Hearthstone- Heroes of Warcraft (Enter Your ID!)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Count Dooku
Count Dooku
Mafia Scum
Count Dooku
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2450 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:10 am

Post by Count Dooku »

In post 2449, popsofctown wrote:Hungry Dragon is not a great arena card. The best case scenario is that your opponent gets Elvish Archer, it attacks your Hungry Dragon, and you have a 4 mana 5/5, which is usually just as good as a 4 mana 4/5 and often as good as a 4 mana 3/5. Then there are lots of scenarios that are worse than that, including your Webspinner example.

I would take, for example, Refreshment Vendor over it.

But that is not the best case scenario.
1. You have an Enrage (especially Raging Worgen) minion on the board. -> 4 mana 5/6 with an upside
2. You were going to clear the board with Consecration/Holy Nova etc. anyways. -> 4 mana 5/6
3. You have MC Tech in hand and your opponent had had only 3 minions. -> 4 mana 5/6 with an insane upside
4. You have Sea Giant in hand. -> 4 mana 5/6 with a minor upside and a minor downside
5. You have Cabal Shadow Priest/Shadowmadness in hand. -> 4 mana 5/6 with an upside

I am sure that there are other insane situations, but it's all I have in my mind right now.
And yes, I know, that Sea Giants and Cabals are pretty damn rare cards in arena. But the first 3 examples are not that rare, I have already triggered a Worgen with it. And I've already stolen something with MC, because I put down Hungry dragon.

So yeah, I would take it over Refresment Vendor for example. :D but I might be wrong
Get to Know a Sith Lord
Officially the worst mafioso ever.
RIP Sir Christopher Lee
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #2451 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:33 am

Post by Glork »

...he's talking about just Hungry Dragon. The scenarios you're bringing up are multiple card combos that cost 8-10 mana. Just Hungry Dragon, as a 4-drop, is the context we're talking about. And in that context, it's not so good.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2452 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:45 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Hungry Dragon is fine, but it's hard to play. You basically have to be in a position to handle the 1-drop immediately; if you're not, then it's not good. And if you are in a position to handle to 1-drop immediately, you probably would have been fine with any 4-drop.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Count Dooku
Count Dooku
Mafia Scum
Count Dooku
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2453 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:46 am

Post by Count Dooku »

In post 2451, Glork wrote:...he's talking about just Hungry Dragon. The scenarios you're bringing up are multiple card combos that cost 8-10 mana. Just Hungry Dragon, as a 4-drop, is the context we're talking about. And in that context, it's not so good.

...well, the best case scenario is still not what pops said. That may be the best case scenario when you drop it on turn 4. But you will rarely ever play it exactly on turn 4.
Get to Know a Sith Lord
RIP Sir Christopher Lee
Count Dooku
Count Dooku
Mafia Scum
Count Dooku
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2454 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:57 am

Post by Count Dooku »

Oh, and I guess when you pick a card you don't only think about the scenario when you play it on curve. You have to consider the scenarios when you draw it later/have other, better cards to play.
Get to Know a Sith Lord
RIP Sir Christopher Lee
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2455 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:04 am

Post by popsofctown »

On curve play is the most important aspect of a minion. A good arena deck is picking the minimum number of 2's, 3's, and 4's you need to curve out consistently, and then after hitting that minimum drafting nothing but ogres because ogres have better card efficiency.

But, I mean, we can talk about how a 4 mana 5/6 with "Battlecry: Frost Shock a friendly minion" is a great card on turn 8 if you want to.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2456 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:07 am

Post by DeathNote »

I had drafted it with mage expecting to deal with the 1 drop. The problem was the one drop just spawned an even better option.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2457 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:33 am

Post by chamber »

In post 2455, popsofctown wrote:On curve play is the most important aspect of a minion. A good arena deck is picking the minimum number of 2's, 3's, and 4's you need to curve out consistently, and then after hitting that minimum drafting nothing but ogres because ogres have better card efficiency.

But, I mean, we can talk about how a 4 mana 5/6 with "Battlecry: Frost Shock a friendly minion" is a great card on turn 8 if you want to.

I don't think hungry dragon is the best 4 drop, but I think in the majority of decks its way better than refreshment vendor.
Taking a break from the site.
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #2458 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:24 am

Post by Ellibereth »

its good in rogue
FLASH OF GREEN
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2459 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:29 am

Post by popsofctown »

It's probably at its best in rogue, still way worse than yeti in rogue though.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #2460 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:25 am

Post by Glork »

Sometime in the last week I got terrible at Patron Warrior. Or just shitty luck. I haven't gotten to play much lately (work + cancer = no energy), so today I had three quests, all of which could be achieved by winnning Warrior games. Decided to play Patron Warrior, and I lost some 15-20 games before I won the 5 necessary to complete my dailies. Really frustrating. :/
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2461 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:32 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Holy shit, yeah, that's ridiculous. Even on my worst days I got 50/50 with the deck.
green shirt thursdays
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2462 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:35 pm

Post by chamber »

I've had terrible loss streaks before, just happens sometimes.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2463 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:07 pm

Post by popsofctown »

You've probably lost a lot with other decks too, but it feels terrible to lose using patron warrior. It also feels terrible to win using Patron Warrior. It also feels terrible to lose against patron warrior. It also feels terrible to win against patron warrior.

