea? And why would scum want to use this?

It sounds interesting, though.
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
hi im Yakko
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8516 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:40 am

Post by hi im Yakko »

In post 8515, AlwaysInnocent wrote:So is it an alignment changing game (town <--> scum), Yakko? Or am I misunderstanding your idea? And why would scum want to use this?

It sounds interesting, though.

Thats the thing. I think it works better with roles and I somehow seperate those from alignment? Instead of Vanilla goon do I just use Vanilla?

So yeah when I figure it out Which should be soon as I am just staring at it and waiting for my brain to click things together.
When the opposition are here you tell them nothing except where the toilets are, but you lie about that right. Fuckity bye
hi im Yakko
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8517 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:46 am

Post by hi im Yakko »

Oh I think I got it.
hi im Yakko
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8518 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:09 pm

Post by hi im Yakko »

Inspired by game of dice

I have an idea about using cards with abilities. All of these cards can be known it is not that important to me. It can be any number of players. Works best with a small player list imo. All roles are vanilla.

27 total cards may add more for volume.

Players receive 3 cards at the start of the game can only use a single card every phase. Players receive a new card every 3/4/5 th phase (unsure).

Cards resolve on a first come first serve basis or they all resolve at the same time at the end of the phase or they all resolve at the same time before the phase starts Or It's up to the mod.

Cards cannot determine alignment, but can win you the game as either alignment.

Win conditions for town: When all scum are eliminated or in a 3 player situation where town outnumber scum and the town survives 3 phases.

Scum win condition: When it is mechanically impossible for town to win.

Cards are randomly assigned with lower chances of rolling high value cards or players pick 9 cards and are assigned "basic" 3 cards with an equal chance of rolling any of the six cards left over in the next card draw.

The win conditions I am worried about there is a card that lets you survive a phase.

The Player must announce in thread in bold what card he is using and the mod will resolve in the next VC or right then and their.
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: I don't know

Post Post #8519 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:03 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

Twin Peaks County/10p Neighborhood "Mountainous"

Night Start
2 Mafia Goons
8 Vanilla Townies

The player-list is evenly divided into two neighborhoods with one goon in each. Players are free to talk in their neighborhoods at any time.

Interactions: Optimal play for the goons is to keep the neighborhoods even with each other because everyone in the neighborhood is confirmed town after a goon is lynched. Therefore, if the neighborhoods are off by more than one and the second goon is in the smaller neighborhood, they would be doomed after the first one is lynched.

Edit: Had some stuff about the goons being vengeful in it, but I'm pretty sure it works without it so I removed that.
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8520 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:20 am

Post by Karnage »

I had posted this setup idea a while back but I think this is a much stronger version:

Docs and Blocks Mafia

• Mafia begins with THREE Mafia Goons
  • Town begins with SEVEN Vanilla Townies
  • Town is guaranteed to have THREE VT’s upgraded to a either a Doctor or a Roleblocker (2 of one, 1 one of the other)
  • During pre-game, Mafia have 72 hours to upgrade up to TWO goons to 1-Shot Strongman. They may choose not to upgrade any.
  • For each goon upgraded, TWO additional VTs will be upgraded to either a Doctor or a Roleblocker. (must be one of each)
  • During pre-game, ALL Town players will receive Vanilla Townie role PMs. Once the Mafia has decided how many goons to upgrade, power role PM’s will be sent out.
  • Town will not be notified how many goons the Mafia chose to upgrade.

Mod would "flip a coin" to decide if its 2 Docs and 1 RB or 1 Doc and 2 RBs to start. Town is guaranteed 1-4 Docs, 1-4 RBs and could have 0-4 VT's

If I wanted to give this a shot which (if any) queue could I try it in?
Bulbazoor
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8521 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:27 am

Post by Bulbazoor »

In post 8507, BNL wrote:
Roleblocker
1-shot Ascetic
Tracker
1-shot Strongman
Vanilla Townie
1-shot Ninja
Doctor
1-shot Rolestopper
Watcher

Choose one row, column or diagonal at random, then add VTs and Goons to generate a 2:7 setup.

Ascetic activates on the night of the Mafia's choice.

Rolestopper doesn't stop kills.

Ninja strongman and vanilla towns... What
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8522 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:29 am

Post by pisskop »

The game is mountainous if the middle row or column is choosen.

Not that scum wont know that from the get go.
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8523 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:30 am

Post by pisskop »

In post 8520, Karnage wrote:I had posted this setup idea a while back but I think this is a much stronger version:

Docs and Blocks Mafia

• Mafia begins with THREE Mafia Goons
  • Town begins with SEVEN Vanilla Townies
  • Town is guaranteed to have THREE VT’s upgraded to a either a Doctor or a Roleblocker (2 of one, 1 one of the other)
  • During pre-game, Mafia have 72 hours to upgrade up to TWO goons to 1-Shot Strongman. They may choose not to upgrade any.
  • For each goon upgraded, TWO additional VTs will be upgraded to either a Doctor or a Roleblocker. (must be one of each)
  • During pre-game, ALL Town players will receive Vanilla Townie role PMs. Once the Mafia has decided how many goons to upgrade, power role PM’s will be sent out.
  • Town will not be notified how many goons the Mafia chose to upgrade.

Mod would "flip a coin" to decide if its 2 Docs and 1 RB or 1 Doc and 2 RBs to start. Town is guaranteed 1-4 Docs, 1-4 RBs and could have 0-4 VT's

If I wanted to give this a shot which (if any) queue could I try it in?

This sounds like it could be an open game. Would also be able to be run as a theme.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #8524 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:31 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

BNL's setup seems extremely scum sided.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”