I don't think the deck brings much happiness.
"Well, I..."
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2464 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:24 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 2463, popsofctown wrote:It also feels terrible to win against patron warrior.

I normally feel pretty good when I win against patron. Can be tricky to play against it at times. Rewarding when it works out.
Count Dooku
Count Dooku
Mafia Scum
Count Dooku
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2465 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Post by Count Dooku »

In post 2455, popsofctown wrote:a 4 mana 5/6 with "Battlecry: Frost Shock a friendly minion"

That is pretty accurate, you are right. But I would change the battlecry to "Frost Shock a friendly minion (8 out of 10 times) OR do absolutely nothing bad (or even something good) (2 out of 10 times).

We also should talk about how it does in real game situations when dropped on curve.

I play Hungry Dragon on turn 4 on A) an empty board/ B) he has something like a Dark Iron Dwarf for example. It gives him an average minion, say, a C) Lowly Squire / D) Southsea Deckhand.

My opponent plays an average 5 drop, like Clockwork Knight (let's say it cannot buff anything), and
A) since the Hungry Dragon is my only minion, and the 1-drop is his only minion, he attacks my face with the Squire.
B) -> C) He still cannot kill my Dragon with them, so still goes for the face.
B) -> D) he can kill my Dragon with DID and the Deckhand. If he chooses to do so, the Hungry Dragon was the same as an Ogre Magni for example, which is bad, but it is a "bad case scenario" since he had the board control already before turn 4.

If it was not ( B) + D) ), the Dragon is still alive, so it can trade very effectively with the Clockwork Knight. And even if he kills the Dragon next turn with the 1-drop, the Hungry Dragon traded 1 for 1 with a 5-drop. Which is pretty good I should say.
So the Hungry Dragon don't even need to be combo'd with other stuff. It can be very good on its own, too.

Sure, sometimes it gives your opponent a Dust Devil, a Zombie Chow or a Webspinner... But the Shredder may give you Doomsayer or Lorewalker Cho. And Ragnaros can kill your opponent's Sylvanas who then steals Ragnaros. And the Boom Bots can trigger Patrons and Eggs. I still pick all of them all the time if I can.

TLDR I think Hungry Dragon is a little bit underestimated by most players. Of course I pick Yeti and Shredder and stuff over it, but when I end up with 2 Hungry Dragons in my arena deck I am not like "What the hell am I going to do with these piece of shit cards?!"
Get to Know a Sith Lord
RIP Sir Christopher Lee
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2466 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:54 am

Post by popsofctown »

"A-D" is the frightening "Lost Tallstrider that gives my opponent a buff receptacle" scenario.

Yeah I agree sometimes Hungry Dragon is ok. I don't know how often opponents in the 7+ win range will willingly throw a 5/5 onto the board to hang out with a 5/6 if their hand has any other available plays. And that initiative issue is kinda the problem with Hungry Dragon. You can throw an Ogre onto the board against a guy who controls a Water Elemental, and it's reasonably likely he can't do anything about the Ogre eating the water elemental. He might do 4 damage in advance to make sure it's a trade, but he'll pay a fair price for it. Throwing down a Hungry Dragon because you see a 3/5 or 5/5 you want to eat with it is almost impossible to actually succeed with because the spawned minion can help disrupt the trading process, it can get Sarge'd and paired with Darkbomb to kill the dragon, or it can attack another needs-to-be-removed thing from your board to free up mana for answering Hungry Dragon or taunting. Or occasionally the 1 drop is just Ready for Action himself.
"Well, I..."
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #2467 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:10 am

Post by Ellibereth »

In post 2463, popsofctown wrote:You've probably lost a lot with other decks too, but it feels terrible to lose using patron warrior. It also feels terrible to win using Patron Warrior. It also feels terrible to lose against patron warrior. It also feels terrible to win against patron warrior.

I don't think the deck brings much happiness.

I got golden warrior from 250ish wins in less than a week when the deck was first getting popular kappa.
FLASH OF GREEN
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2468 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:14 am

Post by DrDolittle »

Assume that eaxh warrior game is conservatively 10 minutes and you didnt lose a single game, thats 2500 minutes which is a full time job lol
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #2469 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:16 am

Post by Ellibereth »

I kinda played like 10+ hourish a day for a period of my life. I think I'm almost at 10k wins through all my accounts now zzzz.
FLASH OF GREEN
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2470 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:32 am

Post by popsofctown »

That seems a little excessive..
"Well, I..."
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #2471 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:33 am

Post by Iecerint »

He wanted to be the very best.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2472 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:54 am

Post by popsofctown »

Like no one ever was?
"Well, I..."
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2473 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:44 pm

Post by DeathNote »

Whoa... Foe-reaper has got to be one of the best legendaries you can get for arena... I couldn't deal with it at all. He just kept eating cards and buffing it.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #2474 (ISO) » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:45 am

Post by Brandi »

This fucking brawl lmao

Return to “The Arcade”